PDA

View Full Version : At what price would you buy the beats pro's

uncut69
02-28-2012, 02:24 PM
I got a pair for $160 on craigslist from this kid who got em for christmas. My friend just got some hd-25 IIs and honestly I like the beats better. :teef:

RDRCK
02-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Cause they look cooler?

I'd pay 50 bucks for a pair if I weren't embarrassed about being seen in public with them on.

:shrug:

Divercity
02-28-2012, 02:28 PM
I got a pair for $160 on craigslist from this kid who got em for christmas. My friend just got some hd-25 IIs and honestly I like the beats better. :teef:

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/7/72573/1388097-1382965_riveting_tale_chap_super_super.jpg

uncut69
02-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Cause they look cooler?

I'd pay 50 bucks for a pair if I weren't embarrassed about being seen in public with them on.

embarrassed to wear them in public?? clearly you are unfamiliar with the joy of pissing off hipsters. the dirty looks warm my heart

deejayjsin
02-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Cause they look cooler?

Hahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sween
02-28-2012, 02:47 PM
There is a dude who wears them at my gym. I can't help but shake my head when I see them. They're hideous.

I'd buy them for maybe up to $100, with the sole intention of reselling them to someone like you for $160.

RDRCK
02-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Hipsters get way too much hate. I love hipsters, honestly. They go to shows, they dance, they have fun, they spend money on the "scene", they listen to relatively good (better than top 40) music. I would rather have a floor full of hipsters than the typical bar crowd (with a few brostep-cum-UKG/Bass shitheads interspersed here and there) any day :shrug:

Andrew B
02-28-2012, 02:51 PM
embarrassed to wear them in public?? clearly you are unfamiliar with the joy of pissing off hipsters. the dirty looks warm my heart

Define hipster. Explain why Beats would piss off said hipster.

Estacy
02-28-2012, 03:13 PM
I would buy Beats if they were 40 euros, no more no less. the sound is crap (imho) and the battery thing is just stupid, it also feels way too cheap.

DJNR
02-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Like Sween said, I would buy them for $100 and resell them immediately.

Honestly, the Beats are too "flashy" for me to wear in public. I would feel like such a dickwad walking around in those.

g-sep
02-28-2012, 03:31 PM
For walking around: Senheiser ear buds
For spinnin my records: A quality set of cans that won't eat shit when I throw them in my bag or drop them 6' to the floor. (TMA-1's for me)

uncut69
02-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Define hipster. Explain why Beats would piss off said hipster.

pretentious as hell, overly concerned with what other people are doing. if observing a person strolling around town with beats on evicts strong negative emotion from you, you probably are one

Ive yet to meet a person in real life unimpressed by these things, with the exception of one or two people who Id rather spend 400 bucks on beats than walk a mile in their shoes.

As far as resale, there's not a used pair on ebay for under 200

Andrew B
02-28-2012, 04:41 PM
pretentious as hell, overly concerned with what other people are doing. if observing a person strolling around town with beats on evicts strong negative emotion from you, you probably are one

Alright, so you have no idea what a hipster is. Carry on.

Phil Noize
02-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Bowers & Wilkins P5s are the phones to have for the street/train. Check 'em out ...

http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Headphones/Headphones/P5

uncut69
02-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Alright, so you have no idea what a hipster is. Carry on.

with that very hipster response, I'm assuming you have far greater knowledge of hipster ways. please inform me

Boomcie
02-28-2012, 08:30 PM
:lol:

DJNR
02-28-2012, 09:21 PM
with that very hipster response, I'm assuming you have far greater knowledge of hipster ways. please inform me

I'm a hipster. COMEATMEBRO.

Andrew B
02-28-2012, 09:37 PM

:facepalm:

drzinc
02-28-2012, 09:40 PM
I would never buy them at any price. My Koss Porta-Pro @ $50 sounds better than any beats.

Manu
02-29-2012, 02:30 AM
Why buy these when there are much better options anywhere else. These things are a testimony for those who know jack shit about headphones. They're flimsy, look tacky and go through batteries like there's no tomorrow.

Would not buy, whatever the price.

That's what they all say, "unwanted Christmas / birthday present, brand new unopened at 40% of the regular price". Then you end up with some fakes. Congrats :tup:

Check this one out, the punch line is a killer: http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/solo-beats-by-dre-headphones--5-for-200--checkout-our-other-colours-we-also-do-bulk-deals/97415496

These are the headphones endorsed by the top athletes of the world.

1 = £60 Grab a bargain

or

5 for £200 why not buy and sell yourself?

We have RED, WHITE, YELLOW, BLACK & PURPLE

These headphones are BRAND NEW and SEALED.

Treat yourself to a new level of quality.

FYI - If you are one of those scammers who ask me to post to Africa forget it!

the top athletes of the woooooorld. Now check this link out and play at spot the fake: http://brisbane.gumtree.com.au/f-beats-by-dre-Stuff-for-Sale-stereo-audio-W0QQCatIdZ18625QQKeywordZbeatsQ20byQ20dre

Rothgery
02-29-2012, 02:53 AM
yeah i wouldn't be caught wearing beats around my neck either - garbage. I try to edumacate people that recommend beats to me - falls on deaf ears, pardon the pun. I've actually listened to them so I can know what I'm talking about when I talk shit about them.. over-driven bass and they feel like I'm going to break them by just putting them on - 300$ no thanks. I'll buy a pair of AKG's for that price thank you very much

deejayjsin
02-29-2012, 03:05 AM
http://i44.tinypic.com/35jdl7a.jpg
I had to quote myself...lol

Manu
02-29-2012, 04:08 AM
I forgot to use the words "fashion accessories".

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/02/lil-wayne-wearing-1-million-beats-by-dre-headphones-is-a-diamond-studded-mess-image-cache/

The headphones Lil Wayne is wearing are very likely the same pair LMFAO wore at the Super Bowl which were made with 114 carats of diamond by Graff Diamonds and there are just so many things wrong with this abomination. Yeah, I get it, I get it, he’s weird. He’s an alien. Whatever. Still, it shouldn’t excuse him from insane behavior! Let’s figure out what you did wrongsies Weezy.

http://media.gizmodo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/lilwayne-640x360.jpg

Places where diamonds are great: On earrings. On necklaces. On bracelets. On big ass chains. On rings. On tiaras. On most jewelry. On most body jewelry. In jewelry boxes. In safe deposit boxes. Places where they’re not great? On headphones. And in your butt.
Places where it’s acceptable to wear headphones: Walking around. On the train. On a plane. At work. At home. At the gym. Places where headphones aren’t acceptable? Courtside at an entertaining basketball game.
Places where it’s okay to wear Beats by Dre headphones: None. Not with these much better headphones around.
So Mr. Carter, by wearing your diamond studded Beats by Dre headphones at the NBA All Star Game yesterday, you broke three of the golden rules of diamond wearing, headphone using life. Tsk, tsk.See Lil Wayne, if you wore diamond studded Grados at an unentertaining basketball game, I wouldn’t be mad at you. They’re open-back! They sound fantastic! You have to support your fellow hip hop artists. All good. But what you have on your head is a million dollar mistake. A flashing ring o’ bling of rip off cheap taste.

I'm so bling yo.

Chay
02-29-2012, 04:24 AM
I wouldn't buy one, at any price. For that price, there's too many headphones out there that's worth your money.

mostapha
02-29-2012, 10:08 AM
pretentious as hell, overly concerned with what other people are doing. if observing a person strolling around town with beats on evicts strong negative emotion from you, you probably are oneI'm with Andrew B. You have no idea what a hipster is. Yuppie would probably be appropriate. Judgmental prick would definitely work.

