PDA

View Full Version : Charging more for some venues?

Ntertainment
02-28-2012, 10:38 AM
I know it sounds crazy, first let me explain. I live in the midwest where we are not short on land. So everything is spread out, way out. Most places are very easy to get into for this reason, but some places, mostly on lakes are horrible. Last weekend the place i played at, had a very intricate ramp system to travel down one floor, outside with snow all over the place. It sucked balls. There is another place in town i just got a contract for that is up 2 flights of stairs and doesn't have an elevator!

When i give them a quote i don't always ask where the reception will be and tell them that this place will be more expensive because of the extra work. However would an amended contract be a bad idea? Or a list attached to every contract with places that will require an extra $100 for setup so i don't even have to remember to tell them?

mrkleen
02-28-2012, 10:52 AM
When i give them a quote i don't always ask where the reception will be

Well there is your first problem.

How can you give a quote without knowing all the pertinent details?

Once you send out a quote...you are bound to it, from an ethical stand point - and maybe even a legal one. You need to do more homework ahead of time so you dont end up looking unprofessional on the backside.

As for your initial question - yes, I certainly vary my price based on where the event is. Not dramatically - but if it is a known difficult room, and I have to pay someone extra to help me...then you can bet that cost gets passed along.

LiteTrix
02-28-2012, 11:00 AM
That addition to the contact like you said sounds like a good idea. I usually just ask them where their event is being held and then give my price based on that and a few other things. Otherwise I could be quoting them a price for an event 500 miles from me and I wouldn't know it.

DJ Scotch
02-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Agree with mrkleen,

You should not send quote without having the exact location. What if you send a quote assuming gig is 20 miles driving distance but actually it's 80 miles? Gas, Toll, extra hours for commute it all depends on the venue.

This is how I usually interact with clients.

Date & Time
Type of event
Venue
# of people
Must have
Wishlist
Budget
No quote before all this information .

Sween
02-28-2012, 11:10 AM
I like to have the location before I quote.

But I do give quotes without a location but include "extra charges apply for venues not on the ground floor level with ramp access" and "additional mileage rates may apply for venues outside of our normal service location". Also a line about "extra charges may apply for larger than normal rooms that require additional sound reinforcement" is good.

Sometimes they like to have a budget number before they have a venue... so you need to make sure it is not a final quote.

Quotes are one thing... Contracts are different. I will not sign a contract until after the venue is selected. Period.

Ntertainment
02-28-2012, 12:39 PM
I really messed up with this one, it's hard to keep track of everything but i think she told me it was going to be at another venue and then when the contract came in it said the worst one, at least for setup. I knew the wedding was going to be in the same town as me, city limits are 10 miles in any direction so i know the 80 mile thing isn't an option. This venue does like 2 weddings a year because of the stairs thing, It always slips under the radar. I'll just do i minimum setup just a few lights, and she'll have to understand.

I love music
02-28-2012, 01:10 PM
if the venue is a bitch to set-up and load you definatly should charge more and tell the client the reason you re charging extra

DJMC
02-28-2012, 01:27 PM
This is EXACTLY why I charge for "Coverage" and not playing hours.

Some venues -- a River Boat Hotel/Restaurant for example --require 3 hour load-in and setup time, and 2 hours for teardown and load out.

Why should that place cost the same as an Elks Lodge with only 30 minutes in and 30 minutes out?

That's why my prices for a 4 hour wedding reception can range from $700 to $1000 depending on the place!!!

I definitely price for the hassle factor. Each hour of "coverage" has a multiplier -- similar to an hourly rate.

Its the "minimum amount I'm willing to make that day" ($80 to $120 per hour).

Dix
02-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Well there is your first problem.

How can you give a quote without knowing all the pertinent details?

Once you send out a quote...you are bound to it, from an ethical stand point - and maybe even a legal one. You need to do more homework ahead of time so you dont end up looking unprofessional on the backside.

As for your initial question - yes, I certainly vary my price based on where the event is. Not dramatically - but if it is a known difficult room, and I have to pay someone extra to help me...then you can bet that cost gets passed along.

I was gonna post but then I read this, I had to double check the author cause I thought I had already posted. I will also add tho that my contract states:

"& due to the weight &/or bulkiness of our equipment, DIXIELAND DJ can not use stairs that consist of more than 4 steps. In the event of service elevator(s) or handicap ramps, it is possible to perform in elevated or below ground level area’s but must be approved before contract signing. Both parties agree that DJ service’s provided for this event will be on the ground floor."

In short, we will not set up above or below ground level without the aid of service elevators.

There is only one place around that has been trouble for me. The way I found to eliminate that problem venue??? I do NOT play there. If a client calls, I tell them I am already booked. As a side note... I am on that venue's preferred vendors list. After 8 years since my problem there, they still have people call me. It seems they would have caught on by now but... oh well..

Da Animal
02-28-2012, 05:50 PM
Geez, I feel like a "johnny come lately"... Everyone else has stolen my answers and not even left me a crumb for advice.

I always get the details before I will quote. If they insist on doing it thru email (these are the bargain shoppers usually), I fire off most of the list that Scotch had posted, and I have in my contract that stairs of any kind are extra and certain aspects of the show may be unavailable. (lugging the LED dance floor up even a single stair isn't gonna happen!)

Also agree a quote is different than a contract. You can amend a quote based on new information without too much trouble, but you might hear about it and need to be willing to negotiate some of the change.

Good luck man! We all live and learn every damn day of our lifes right?

Ntertainment
02-28-2012, 06:08 PM
It's only one event this summer i'm dreading so far. I'll make it work. Thanks guys for the info. Most of my quotes go out over email i'll have to revamp how i send them out.