PDA

View Full Version : Help! I think I broke my Trigger Finger!

punky
02-27-2012, 02:35 PM
So I've owned a Trigger Finger forever, and it's always worked great. After reading a bit about pad mods on Akai MPDs, I was curious about doing the same for my Trigger Finger. So I unscrewed the back and popped it open. I took notice of how it looked in there, how the pads were set up, etc. I pulled the rubber pad section out just to look at it, then put it all back together.

Then for a while, my computer (Lenovo y560p) wasn't recognizing the Trigger Finger and I had to uninstall and reinstall the drivers before it was recognized again.

Now I'm getting these weird ghost triggers in Ableton with Drum Racks. When I hit pads, the pads around them sometimes get hit, and sometimes, when notes go on, sometimes they don't go off. In Torq, it only stays recognized for a short time before it shits the bed and Torq doesn't recognize it anymore. It comes up in the preferences menu, but it won't receive any messages from it.

Has anyone ever taken apart the Trigger Finger? Anyone have any experiences with this?

Gjhowe1
02-27-2012, 11:44 PM
Humm never took apart a trigger finger but im in school for electronics, have you checked to see if the rubber pad's are seated properly? That could explain the ghost triggers. Also if the pads are not seated right, and are depressing the buttons on the board at random times, it could be confusing the midi controller and resulting in a disconnect. The only other thing i could think of that could cause a disconnect would be a loose component. Are there any wiring harnesses inside? cables? Check to see if they are secure.

I highly doubt you fried the thing with static, most parts in midi controllers are not susceptible to static, and ESD damage is often it just stops working.

I did that same thing to my RMX, it works fine but i bent the shit out of the cross fader.

Nick Bike
02-28-2012, 12:37 AM
from the title i immediately thought that your girlfriend must disappointed but then i realized this was not that kind of issue....

punky
02-28-2012, 01:43 PM
The connectors on the wires are all seated correctly, and it seems like the pads are as well. I don't know man. I opened the thing up and checked everything but there are still tons of ghost triggers, and the notes just simply do NOT go off now. It SUCKS.

Gjhowe1
02-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Tried switching out the USB cable?

RDRCK
02-28-2012, 02:11 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/z3jft.jpg

Will MaXimal
02-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Hey man! I have taken mine apart before to paint it gold. I didnt have any connection problems but a friend of mine had the same weird issues and we did this:

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=402505&ssdFilterCommunity10=1438&ssdFilter_SearchKeyWord=&Hilite=

Q: How can I reset the Trigger Finger to its factory defaults?

A: Disconnect the Trigger Finger from the USB port and/or power supply. Hold down the 'Prog / Bank Change' and the 'Full / Lock Velocity' buttons simultaneously and while doing so, re-connect the USB cable and/or Power Supply. Keep the two buttons held down for a couple of seconds after the Trigger Finger powered up again.

Seemed to work

Gjhowe1
02-28-2012, 06:23 PM
^^ love you'r sig. +1

Wouldn't have occurred me to to reset the device :facepalm: Best solution is often the simplest.

peterwo2e
02-28-2012, 09:06 PM
i live in the bronx i have trigger finger sitting in my closet make me an offer and pick it up. that is if you can't get yours to work.

punky
02-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Tried switching out the USB cable?

First thing I tried. :(

Hey man! I have taken mine apart before to paint it gold. I didnt have any connection problems but a friend of mine had the same weird issues and we did this:

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=402505&ssdFilterCommunity10=1438&ssdFilter_SearchKeyWord=&Hilite=

Q: How can I reset the Trigger Finger to its factory defaults?

A: Disconnect the Trigger Finger from the USB port and/or power supply. Hold down the 'Prog / Bank Change' and the 'Full / Lock Velocity' buttons simultaneously and while doing so, re-connect the USB cable and/or Power Supply. Keep the two buttons held down for a couple of seconds after the Trigger Finger powered up again.

Seemed to work

Tried that too, actually was the second thing I tried.

i live in the bronx i have trigger finger sitting in my closet make me an offer and pick it up. that is if you can't get yours to work.

I may take you up on that. PMed.

Will MaXimal
03-13-2012, 07:15 PM
^^ love you'r sig. +1

Wouldn't have occurred me to to reset the device :facepalm: Best solution is often the simplest.

:tup:

Punky - Thats weird that it didnt work man... That should have totally fixed it. Do you still have the broken trigger finger?