PDA

View Full Version : Armin's comments about Intense

deathsupport
05-20-2013, 11:38 AM
The album incorporates pop, rock, classic and much more. Has the king of trance abandoned trance music? Do fans need to worry?
Armin:“If I decide to eat a salad on one day, does that make me a vegetarian? 85% of the album is still trance in my opinion. Trance is where my heart has been for so many years. In fact, for the fans some tracks are really ‘classical’ Armin sounding tracks (‘Last Stop Before Heaven’, ‘Intense’, ‘Pulsar’ ‘Who’s Afraid of 138?’) but I also like to explore new production techniques. I think my fans should start worrying if there’s no progression or experimentation.”

Do you somehow feel that by releasing an album this diverse, you’re getting them to be more open-minded as well?
Armin:“Like I said above, it’s all about finding your own light, your own road. We all do this every day. In the past I could be jealous of what other people had achieved but I don’t have that so much anymore. Maybe I’ve accepted myself more now and just follow that road. That’s the only thing that feels natural and right. I guess I’m more open to my ‘inner voice’, if something like that even exists. I’ve accepted that I can’t please everybody, even though it took me years to swallow.”

Taken from: www.armadamusic.com/news/2013/05/armin-van-buuren-intense-is-about-finding-my-own-road/

So he's always been accused of abandoning trance and producing A State of Pop every week (honestly, those haters must listen only to the first 10 minutes because there is always some good trance in there, usually in the second half). Tiesto has abandoned trance, turns out Armin is just experimenting. He has some incredible songs on his new album as well. Is this enough to calm people down, or haters gonna hate?

M!TCH
05-20-2013, 11:41 AM
He has some incredible songs on his new album as well.

Is this a joke?

deathsupport
05-20-2013, 12:41 PM
Is this a joke?
Congratulations you've fulfilled your stereotype very well.

M!TCH
05-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Congratulations you've fulfilled your stereotype very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S63YRJpD660#!

I'm not hating. I'm questioning your statement. ^^^ is absolute shit. How people think that is "incredible" blows my mind.

deathsupport
05-20-2013, 01:04 PM
Nooo, not so much that one even though hearing it live is pretty fun. I said there are "some" incredible tracks, not all of them. Chalk up those other ones to experimentation and progression, as he described. Intense, Humming the Lights are great tracks imo. I'm not such a fan of Who's Afraid of 138 - I think there are better uplifting tracks out there.

mr_ragz
05-20-2013, 01:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S63YRJpD660#!

I'm not hating. I'm questioning your statement. ^^^ is absolute shit. How people think that is "incredible" blows my mind.

Well you're definitely hating, just for the record. I do agree that its more of the same ole' over saturated garbage that fills the market nowadays :(

Sedna
05-20-2013, 01:44 PM
I'm sorry, but this guy is calling Intense and Pulsar trance?

Producing hybridized trance/pop music and saying you're "experimenting" is just an excuse to make music that sells well and not seem like a sellout. You want to hear progression and experimentation from a trance artist?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbRDC4F488Y

M!TCH
05-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Well you're definitely hating, just for the record. I do agree that its more of the same ole' over saturated garbage that fills the market nowadays :(

At no point did I hate on him "abandoning trance" which my comment was directed towards in the OP. I have no issues with him trying something new. I think the song is absolute shit regardless of what genre it is posted under and in no way would I call that an incredible track.

deathsupport
05-20-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm sorry, but this guy is calling Intense and Pulsar trance?
What category does Intense fit under in your opinion?

Zafire
05-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Last time I listened to ASOT it was 20mins of trance and the rest was electro house. Jus'sayin.

Sedna
05-20-2013, 02:34 PM
What category does Intense fit under in your opinion?

Pop house and/or trouse. Whatever you want to call "that" genre of music.

There are approximately zero actual trance elements in the song. No flowing progression, no acid, no rolling beat. The "melody" is sharp and stabbing, instead of progressive and moving. It's basically just sped up big room house.

JackStalk
05-20-2013, 02:50 PM
I really like Waiting For The Night. It's not a "pure" trance track per se, but I like more than just one genre of music and personally think it's a good song. It's kind of a shame the track didnt get more publicity. The Emma Hewitt track is pretty good also in my opinion.

thehadgi
05-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Pop house and/or trouse. Whatever you want to call "that" genre of music.

There are approximately zero actual trance elements in the song. No flowing progression, no acid, no rolling beat. The "melody" is sharp and stabbing, instead of progressive and moving. It's basically just sped up big room house.

apparently we're at a point now in the industry where when a big artist manages to string a melody and chord progression together without resorting to squeaky babies screaming and goats squawking in pain, everyone bows down like the guy just invented music theory.

not sure how much that applies to armin, but there are other big names that seem to have this effect when they decide not to make trouse/electrohau5 for once

from a theoretical standpoint, armin's track up there ^^ doesn't technically break any major rules that most crap producers break; like melodic/chord clashes that shouldn't be there, out of tune elements, a singer that couldn't sing happy birthday in tune. but it also doesn't achieve anything more than being a paint by numbers track. sprinkled/doused with much nacho cheese

thehadgi
05-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Although as far as armin goes, I usually tend to not give a crap what anyone says about my tracks, so I couldn't care less if someone doesn't like one of mine.

