PDA

View Full Version : Brochure wording... debate...

DJ Donnie Lewis
05-21-2013, 09:04 AM
Ok some tag lines for my brochures. A friend and I are debating using "price" instead of ''Cheap"... I agree that it seems lower class but I dont want people to assume Im overpriced and automatically tune me out. Im trying to convey a message that the cheap route is not a good one to go...

We may not be the cheapest Entertainment company but our standards are set very high... Cheap should not be a consideration for your events Entertainment. Ensure your events success by booking with the best!

Sween
05-21-2013, 09:12 AM
I'd leave out the cheap vs expensive argument out of the brochures completely...

Reading that tells me you're expensive...

DJ Donnie Lewis
05-21-2013, 09:15 AM
hmmmm...

I want to convey to people that we are not cheap but not expensive. I want people to start saying "Hes not cheap but its worth every $$"...

DJ Donnie Lewis
05-21-2013, 09:22 AM
When choosing an Entertainment company you should choose one that has their standards set very high... "Cheap" should not be a consideration for your events entertainment. Ensure your events success by booking with the best!

Hows this?

DJStevieRay
05-21-2013, 09:39 AM
How about describing your service as the "Best Value".

DJ Donnie Lewis
05-21-2013, 09:43 AM
I wanted to but I felt that could confuse people? What's a good value to them? I don't know. Probably just over thinking it

allensmusic
05-21-2013, 10:25 AM
The word "Cheap" is only used on craigslist.

WillieB69
05-21-2013, 10:32 AM
The word "Cheap" is only used on craigslist.

And hookers.

allensmusic
05-21-2013, 10:34 AM
And hookers.

Cheap hookers :eek3dance:

Has anyone else noticed that after you get them home most of the cheap hookers on craigslist usually are actually just men dressed as women?

wilson
05-21-2013, 10:34 AM
I would focus more on getting them to contact you, then you can convey that message. I'd leave it out of the brochure all together. Typically if you can get them on the phone or set up a meeting, you can explain cost justification way better than trying to find the perfect words to fit in a sentence or short paragraph.

iammongo
05-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Since you put Debate in the title i'll offer this....

Having a rough idea what you charge I would say that someone with the mindset of "cheap as possible" is going to instantly walk away from you.

Instead of wasting your time trying to get a cheap-0 to consider you I would just focus on your strengths and make the people with a little more disposable income want to hire you because you are the best in your market.

WillieB69
05-21-2013, 10:54 AM
Since you put Debate in the title i'll offer this....

Having a rough idea what you charge I would say that someone with the mindset of "cheap as possible" is going to instantly walk away from you.

Instead of wasting your time trying to get a cheap-0 to consider you I would just focus on your strengths and make the people with a little more disposable income want to hire you because you are the best in your market.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to iammongo again. :(

PinnacleStu
05-21-2013, 12:53 PM
We all fight the race to the bottom of fees thanks to the weekend warriors (and Gigmasters!). However, why not rise above it somehow? I don't think it does you any good to be critical of the competition - even though your points are totally valid. Trust me, it IS frustrating knowing you offer a better product in your market, and see leads choose someone you know can't compare. But, don't sink down to their level! Set the standard - and it starts with your advertising.

DJStevieRay
05-21-2013, 01:35 PM
That is why I suggested showing clients, that with you it's not about price, it is about value.

PinnacleStu
05-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Agreed!

DJ Donnie Lewis
05-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Very good points guys, I quoted cheap to highlight it. I want to create a branding of sorts that shows Im not a "cheap" DJ but you are getting a great value for your money. I do plan on 2 more price increases this year that will likely put me in the highest bracket in my area, and may be one of the highest priced single ops in the area. I provide a service that is beyond comparison to most here (not to sound cocky), with the exception of some friends that I surround my self around and provide the same level of service. Its amazing how some of these companies get the $$ they do and the weddings are so, blah... Wires everywhere... not providing cultural music for the couples that ask for them, not listening to whats needed and just overall nonsense. There is a handful of companies in my area that have the same price point but can be so much higher because of the level they offer.

idk... rambling now...

Anyway I posted another Thread with the brochures as a pic...

Sween
05-21-2013, 06:07 PM
If you provide value for what you do... Just simply state that.

Dix
05-21-2013, 06:39 PM
When I started in radio & the owner/Gen Mgr was teaching me the ropes about writing advertisements, he told me, "there is a difference in cheap & low priced. Never, ever use the word cheap. It's always "Low Priced".

Now, keep in mind that was back in 1982, but.... I never forgot that & personally, I never use cheap unless I am referring to something that is ..... cheap.

Here is an example of the way I use the subject:

In my Craigslist ad:
We also offer:
* Lighting packages
* Dual setups for those ceremonies & receptions in separate rooms or locations
* Back up equipment just in case of a failure
* References up on request
* Music planner forms & we take requests
* Competitive rates
* Over seven decades of music

------------------------------------------------------

I also use things like "we offer Low rates" OR "low Prices"

allensmusic
05-21-2013, 07:12 PM
here is the problem with advertising. people will focus on certain words.
If you use the word "Cheap" in any context at all, people will remember your company name and the word "cheap".
They will get mental images of cheap speakers, cheap lights, cheap suit, and they will assume you have craigslist cheap prices.

It is never a good idea to use negative words in advertising.

MusicMix
05-22-2013, 12:54 AM
Very good points guys, I quoted cheap to highlight it. I want to create a branding of sorts that shows Im not a "cheap" DJ but you are getting a great value for your money. I do plan on 2 more price increases this year that will likely put me in the highest bracket in my area, and may be one of the highest priced single ops in the area. I provide a service that is beyond comparison to most here (not to sound cocky), with the exception of some friends that I surround my self around and provide the same level of service. Its amazing how some of these companies get the $$ they do and the weddings are so, blah... Wires everywhere... not providing cultural music for the couples that ask for them, not listening to whats needed and just overall nonsense. There is a handful of companies in my area that have the same price point but can be so much higher because of the level they offer.

idk... rambling now...

Anyway I posted another Thread with the brochures as a pic...

The brochure will get your name out there. Doing a good job is going to get you the referals. I personally would make sure that you emphasize what you do provide and as it was mentioned before, talking directly to prospected clients is when you can talk about price.