Hipsters are/were the dead-end of the indie scene once they realized that authenticity and originality were the only things that mattered…and that it had been taken to such ridiculous extremes that it was explicitly unattainable. it wasn't enough to listen to indie bands and ride a beaten up 30 year old bike. You had to listen to bands that no one heard of and ride a track bike (which doesn't have brakes and can't coast). Unfortunately, the instant you like a band, that means one person has heard them…and they're too cool for you. And riding track bikes alongside cars is stupider than trying to shove your dick in a pencil sharpener.

So, what did they do? Did they accept that they'd already jumped the sharks of authenticity and originality and live a normal life? No. That would be too easy. Instead, they started specifically liking things that people hate. Left over, crappy, 80s pop that the artists apologized for; 70s fassion; paying $6 for a tall boy of PBR. They do things purely for the irony…without laughing. It consumes them, encompasses their decision making.

It's not just about flannel, 40 year old clothes, and gigantic glasses that never looked good on anyone. It's about turning your entire life into a joke.

And it's unforgivable.

All we're doing is claiming that Beats suck. If you prefer them to HD-25s, either you have no idea what sound quality is or your ears are shot.

Ive yet to meet a person in real life unimpressed by these things, with the exception of one or two people who Id rather spend 400 bucks on beats than walk a mile in their shoes.

Well, I'm not in real life, but I hate them. I've heard them, and If re-selling wasn't an option, I wouldn't take them for free.

Rek_Aviles
02-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Wifey brought me a pair for xmas, thinking I wanted to replace my current cans. :uhoh:

Asked her to swap for some Xbox wireless headset. Best swap ever!!

uncut69
02-29-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm with Andrew B. You have no idea what a hipster is. Yuppie would probably be appropriate. Judgmental prick would definitely work.

Hipsters are/were the dead-end of the indie scene once they realized that authenticity and originality were the only things that mattered…and that it had been taken to such ridiculous extremes that it was explicitly unattainable. it wasn't enough to listen to indie bands and ride a beaten up 30 year old bike. You had to listen to bands that no one heard of and ride a track bike (which doesn't have brakes and can't coast). Unfortunately, the instant you like a band, that means one person has heard them…and they're too cool for you. And riding track bikes alongside cars is stupider than trying to shove your dick in a pencil sharpener.

So, what did they do? Did they accept that they'd already jumped the sharks of authenticity and originality and live a normal life? No. That would be too easy. Instead, they started specifically liking things that people hate. Left over, crappy, 80s pop that the artists apologized for; 70s fassion; paying $6 for a tall boy of PBR. They do things purely for the irony…without laughing. It consumes them, encompasses their decision making.

It's not just about flannel, 40 year old clothes, and gigantic glasses that never looked good on anyone. It's about turning your entire life into a joke.

And it's unforgivable.

All we're doing is claiming that Beats suck. If you prefer them to HD-25s, either you have no idea what sound quality is or your ears are shot.

I appreciate your response, makes more sense than :facepalm: I guess I see the error in my choice of vocab. Anyway, I understand why dj's and audiophiles don't like beats. They are definitely overpriced, successfully marketed to the masses, and it sure is annoying when people tell you that you should have gotten beats if you have any other headphones. But, to say they suck period is a little unfair. The reason I prefer them over HD-25s is because although the sens have better clarity, they lack the bass which is required for enjoying dubstep to the fullest. Yep, beats and dubstep. two pretty heavy strikes on this forum....:lol:

mostapha
02-29-2012, 01:29 PM
HD-25s are already bass heavy compared to the rest of the headphones/monitors I like.

I can't stand people like Skrillex, and I'd never make it through a full set of dubstep, but it's awesome as one more groove in a breaks set. And having actually heard it, the stuff I like won't play correctly on any headphones…they don't go low enough no matter what the marketing "20-20khz" mumbo jumbo says. If you don't have a good subwoofer, it's not worth it. And it just isn't possible to build that kind of bass response into headphones.

All audio stuff is about compromises. When you're talking headphones or IEMs, real sub bass isn't physically possible…I'd rather sacrifice lame attempts at it to hear the rest of the audio spectrum with some clarity.

For that reason, I'd buy Skull Candy before Beats. They're not very clear either, but they cost $10 and look a lot less stupid. If beats were enough cheaper than $10 to justify looking like that much of an idiot…they'd be awesome. But, again, no one's going to pay me to wear those headphones and not bitch about me saying "because they paid for my studio monitors" when anyone asked why I chose them.

Jason Cerna
02-29-2012, 02:40 PM
having owned and used better headphones, i wouldn't waste money on beats.

de.j.l
02-29-2012, 03:31 PM
60$ sonys > beats any day imo. Those things are UGLY and one drop = snap = $$.

Im a DJ I already spent all my money on gear..

sobi
02-29-2012, 08:18 PM
I'm not sure what's worse... the morons who swear by Beats and think they are the end all be all of quality cans, or the condescending douches who don't give enough credit just so they can flex their "knowledge" on audio.
Yes... there is lots of better headphones, but if you look at the specs, the truth is that the high end Beats are VERY good headphones. I get it... you don't like them because they are overpriced. Why not just leave it at that instead of trying to push more bad shit on them when it isn't the case. People buying them are already fairly stupid to waste money on them when other cans with equal or better quality can be had for half the price. Why make yourself look just as stupid with the statements smashing them being just as overhyped as the headphones you seem to hate so much.

Manu
03-01-2012, 02:18 AM
:facepalm:

Chay
03-01-2012, 06:24 AM
I'm not sure what's worse... the morons who swear by Beats and think they are the end all be all of quality cans, or the condescending douches who don't give enough credit just so they can flex their "knowledge" on audio.
Yes... there is lots of better headphones, but if you look at the specs, the truth is that the high end Beats are VERY good headphones. I get it... you don't like them because they are overpriced. Why not just leave it at that instead of trying to push more bad shit on them when it isn't the case. People buying them are already fairly stupid to waste money on them when other cans with equal or better quality can be had for half the price. Why make yourself look just as stupid with the statements smashing them being just as overhyped as the headphones you seem to hate so much.

It's ok if you have a pair yourself, what's done is done...

NickJames
03-01-2012, 10:29 AM
I'd buy these:

http://i.imgur.com/8wNHK.jpg

g-sep
03-01-2012, 10:33 AM
^^yup!

Hausgeist
03-01-2012, 10:01 PM
A hipster used to be this:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2usisnc.jpg

Now it is this:

http://i44.tinypic.com/ay1xf7.jpg

Chay
03-02-2012, 06:46 AM
A hipster used to be this:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2usisnc.jpg

Now it is this:

http://i44.tinypic.com/ay1xf7.jpg

Are you going to post that on every other thread Hausgeist? :P

Hausgeist
03-02-2012, 07:07 AM
Are you going to post that on every other thread Hausgeist? :P

Nah, I first got the idea and posted it here. Then I decided to chop it a bit for the ot thing.

Chay
03-02-2012, 07:13 AM
Nah, I first got the idea and posted it here. Then I decided to chop it a bit for the ot thing.

Still funny every time I see it :lol:

DJ Braz
03-02-2012, 09:19 AM
i think there are some ppl here that don't know the difference between the beats "studio" and the "pros"...the studio are the plastic ones with the batteries...the Pros do not use batteries...i dont own a pair myself but have used them before from ppl that own them and the pros are actually well built and looks like it can take a beating unlike the studio's...overpriced? yes!!! but i think people just hate for the sake of hating imho...

M!TCH
03-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Cause they look cooler?

I'd buy them for $50 and turn around and sell them. Everyone at my college has them and I just shake my head. I've worn them for a day and think the lows are way over emphasized. Not to mention, they make me feel like I am in Alaska and I need my ears scalding hot.

sobi
03-02-2012, 10:51 AM
It's ok if you have a pair yourself, what's done is done...

You don't read too well, huh?

Djsmylez
03-02-2012, 11:11 AM
The studios are decent cans, if anything, because of the noise canceling. Gotta protect your ears.

