PDA

View Full Version : Any Scratch Videos to learn from????

Tombachar4
02-27-2012, 08:53 PM
I really want to learn how to scratch with my viynl turntables. Are there online videos or tips you guys have on beginning to scratch??

Boomcie
02-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Studio Scratches on Youtube. She explains things very well, and she also has good camera angles to let you see what she is doing with her hands. Note: She scratches hamster/reverse style

http://youtu.be/tOeWPgQdEw4

ccabungcal
02-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Dj angelo on youtube. The guy is a great teacher. too lazy to put up a vid like previous poster =/

Tombachar4
02-27-2012, 10:27 PM
the first video is a great practice, but does not seem to really teach anything. Plus the technique doesnt make sense since every time she lets go of the vinyl her crossfader heads over to deck B to make the scratch noise and when she recoils the vinyl her crossfader is back at deckA without making a sound.
Thanks for the video though!

ARe there any other videos that shed some light on technique?

Boomcie
02-28-2012, 10:14 AM
She's using hamster/reverse style. It reverses the crossfader. When it is to the left side it plays deck b, when to the right side it plays deck a. Some djs find this to be a more natural way of scratching.
http://reloaded.skratchamental.com/?p=153
I posted that video because it is one of the first scratches that you should master along with the baby scratch. Look at her other videos they get more complex, but you won't be able to do them properly until you master the beginner techniques.

Sigma
02-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Some more advanced vids: -

http://www.digitalvertigo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showforum=59

Not suitable for the OP mind you, but someone might find them useful.

DJ CirKutCision
02-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Love Yoshi's tutorials. He's very funky in his patterns, but very technical as well.

DJNR
02-28-2012, 07:21 PM
I watch DJ Angelo's tutorials on YouTube.

NICK NASTIE
03-08-2012, 12:28 PM
DJ Angelo has the best Videos to learn from on Youtube. Easy breakdowns and explained well. If you want more advanced scratches, you can always pay $90 for 3 months worth of Qbert Skratch University. I haven't paid but I have been tempted to. I figure, wouldn't be worth it until i get all the free Youtube Videos learned. Just my opinion tho.

Unit27
03-08-2012, 01:09 PM
On the regular vs. hamster style, go up to your decks, start practicing and trying to do some of the basic techniques that involve the crossfader, like the forwards in the Studio Scratches Video, stabs (like forwards, but you push the record instead of letting it go), transformers (constant clicking while moving the record) and marches (a babies + stabs combo). Try them both regular and hamster, and stick with whatever style feels more natural and you feel like you progress faster.

From there, checking tutorials will sometimes require you to translate the crossfader technique to your style.

ccabungcal
03-08-2012, 01:26 PM
I've heard hamster style is much easier when doing two clicks and crabs and I've got to say I've been tempted to switch since my crabs on regular are absolute crap. The only thing I don't like with hamster is that it will be very tough and confusing if you are beat juggling imho. Sorry for hijacking your thread OP but yeah, DJ angelo tutorials all the way!

Unit27
03-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Those 2 are the exact basic scratches I struggled (and still do) the most with, and I scratch hamster. The thing with flares when starting is that it requires you to switch your thought process and play the silences. I think crabs do behave and sound naturally different regular and hamster, because 3 taps regular gives you 3 sounds while hamster gives you 4, so to get 4 sounds regular your first click is done by the thumb. Still, I think the hardest part of it is cleaning it up and consistently getting every sound you intend to out of the motion.

Whatever style you pick, both crossfader patterns require a lot of practice, grinding through them sounding bad until something clicks and you get them sounding like they should. Regular vs Hamster doesn't change all that much.

Tombachar4
03-09-2012, 12:18 AM
I started following the DJ Angelo videos to learn the scratching techniques and I found him to be extremely helpful and easy to follow with. For beginning Dj's I would recommend his videos, but his teaching styles are easy for me to follow while others might think differently.

RaySwift
03-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Why dont you learn from the master himself DJ Q-Bert and buy his DIY DVDs but there are some videos floating around youtube with his DIY tutorials. Heres one of them. The only problem is he only teaches hamster style (Reverse Crossfader) so if you cut using regular instead of reverse, then your fucked or you gotta learn hamster. haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_svr9eVsryY

Fusic
03-13-2012, 03:50 AM
I've heard hamster style is much easier when doing two clicks and crabs and I've got to say I've been tempted to switch since my crabs on regular are absolute crap. The only thing I don't like with hamster is that it will be very tough and confusing if you are beat juggling imho. Sorry for hijacking your thread OP but yeah, DJ angelo tutorials all the way!

My beat juggling is only very basic but I've never had an issue because of the reversed crossfader

DrWhoDat
03-21-2012, 06:31 AM
Why dont you learn from the master himself DJ Q-Bert and buy his DIY DVDs but there are some videos floating around youtube with his DIY tutorials. Heres one of them. The only problem is he only teaches hamster style (Reverse Crossfader) so if you cut using regular instead of reverse, then your fucked or you gotta learn hamster. haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_svr9eVsryY

Actually on a few of those videos he shows you how to do it regular style. I'm not sure which ones but I know i've seen him scratch regular on some instructional videos.

DjDisArm
03-21-2012, 11:27 AM
just do what he tells you, but in reverse. :shrug: