PDA

View Full Version : Ear Infection.

Dj_4-$hure
02-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Three weeks ago I had the worst ear infection ever. I was djing in my bedroom with my headphones on for about two hours went to sleep that night, woke up a few hours later and I felt like my right ear drum was blown (yeah it was that bad). I was in so much pain that I had to drive to the emergency room to get my ear checked out. I went over to the nurse in the front counter, with tars in my eyes (I'm a 26yr old, 5'8, 200lbs and can look intimi******, but not that day) and she asked me what was wrong, and I literally could not get words out of my mouth but was holding my ear, so just handed over my driver license and she took down my information, saw a doctor and was diagnosed with in ear infection.

Fast forward three weeks from now and my ear still doesn't feel 100% (still get little sharp pain) and am not able to practice like I used to almost everyday. I feel like a boxer that has broken his hands, and wants to get in the ring so badly. So all this leads me to ask you guys...How many people have suffered something like this or was there anything that happened to you, that stopped you from playing gigs, or practicing, painfully or emotional.

Era 7
02-27-2012, 02:52 PM
ouch that sounds painful.

i had an irritated eardrum a few weeks back. got diagnosed right in the morning and i had a gig that evening. still played the gig though. my hearing was really muffled on my left ear like someone put a HPF on it. wasn't really painful or anything but it was still really annoying for the first few days. always had to turn my head when talking to people because it couldn't really hear them on one ear.

Sigma
02-27-2012, 02:55 PM
I had an ear infection like that late last year. It felt like someone had taken the inner workings of my ear and put them in a vice.

I think the worst thing I've had that's DJ related is wrist/hand pain. A few years back I had to go and have a test to see if I had carpal tunnel syndrome, but thankfully the test came back negative. I eased off on DJing (scratching particularly), typing, video games - basically anything that I thought would aggravate it, and thankfully after a few months it settled down.

Badger
02-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Good questions.

I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through this. I've had plenty of ear infections over the years, and they suck, but I've never had them so badly that I had to miss a gig. In fact, I've never missed a gig due to illness; the only reason I've ever backed out of a paying gig was because I found out that my college graduation ceremony was going to be on the same night. (To my credit, I let the customer know 1-2 months in advance and got them in touch with one of my most respected competitors, and the client was really understanding about the situation.)

I have been ill during gigs, though. I remember during my first or second year of DJing... I had a prom gig for a local high school, and I had a MASSIVE fever. My sinuses were going haywire and I felt I'd been hit by a truck... but I knew my duty and I plowed through the gig.

While at the prom, my two assistants and I (we were all seniors in high school) struck up conversations with three senior girls there, including one upon whom I was totally fixated. (She looked like a young Minnie Driver.) They asked if we wanted to come to their hotel room for the afterparty. I was just skating on the surface of death (or so it felt), but I tried to convince myself that I could join them "for a little bit," but it didn't happen.

One of my two assistants didn't want to go, but the other one got to be the only dude at the hotel afterparty. He's told me that nothing ever happened there. Heh heh. I try to believe him.

:badger:

Ver Jaina
02-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Ear infection does suck...i have experienced it at least once a year since i was at my high school.
they unfortunately left a permanent damage to my hearing sensitivity, as confirmed by audiometry tests.
thank goodness when i get older i seldom get ear-ache, sometimes an excessive fluid (wax like), but nothing too painful.

not occupational & DJ related disease, but something to do with lack of immunization when i was a kid.

TocaTone
02-27-2012, 08:22 PM
I heard that wearing headphones allow the ears to harbour much more bacteria than usual. Could be an old wives tale but could be why us DJs get so many pesky ear problems.

Dj_4-$hure
02-27-2012, 10:00 PM
I had an ear infection like that late last year. It felt like someone had taken the inner workings of my ear and put them in a vice.

I think the worst thing I've had that's DJ related is wrist/hand pain. A few years back I had to go and have a test to see if I had carpal tunnel syndrome, but thankfully the test came back negative. I eased off on DJing (scratching particularly), typing, video games - basically anything that I thought would aggravate it, and thankfully after a few months it settled down.

Do you get the urge to scratch like you use to.

Good questions.

I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through this. I've had plenty of ear infections over the years, and they suck, but I've never had them so badly that I had to miss a gig. In fact, I've never missed a gig due to illness; the only reason I've ever backed out of a paying gig was because I found out that my college graduation ceremony was going to be on the same night. (To my credit, I let the customer know 1-2 months in advance and got them in touch with one of my most respected competitors, and the client was really understanding about the situation.)

I have been ill during gigs, though. I remember during my first or second year of DJing... I had a prom gig for a local high school, and I had a MASSIVE fever. My sinuses were going haywire and I felt I'd been hit by a truck... but I knew my duty and I plowed through the gig.

While at the prom, my two assistants and I (we were all seniors in high school) struck up conversations with three senior girls there, including one upon whom I was totally fixated. (She looked like a young Minnie Driver.) They asked if we wanted to come to their hotel room for the afterparty. I was just skating on the surface of death (or so it felt), but I tried to convince myself that I could join them "for a little bit," but it didn't happen.

One of my two assistants didn't want to go, but the other one got to be the only dude at the hotel afterparty. He's told me that nothing ever happened there. Heh heh. I try to believe him.

:badger:

Thanks and Welcome back Badger!