PDA

View Full Version : Midi Fighter 3D

OONS
02-27-2012, 04:18 PM
http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/02/27/introducing-the-midi-fighter-3d/

http://www.djtechtools.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Midi_Fighter_3D_cover.jpg

Today we’re very proud to usher in the newest DJTT creation: The Midi Fighter 3D controller. Equipped with 16 RGB arcade buttons and full three dimensional tracking of the controller’s movement in space, this latest addition to the Midi Fighter line is our most ambitious and expressive creation to date.

THE MIDI FIGHTER 3D

Price: $249
Ship Date: April (Sign Up to Reserve Yours Here)
Ships With: Button and MF Configuration Software, Right angle Blue USB cable.
Unique Button Messages: 70
Unique CC Messages: 68

Key Features:

Fully customizable high performance RGB arcade buttons
4 banks of controls
6 side buttons
Optional hand strap for full instrument control
Full 3D motion tracking of five degrees of movement (Patent Pending)
Highly grippy rubberized feet and sleeve
Gyroscope, Accelerometer and Compass for absolute orientation tracking.

Is this the controller you were going to announce at BPM and then NAMM?
* Yes – it took us longer than expected to get absolutely perfect :)

What about the Midi Fighter Classic and Pro?
* All existing Midi Fighters will continue to be supported and sold. The Midi Fighter Classic is our fully personalized boutique version that is made to order ($179). The Midi Fighter Pro ($299) offers a different workflow for specific DJs require robust, analogue-style controls. If any customers purchased a Midi Fighter in the last 30 days and wants to upgrade to a 3D, you can return it for a full credit towards a 3D.
Can I purchase the 3D now?
* No, they are not on sale yet. We are however taking reservations for the first batch which will ship in late March, early April. Click here to sign up on the reservation list.

Will this controller only be available through DJTechTools.com?
* This is the first controller that we will also be offering through a few exclusive retail locations around the globe. DJTT is looking for a few great music stores that really love our products and want to help support controllerism. If you know of a store that you would like to see the 3D carried in, please let us know! Just email: chris (at) djtechtools.com
What are the side buttons for?
* These are six shift buttons that can be used for preset selection or just about anything you want. We will be releasing a hand strap that allows you to hold the 3D in your hand and activate the side buttons while holding it – guitar style.

Can I set the colors of the buttons on the fly?
* Yes- the firmware for the 3D is amazing! It allows you to set the colors of the buttons with various patterns, blinking, and effects all from software via MIDI-out commands.

How accurate is the 3D Tracking?
* The range of each movement is always absolute and reliable so you can always find a value through muscle memory. The values and quality of the data coming out is unprecedented.

Can we customize the look of the 3D
* The first batch will be matte black, with the ability to control the color of the arcade button rings via software. In the future we may produce special editions in various color configurations but for a full custom build- the Midi Fighter Classic is the way to go.

BIG THANKS

The Midi Fighter 3D is the culmination of over a year of very hard work from everyone at DJ TechTools. Big props are in order to:

Michael: For your tireless effort in bringing this to light and dealing with my perfectionism. This a triumph of engineering!
Robin: For creating the best MIDI controller firmware ever!
Peter and David: For helping make the 3D super-sexy!
Mark: For helping teach us how to manufacture a great controller
Chris: For helping pull this project through (and continued mapping skills!)
Daniel: For creating a great MF utility!

Thoughts?

sobi
02-27-2012, 05:12 PM
The kit looks good... which is great, as the user is going to look like a twat using it. I'm all for controllerism (even though it doesn't appeal to me) as it's like a newer form of turntablism in my eyes. At the end of the day though, it's starting to feel like I'm looking at an overblown guitar hero game with a controller like this.

DJNR
02-28-2012, 12:07 AM
http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/02/27/introducing-the-midi-fighter-3d/

http://www.djtechtools.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Midi_Fighter_3D_cover.jpg

Thoughts?

Damn it, I was just about to post this! :argh:

But anyways, I am not much of a DJTT product fan (especially with the release of the Ean Golden edition VCI) but I think this thing is damn cool. It reminds me of a monome except it's loads cheaper, and frankly more practical for DJs. I would never show up to a show with it alone, but I could see it complimenting my setup nicely. I wanted to implement this with some sort of turntablism performance, which I think would be pretty cool. I also think the price is unbelievably fair.

Original
02-28-2012, 05:39 AM
It reminds me of a monome
That's ridiculous.

hewzter
02-28-2012, 08:16 AM
I could picture myself smoking a few nice ones and playing around with it in my studio, but im not sure it would do well on a DJ set for me. I tend to use minimal amount of effects on my sets, usually just some filtering for transitions and maybe some echo so this wouldent fit in, but for just having fun? hell yeah!

DJNR
02-28-2012, 11:03 AM
That's ridiculous.

Not really, especially because I used my Monome for Traktor for similar functions back when I had one. I didn't really use it as a step sequencer as I never really got into Ableton or live performance much. Sure their designed purposes are different, but ultimately the Monome was whatever you wanted it to be (and was built way better).

