PDA

View Full Version : Is this section just a waste of time?

Sigma
06-03-2013, 06:38 PM
While it's called "Site Discussion" it's often being used as a feedback/suggestions section. While some good suggestions have been posted, has a single one been implemented? Do the people who actually have the power to make changes to this site even take any notice of what users are saying in here?

It would be nice to get a response from the admins about this: -

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?26647-Should-there-be-2-separate-Mix-Submissions-sections-(Read-post-1-before-voting!)

.....an issue that has been raised by numerous people across multiple threads over several months.

KLH
06-03-2013, 06:52 PM
It's a feedback mechanism that takes a while to gestate. I would imagine that Stripe and -J are very busy. Still, implementing a change shouldn't be done willy-nilly.

I'm sure that when Stripe and/or -J pop up, they'll talk about suggested changes and invite more discussion prior to implementing. Then, one or both will look at what it takes to do the change. Then, they'll do it.

-KLH

Sigma
06-03-2013, 07:15 PM
I don't think that's a good enough excuse to be honest with you.

On DJF 1.0, both of those guys were here a lot. On DJF 2.0, they're pretty much never here. I dunno who Johnny Thrice is, but he's never here either. I know people might have busy real lives, but when you own/run one of the more popular DJ forums on the web, if you don't have time to dedicate to it then find someone who does and put them in the admin group.

This place is like a ship with no captain at the moment and has been for months.

Baller95
06-03-2013, 07:30 PM
I'll take the admin spot if it's being given up :teef:

Sigma
06-03-2013, 07:31 PM
You'll probably be 40 by the time one of the existing admins replies to say yes or no. :P

M!TCH
06-03-2013, 07:49 PM
I know people might have busy real lives, but when you own/run one of the more popular DJ forums on the web, if you don't have time to dedicate to it then find someone who does and put them in the admin group.

This place is like a ship with no captain at the moment and has been for months.

:stupid:

What's the point in running a forum and asking for donations to be able to cover the expenses if it eventually loses people as the forum never changes. Granted, the one thing I missed the most got added :orly: so I cannot complain too much.

Baller95
06-03-2013, 08:13 PM
You'll probably be 40 by the time one of the existing admins replies to say yes or no. :P

:orly: :lol:

Will MaXimal
06-04-2013, 11:58 AM
The issue is that each request in the feedback section becomes its own mini project. Some are simpler than others yes, but some are more complex and require some research for implementing.

I don't want to make excuses for anyone, but I would like to acknowledge the fact that our current admins have been working hard for over a decade to maintain things. As the MODS (before me)

The main admins are around, they just are going down a new road in their personal lives. I am sure they see this and will be addressing things soon enough :tup:

DJNR
06-04-2013, 12:59 PM
I call captain. :zany:

Adzm00
06-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Where is mambo number 5 when you need him?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpkihkXFjv1qaxo2mo1_1312768627_cover.jpg

Sigma
06-04-2013, 01:52 PM
I would like to acknowledge the fact that our current admins have been working hard for over a decade to maintain things.
Come on man. It ain't exactly "hard work". Once it's all set up, it basically runs itself apart from doing the occasional forum software update - on the old site, the forum software wasn't updated for years either.

I built a forum with 2 other guys 9½ years ago and have been running it ever since so I know what's involved in it. You need someone that is passionate about the site and who has at least some free time to address these issues, but now there's a big backlog of threads that will likely never get sorted. Some of the issues are trivial, but some - like the Mix Subs thing - are genuinely pissing people off and it's having a negative effect on the site.

Baller95
06-04-2013, 02:00 PM
I have some experience with creating forums and adding another section/subsection literally takes 5 minutes. I'm not sure how vBulletin works but I don't think it'll be too hard?

Sigma
06-04-2013, 02:02 PM
I have some experience with creating forums and adding another section/subsection literally takes 5 minutes. I'm not sure how vBulletin works but I don't think it'll be too hard?
Exactly. You go into the Admin CP and do this: -

1. Create new section, name it, add the description.
2. Set permissions for which user groups can access it.
3. Assign any mods/admins to it.

Done.

Baller95
06-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Exactly. You go into the Admin CP and do this: -

1. Create new section, name it, add the description.
2. Set permissions for which user groups can access it.
3. Assign any mods/admins to it.

Done.

Yeah, less than 5 minutes for sure!

windspeed36
06-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Well if it's any consolation, one thing that was suggested not to do wasn't implemented and that was moving to vB 5..

Will MaXimal
06-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Just to let everyone know, we are listening and currently conducting a review on how to handle such requests in the near future :)