PDA

View Full Version : Play Apple Lossless files in Serato without having to install Quicktime?

Sigma
02-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Quicktime is utter balls. I installed the Windows version a few weeks ago after having avoided it for years and it's still as bloated and awful as ever.

Is there any other way to get Apple Lossless files recognised in Serato? Does Quicktime Alternative or Quicktime Lite work? Cheers.

Andrew B
02-27-2012, 06:47 PM
Doesn't SSL natively support ALAC?

VjQue
02-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Quicktime is utter balls. I installed the Windows version a few weeks ago after having avoided it for years and it's still as bloated and awful as ever.

Is there any other way to get Apple Lossless files recognised in Serato? Does Quicktime Alternative or Quicktime Lite work? Cheers.In setup under library do you have Show all file type checked.

Doesn't SSL natively support ALAC? yep

Konix
02-27-2012, 09:40 PM
Yes, you need QuickTime installed to play any AAC/ALAC/M4A/MP4 files in Scratch Live. Sorry.

Sigma
02-28-2012, 05:07 AM
I thought that might be the case. Thanks mate.

Windows versions of Apple software is so fucking awful, it can only be by design! :lol:

Andrew B
02-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Yes, you need QuickTime installed to play any AAC/ALAC/M4A/MP4 files in Scratch Live. Sorry.

Whoa, did not know that.

TooHypE
02-28-2012, 04:07 PM

Is there any other way to get Apple Lossless files recognised in Serato? Does Quicktime Alternative or Quicktime Lite work? Cheers.

You could try this??

http://www.freefileviewer.com

THE FREE FILE VIEWER THAT JUST WORKS

Download and install FreeFileViewer and you will be able to view documents like DOC, DOCX, PDF, TXT, XLS, XLSX, images like JPG, PNG, GIF, PSD, videos like FLV, MP4, MOV, MPG, audio files like FLAC, MP3, OGG, WMA, and various other formats like BIN, CFG, DAT, DIZ and and many many other file formats.

Phil Noize
02-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Neat ... does it work as a codec for Traktor?

Sigma
02-28-2012, 07:15 PM
You could try this??

http://www.freefileviewer.com

THE FREE FILE VIEWER THAT JUST WORKS

Download and install FreeFileViewer and you will be able to view documents like DOC, DOCX, PDF, TXT, XLS, XLSX, images like JPG, PNG, GIF, PSD, videos like FLV, MP4, MOV, MPG, audio files like FLAC, MP3, OGG, WMA, and various other formats like BIN, CFG, DAT, DIZ and and many many other file formats.
I'm pretty sure that won't work mate.

When you install Quicktime on a Windows machine it installs multiple components (which is typical of Apple software and part of the reason I hate it, cos you have no control over what's installed at all): -

1. Quicktime itself (including the Quicktime Player).
2. Apple Software Update.
3. Apple Application Support.

It's the "Apple Application Support" thing that makes it work with Serato, because if you uninstall just that component, Serato tells you that you have to install Quicktime even though the actual codec is still installed.

Here's what I hate about it though. I don't know if it's the same on a Mac: -

1. You have no control over what's installed. I don't want Quicktime Player, Apple Software Updater and all that bollocks.
2. It adds a bunch of registry entries that cause certain processes to autostart when you boot your PC and they're just not required, but again, you have no control over this.
3. Quicktime Player took over file associations without asking.
4. It adds a bunch of plug-ins into browsers. When I clicked on a direct link to an MP3, instead of being prompted to download it, Quicktime Player loaded in the browser and started streaming it.

It is just badly written shite. If you want to install it solely for the purposes of playing Apple Lossless files in Serato, then do this: -

1. Run the installer.
2. Before you fire up your web browser, go into the Quicktime installation folder and delete the Plug-ins folder.
3. Uninstall the Apple Software Updater.
4. Use HijackThis (or a similar tool) to remove the registry entries that cause Quicktime-related processes to auto-start when your PC boots.

That has the minimum impact on your machine, but still allows you to play Apple Lossless files in Serato.

Phil Noize
02-28-2012, 07:40 PM
... and Traktor?

TooHypE
02-29-2012, 12:10 PM
Here's another one you may give a shot... K-Lite Codec Pack (64-bit) (http://download.cnet.com/K-Lite-Codec-Pack-64-bit/3000-13632_4-75157090.html)

Publisher's Description
From Codec Guide:

K-Lite Codec Pack (64-bit) is a collection of DirectShow filters, VFW/ACM codecs, and tools. Codecs and DirectShow filters are needed for encoding and decoding audio and video formats. The K-Lite Codec Pack is designed as a user-friendly solution for playing all your audio and movie files.

It includes automatically configuration of components to work together in perfect harmony, options to activate thumbnail generation in Windows Explorer, and tweak the options to your own specific needs and preferences.

What's new in this version: Version 5.9 includes updated ffdshow to version 1.1.4324, LAV Filters to version 0.46 build 2012-02-15, and Codec Tweak Tool to version 5.1.5.

Read more: K-Lite Codec Pack (64-bit) - Download.com http://download.cnet.com/K-Lite-Codec-Pack-64-bit/3000-13632_4-75157090.html#ixzz1nnOhoDnr

@Phil Noize ( I dunno bout Traktor I don't have that DVS/sw )

Ok ***Update read the comments and seems a bit iffy so please use caution & under your own risk.***

mostapha
02-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Here's what I hate about it though. I don't know if it's the same on a Mac:

It isn't the same on the mac only because QT is installed as the default media player for anything that isn't in the iTunes library. I kind of agree with you about it being a PITA, but it's something I've made my peace with because everything is correctable…and it's easier to do than it was to do similar things on Linux.

