PDA

View Full Version : Teaching DJing and EDM

blackfoxbb
02-28-2012, 06:15 AM
So. I was invited to give some classes of DJing and Electronic music at a music school.
As I'm a teacher, teaching won't be a problem, but I'm a bit worried about the theoretical content. I'm trying to cover the history since early 70's and the evolution of the genres since then.

It is supposed to take about 32h, both practice and theoretical.

any advises? thanks

Original
02-28-2012, 06:19 AM
Throw out that history bullshit. Nobody cares about Juan Atkins or any of those people or any of the things they did. I'd say go in depth about drum patterns within the various sub-genres of EDM.

Original
02-28-2012, 06:20 AM
Oh, and you should teach poses, like the super important jesus pose. Can't be a pro DJ without the jesus pose.

login
02-28-2012, 09:26 AM
http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

I think they way that guide is laided out is pretty good for understanding the history of EDM, you can dismiss the descriptions, the musical examples are mostly accurate for each genre.

DJ ATX
02-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Oh, and you should teach poses, like the super important jesus pose. Can't be a pro DJ without the jesus pose.

And the fist pumping during a transition as well as the pointing to a hot chick.

ON the serious note, I think history and the evolution of EDM is good. It ties into mixing. Especially when it comes to house music. Or I could just be biased on that one.

mrkleen
02-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Throw out that history bullshit. Nobody cares about Juan Atkins or any of those people or any of the things they did.

No one cares about the history of the art and craft they are about to learn about? And you wonder why the younger generation is full of morons. Exhibit A.

DJNR
02-28-2012, 10:54 AM
No one cares about the history of the art and craft they are about to learn about? And you wonder why the younger generation is full of morons. Exhibit A.

I think he was joking.

elcopan
02-28-2012, 11:01 AM
http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

I think they way that guide is laided out is pretty good for understanding the history of EDM, you can dismiss the descriptions, the musical examples are mostly accurate for each genre.

Nice link! I remember a lot of the early stuff.

Original
02-28-2012, 11:53 AM
That doesn't logically conclude.

mrkleen
02-28-2012, 12:14 PM
That doesn't logically conclude.

Not sure what logically conclude means, but you dont see a problem with not caring about history and what came before you?

thehadgi
02-28-2012, 12:50 PM
I say pick a good book on production and develop a syllabus from whatever sections you want to cover, and then figure out the content for each section.

Original
02-28-2012, 01:11 PM
Not sure what logically conclude means, but you dont see a problem with not caring about history and what came before you?
In the context of DJing, no. You're literally just speeding up/slowing down songs you like, or if you're getting paid, that other people like. Knowledge regarding the history and roots of various musicians/genres won't help. Additionally the course is limited in time. I strongly feel that dedicating the time that would have gone to history lessons towards something more directly helpful, like in-depth EDM sub-genre beat analysis would result in happier students.

If the point of the course is to teach the history of EDM, then nevermind

Just Adam
02-28-2012, 01:19 PM
So. I was invited to give some classes of DJing and Electronic music at a music school.
As I'm a teacher, teaching won't be a problem, but I'm a bit worried about the theoretical content. I'm trying to cover the history since early 70's and the evolution of the genres since then.

It is supposed to take about 32h, both practice and theoretical.

any advises? thanks

If you're going to teach some history, pick up "Last Night A DJ Saved My Life", and read the chapters on how disco and funk eventually transformed into house music, it's an interesting read, and it gives specifics on pioneers of this form.

Not only that, if you're a DJ, this book is one huge ego stroke lol.

mrkleen
02-28-2012, 01:40 PM
In the context of DJing, no. You're literally just speeding up/slowing down songs you like, or if you're getting paid, that other people like. Knowledge regarding the history and roots of various musicians/genres won't help. Additionally the course is limited in time. I strongly feel that dedicating the time that would have gone to history lessons towards something more directly helpful, like in-depth EDM sub-genre beat analysis would result in happier students.

If the point of the course is to teach the history of EDM, then nevermind

You are not going to learn to DJ in 32 hours anyway....so spending 1 or 2 of those hours talking about the history of the specific genres and how it all came to be isnt any more or less valid than digging into "sub genres".

Most people taking a DJing course like the one the OP described are just trying to get their feet wet - and learn the basics. A story about how Juan Atkins heard Kraftwerk and it made him want to write songs, or how Afrikaa Bambaataa threw block parties is more likely to inspire a student to want to dig deeper, than a discussion of the differences between grime and dub step.

login
02-28-2012, 05:03 PM
If I would give a course on EDM and djing I would make something like this:

Lesson 1: Live the party.- simply organize a party and dj for the students for a good 3 or 4 hours, spanning many genres.

Lesson 2: History of electronic music, from the social point of view: raves, clubs, radio, "scenes", etc.

Lesson 3: History of EDM, the music I : From funk to house and techno (1978-1988)

Lesson 4: History of EDM, the music II: Techno, Trance, DnB and other subgenres

Now that they know the music,...

lesson 5: digging: basicaly the assigment here would be for them to pick genres and dig music to mix

Lesson 6: All about the gear: cdj's, turntables, mixers, software, midi controllers

Lesson 7: Fundamentals of mixing: beatmatching

Lesson 8: Mixing: Eqing

Lesson 9: Mixing: FX

Lesson 10: Designing a dj set

lesson 11: Mixing on the fly

Something like that would be nice as a course on djing.