PDA

View Full Version : New Cheap Controller for a NOT N00b DJ

danthedj
02-27-2012, 10:18 PM
I'm currently a student at a state university (Rutgers), and I'm looking to get into doing some house parties/frat parties up here. Yes, i know all about the obnoxious girls, spilt beer, sh*t sound systems, etc. Which is EXACTLY why I dont want to bring my full setup to college. I use CDJs and a simple mixer with Torq as my main setup. I'm looking to get a cheap controller to get me through some parties where scratching and putting together full fledged sets isnt imperative.

In any event, I'm looking to spend around $200 which leads me to look at a few controllers. The Numark Mixtrack Pro, Vestax Typhoon and Torq Xponent. The Hercules RMX also fits into my budget but I'm not a huge fan of VDJ. The Mixtrack and Typhoon both use Serato DJ Intro which I do like alot. My ultimate question is which should I go with, and why?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :tup:

DJNR
02-27-2012, 10:30 PM
In my opinion, I would go with the Typhoon. Vestax makes some pretty solid gear, and if I am not mistaken the Typhoon is just a fancy version of a VCI-100 which is a pretty solid piece of gear. If you want real durability, the RMX is a pretty solid controller also, and can be mapped to work with Traktor if you don't like VDJ.

hewzter
02-28-2012, 08:24 AM
If you can handle liniear fader style EQ's (I can't) the typhoon is a nice controller, the soundcard in it could have been a bit louder but its "ok" atleast.

dirtydutch
02-28-2012, 09:46 AM
hercules rmx

danthedj
02-28-2012, 10:40 AM
hercules rmx

reasons for the rmx? I like that it is made of metal but other than that it doesnt seem any better than the others.

The fader eq on the typhoon doesnt really bother me, i do like knobs better, but getting used to the faders wouldnt be a huge adjustment.

Thanks everyone for the input, keep the ideas coming!

DJNR
02-28-2012, 10:58 AM
reasons for the rmx? I like that it is made of metal but other than that it doesnt seem any better than the others.

The fader eq on the typhoon doesnt really bother me, i do like knobs better, but getting used to the faders wouldnt be a huge adjustment.

Thanks everyone for the input, keep the ideas coming!

I don't think the RMX has much more to offer than the other two. All of them are pretty similar, it really comes down to what software you decide to use in my opinion.

danthedj
02-28-2012, 11:19 AM
I know it comes down to mainly software. And I like Serato intro and already use Torq so I'm down to the mix track pro, typhoon or xponent. I know the xponent will stand up long term as many people have been using it for years. I'm really just on the fence with the mix track pro and typhoon and as to whether they'll stand up to some wear and tear and just other possible ideas I might be missing.

Thanks everyone.

Defiance
02-28-2012, 11:45 AM
My original mixtrack is from 09. Had to take it apart once and clean the gain faders, the master fader still doesn't work perfect. But it has been my most used controller since then, while its been retired for a while as my main controller, it is certainly a solid piece to work with in rough conditions.

DJNR
02-28-2012, 12:32 PM
I'm pretty confident the typhoon would stand the test of time. Vestax is pretty well known for their durability.

I totally forgot the xponent even existed. It's been awhile since I've seen one.

danthedj
02-28-2012, 01:29 PM
I havent seen many xponents around anymore. On a tangent, pssl sells them new for $300, and people are on ebay still trying to sell them for $300+ used. Hysterical :lol:

Anyway, I'm leaning away from the xponent (older and still expensive) and more towards the mixtrack pro or typhoon. I like the feel of the mixtrack but havent touched a typhoon. I like that the typhoon has auto-loops in serato whereas the mixtrack pro only has manual loops in serato (both have auto loops in vdj or traktor). On the other hand, the fader eq vs the rotary eq has me stumped. I dont think it would be a problem at all, but its still a possibility.

Keep all the comments coming!

DJNR
02-28-2012, 01:35 PM
I haven't used line EQs but they aren't uncommon. They were implemented on the AEM, and people loved that mixer; it's on the Xone 02 (or 22) also.

On a side note, I LOVE PSSL. They have such good service, and they have given me some pretty sweet deals.

danthedj
02-28-2012, 02:18 PM
Thats what im figuring. Many people LOVED the AEM mixers, and obviously the xone's arent known for nothing. So im sure its not impossible to adjust to the line eqs.

As for PSSL, yes, they have incredible service, and their deals are pretty great. Im looking at a refurbished typhoon from them for right around $200, full warranty and all. This is opposed to the $300 retail.