PDA

View Full Version : 2 macs, 2 abletons, traktor s4 sync help

Josex
02-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Trying to figure this one out, if anyone can help map the sync i would be greatfull. My friend and I each have a macbook pro. I'm running ableton suite and traktor s4. he's got ableton live, a usb midi controller and a usb soundcard. I need to sync it all up for a duo. also if i need to get a usb hub. what do I need to get?

Thanks, I know this has probably been covered before but kind find what I need online anywhere. Thanks again.

djpenguin
02-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Jesus tap-dancing christ, are you really asking how to sync your setup and your buddy's setup together so you can play as a duo? The main thing that DJs do is make two sound sources go the same speed, and you can't handle that? It's pretty simple. Someone picks a tempo, and starts playing. The other guy matches to him, and starts playing. You use these crazy things on the side of your head called ears to figure out if the sources are synced. If it doesn't work right, you practice until it does.

Josex
02-27-2012, 04:57 PM
yeah, thanks for nothing assclown. It's a little more complex than that. there are numerous tempo changes and loop samples/tracks/layers and effects that need to accelerate and decelerate together to make the juice flow IYKWIM. If i were just trying to beat match I would have kept it on wax. I've been doing this since I was 14, G. Don't try and school me on the basics. If all you think DJs do is beat match I feel bad for the crowd you play for homie.

Thanks for the input though. Douche.

djpenguin
02-27-2012, 05:43 PM
You're right, that was unfair of me. I made a completely unfounded assumption. I apologize.

What you're going to want to do is get USB-MIDI interfaces for both computers, set one up as the MIDI master, and have it send MTC to the other (slave) computer. If you end up using a USB hub, you'll want to get a powered hub to make sure everything works properly.

mostapha
02-27-2012, 06:57 PM
Btw, Ableton can't really do what you want. It takes forever for it to catch up to even the slightest tempo changes. Traktor follows just fine, though. So, I'd suggest combining you Live sets onto one computer and running Traktor on the other.

If you need to do ableton post on the traktor signals, get a nice audio interface for the ableton computer that can do really low latency.

Josex
02-27-2012, 07:42 PM
thank you both so much, I'll start getting my pieces together tonight and see how it goes. Sorry bout the lashing DJ Penguin... Even though you can't fly, you're the best swimmer ever.

Peace till the update.

Josex
02-29-2012, 07:32 PM
yeah so, I was making it way more complicated than it needed to be. For anyone wondering, this is how it's done, I'm assuming this will work for most software.

connect the macs with an ethernet cable. Create a network session in the Audio MIDI setup (MIDI window). join the session on the slave mac. Open up your DJ software. In ableton go to the MIDI control panel and turn on MIDI in or out for session 1 (depending if it's the master or slave. in this case it's the master so it would be out). open up the slave software on the other mac and do the same only choosing in. voila. way easier than dealing with midi cables and interfaces and way less latency issues than with wireless networks.
Ableton does take forever to keep up with tempo changes so Traktor is slaved in my case. Every once in a while It'll lag during a change but nothing a quick wheel nudge can't fix. Thanks for the advice fellow music lovers.

Time to bang out the beats.

~JŲ$EX~