PDA

View Full Version : Cutting practice

DJArmani
05-18-2013, 11:35 AM
I was wondering how I can practice cutting records on breaks. For example: cutting into hihop records etc, for me the problem is either cutting offbeat or just sounding really sloppy is there any tutorials on this or tips?

BOWNSIR
05-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Not sure what you mean by cutting. Like dropping in a track instantaneously? Or doing a simple looping type of juggle?

In both scenarios I find marking records with a sticker (both real and control vinyl) to help so you know exactly where the tip of the sound is. Another thing that can help is to cue (or split cue, if your mixer has it) whatever you going to play next and baby scratch into (or cut) into the next song/beat so it doesn't sound off beat.

In short, timing is key, baby scratch to mach the rhythm of the current song playing, and release on the 1 beat. You'll get better with practice.

ben mills
05-18-2013, 04:10 PM
I cut practice out a long time ago.

thehadgi
05-18-2013, 04:13 PM
I cut practice out a long time ago.

I believe it's now called "freestyling"

DJArmani
05-18-2013, 06:23 PM
Not sure what you mean by cutting. Like dropping in a track instantaneously? Or doing a simple looping type of juggle?

In both scenarios I find marking records with a sticker (both real and control vinyl) to help so you know exactly where the tip of the sound is. Another thing that can help is to cue (or split cue, if your mixer has it) whatever you going to play next and baby scratch into (or cut) into the next song/beat so it doesn't sound off beat.

In short, timing is key, baby scratch to mach the rhythm of the current song playing, and release on the 1 beat. You'll get better with practice.

A simple looping type of juggle & what do you mean on the 1 beat?

Sigma
05-18-2013, 06:35 PM
I think I know what you're asking about, but I'm not 100% sure, haha.

I agree with Bownsir. Using stickers is a must. If you're using a DVS then you can set a cue point at the start of the section you want to loop, hold the record still so the sticker is in the right spot (usually pointing to 12 o'clock or the needle), then hit the cue button. From then on, you can just do it manually, because your stickers will be lined up in the right spots. Obviously, with real vinyl if you sticker mark certain spots then the stickers will always be in the right place. I definitely wouldn't rely on cue points in a DVS other than to initially set the sticker positions though (and you don't even have to do that really), because you want to get used to spinning records back manually - knowing how many revolutions you need to spin back - that kind of thing.

Then it's a case of getting the timing down and releasing the records accurately so that you keep a nice steady rhythm going. Once you get good at that, you can start throwing in some simple scratches to spice it up a bit. That's all kind of a pre-cursor to learning beat juggling, but looping on its own isn't juggling as juggling requires you to flip the records in a way that you make a new pattern - it requires more complexity than what you're talking about.

DJArmani
05-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Thanks sigma! I actually do practice beat juggling and it's easier than cutting for some reason. I thought using the cues to cut was 'cheating' on Serato, guess not!

Sigma
05-19-2013, 11:21 PM
"Cutting" to me is another name for scratching.

And when I say use the cue points, I just mean to set the initial sticker mark if you need to, not to do the actual looping. So let's say I have a cue point set up at the very beginning of the section I'm looping, I would hold the record still with the sticker pointing towards the needle (I prefer to use that instead of 12 o'clock) and hit the cue button to align the beginning of the section of the record with where the sticker is, but then after that I wouldn't touch the cue buttons again.

Windows 95
05-19-2013, 11:32 PM
I was wondering how I can practice cutting records on breaks.Fast forward to 3:30;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeLsWHqkg4Y

TheRabbitMonk
06-02-2013, 08:20 AM
Just throw your new track in at the end of the bar. exactly the same as a juggle. The more you do it the better they will get.
Obviously if you make sure it's beatmatched as well and gains set well. it will sound almost seamless.