But I suppose if I reach his fame and have thousands of fans tweeting me hateful things... I guess that would wear you down after a while :freak:

Era 7
05-20-2013, 03:37 PM
what is this...i don't even...

I think my fans should start worrying if there’s no progression or experimentation

keep it. i've heard that from so many artists.

EDIT: just listened to the tracks on intense and most of them sound like they were pulled straight of some el cheapo cheesy summer/beach compilation with some electro house thrown in between. the rest is just really unimpressive. even the track with the most potential (who is afraid of 138) turns out to be just "meh".

Zafire
05-27-2013, 07:09 AM
Guys the unthinkable just happened.

My mother just sent me a text telling me how much she loves "Some track by a guy called Armin Van Buuren"

Turns out it was the track "This is what it feels like"

doesnotwanttoliveonthisplanetanymore.jpg

:facepalm:

alexreedDJ
05-27-2013, 07:49 AM
They've started playing it on capital fm... which instantly makes it shit music. Weather you liked it before or not.

I actually quite liked it when i first heard it :uhoh: but i don't rate Trevor Guthrie's voice at all. I haven't actually heard the whole album but from the tracks i have heard i would say all that "experimenting" stuff is 95% BS.

M!TCH
05-27-2013, 09:36 AM

My mother just sent me a text telling me how much she loves "Some track by a guy called Armin Van Buuren"

My mom is a Top 40s person. Only thing saving her is that she listens to damn near anything.

login
05-27-2013, 09:56 AM
it sucks, hard

ChrisHynds
05-27-2013, 09:59 AM
I refuse to listen to this album, and I'm doing my best to try and stay away from the negativity and bashing that's been happening, I've done my fair share of bitching and moaning but it's not gonna change a single thing, we all know exactly why and what artists like AVB etc are doing, it is what it is, I think we should start focusing more on what's happening with the real Trance producers and forget about these money hungry sell outs.

I get just as frustrated as any other die hard out there but no matter how much shit we talk it ain't gonna change a thing. Start promoting and supporting the real Trance artists, they are the ones that need it most, Pulser's retirement speech is a prime example of this, he said it himself, the "real Trance sound" has no market anymore, America etc want to hear that pop shit, which is why we need to show the support to the few artist left that have stuck true to the game, and forget about the imitators.

End Rant

Era 7
05-27-2013, 01:51 PM

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/
you're welcome

DJNR
05-27-2013, 03:35 PM

This isn't anything new. People have been idolizing Armin Van Buuren as the messiah for a really long time.

disparate
05-28-2013, 06:53 AM
Armin's barely produced or played a good track since about 2004, which was around when ASOT got really really boring and the Armada label became a veritable empire flooding the scene with mediocre, pleasant but soulless melodic trance. I don't see what the big deal is.

JackStalk
05-28-2013, 09:11 AM
I refuse to listen to this album, and I'm doing my best to try and stay away from the negativity and bashing that's been happening, I've done my fair share of bitching and moaning but it's not gonna change a single thing, we all know exactly why and what artists like AVB etc are doing, it is what it is, I think we should start focusing more on what's happening with the real Trance producers and forget about these money hungry sell outs.

I get just as frustrated as any other die hard out there but no matter how much shit we talk it ain't gonna change a thing. Start promoting and supporting the real Trance artists, they are the ones that need it most, Pulser's retirement speech is a prime example of this, he said it himself, the "real Trance sound" has no market anymore, America etc want to hear that pop shit, which is why we need to show the support to the few artist left that have stuck true to the game, and forget about the imitators.

End Rant

You sir, must be afraid of 138 :P

ChrisHynds
05-29-2013, 09:43 AM
You sir, must be afraid of 138 :P

Afraid of 138 , bitch please, I wake up @ 140 :P

JackStalk
05-29-2013, 10:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXH_uHFYvbY

deathsupport
05-29-2013, 02:49 PM
Armin's barely produced or played a good track since about 2004, which was around when ASOT got really really boring and the Armada label became a veritable empire flooding the scene with mediocre, pleasant but soulless melodic trance. I don't see what the big deal is.
Markus Schulz's Coldharbour label is under Armada, and from what I gather a lot of people on this forum like the music they release.
"Soulless but pleasant" is a pretty good way of putting it. I'm a little sad that the recent releases on Armind sound like they belong on W&W's Mainstage label. However, you should (re)listen to Armin's latest Gaia tracks. I thought they weren't that good until I heard them live... and wow.
My friend, who doesn't listen to trance, said yesterday "rap and hip-hop isn't what it used to be". Sounds familiar... what are you gonna do. Hate all you want but music changes and evolves.

