PDA

View Full Version : What do you *cough* *weeze* *sniffle* do when you get sick?

Galager
05-16-2013, 03:55 AM
I am writing this with one leg popped up on my desk because I have a leg infection and need to keep off it and keep it elevated. I have a gig Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Fortunately I have taught my daughters how to use my gear and they all have good sense of music to help cover for me if I am not well by then.

What do you do to prepare for just such an emergency?

M!TCH
05-16-2013, 08:25 AM
Currently sick but not gigging this weekend. Sleep, tea, water, food, lots of Nyquil :D

DJ Donnie Lewis
05-16-2013, 08:29 AM
A friend created a DJ Association in our area that only has companies with the same philosophy as most. We then created a FB Group that is called Emergency 911. Has all the same members and we use it for anything... Sick and need a fill in... forgot a cable... It makes it so much easier for us

WillieB69
05-16-2013, 10:41 AM
If it's an absolutely must be there situation, double up the meds and hope for the best.

WillieB69
05-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Currently sick but not gigging this weekend. Sleep, tea, water, food, lots of Nyquil :D

Nyquil: The nighttime, sniffling, sneezing, what the hell am I doing passed out on the kitchen floor medicine! :D

DJNR
05-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Sleep and drink orange juice.

allensmusic
05-16-2013, 01:28 PM
several years ago i was riding a minibike on a wednesday afternoon. I wrecked, and cracked three ribs. the following Saturday I had a wedding on the 3rd floor. I hired a helper and arranged to set up early Saturday morning. I got set up, and came home to take a nap, as planned. as soon as I fell asleep, the police knocked at my door to tell me my father was unexpectedly found dead in his home in rural iowa. I was the person named to handle his affairs. I spent the afternoon purchasing airline tickets, car rental, etc. I then went to the wedding, did an awesome job, tore down the gear, parked the trailer at home and hopped on an airplane.

In the 30+ years of off and on DJ'ing, i have yet to miss a gig, sub out a gig, or cancel a gig.

Sween
05-16-2013, 03:48 PM
A friend created a DJ Association in our area that only has companies with the same philosophy as most. We then created a FB Group that is called Emergency 911. Has all the same members and we use it for anything... Sick and need a fill in... forgot a cable... It makes it so much easier for us

Great idea!

I just created a Philly one!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DJ Donnie Lewis again.

DJStevieRay
05-16-2013, 04:51 PM
What do you do to prepare for just such an emergency?

I post in Sween's new FB group ;)

Actually in 23 years I have yet to miss a show for disease/injury. I have done a few while sick/injured. But in extreme cases, I have the numbers of 5 Well known multi-ops, that I trust. I would call them, alont with 3 single ops who I am friends with, and get someone there. If it was humanly possible I would hire them for my full contract, and show up and do what I can, that way the B&G knows I didn't just bail on them.

Galager
05-16-2013, 05:55 PM
I was actually in the hospital with an infection and begged and begged and begged until the doctor gave me permission to leave for 6 hours to do a wedding then had to check back in. When I got back my infection became much worse and probably caused my time in the hospital to double. I have been in a hospital a few times and would never have been able to leave with or without the doctor's permission.

Word of advice: Nyquil will not help your client if you are in the hospital. We never PLAN an being in the hospital during the time we are supposed to be doing a gig so I STRONGLY recommend you make at least some kind of fail-safe arrangement with someone that can step in and help out if you are hospitalized or puking your guts out at home.

allensmusic
05-16-2013, 06:12 PM
I was actually in the hospital with an infection and begged and begged and begged until the doctor gave me permission to leave for 6 hours to do a wedding then had to check back in. When I got back my infection became much worse and probably caused my time in the hospital to double. I have been in a hospital a few times and would never have been able to leave with or without the doctor's permission.

Word of advice: Nyquil will not help your client if you are in the hospital. We never PLAN an being in the hospital during the time we are supposed to be doing a gig so I STRONGLY recommend you make at least some kind of fail-safe arrangement with someone that can step in and help out if you are hospitalized or puking your guts out at home.

I have only been hospitalized once. I had a spontaneous pneumothorax (a hole in a lung) that caused both of my lungs to collapse from the pressure in my chest cavity. I was released on a friday after 5 days hospitalization and under stern orders to get two weeks of bedrest. as I was pulling in my driveway, a neighbor reminded me I had agreed to DJ his daughters high school graduation party, and that they had just decided to have the party this same night. I set up, and DJ'd for over 8 hours.
This was 14 years ago, and the girl still assists me at some of my gigs.
I am sure I would have recovered faster if I would have simply refused the gig.

WillieB69
05-16-2013, 06:12 PM
We never PLAN an being in the hospital during the time we are supposed to be doing a gig so I STRONGLY recommend you make at least some kind of fail-safe arrangement with someone that can step in and help out if you are hospitalized or puking your guts out at home.

Interestingly enough, I was just contacted today by another DJ company down in Kansas City interested in expanding his force and having more DJ's to cover bookings or to cover if someone calls off. I'm thinking about it. Definitely some pros and cons to it but the pros appear to outweigh the cons at this point. We are trying to set up a face to face to discuss it further but schedules are tight right now.

DJ Donnie Lewis
05-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Great idea!

I just created a Philly one!

We love it... Not just for fill ins if need be but for that piece of equipment we may have left at home. Very helpful, enjoy!