PDA

View Full Version : DIY light fixes/mods

Josh Buchanan
05-13-2013, 10:36 PM
So I got a few questions about a laser and a led panel.
First the laser. I recently got a used chauvet scorpion. Its one of the older ones. So I opened it up to to clean all the gunk out. And such and saw the laser emitters. So I got it cleaned and lubed up. And noticed the red it kinda dim. So I was like darn but the other day I was cruise eBay and saw that you can get laser emitters for cheap. And I always thought green and blue would be sick combo. So if check the DC volts on the one in the machine make sure they match the new one could I switch them out? Its only like a neg and pos wire. Maybe a ground.

Next the panel. I found a led panel for cheaps on eBay. But its got a few LEDs out on it. Can you desolder them front the board and replace them?

Thanks for the input
Oh and PS I saw that the laser has x and y dmx control what kind of unit would I need to control the laser?

DJzrule
05-13-2013, 10:42 PM
oh boy, I'm not doing this to sound rude or mean but I want everyone to understand this.

If you have to ask, you SHOULD NOT do it. Lasers are DANGEROUS, and modifying them voids warranty, makes you liable, and endangers everyone around you.

That being said, don't mess with your equipment, its not worth your time, money, or effort to be modifying broken or used stuff, especially if you need to ask around about it. It'll end up costing you more in the long run for parts, time and effort, and you'll end up buying other equipment in the long run.

Synaxis
05-14-2013, 04:46 PM
If you have to ask, you SHOULD NOT do it. Lasers are DANGEROUS, and modifying them voids warranty, makes you liable, and endangers everyone around you.

This. Please don't do it. Not only that, but I'm pretty it's also illegal. All lasers need to be FDA compliant or certified.

As for the LED Panel, unless you have some electrical technical knowledge/know how, I wouldn't either. You need to know the exact specifications of the LEDs they are using, because you don't want that thing to burst into flames either.

DJzrule
05-14-2013, 11:08 PM
This. Please don't do it. Not only that, but I'm pretty it's also illegal. All lasers need to be FDA compliant or certified.

It's 100% illegal in the US. All lasers of any power rating must be FDA certified for personal or professional use. From 4.9mW up.

fueledbymusic
05-27-2013, 06:39 PM
The red lasers always seem dim. No matter the mw's on them. They're seemingly dim.

DJ Higgumz
05-28-2013, 10:22 PM
Red is a very dim color. Though everyone is telling you to not do it, I personally say do some research on it. For learning purposes. Electronics mods are very fun and teach you alot about things around you. Apply for a variance. Find out the legalities.