PDA

View Full Version : Deep House Heading Towards Deep Summer

DJ Difficult
05-23-2013, 07:58 AM
Here's my latest Deep House mix. And again, no planning. Just opened my cd wallet and fire it up with rec on.
Tracklist:
1. Claptone - No Eyes feat. Jaw (Orginal Mix)
2. Deep Kid - The Return (Moti Brothers Remix)
3. Whitesquare - The Boat
4. Jesus Pablo, Adam Brass - Jet Lag (Kirby Remix)
5. Karin Park, Shadow Child - Bending Alberts Law (Orginal Mix)
6. Jeff Fontaine, Deep Spelle - We Go A Deep Way (Orginal Mix)
7. Whitesquare - Somebody
8. Yousef - Beg (Hot Since 82 Future Mix)
9. Rasmus Faber & Alf Tumble - Wilder Side feat. Candi Staton (Tong & Rogers Wonderland Club Mix)
10. Shadow Child - So High (Hot Since 82 Remix)
11. Turntablerocker - Grow Up
https://soundcloud.com/dj-difficult/heading-towards-deep-summer

Hope you enjoy and i enjoy if you leave a feedback!
Gear used: 2 X Numark ndx-400 & A&H Zone 22. Recorded with Zoom H1.

ClrCreekRdr
05-23-2013, 05:21 PM
First of all, I really love the track list. To me its probably the most important part.

I listened to your mix all the way through. I REALLY liked it! Professional for sure. Great job on this. Transitions were smooth like butter and very musical.

The mix between 1 & 2 sounded out of tempo, though I think they might not have been. Maybe a different mix-in point would be better?

At 21:28 is there a tempo change? Very subtle if it was.

P.S. Please critique my mix: http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?26230-Deep-House-Harmonically-Mixed-Sunday-Afternoon-Deep-House-Mix-1

DJ Difficult
05-24-2013, 12:54 PM
Thanks for listening. Rep+
I did change the tempo from 122bpm to 125bpm in one point but don't remember where. Might be in around those times..

ben mills
05-24-2013, 01:05 PM
I think this is what I have playing right now - your latest mix....but it's hooked through my speakers through my phone.

Sounds really good so far - great tracks.

ben mills
05-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Yeah this is what was streaming.

Overall, I thought it was a good mix. The mix right around 31:30 was a quite abrupt mix with the EQ work when the bass hits from the new track. The other mixes sounded good though - the only thing I would suggest is that you use loops a bit more to keep the track cued up and let it lean forward in phases, until just the right time to drop. It would all come out a bit smoother this way, in terms of not having tracks overlapping too much during busy main riff parts.

What I'm saying is rather than just "cue, release, and right it out", cue, release, but advance incrementally in 32 beat loops. You can come in a lot earlier with your mixes and also extend them a lot longer on the backside. Along the way, you can run the phase up until the main drop, and keep it there until you're ready for it to hit, lined up perfectly with the outgoing track.

This will also keep you from those kind of awkward, "fade out the outgoing track when the incoming track hits a breakdown" - and instead during those breakdowns you can get funky with the fader and EQs, pumping and cutting, etc., then when the incoming track comes back out of the breakdown, can start to bring the outgoing out even more.

Small critique - and really just a style thing more than anything - but overall a well done mix.

DJ Difficult
05-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Thanks for good advices. Ill keep them in my mind.
The thing is that although my current players have looping capability, they won't let me adjust loops. So loops has to be made in strutter mode and it's pretty rocky road. BUT next week I'm gonna receive a package what contains traktor scratch pro 2 and a6 interface + all other accessories for DVS system. After that my looping problem is solved.
And for that transition you mentioned. It was a badly phrasematched. I bougt next song up too early :banghead: