PDA

View Full Version : Limit Light coming on my QSC k10

pumpitdj
02-27-2012, 06:44 PM
I have 2 pairs of these speakers , and l noticed that the limit light keeps coming on when I'm at about 50 % volume . My buddy that has a pair also , hes getting the same thing happening . Anyone else have the same speakers having this light come on ? Just wondering if it's safe to be at this level

VjQue
02-27-2012, 06:57 PM
the limiter light...it's just telling you the amp is running out of gas. I also know it's slow to go out as well. I've done it too... Wisdom says to keep that light off if you can.

I don't know what you're setup is like, but I would imagine the reason it would be lighting up without being real loud is because it's trying to amplify some low freq stuff. It's a 10" driver, so it's not going to be so hot at low end rumble anyway....I'd high pass them at least 60 hz if they're the only speakers you have. If you've got subs, I'd go higher until it's noticed & then back up a little

pumpitdj
02-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Basically I have the speakers going directly into my Denon dn mc6000 controller . I also have a Yorkville Ls801 Sub , which I have hooked into my booth outout. Everything is set at noon except the gain is up a bit just past noon , when the master volume hits 50% is when the limit light comes on

Al Poulin
02-27-2012, 07:39 PM
I have 2 pairs of these speakers , and l noticed that the limit light keeps coming on when I'm at about 50 % volume . My buddy that has a pair also , hes getting the same thing happening . Anyone else have the same speakers having this light come on ? Just wondering if it's safe to be at this level

***This response was written when I thought you were using the K10s stand alone (without a sub)

A 10'' woofer can only move so much air, so if you've got the K10 in DEEP mode or are boosting the low frequencies at all it will automatically limit more quickly.(to protect the woofer from over excursion and damage). QSC loved boasting about the 1000 watts of power built into the K series boxes, but the truth is the components in the box will never see anywhere near this amount of power due to very precise processing/limiting. That said, they are very good quality powered speakers BUT as with any other 10'' cab - they will require subs to handle the deeper frequencies at anything but low level (very small bokings). *** just noticed you are using a sub * so make sure your tops are set FLAT and with the other switch set at EXT SUB.

I have some RCF Art 310As that are very comparable to the K10s and I would never think of using them stand alone EXCEPT for smaller parties and/or event where deep bass is not wanted (seniors' dances/50th anniversaries) which I actually do quite often. So, in my case my 10'' powered 310As do get used quite often stand alone but only for small events where people do not want deep bass. Here is an example of the bigger events a single pair of my 310As handle easily :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYgAWyMEAlc

Also, the level at which your gain is set on the back of your K10 (be it 3/4 or 1/2) does not mean all that much. Even set at half, it can still reach full output if you feed it enough signal from your mixer.

Al

pumpitdj
02-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Maybe what I'll do then , is put it on normal / Vocal setting , and let me sub do the bass

Al Poulin
02-27-2012, 08:49 PM
Maybe what I'll do then , is put it on normal / Vocal setting , and let me sub do the bass

Absolutely. That's what subs are designed to do. Start with your EQ completely flat and then (using familiar music material) set the gains on your tops and sub so that they sound balanced. When you use your sub, your tops should always be set FLAT with the EXT SUB setting engaged. This applies a 100hz high pass filter to your tops meanin they will now mostly reproduce mids and highs. Set your LS801Ps low pass filter at 100hz and you're good to go. You will notice the QSCs get much louder than before and should be clearer too.

Al

pumpitdj
02-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Awesome will try this out

pumpitdj
02-27-2012, 09:18 PM
So really the only time I need to switch to vocal on the back of the speaker is if they are going to be singing or doing speeches? For music keep it on normal and flat , and try to get the sub and the tops to balance

Al Poulin
02-27-2012, 10:18 PM
So really the only time I need to switch to vocal on the back of the speaker is if they are going to be singing or doing speeches? For music keep it on normal and flat , and try to get the sub and the tops to balance

Yeah, vocal is mostly for speech reinforcement. I would keep it on flat most of the time...

Al

Cris1605
02-27-2012, 10:35 PM
For music keep it on normal and flat , and try to get the sub and the tops to balance

When using the subwoofer, like Al said, move the switch to "EXT SUB". When the K10's are used for just mids and highs, you should be able to get pretty loud sound levels without hitting the limiters. Use normal or DEEP when using the speakers by themselves for smaller events. On another note, you can use the Vocal Boost in conjunction with any of the ofther settings to suit your personal taste. Having it on though may also cause the limiter to kick on earlier on certain content. But try to find a compromise with the type of sound and volume that pleases you. Good luck and have fun with it!

pumpitdj
02-28-2012, 12:47 PM
So I just hooked up 4 of my QSC k10 speakers and one Yorkville ls801p Powered Sub , and everything is working perfect and no limit light coming on . Switched it to ext sub , and flat on the back of all the qsc speakers . I also had everything hooked into one outlet . These speakers really draw low amps.

Al Poulin
02-28-2012, 01:20 PM
So I just hooked up 4 of my QSC k10 speakers and one Yorkville ls801p Powered Sub , and everything is working perfect and no limit light coming on . Switched it to ext sub , and flat on the back of all the qsc speakers . I also had everything hooked into one outlet . These speakers really draw low amps.

Happy to see it made a noticeable difference. :)

Al