Era 7
05-29-2013, 03:09 PM
Afraid of 138 , bitch please, I wake up @ 140 :P

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ChrisHynds again.

:argh:

ChrisHynds
05-29-2013, 04:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXH_uHFYvbY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2iUezRoqjw - this guy can do no wrong atm

M!TCH
05-29-2013, 05:37 PM
^^^ you're scaring me with this. He's been destroying his tracks but I hope he can fix what Armin couldn't build. Bout to have a listen.

Sedna
05-30-2013, 01:17 AM
who's afraid of 124

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6AHRm_UbRA

Era 7
05-30-2013, 03:42 AM
who's afraid of 124

^^drumcode is the shit

"Slam - Vespula" and "Mark Reeve - Drumatic" :music:

Sedna
05-30-2013, 05:06 PM
^^drumcode is the shit

"Slam - Vespula" and "Mark Reeve - Drumatic" :music:

Really been listening to a shit ton of techno recently. I actually just got back from DEMF (or Movement, whatever) and it was epic. Tommy Four Seven gave me a boner.

Deep and dark trance will always be my #1, but the drumcode style of techno has pretty much just clinched the #2 spot.

Era 7
05-30-2013, 05:15 PM
Really been listening to a shit ton of techno recently. I actually just got back from DEMF (or Movement, whatever) and it was epic. Tommy Four Seven gave me a boner.

Deep and dark trance will always be my #1, but the drumcode style of techno has pretty much just clinched the #2 spot.

i've been listening to a lot of adam beyer recently. dig his style so much. and +1 on the techno.

disparate
05-31-2013, 08:26 AM
Markus Schulz's Coldharbour label is under Armada, and from what I gather a lot of people on this forum like the music they release.
"Soulless but pleasant" is a pretty good way of putting it. I'm a little sad that the recent releases on Armind sound like they belong on W&W's Mainstage label. However, you should (re)listen to Armin's latest Gaia tracks. I thought they weren't that good until I heard them live... and wow.
My friend, who doesn't listen to trance, said yesterday "rap and hip-hop isn't what it used to be". Sounds familiar... what are you gonna do. Hate all you want but music changes and evolves.

I'll check them out at some point.

Btw there's lots of good rap and hip hop around now, obviously not in the charts but it's out there.

And for the record Drumcode-style techno isn't my thing at all, I find it as dull and soulless as Armada trance. Just me though ;)

SlvrDragon50
06-05-2013, 02:40 PM
I absolutely LOVE Armin's new album. I come from a classical background so I really liked the orchestration in Intense.

Sedna
06-05-2013, 05:08 PM
I absolutely LOVE Armin's new album. I come from a classical background so I really liked the orchestration in Intense.

I come from a classical background and I think it's garbage :blank:

JackStalk
06-05-2013, 05:10 PM
MY favorite song in 124.....

deep deep deep inside! deep deep down inside!

Baller95
06-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Love this song!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS1a-SQd79w

thehadgi
06-05-2013, 08:31 PM
I come from a classical background and I think it's garbage :blank:

:stupid:

Wanna hear classical/romantic choons, check out my stuff ;) love me my cello and French horns

Anyway, dunno if it's cheese or not but ill still always be a fan of tuvan. Dunno if that makes me a bad person or not, but I've never listened touch of his stuff anyhow I guess :P

ChrisHynds
06-06-2013, 06:27 AM
If you come from a Classical background, you should be listening to Andy Blueman not Armin, Blueman is the king euphoric and melodic breakdowns,

thehadgi
06-06-2013, 08:55 AM
mmmmm blueman does have some good stuff.... i like dis one

OPJFnbaue9M

ChrisHynds
06-06-2013, 09:13 AM
^^^ Are you sure you want to play this game?? :P

Blueman > Van Buuren, the difference was Armins marketing skills,

thehadgi
06-06-2013, 09:14 AM
^^^ Are you sure you want to play this game?? :P

Blueman > Van Buuren, the difference was Armins marketing skills,

Haha I wasn't disagreeing :P

ChrisHynds
06-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Haha I wasn't disagreeing :P

I know, damn interwebz,

SlvrDragon50
06-06-2013, 09:31 AM
If you come from a Classical background, you should be listening to Andy Blueman not Armin, Blueman is the king euphoric and melodic breakdowns,

Thanks for the suggestion. I find trance more melodic than other genres which is why I like it. A lot of dubstep artists are pretty melodic too (IMO) but they kill it with the wobs :|

ChrisHynds
06-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I find trance more melodic than other genres which is why I like it. A lot of dubstep artists are pretty melodic too (IMO) but they kill it with the wobs :|

No worries man, you'll like Blueman if you like Melodic, enjoy the track hunt :)