If you really want better control of your system, Linux is the answer…unfortunately, by default it's not a real-time kernel, so it'd have the same potential issues that Windows's DPC system can cause and relies very heavily on the quality of drivers…which are mostly written by hobbyists. That's not to say they're bad, but there are fewer checks on them than there are for OS X or Windows…which is why so little pro audio software is released for Linux……you have to be a damn good power user to make things work at all, and it's kind of not worth anyone's time to bother releasing pro-level apps when so few people could take advantage of them.

BTW, you want to talk about installing a lot of extra crap that you don't need and don't really have control over……have you ever heard of Native Instruments?

As for specifics…

1. You have no control over what's installed. I don't want Quicktime Player, Apple Software Updater and all that bollocks.Delete the parts you don't want as long as they're not necessary for it to work. Software Updaters are things that you should know how to disable if you're doing music with a computer anyway.

2. It adds a bunch of registry entries that cause certain processes to autostart when you boot your PC and they're just not required, but again, you have no control over this.That's editable after the fact. Windows registry hacking is something that I think anyone who uses Windows has to know. Not knowing how to do that is 90% of the reason most people think OS X is more stable, more reliable, or faster. There are similar hacks I think you have to be able to do in OS X…the difference is that the OS X hacks are easier, better documented, and–mostly–less important.

3. Quicktime Player took over file associations without asking.That's a Windows issue. It does that any time you install software that opens specific files, though it seems that it used to be better about it the last time I used Windows (NT and 2000 for a long time then XP for a few months before I jumped ship). Most people don't notice it too much because it doesn't interfere with you that often. The biggest one is installing something like VLC that opens basically any video/audio file…it takes over a lot of the associations, but people mostly just want to use it instead of WMP, so they don't complain that the computer does work for them.

The last time I used Windows, it asked you if you wanted to change file associations when you installed a new program that could open file types that already had a default set. If that's not the case anymore, I think it's a flaw in Windows. OS X does similar things, but re-setting the default applications still isn't that big of a deal. In Windows, I think it might be a registry hack…but take a look in Control Panel, because there used to be an easier way to do it.

4. It adds a bunch of plug-ins into browsers. When I clicked on a direct link to an MP3, instead of being prompted to download it, Quicktime Player loaded in the browser and started streaming it.You can change that behavior in your browser's settings, but the reason was because the browser didn't have a plugin that would play those files. They all look for viewer plugins before they download files, and they have for a long time. They only default to downloading files if you don't have a viewer for that file type that it can use.

It is just badly written shite. If you want to install it solely for the purposes of playing Apple Lossless files in Serato, then do this: -

1. Run the installer.
2. Before you fire up your web browser, go into the Quicktime installation folder and delete the Plug-ins folder.
3. Uninstall the Apple Software Updater.
4. Use HijackThis (or a similar tool) to remove the registry entries that cause Quicktime-related processes to auto-start when your PC boots.

That has the minimum impact on your machine, but still allows you to play Apple Lossless files in Serato.

That seems like it would work. But QT is not badly written shite. It's over-encompassing, and there are things I don't like about it (I prefer VLC since I'm not aware of a good mplayer port for OS X) but it's less bloated and runs quicker than WMP or Silverlight. But those could be the result of MS and Apple optimizing the code for their platforms and not putting as much effort in the other versions.

Silverlight–for example–is the only thing that taxes my system more than Flash. And that is saying something, because Flash taxes OS X more than running Logic, Reason, and multiple instance of Maschine together.

That's one thing that's worse on OS X. QT installs some crap you don't want and makes reversible changes to your system. Silverlight–which is still required for Netflix for some stupid reason–actually brings the system to a crawl while it's running because it's badly written carp. So does Flash. Believe me, media players piss me off more than just about any other part of dealing with computers (well…not as much as Java) but the Windows users still have it easy.

Here's another one you may give a shot...

It's not an issue of whether you have a codec installed that can decode the files, it's a matter of whether you have one that SSL will use…and I think that just means quick time.

Sigma
03-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Oh dear, it's the one-man Apple defence force! How very predictable.

Apple software is fucking WANK on Windows. They should stick to writing software for their own OS.

Phil Noize
03-01-2012, 09:03 AM
3. Quicktime Player took over file associations without asking.

That's a Windows issue. It does that any time you install software that opens specific files, though it seems that it used to be better about it the last time I used Windows (NT and 2000 for a long time then XP for a few months before I jumped ship). Most people don't notice it too much because it doesn't interfere with you that often. The biggest one is installing something like VLC that opens basically any video/audio file…it takes over a lot of the associations, but people mostly just want to use it instead of WMP, so they don't complain that the computer does work for them.

I don't believe this is a Windows issue. VLC Player gives you options of which file associations you want it to take over when you load it. Quicktime does not ... and it should! However, you only need to reset the file association for one file, and Windows will change all similar files back to that association.

4. It adds a bunch of plug-ins into browsers. When I clicked on a direct link to an MP3, instead of being prompted to download it, Quicktime Player loaded in the browser and started streaming it.

When I loaded it, I opted out of everthing that it would let me opt out of, and browser plugins was one of them.

IMO Sigma's right though, Quicktime is a bag of shite on a Windows PC. I never open the application itself. It is only installed as a codec for Traktor.

Sigma
03-01-2012, 09:52 AM
It's definitely not a Windows issue. On install, software on Windows can do one of these three things: -

1. It can associate itself with no file types at all.
2. It can associate itself with 1 or more file types without asking.
3. It can give the user the option of associating it with various file types.

Which of those it does is down to the developer and always has been.

VLC does it right. The installer has categories for audio files, video files and "other". You can place a check mark in one of those boxes to associate VLC with all audio files, for example, or you can open the tree and select exactly which audio file extensions you want to associate with it: -

http://i.imgur.com/fPOIG.jpg