With that said, they do carry a certain cache to own a pair. As a dj, part of the game (as much as i hate to say it) is 'looking the part'.

Beats studios and pros are stylish, and there's no denying that.

Think of beats as the 'Britney Spears' of cans. She cant sing, and is a train-wreck upstairs, but you cant knock the fact that she outs asses in the seats. Shes great at selling sex (i can def see getting a chick to go home with you cause i happen to be wearing beats, cause she sees wayne and lebron with them) She has a huge following, yet will probably never win a Grammy.

Where hd's are more like the 'Christina Aguilera'. she can sing her but off. Arguably, One of the greatest voices of our generation. But can get overshadowed by people who look only at the surface... Not ironically, she has many Grammys.

The world is dominated by superficial people. Why not take advantage of them?

Just my 2 coins of little value...

Chay
03-02-2012, 12:14 PM
You don't read too well, huh?

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/061/294/1106514-cool_story_bro_super.jpg?1279885294

Lazerick
03-02-2012, 01:34 PM
When BestBuy had them on display I checked them out, I did not like the sound, my son dropped them, SNAP!!!! I never looked at them again, the damn things broke when they swung into the display. I drop my headphone all the time and when they fail a simple/accidental drop test fagetaboutit!!!!

Sween
03-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Wifey brought me a pair for xmas, thinking I wanted to replace my current cans. :uhoh:

Asked her to swap for some Xbox wireless headset. Best swap ever!!

Swapportunity - The opportunity to swap your over priced expensive piece of crap headphones for something you might actually desire to own.

theillone
03-02-2012, 05:34 PM
I picked up a pair of Beats By Dre Pros from Monster when they were having their %50 off sale in January. They cost me $99. Well worth it.

are they over-hyped? yes
are they over priced? yep
are they the best sounding headphones ever? nope

But the Pros are built like a tank. There's a huge difference between the Pros (%100 Aluminum) & the plastic Studio & Solo models. The hinges on them are stronger than any headphones I have ever owned, including the HDJ 2000s.

bernardgregory
03-03-2012, 11:37 AM
people swear by their "excellent quality" but really they are overpriced PsOS

but i like red and i cant find a good looking red pair of headphones.

Id wear beats by dre if they were free

DjBlanco
03-03-2012, 11:49 AM
id buy them for free my dog needs a pair of cans

pete
03-03-2012, 12:57 PM
My 3 year old uses my HD25s. I trust their durability that much.
I would not buy beats at any price because it would hack into my budget that could be put forward to proper headphones.
These days I hardly DJ, so my headphone requirements are more towards open-back hifi headphones that sound like heaven and look like ass.
The beats are not like that and some even have white-noise creating 'noise cancelling' features. Stuff I would pay not to have.

sobi
03-04-2012, 07:20 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/061/294/1106514-cool_story_bro_super.jpg?1279885294

You could have saved a bit of image searching by just typing "guess you're right".

Chay
03-05-2012, 12:23 AM
You could have saved a bit of image searching by just typing "guess you're right".

Image searching? Naw, I got this bookmarked, son.

Manu
03-05-2012, 07:40 AM
http://exiledonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/snake-oil.png

sobi
03-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Image searching? Naw, I got this bookmarked, son.

I'll keep your low reading comprehension and unoriginality in consideration in the future, kid.:)

Chay
03-05-2012, 10:17 PM
I'll keep your low reading comprehension and unoriginality in consideration in the future, kid.:)

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

DJNR
03-06-2012, 03:57 AM
So beats had this to say the other day....
http://i.imgur.com/FzURs.jpg

alen_p
03-08-2012, 12:57 PM
I got a pair for my b-day from my brother (so they didn't cost me a dime, :))...white beats pro that is...I use them when hunting for tracks and will also when I start producing later in the year, noise cancellation is very good, and they're quite comfortable despite of their size and weight...I like how they sound, so there is no need for new ones....I tried DJing with them but the're not really built for that in my opinion, they fold only in one direction, you cannot monitor from shoulder, they are just bulky and look kind of tacky when playing...so I'm sticking with my HDJ2K for DJing and Beats Pro for production....