Rick_N
02-28-2012, 12:00 PM
I'm on the fence about it. It seems cool and all, but will I ever use it.

Hell No!

But, whatever floats your boat. If someone gets super creative and lots of use out of it, then more power to them!

DJNR
02-28-2012, 12:30 PM
I really do think that this allows for a greater mode for creativity. The whole gyroscope aspect appeals to me, and being able to control effects and cue points within Traktor would be really nice.

Jason Cerna
02-28-2012, 01:22 PM
i'll stick to my MF classic

Will MaXimal
02-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Seems like a cool thing to have but I am not sure how i feel about strapping something to my hand and swinging it around. It has to be plugged in so what if you are swinging it around and it comes un-plugged or if you accidently hit someone in the face with it :teef:

OONS
02-28-2012, 03:27 PM
If it gets unplugged while performing, the music still plays off the laptop. All you have to do is reconnect it and you're back in business.

DJNR
02-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Seems like a cool thing to have but I am not sure how i feel about strapping something to my hand and swinging it around. It has to be plugged in so what if you are swinging it around and it comes un-plugged or if you accidently hit someone in the face with it :teef:

Use it as an excuse to hit people in the face at clubs :teef:

CheekyDelinquent
02-28-2012, 03:51 PM
pimp slappin' hoes with the Midi Fighter 3D since 2012.

but on a serious note, I dunno. Like the extra banks and colourful rings and the whole shebang but that tilting twisting feature. I'll pass on looking like an utter twat.

djnotapplicable
02-29-2012, 04:45 PM
dumb.

TheBoggler
03-01-2012, 04:58 PM
I'm actually ordering a midifighter classic tomorrow - as the standard functionality is good for what I need right now. However, as soon as this baby comes out, and I've got the cash... hell yeah! Midifighter X 4 [four banks], plus 6 side buttons = an assload of ways to use this thing.
As far as the accelerometers and the 'dance' that people will begin to do with these, initially, I thought "That's....interesting...but dumb." Now that I've thought about it a bit more, to be able to stop mixing behind my s4, and to grab this box and go and get real close to the crowd during some high energy song.... That would make for a set nobody would soon forget.
When there's a DJ mixing after another DJ playing similar music, so what? Who cares? There's usually nothing too different in the crowd's eyes [unless they know their stuff]. However, if one of the DJs comes out and begins throwing this box around in the air and controlling music with it, It's an unparalleled way of expression and control.

"Is... that guy.... controlling the music with that box?" "Kinda looks like it.." "woah........ I'm not quite sure why or how.... but that's pretty sweet, I'll look for him next week!"

Cryder
03-02-2012, 05:07 PM
I'm very tempted to get one just to see what can be done with it. This seems like something that is aimed at electronic music artists performing their own material live versus your average disc jock, so of course you'll look silly waving it around when you're supposed to be on the decks LOL...

Defiance
03-02-2012, 05:37 PM
I have the classic and its a neat device, although I am not fond of traktor so I am working on mapping to other software.

However I really think there should a better chassis for it instead of the square thing they got going on with it. If they had a handle or something so you could hold it one handed and use the other hand to push buttons I think it would work better especially if you want to do something on the decks and not put the MF down.

Andrew B
03-02-2012, 05:47 PM
I have the classic and its a neat device, although I am not fond of traktor so I am working on mapping to other software.

However I really think there should a better chassis for it instead of the square thing they got going on with it. If they had a handle or something so you could hold it one handed and use the other hand to push buttons I think it would work better especially if you want to do something on the decks and not put the MF down.

It has a hand strap.

Subprime
03-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Looked at this when the post went up on DJTT a few days ago.

Think midi fighters are sort of dumb anyway, lead far too much into murdering tunes with effects and cue-jumping, but I guess having a billion buttons could be useful in the right hands. So the colours seemed like a good idea.

The accelerometers not so much. "Expression and control", don't make me laugh. Musical expression is not waving your arms around like a dickhead, and let's face it this isn't going to get used by producers nearly as often as by assholes using it to control the exact amount of flanger they are drowning out the track with. Far better would be a controller with a few spring loaded modulation wheels (the sort you find for pitch bend on keyboards perhaps).

I dunno, maybe it's just because I'm more of a heads down type, but the sort of place I play in you can barely see the DJs face, let alone them waving around a box with flashing lights on it.

DJNR
03-03-2012, 04:49 PM
The trailer for the 3D was kinda vague, and all it really hinted to was the fact that you could look like a total douche flinging this thing around without giving any sort of real functionality description. This was posted on DJTT, but I watched it on G4 and it gives a little more insight as to what the controller can be used to do. I think the first part it the usual "0mgzzz Ean Golden b3$t DJ everzzz" junk, but the end shows ultimately what the controller can do.

Video can be found here: MIDI FIGHTER 3D VIDEO. (http://www.g4tv.com/videos/57531/rad-jobs-with-ean-golden/?quality=hd)