PDA

View Full Version : how about a DMX controller designed especially for DJs !!

DJ Matt
05-28-2013, 08:20 AM
i had my first synchronized uplighting gig this weekend using some American DJ mega bars, (been using uplighting for a while but always had it set to auto)

this time I had a controller and was able to "play" the lights live to the music. we had a band playing and I could fade the lights according to the mood and intensity of the music. also when I was djing afterwards I did the same thing. it was cool:)

if I wanted the lights to go back to auto all I had to do was turn the controller off and flick the first light (beside my dj booth) to auto. the rest would follow.

but I realised something. it seems to me that DMX equipment is not really very intuitive in comparison to other DJ equipment. (maybe its about where DJ mixers were in the mid eighties)

so I made this quick design of what I REALLY would like to have in order to control the lights MUSICALLY as a DJ would, using the stuff we know... crossfaders.

what do you think? does it exist? can it be home- made? (manufacturers! if you are reading.. lets to it :D )

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/7412/dv016jpglarge807901top.jpg

robare99
05-28-2013, 08:22 AM
DMXIS + iPad + TouchOSC

DJzrule
05-28-2013, 08:50 AM
It's extremely intuitive if you have more than a basic controller. You were also controlling everything manually when you could've had programed scenes, chases, and macros. For what it's worth, I've worked on everything from a $15k lighting board to my first $250 Chauvet DMX controller. It's experience and being creative with what you've got.

Synaxis
05-28-2013, 09:34 AM
You can get an Obey 3 and swap out the plastic faders :shrug:

http://www.chauvetlighting.com/products/images/obey3-1-l.jpg

DJ Matt
05-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Well just ask yourselves , would any of these approaches replace the way we play music? Pre- programmed scenes?

In some cases yes , but in many cases the dj still prefer the conventional , natural, real time way to dj

And as I said above I work with live bands do who knows what they are going to do or when... I can predict things just seconds before they happen

(I have a controller 'like the obey 3) it's ok , dont get me wrong , but i almost have to hold it with both hands if i want to slam in a color with the beat, and those stiff (yet flimsy ) up faders you cannot get the tactile controll as you would with a x fader which you can tap on the beat , use crab techniques etc to respond to the music

( obviously I'm mainly talking about simple lighting setups here )

DJzrule
05-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Well just ask yourselves , would any of these approaches replace the way we play music? Pre- programmed scenes?

In some cases yes , but in many cases the dj still prefer the conventional , natural, real time way to dj

And as I said above I work with live bands do who knows what they are going to do or when... I can predict things just seconds before they happen

(I have a controller 'like the obey 3) it's ok , dont get me wrong , but i almost have to hold it with both hands if i want to slam in a color with the beat, and those stiff (yet flimsy ) up faders you cannot get the tactile controll as you would with a x fader which you can tap on the beat , use crab techniques etc to respond to the music

( obviously I'm mainly talking about simple lighting setups here )

You're trying to rip a guitar solo on a ukelele dude, those faders barely stand the torment of repeated smooth, slow movement, none the less bashing on them for quick changes. You need a controller with flash buttons programmed to colors, scenes, cues, or looks.

allensmusic
05-28-2013, 11:51 AM
they already offer this. it is called "masking tape and permanent marker."

DJ Matt
05-28-2013, 01:26 PM
a controller with flash buttons programmed to colors, scenes, cues, or looks.

which one would ya'll recommend?

looks like the obey 8 is the only 'obey' model which has them. any others?

I have always wanted to do a white flash by flashing all three colours ...

(full admission to being a noob on dmx of course )

fueledbymusic
05-28-2013, 01:35 PM
I like my Obey 40

DJzrule
05-28-2013, 01:43 PM

Personally? Chauvet ShowXpress (software) with at least an Xpress100 dongle, and some sort of MIDI controller to trigger cues. The Korg NANO series comes to mind for fader controls, or drum pads, and they're only $35-40ish each.

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/4056/nanoseriesblack53a89b4e.jpg

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/8818/chauvetxpress100usbpcdm.jpg

Synaxis
05-28-2013, 01:44 PM

I believe the Obey 8 has been discontinued.

Which controller do you have at the moment? A bunch of controllers allow you to program different scenes.

DJ Matt
05-28-2013, 02:42 PM
Personally? Chauvet ShowXpress (software) with at least an Xpress100 dongle, and some sort of MIDI controller to trigger cues. The Korg NANO series comes to mind for fader controls, or drum pads, and they're only $35-40ish each.

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/4056/nanoseriesblack53a89b4e.jpg

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/8818/chauvetxpress100usbpcdm.jpg

VERY ! interesting. using midi control. i have a mini keyboard already so i might be able to use my backup computer for that during gigs.

nice!

DJ Matt
05-28-2013, 02:44 PM
I believe the Obey 8 has been discontinued.

Which controller do you have at the moment? A bunch of controllers allow you to program different scenes.

the one i have just has 6 faders , not buttons at all. i think the brand is stairville.