alen_p

ezelkow1
03-08-2012, 01:39 PM
I would avoid them for production, just like you wouldnt use a dj headphone, you shouldnt use beats for production either. They are too bass heavy and you wont get an accurate representation of your music what so ever

alen_p
03-08-2012, 02:17 PM
I would avoid them for production, just like you wouldnt use a dj headphone, you shouldnt use beats for production either. They are too bass heavy and you wont get an accurate representation of your music what so ever

What would you suggest for production then? I have a pair of HDJ2K, old HDJ1K, old Sony MDRV-700...all those are Dj headphones, with only HDJ2K being new and in good condition, the other two are working OK but they are not what they used to be from use (and sometimes abuse by people I borrowed them to) over the years...

To be honest I like bass heavy music that's why I like how Beats sound, since I'm gonna produce deep house, however what you said about sound accuracy worries me....where did you get that info?

alen_p

ezelkow1
03-08-2012, 02:34 PM
you should be able to find the frequency response of the beats somewhere, but in general all dj headphones hype the bass end since it helps with mixing. However when producing with them it then presents your bass louder than what it actually is, so when you start eq'ing/whatever you are eq'ing it as if its louder than what it actually is.

Theres lots of options of production headphones, probably some threads around here but all over the internet, you just generally want something with a flat response so no frequencies get over-represented. Just off the top of my head theres akg k240's, krk kns series, ath-m50's, beyerdynamics, theres a couple senheisers that are good. Some people like the sony 7506's, but alot of people think they are too harsh in the highs and arent that great for producing but good for general monitoring tasks. Best is to go try some in a store if you can, see if you want open or closed back, which ones sound clearest to you, etc

Heres an example, http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/monster-beats-dr-dre-solo
notice there is that 5db hump right around the bass frequencies compared to more flat headphones. Now thats the solos, but I would think alot of the beats do something similar

alen_p
03-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks, I will take that into consideration. Since I will have KRK monitors, I might go with KRK KNS 8400....

alen_p

alen_p
03-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Double Post

Badger
03-11-2012, 02:03 PM
$500. No; maybe $1000.

[EDIT: Sorry, I misread the topic and thought it said "At what price would someone have to pay you to be seen using the Beats Pros at an event."]

:badger:

H.R. Smokinsh!t
03-16-2012, 10:58 PM
I don't know whats more humiliating, Dre Beats or Skullcandy.

H.R. Smokinsh!t
03-16-2012, 11:00 PM
oh, and I would pay 2 easy installments of $19.99 with a free silicone iPod case. -cuz that's what they worth.

Scrap McNapps
03-18-2012, 08:23 PM
I can't justify buying a WIRED headset that requires batteries to function.

deejaygo
03-18-2012, 09:28 PM
I can't justify buying a WIRED headset that requires batteries to function.

+1 on that.

Manu
03-19-2012, 08:28 AM
What sort of muppet would buy noise cancelling headphones for DJing anyway.

thehadgi
03-19-2012, 08:32 AM
What sort of muppet would buy noise cancelling headphones for DJing anyway.

http://oddbloggings.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/dj-kermit.jpg

Divercity
03-19-2012, 08:41 AM
http://oddbloggings.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/dj-kermit.jpg

Lol. +rep

Manu
03-19-2012, 12:33 PM
It does make sense...

http://i31.tinypic.com/spwsaf.gif

Andrew B
03-19-2012, 12:40 PM
http://i.imgur.com/p9cC0.gif

Manu
03-19-2012, 12:41 PM
http://files.sharenator.com/kermit_gif_Kermit_the_Frog-s291x197-93055.gif

Tito Lopez
04-24-2012, 10:59 AM
lol!!!!!!!

DJNR
04-24-2012, 12:47 PM
lol!!!!!!!

I like how you deliberately found both topics involving beats just so you could post "lol" and "haha".