PDA

View Full Version : How do you create this sound?

david safc
02-28-2012, 11:07 AM
http://youtu.be/MkAf3dZoMIc
In particular, the part from 5:30 to 6:30. Seems like he has 2 tracks going as well as a vocal loop? Is this just a case of having a good ear for rap hooks that would work if you looped them while playing 2 songs or what?

David Bowman
02-28-2012, 11:21 AM
it's just a matter of editing the video to make it look like he actually does something live for real.

NickJames
02-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Am I the only one that thinks something is "off" about this video... There's something about his confused expression and the timid way he touches the record/platter that just doesn't seem right... He also blatantly nudges the record when it's already perfectly mixed... I smell a pre-recorded mix.

MeowMix
02-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Am I the only one that thinks something is "off" about this video... There's something about his confused expression and the timid way he touches the record/platter that just doesn't seem right... He also blatantly nudges the record when it's already perfectly mixed... I smell a pre-recorded mix.

Umm yes my dear chap, I most enthusiastically concur with your observation.
http://ih2.redbubble.net/image.10096080.4575/fc,220x200,white.jpg

Jason Cerna
02-28-2012, 01:19 PM
he's just looping, nothing too difficult especially with the 4 on the floor music he's playing.

David Bowman
02-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Clearly a case of some early Peter Hook syndrome.

DJNR
02-28-2012, 03:16 PM
He looks so worried throughout the whole thing, and looks way too occupied for doing absolutely nothing.

Got a nice shot of pole dancer crotch 30 seconds in.

djfarcyde
02-28-2012, 03:42 PM
he uses remixes and custom edits. Probably very little looping involved.

sobi
02-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Why are you interested in how to create horrible music?. He's not necessarily bad, but his track selection is the type of stuff that makes me want to stuff sharp stuff in my ear canals.

DJNR
02-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Why are you interested in how to create horrible music?. He's not necessarily bad, but his track selection is the type of stuff that makes me want to stuff sharp stuff in my ear canals.

I got a hang over, FOOOOSHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

nolimitz
02-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Definitely a pre-recorded mix. At 2:15 his name drop comes in without him touching anything to trigger the sample while he's playing the air drums lol.

Sigma
02-28-2012, 06:38 PM
I don't think any of the posts made so far prove that it's pre-recorded.

It is obviously pre-recorded though, cos the video has been shot from multiple different angles and edited together and clearly it's not done by having multiple cameras on tripods filming one live set. Also, his hand movements during the section the OP is talking about don't always match up with the scratching you can hear.

I don't think the guy is a fake as such. He's just made a more fancy promo video than most people would do.

As for the bit the OP is talking about, it's a looped acapella on one side, but I don't know the songs he's using so it's hard to tell if it's just one song on the other side, or a pre-made mix/mashup of sorts using two songs. It's certainly not impossible to do live though.

DJ D Reddi
02-28-2012, 07:15 PM
nothing special........he looped the vocals and dropped the next track in at the cue point. nothing crazy about that. just make sure theres no lag when dropping ur tracks in and u can do it to. nice video editing tho

de.j.l
02-29-2012, 08:31 AM
<3 pre-recorded / visual djs ftw!

slim shady voice "nobody uses headphones anymore"

Interracial Tea
02-29-2012, 10:50 AM
I don't think any of the posts made so far prove that it's pre-recorded.

It is obviously pre-recorded though, cos the video has been shot from multiple different angles and edited together and clearly it's not done by having multiple cameras on tripods filming one live set. Also, his hand movements during the section the OP is talking about don't always match up with the scratching you can hear.

I don't think the guy is a fake as such. He's just made a more fancy promo video than most people would do.

As for the bit the OP is talking about, it's a looped acapella on one side, but I don't know the songs he's using so it's hard to tell if it's just one song on the other side, or a pre-made mix/mashup of sorts using two songs. It's certainly not impossible to do live though.

He's definitely not fake. The video mix might have been pre-recorded, but he has skills. He's 16 or 17 and already a regular DJ on Power 106, one of the largest radio stations in SoCal. He also went on a tour with some other famous YouTube stars, and now he's been headlining a bunch of clubs around SoCal.

djkvg
02-29-2012, 12:11 PM
hes a power 106 DJ here in LA. He's only 17 and doing pretty big things. i know he's a beast too. yeah its probably pre-recorded but he has talent =P

DJNR
02-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Man, power 106 changed a lot since the last time I heard it. Personally, I don't think he's anything special. However, good for him on getting in with one of the biggest radio stations in LA.

Ferryman
03-01-2012, 02:41 AM

Ha ha. I hear you! Bloody awful!

Era 7
03-01-2012, 04:26 AM
Man, power 106 changed a lot since the last time I heard it. Personally, I don't think he's anything special. However, good for him on getting in with one of the biggest radio stations in LA.

+1 seems like your local everyday top 40 club DJ...

David Bowman
03-01-2012, 09:34 AM
hes a power 106 DJ here in LA. He's only 17 and doing pretty big things. i know he's a beast too. yeah its probably pre-recorded but he has talent =P

Errrr. talent also includes a good track selection. I heard nothing but cheese top 40 :/

mantis
03-01-2012, 10:33 AM
entertaining video. not bad for a 17 year old. I say Good fotr him! He seem to enjoy what he is doing so its ok.

The Baxter
03-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Awful Dj name. Just terrible.

Sigma
03-01-2012, 01:29 PM
+1 seems like your local everyday top 40 club DJ...
Which DJs on here that play top 40 are mixing and scratching like that?

ampnation
03-02-2012, 07:15 AM
I've only barely dabbled with this type of mixing and that was on CDJ400's. I'm curious at just after the 5:00 mark for a few seconds it looks like he's doing something with the record which I assume is the cue deck at that point since I wasn't hearing any audible difference as a result. Does that level of touching cause some slipping? I'm guessing he's trying to get it beatmatched but the contact seems too incidental to have an effect.

DjBlanco
03-02-2012, 07:22 AM
i need to know who his videographer was i want my promo video to look like i did it in a high quality bedroom too!!!