PDA

View Full Version : Evolution of a DJ Booth

WillieB69
06-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Remember this?

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s567/OffTheRecordAudio/DSCI1027sm_zpsbd5bcc10.jpg

As of last night's birthday bash:

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s567/OffTheRecordAudio/DSCI1044sm_zps88d56989.jpg

Still not perfect but improving!

Baller95
06-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Much better! Nice man :tup:

allensmusic
06-02-2013, 12:13 PM
That is an amazing difference. I know you didnt seem to understand some of our critical comments in your previous thread, I am glad you took it in a positive way and incorporated the changes.

Dix
06-02-2013, 12:18 PM
First, its looking much better but you still have some wires to conceal back there & clean up. but you are looking much better. Kudos to you for working on your set up :) :tup:
So actually, you just made a facade to sit on top of your existing table? Hummm, I had not thought about that! I have been thinking of building myself a facade to sit on the floor up to about 12 inches above the table to hide my equipment on the table but, this may be the idea I have been overlooking! Why not just make myself a 12" facade to sit on top of my table? All I want is to hide the equipment.

To clarify, (I know some of you don't agree with this & I understand why & I can agree to a point but we wont get into that) we take chairs & we sit at our table. So I don't need anything that is much higher than our table but yet will hide the equipment sitting on the table, but that we can see over & people can see us. However, if I do it this way, I wont be able to put lights behind the facade for effect which is what my intent was, although some of you do not use up lights for your facade & the option is always there for me not to use lights as well.

Currently, I use a table cloth on the table & another one to skirt the front & sides of the table & I use the skirt lifted up just enough to cover the back of the equipment & the wires to make it neat & clean as possible.

What are your thoughts on this guys?

allensmusic
06-02-2013, 12:23 PM
I agree completely dixie. a short table top facade, an occasional chair during cocktail hour, and the wires on the truss need attended to.

the plugs going into the three way adapter is a simple fix. put the orange thing behind the joint at the top of the tree, and stick something there to hide it, like a small black cloth. zip ties are cheap, buy lots of them, or velcro strips or something. keep the wires tight against the truss.

WillieB69
06-02-2013, 12:37 PM
First, its looking much better but you still have some wires to conceal back there & clean up.
Yup. I know that light stand is still looking rough.
It didn't help that the outlet was right behind it on the wall either.
I'm gonna have to rework my lights anyway, I think.....
Might make it easier to get those cables under control!

So actually, you just made a facade to sit on top of your existing table? Hummm, I had not thought about that! I have been thinking of building myself a facade to sit on the floor up to about 12 inches above the table to hide my equipment on the table but, this may be the idea I have been overlooking! Why not just make myself a 12" facade to sit on top of my table? All I want is to hide the equipment.
Actually, I ended up making a full length facade. I caught so much flack about tabletop facades looking like crap, so I went in whole hog.
I bought 4 panels of 2x4 particle board, painted the backs black and covered the front with felt cloth. (If I had it to do over again, it would NOT have been felt!)
I put hinges on the corners and then just push the two front panels together. The two halves fold up and transport nice and easy!

Dix
06-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Actually, I ended up making a full length facade. I caught so much flack about tabletop facades looking like crap, so I went in whole hog.
I bought 4 panels of 2x4 particle board, painted the backs black and covered the front with felt cloth. (If I had it to do over again, it would NOT have been felt!)
I put hinges on the corners and then just push the two front panels together. The two halves fold up and transport nice and easy!

Ok, thanks. I'm not sure how well a short, table top facade would look either, I was just asking for opinions really.

Also, no, I dont think I would want felt either, Its going to pick up everything that gets near it. Anyway, thanks for the pics & your looking much better. Thanks for the advice as well. Rep if I can..

Defiance
06-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Use this for your power wires on your lighting tree
http://www.electricalhub.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/p/o/polyethylene-split-wire-loom-black-61-1034.jpg

I also found the electrical tape at harbor freight to be the best to use. If you haven't already, daisy chain all the lights together, make your light setup so you only need one power wire to plug in.

djeternal
06-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Much better. You might consider something to fasten the cables together. Like - http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Hook-Loop-Fastening-Cable/dp/B004AFUJZC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1370203686&sr=8-4&keywords=wire+velcro

DJ Nada
06-02-2013, 03:53 PM
Getting better, but still not quite there. Research speaker placement, and get some velcro ties.

http://www.hosatech.com/dimg/thm/t350_0783c5e9d5873bf3565b865135533617.jpg
Hosa IEC piggyback. This will clean up the lighting on that tripod nicely.

WillieB69
06-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the input, guys.
I definitely gotta get that light stand under control.
I'm thinking of getting another T-bar and dividing up the lights. I'm not using any DMX but right now, the lights are linked in pairs as master/slaves.
Get rid of all that, split everything up and it should be a lot easier to get under control.

Ntertainment
06-03-2013, 12:14 AM
How long is that table in the first picture 12 feet?

sss18734
06-03-2013, 12:26 AM
How long is that table in the first picture 12 feet?

Looks like a standard 8' table to me...

fatcatdj
06-03-2013, 02:52 AM
Nice!
1. You are not blocking the door
2. Got rid of the First Baptist Church folding table
3. You left the plastic shed and fan at home
4. I do like the façade but its looks kind of high. You probably can DJ without wearing any pants.
5. I like your Ev's they are so easy on the ears.

Drewbdo
06-03-2013, 07:07 AM
Remember this?

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s567/OffTheRecordAudio/DSCI1027sm_zpsbd5bcc10.jpg

As of last night's birthday bash:

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s567/OffTheRecordAudio/DSCI1044sm_zps88d56989.jpg

Still not perfect but improving!

When I first opened this thread, the second photo wasn't showing up... I thought, "What?! It looks exactly the same as his original!" :blank:

Then I refreshed the page, and WOW! :D

Much improved! Keep up the great work. +1 REP for your efforts and accepting the challenges to make your rig better looking. :)

EDIT - Must spread around the REP

Drewbdo
06-03-2013, 07:10 AM
Nice!
1. You are not blocking the door
2. Got rid of the First Baptist Church folding table
3. You left the plastic shed and fan at home
4. I do like the façade but its looks kind of high. You probably can DJ without wearing any pants.
5. I like your Ev's they are so easy on the ears.

... can DJ without wearing any pants... ?

You say that like it's a bad thing...

:lol: