PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on the possible purchase of Stanton STR8-30s

DJ D'Construcz
02-27-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm getting pretty good at scratching & mixing on my Numark TT-1610s and feel that I am ready to upgrade. I'm moving in with some friends from work and we will be throwing lots of parties. Now that I'm getting more familiar with tables, I plan on DJ'ing all of our parties. So I'm not looking at getting any paying gigs in the too near future but will be playing for crowds. So I want something I can do a live set on and have it sound good without raking out the dough for Str8-150s or 1200s. Seeming as I have an opportunity to pick up a working pair for $99.00 I'm really considering it. I am curious as to how good these tables are in the terms of torque, longevity, sound quality, whether they skip a lot or not, and just a general opinion of them all together. Would like answers from anyone, but especially from people who have used them themselves before. Thank you all in advance.

Rick_N
02-27-2012, 08:22 PM
I'd look into some str8-100's or t-120's or even some numark tt500, which have the same motor as the ttx but without the digital crap.

DJ D'Construcz
02-28-2012, 01:02 AM
For that amount of money I would rather go with Stanton T.62b's but I appreciate the input. What did you base your opinion off of to say get 100s, 120s or the 500 rather than the Str8-30s?

Windows 95
02-28-2012, 01:22 AM
I don't think I've ever used that particular model. But I can tell you, torque wise they're gonna be junk.

DTR
02-28-2012, 01:34 AM
You'll have difficulty trying to beat mix with a pitch fader that short. Not impossible of course (ask anyone who has beat mixed on a rack-mount CD deck), but the fader will be twice as sensitive as a standard one.

Hausgeist
02-28-2012, 07:17 AM
If you are mixing and scratching on Numark belt drives, anything you use is going to seem awesome in comparison.

Rick_N
02-28-2012, 10:32 AM
For that amount of money I would rather go with Stanton T.62b's but I appreciate the input. What did you base your opinion off of to say get 100s, 120s or the 500 rather than the Str8-30s?

Because for the money those are great tables. I've never actually played on the 30's, but the 100's have decent tourqe, and the 120's are the updated model. Plus you can pick up tt500's for cheap. You rather buy once and be set for awhile, rather than keep upgrading all the time.

Rick_N
02-28-2012, 10:41 AM
I don't know where in Florida your located. I actually grew up in Gainesville and Jaxsonville. But I did a quick search on craigslist in Orlando since its central to give you an idea.

2 Stanton Str8-100's for 95$

http://orlando.craigslist.org/ele/2853293818.html

DJ D'Construcz
03-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Thank you for all the input guys I won't be buying these 30s, I'm looking more towards a new set of Stanton T.62B's from Guitar Center and that way I can afford a system too. I really do appreciate you all steering me away from the Str8-30s. I DJ Hip-Hop/Disco/Rap/Dubstep/D&B/Dance/House and like to scratch, I feel that the 62s will be a great tool to advance for a good while until I pick up some more advanced tables. They seem to have decent torque and easy to use no fancy digital crap or extra controls. But then again any feedback is always appreciated.

HBBoogie
03-01-2012, 05:32 PM
I DJ Hip-Hop/Disco/Rap/Dubstep/D&B/Dance/House and like to scratch, I feel that the 62s will be a great tool to advance for a good while until I pick up some more advanced tables. They seem to have decent torque and easy to use no fancy digital crap or extra controls. But then again any feedback is always appreciated.

The 62's are probably fine for mixing but I wouldn't buy them for scratching. Lack of torque seems to be the biggest complaint of this turntable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErCrJMVDUzU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXG03ZBA_MQ

FCruzDJ
03-02-2012, 08:48 PM
I have Stanton ST8-80 and they're good, but I concur with Rick_N; get one good set for your needs.
Good luck. ;)