PDA

View Full Version : live monitors

Brian Sang Han
02-27-2012, 07:03 PM
I've been looking around for some active monitors to use in live settings where monitors aren't provided. Any recommendations? I've been looking at used QSC hpr122i's so far, but don't know if I need something with that much power.

Incognito
02-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Live as in for a band?

Brian Sang Han
02-27-2012, 08:26 PM
er live as in club or bar setting for djing. sorry if term is off but basically not bedroom.

Incognito
02-27-2012, 08:39 PM
In that case yeah, something along the lines of a QSC HPR122i would work, if that's too much for your application then a decent 8" or 10" active top will also work.

ampnation
02-28-2012, 12:25 AM
Just to be clear, when you say monitors, you're talking about speakers aimed at the DJ so he can hear what the live mix is sounding like more clearly, right?

Brian Sang Han
02-28-2012, 04:54 AM
yep, exactly that

funkyfresh
02-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Have you consider something a bit smaller and more mobile, such as the Behringer EUROLIVE B205D:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00378GEAM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Cheap and efficient :T

audiopyle
02-28-2012, 10:51 AM
What's your budget? I keep ART310As in stock and sometimes get trade-ins.

Brian Sang Han
02-28-2012, 05:39 PM
my budget isn't too tight but i don't want to spend more than necessary. i don't like behringer products because while they do provide good value, ive had a few of their products early on in my musical journey and they tend to crap out with no support whatsoever. i really did like the QSC i had but finding a good deal on them now seems a bit hard.

i've never heard of the ART310A. They do seem within budget. how do they compare to the competition?

Al Poulin
02-28-2012, 06:55 PM
The RCF 310As are excellent sounding ultra compact and lightweight 10'' powered speakers. Don't expect any deep bass out of them (as with any 10'') but they are loud, clear and crisp. I own 4 of them and simply love 'em. Your price in the US is much better than what I paid, so they are an outstanding value in the US for such a good sounding powered speaker. Let me know if you have any questions at all about them.

Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

ampnation
02-28-2012, 08:46 PM
The QSC's are gonna be heavy compared to the RCF's I'm guessing. check out the specs. The QSC's get rave reviews for sound quality - they're the predecessor to the KW line positioned above QSC's K series and probably go a little lower than the RCF, but for monitors, you don't need low extension, so unless the QSC are priced nicely and you don't mind the weight, I'd go with the RCF seriously.

Brian Sang Han
02-28-2012, 11:49 PM
hmm alright, ill keep an eye out for deals of the rcf. after a quick google search it looks like theyre discontinued as well, so i'm not sure where to get em. also how much are used ones worth?

ampnation
02-29-2012, 12:30 AM
hmm alright, ill keep an eye out for deals of the rcf. after a quick google search it looks like theyre discontinued as well, so i'm not sure where to get em. also how much are used ones worth?

Again, make phone calls. Check with the vendors in the vendor section here. It might take some work for new. Used? I've never seen any listed used. LOL People tend to keep them.

Brian Sang Han
02-29-2012, 02:49 AM
haha alright thanks. looks liek you can grab a pair of 310as for $800 with stands. i also found a pair of 312as for $800 without stands. how do the 2 compare?

Incognito
02-29-2012, 05:21 AM
haha alright thanks. looks liek you can grab a pair of 310as for $800 with stands. i also found a pair of 312as for $800 without stands. how do the 2 compare?

The difference is one has a fuller sound then the other & goes louder, I would go for the 312a since stands are cheap.

Al Poulin
02-29-2012, 07:42 AM
The 310As and 312A get equally as loud, the difference is low frequency response. The 312A does procuce more low frequencies BUT is bigger and heavier. It is a better choice than the 310A if you plan on occasionally using the tops stand alone. If you're always using a sub (or subs), the 310As are the way to go (so compact and easy to move around at 27lbs) and have a sweeter top end.

Al

audiopyle
02-29-2012, 02:37 PM

I have new ART310As in stock in Napa. If you are in the SF bay area you can get them overnight.

Thanks,
Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
mike@audiopyle.com

shawno
02-29-2012, 07:30 PM
I have new ART310As in stock in Napa. If you are in the SF bay area you can get them overnight.

Thanks,
Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
mike@audiopyle.com

I just bought a set of 310As from Mike last Wed, they were delivered to Downtown SJ the next day- lighting quick. Mike is a good guy and answered questions before I pulled the trigger.
The 310As replaced an aging set of Yammie s115IV. Not only are both 310As lighter than 1 s115IV, but the mids/highs are way smoother at higher volumes.
Anybody wanna buy a used set of s115IVs ? Cheap? :teef:

Molbster
02-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Tapco Thump TA15A by Mackie. IMO best bang for buck

ampnation
02-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Tapco Thump TA15A by Mackie. IMO best bang for buck

Unless you need volume. djteknovibe used to talk about how he had hi fi speakers that were louder.

Defiance
02-29-2012, 11:18 PM
Check out Seismic Audio PWS-10, I've been eye balling them for a while now. Super cheap. 1 year warranty and 30 day buy-back. Might work out and save you a lot of money.

A company I rent from, I've been pushing to see if they would buy some and let the renters have at em before I buy to see how they stand up.

windspeed36
02-29-2012, 11:24 PM
Unless you need volume. djteknovibe used to talk about how he had hi fi speakers that were louder.

I think he once said he'd rather have cum in his eye than use them...

Incognito
02-29-2012, 11:46 PM

He did have a way with words..... I tried to link him to let him know the DJF is back up but I see he has deleted his Youtube account.

ampnation
02-29-2012, 11:52 PM
Check out Seismic Audio PWS-10, I've been eye balling them for a while now. Super cheap. 1 year warranty and 30 day buy-back. Might work out and save you a lot of money.

A company I rent from, I've been pushing to see if they would buy some and let the renters have at em before I buy to see how they stand up.

They don't have a good rep.

ampnation
02-29-2012, 11:54 PM

I actually think he was quoting another regular who will remain nameless, in his sig line.
He was having some serious financial difficulties. I wish him the best.

windspeed36
03-01-2012, 02:29 AM
He did have a way with words..... I tried to link him to let him know the DJF is back up but I see he has deleted his Youtube account.

Wasn't he one of the admin's on the other DJforums that replaced djforums.com while it was on holiday? Wonder if anyones contacted him through there

Incognito
03-01-2012, 05:49 AM
Wasn't he one of the admin's on the other DJforums that replaced djforums.com while it was on holiday? Wonder if anyones contacted him through there

First of my hearing this really.

Al Poulin
03-01-2012, 07:33 AM

Actually that was me. :lol: It had to do with some Gemini powered speakers being discussed. I believe what I said was :

Gemin? I'd rather have cum in my eye. :P

Someone did put it in in their sig afterwards...

Al

ampnation
03-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Actually that was me. :lol: It had to do with some Gemini powered speakers being discussed. I believe what I said was :

Gemin? I'd rather have cum in my eye. :P

Someone did put it in in their sig afterwards...

Al

I wasn't gonna out ya Al. LOL It was djteknovibe who put that in his sig, out of context.
As to admin at another site. He did contact me to let me know about another site started up. I tried to register but it failed so I went about my biz. Don't know if he was an admin (didn't sound like it), moderator, or just was trying to promote it.

Molbster
03-01-2012, 01:47 PM

Well, if you try to use them as the main speakers to fill up a space, yes they suck. But as monitors in a dj booth setting (which is situation the OP laid out), they're pretty decent.

I don't bring my Honda Civic to the track and then complain about how everyone else is faster than me...

ampnation
03-01-2012, 02:00 PM
I'm guessing that based on the numbers I've seen for loud clubs they might not be loud enough even as monitors. I know you're right next to them so they don't have to be as loud. If you EQ out the lowest end (which you should be getting without them from the club's subs) that SPL can get a little boost and yes, I could see them being sufficient. So in short... good point.

windspeed36
03-01-2012, 02:16 PM
First of my hearing this really.
Pretty sure he's on here: http://www.djsyndicate.net/forum.php

Brian Sang Han
03-01-2012, 10:39 PM
thanks guys, ill probably be going with a pair of 312a's since they will be able to double as tops when needed.

now to start saving up for a sub...