PDA

View Full Version : DJing versus Producing

KLH
02-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Many people don't understand the difference between producing and DJing. Simply said, a DJ is an entertainer who plays pre-recorded music for crowds. Also simply said, a Producer is someone who makes or remakes (aka remixes) music in a studio. In any case, when on DJF, look for DJs to post mixes and such and look for Producers to post their own created tracks and/or remixes of other tracks.

Obviously, there are DJs who are Producers and Producers who are DJs. Blurring the line further, there is a movement called Live Remixing (http://www.djenferno.com/lrp/index.html) that does just that. DJ Enferno is the poster-child for this type of performance.

DJs typically use decks to make music and work with entire tracks. If software is used, the software usually emulate decks for digital audio playback using MP3s - like DJ apps and DVS software. At the end, a DJ performs a mix that is comprised of a sequence of songs.

Producers work with elements of tracks and add/remove those elements to remix the track into something that didn't exist before. In this way, they work as computer-aided composers who sometimes just "spice up" the beat or create whole new music passages. They use Digital Audio Workstation software, Digital Audio Editors, and many (sooo many) plugins to make their magic happen. At the end, they have a newly made track that can be used by a DJ in a DJ Mix.

Exciting times.

-KLH

Hamza21
02-27-2012, 05:31 PM
spam!! How much did enferno pay you to post this?

BuddyUK
02-27-2012, 07:27 PM
Many people don't understand the difference between producing and DJing

:lol:

Divercity
02-27-2012, 07:33 PM
All my friends say and think im a DJ. I'm a producer that can play music live.

Its retarded :blank:

TheFrenchWay
02-28-2012, 10:17 AM
I think this mentally come from the hip-hop world were many DJs produced beats before.

mostapha
02-29-2012, 04:37 PM
And from the fact that it's a lot easier to make it big by releasing a couple awesome tracks than by being an awesome DJ. Well…easier isn't the right word. Maybe it's more appropriate to say that it's possible to make it big by producing a couple awesome tracks while it kind of isn't if you're just DJing.

mrkleen
03-02-2012, 11:06 AM
And from the fact that it's a lot easier to make it big by releasing a couple awesome tracks than by being an awesome DJ. Well…easier isn't the right word. Maybe it's more appropriate to say that it's possible to make it big by producing a couple awesome tracks while it kind of isn't if you're just DJing.

Yup. What a shame, as most producers are SHIT DJs.....so the average person at events rarely gets to hear a really good DJ any more.

moyo wilde
03-02-2012, 11:59 AM
i think it has gotten really weird cause:

to make money as a dj it is best to be a producer

and

to make money as a producer it is best to dj

DjDisArm
03-05-2012, 01:54 AM
:shrug:

PONTUS.2
03-07-2012, 07:56 PM
i dont like live remixing :mad:

iuno its weird. now let me just say right now that this is just sort of coming to me without too much thought ill think about it some more but....

it isnt really appealing to me when producers basically take a track, but then they separate the track elements like bass, synth, drums, loops, etc. and "rebuild it live"

im like :mad: like really? rebuild it? you mean just trigger the loops and add a shitload of effects?e i dont think solo electronic production acts will ever be interesting to me.

like if it was me :devil:.... :zany: ...... i would have my tracks made and use serato to just mix them in the traditional manner.

i honestly dont know what it is though, i mean a band, essentially does what electronic producers do in that, they rebuild a track live with their individual parts/instruments.

i guess theres just more showmanship in playing instruments then sequencing audio clips.

:devil: like i said maw fuckaz imma rethink all this shit. just some random thoughts that came to me :devil:

PONTUS.2
03-07-2012, 08:01 PM
i was just thinking right now, when producers use track stems and essentially rebuild tracks live on some improv shit then = nice.

but if its a planned set that is just sequencing shit then = weak

Divercity
03-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Dj's need to produce to earn money and producers need to DJ to earn money. :lol:

mostapha
03-07-2012, 09:57 PM
Pontus, your point is well received for the most part…and there are a lot of people that do it wrong…but there are also a lot of high school dropout bands playing free bird over and over again without even the right number of guitarists let alone people who rival the van Zandt brothers.

Daft Punk and Underworld would probably be able to get more money from me for a ticket than just about any other act out there (Eric Clapton and Buddy Guy would be up there too). There's definitely something there that isn't just triggering samples…even if it's all just showmanship.

idkanon123
08-12-2012, 04:22 PM
I find this makes alot of sense because in order to play track you need to learn how to dj vice versa.I need to learn how to dj because I am just a producer and have know idea how to perform it that is why of course I looked on here.

DJrexx
08-15-2012, 09:33 AM
I actually am quitting DJing because personally I feel like I'm "lying" to myself and fans/friends by playing other peoples music... I'd rather see a local band play originals than a cover band... so why would someone come to see me play the same stuff they hear on a radio or internet.. I'm not Deadmau5, Skrillex, Borgore or whoever I'd be playing, I'm me, and I am too lazy to make my own music.. haha

There is a lot of grey area in there when your on the outside looking in.. Guys like Tiesto, David Guetta, Skrillex, ect... do both, and it confuses people I think

TVM
08-19-2012, 12:39 PM
I hear you. But for me it's all about the way the dj plays the song and how they incorporate it in the mix. I've heard some of the same songs dozens of times at different shows/clubs, but every time I hear it, it's different than the last. Whether it was remixed with a different song, dropped at a different time or however. And as a dj (who also produces) it's a good way to drop a new track of yours and promote it.

DJNR
08-19-2012, 01:58 PM
I actually am quitting DJing because personally I feel like I'm "lying" to myself and fans/friends by playing other peoples music... I'd rather see a local band play originals than a cover band... so why would someone come to see me play the same stuff they hear on a radio or internet.. I'm not Deadmau5, Skrillex, Borgore or whoever I'd be playing, I'm me, and I am too lazy to make my own music.. haha

There is a lot of grey area in there when your on the outside looking in.. Guys like Tiesto, David Guetta, Skrillex, ect... do both, and it confuses people I think

I think it's a shame you're quitting for that reason. It's how a DJ mixes other people's music to create something new or unique that makes him who he is.

Era 7
08-19-2012, 02:09 PM

because a DJ is not a band (even though many producers turned DJ act like they are). i don't want to go to a show and hear the DJ play just his own stuff for two hours straight. the good thing of being a DJ is that his musical bounds are practically endless.

thehadgi
08-19-2012, 02:23 PM

interesting. I got into producing for the same reason. Although I didn't feel like I 'lying' to anyone necessarily, but I see your point. Now I pretty much only produce, although in the future I'll probably DJ my own stuff if/when the time comes.

tyadams2006
10-22-2012, 11:03 PM
So question... When you see artists who call themselves DJ's like DJ Tiesto, Paul Van Dyke, Paul Oakenfold, David Guetta, Alice Deejay, Fragma, ect. Even those who actually use DJ in their names, they come up with what I assume is original material. Am I correct? Somewhere when electronic music first started it had to be original music. What I know of a DJ is that it is a person either on the radio or doing a live event that plays other peoples music. But most electronica artists call themselves DJ's from what I know. Yet, they create original music. If they didn't no one would listen to them. Have you ever listened to remixes that some artists like Rob Zombie or Static-X have put out remixes of their own music. Its electronic remixes. But it's not original work. Its just an electronic remix of their previous work. Those albums do not go anywhere. They are just made for the artists enjoyment of making them and some fans enjoy remixes as do I. So I'm just not understanding the whole terms DJ and producer.. no artist like DJ Tiesto for example calls himself Producer Tiesto or producer whatever. They always call themselves DJ whatever. So I assume the term DJ is interchangable? Also, you are correct in that a producer is someone who produces music but a producer does not create original works of music. Only the artist does. The producer just helps to fix it up to make it stronger and help the artist to see his vision clearer. Maybe this is all one in the same. Correct me if I am wrong.

So, I want to create techno, trance, ect music. Therefore I am a DJ who creates this music. Yes sometimes I can remix other people's music as in the case of David Guetta. But I am still taking sounds and effect and putting them ontop of the original music or simply taking out the music adding in my sounds and effects and leaving in the vocals. I believe the term DJ was expanded or rather changed during the invention of electronic music and hip hop and rap.

But whatever the term is I would still consider myself a DJ who creates original music through sounds and effects mashed together to create a song.

stiny24
10-23-2012, 07:32 PM
This is a great topic and since I got into edm I've asked myself the same questions. Tiesto and his clublife podcasts got me into edm and it always confused me because he has his tracks but then he played other artists tracks. And in the beginning of all his podcasts it says "the worlds biggest Dj". So at first I just thought he was a dj that had other producers create music for him. But as I've become more educated in the edm industry I've found that artists like Tiesto, David Guetta, and all the big names are producers who use Djing as a sort means to get there tracks heard.

I've found it funny that when I tell my friends who are in music that I'm giving djing a shot they go " Oh thats cool so have you made any tracks yet or do you just mix stuff".I think to myself, " -_- I said DJing not producing"

I think most people hear Dj now they think of both mixing music and producing music because of the big names in edm now. If you do both including making original music then I'd say you are both a DJ and producer. That's my view at it at least :P

Xplicit
10-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Many people don't understand the difference between producing and DJing. Simply said, a DJ is an entertainer who plays pre-recorded music for crowds. Also simply said, a Producer is someone who makes or remakes (aka remixes) music in a studio. In any case, when on DJF, look for DJs to post mixes and such and look for Producers to post their own created tracks and/or remixes of other tracks.

Obviously, there are DJs who are Producers and Producers who are DJs. Blurring the line further, there is a movement called Live Remixing (http://www.djenferno.com/lrp/index.html) that does just that. DJ Enferno is the poster-child for this type of performance.

DJs typically use decks to make music and work with entire tracks. If software is used, the software usually emulate decks for digital audio playback using MP3s - like DJ apps and DVS software. At the end, a DJ performs a mix that is comprised of a sequence of songs.

Producers work with elements of tracks and add/remove those elements to remix the track into something that didn't exist before. In this way, they work as computer-aided composers who sometimes just "spice up" the beat or create whole new music passages. They use Digital Audio Workstation software, Digital Audio Editors, and many (sooo many) plugins to make their magic happen. At the end, they have a newly made track that can be used by a DJ in a DJ Mix.

Exciting times.

-KLH

Thanks man I understand a lot more now, was some confusion in my threads but I read this and it finally cleared things up.

TonyAldo
11-13-2012, 01:33 PM
You almost have to look at it this way, producers are the farm owners growing shit like carrots, corn, peas, etc. Now all of that tastes good on its's own. But what you need is Gordon Ramsay aka the DJ who can cook all this up and make you feel happy with that mean dubstep drop he just fed you. In a sense, DJ's are sort of low key producers as well.

thehadgi
05-10-2013, 08:34 AM
Just had to explain for 15 minutes to coworkers why I'm a 'producer' and 'not' a dj (yet lol). i still don't think they get it

i think from now on, i'll probably just tell these people i'm a dj. in the same way i'll have to tell them that i make 'techno' music (ie, progressive house) :lol:

KLH
05-10-2013, 08:41 AM
Yeah, the lines aren't as clearly distinct as they used to be. Does a remix that is done via cue-point juggling make the artist a DJ or producer?

I look at it this way: Producers make tracks to be listened to individually. DJs make mixes designed for a dancefloor.

-KLH

Skeyelab
05-10-2013, 01:46 PM
I think this mentally come from the hip-hop world were many DJs produced beats before.

wait... what? DJs don't produce beats in any genre. A DJ replays pre-recorded music. A producer produces music. Even in hip hop. Many producers are also DJs and vice versa.

They are 2 separate things, of which people can be neither, one, or both.

CocaineAudio
05-12-2013, 08:43 PM
why was this posted again?