PDA

View Full Version : Cant decide: Chauvet intimidator 450 vs Elation e spot II

rxh5015
05-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Hello guys,

I am new in this forum and decided to ask a question. After doing research for about a week, I cant seem to decide between the following models. PLEASE GIVE AND INPUT IF YOU CAN, it will be greatly appreciated.

Chauvet intimidator 450 ($1500) LINK HERE (http://www.chauvetlighting.com/intimidator-spot-led-450.html)
Light Source: 3x60W LEDs Beam Angle: 19 23,680 lux @ 2m
-This is a new light from chauvet which made it difficult to find reviews and info on the item. I like this light because its brighter than the e spot. It is also heavier and bigger than the e spot as well. I am also not completely familiar with chauvet products and their reliability. I have read that their high-end products are good as opposed to their low end products, which are not that reliable. BUT, have no personal experience.

Elation e spot LED II ($1200) LINK HERE (http://www.elationlighting.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=1860&MainId=1&Category=Moving%20Head)
Light Source: 60W LED 15 Beam Angle 7776LUX @ 2.5M
(the e spot I is a 45W LED, less brighter and is $1500. Does anyone know why?)
-I like the features on this moving head. Even though it doesn't have the power (don't actually know for a fact that its less bright). I like the gobos integrated, the 5 split, the 3-D effect.

*I manage a band that plays at small to medium-size venues, bars, clubs, and rodeos (not big arenas). We are looking to investing in illumination with the hopes of renting equipment to other bands in the future (already doing some rentals now)

I also don't know whether to ditch the spots and go with beams. From what I've read they are very bright, and it seams to be that it is more professional to carry beams for shows. Please correct me if I am wrong. Was thinking about the chauvet intimidator 350 beams ($900)

Also, if you know of any moving head that would recommend, my budget it set to ~$1600 max.

Thanks for the help

DJJD
05-13-2013, 10:55 AM
elation makes some quality stuff, however, 180w vs 60w is a huge difference. Also the wider beam angle on the intimidator can be nice if you're in smaller venues.

sss18734
05-13-2013, 12:28 PM
The 450 is more moving head than you really need for small-medium venues. The 350's are quite bright and likely to suite your needs pretty well. A bonus is that you can get two of them for around the same price as a 450. Also, you may not be able to charge that much more to rent a 450 vs a 350. But you know your local market better than I do.

What do you mean when you say "ditch the spots and go with beams?"

rxh5015
05-13-2013, 03:15 PM
elation makes some quality stuff, however, 180w vs 60w is a huge difference. Also the wider beam angle on the intimidator can be nice if you're in smaller venues.

Exactly. Thats the reason I couldn't decide. Whether to go for the power of the intimidator or the reliability of Elation. Not that one is better than the other. Its that i just heard better stuff from elation.

rxh5015
05-13-2013, 03:33 PM
The 450 is more moving head than you really need for small-medium venues. The 350's are quite bright and likely to suite your needs pretty well. A bonus is that you can get two of them for around the same price as a 450. Also, you may not be able to charge that much more to rent a 450 vs a 350. But you know your local market better than I do.

What do you mean when you say "ditch the spots and go with beams?"

I am glad you mentioned he fact that I can get two 350's close to the price of one 450 because I was stuck with those choices at the beginning, and still contemplating it. I am purchasing four, so I can get six 350's for the price of four 450's. Your right about charging for the equipment based on the things we carry; most people don't really notice the difference and don't really appreciate "good" stuff.
What we don't want to be stuck doing is having the 350's for a couple of years and then later upgrading to the 450's. We figured if we are going to invest in some lighting, then we better invest in something good, but affordable. As it has happened with other equipment we had and later upgraded it. Ultimately, we are aiming to rent the equipment to college outdoor concerts, or similar events. I am unsure if the 350's will hold for outdoor events at night; not that they will not hold, I am just new and being safe and going for more power.

What I meant by saying "ditch the spots" is that I have seen (on youtube) that events use more of washes and single color beams in performances and not so much the gobos and moving figures. So, I was stuck on the idea that it would be better to buy six 350 beams for now and later add LED washes and such. The gobos seem more geared towards clubs BUT YOU CAN CORRECT ME if I am wrong.

I am not quite sure if most people use beams or spots for live performances or a mixture of both. Please help with an input.

Synaxis
05-13-2013, 03:53 PM
Ultimately, we are aiming to rent the equipment to college outdoor concerts, or similar events. I am unsure if the 350's will hold for outdoor events at night; not that they will not hold, I am just new and being safe and going for more power.

Outdoor Events, I would definitely go towards the 450's.

Beam vs. Spot wise. Either way, you are going to need haze to see the beams of any fixture. Beams looks great when you have a ton of them. Spots are good if you want to cover a greater area with some light. If you want to see the gobos nice and clear, go with Spots. If not, than beams. But you can create some pretty cool effects with different gobos. Plus, if you just want beams, all you really need are some wash moving heads with a tight beam, which will give you the same effect, but without gobos, prisms, ect...

Also, you do have other options to consider:

http://www.chauvetlighting.com/q-spot-460-led.html
http://www.blizzardlighting.com/index.php/torrent-f3

rxh5015
05-13-2013, 04:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBt3-oS-9W0 SKIP TO THE 1:00 min Mark

The largest place we have played at is this hall and an outdoor event; a rodeo. If the intimidator 350's will do for this size I think I would rather invest in 6 fixtures rather than 4.

I am really confused. Thanks for the help. If i really am not going to use the 180W then why buy them.

robare99
05-13-2013, 04:50 PM
What I meant by saying "ditch the spots" is that I have seen (on youtube) that events use more of washes and single color beams in performances and not so much the gobos and moving figures. So, I was stuck on the idea that it would be better to buy six 350 beams for now and later add LED washes and such. The gobos seem more geared towards clubs BUT YOU CAN CORRECT ME if I am wrong.

I am not quite sure if most people use beams or spots for live performances or a mixture of both. Please help with an input.

Here's some short videos with gobos.

The setup:

20' truss
11 blizzard 3NX's in pairs from the outside in
4 Martin Minimac Profiles
DMXIS for control

i4O2c9IYhG0

JB2ji3y8cN0

s4PmMbfBEC0

YrmAcXP5Feo

lxY54SLrqtY

It's all running off one 20 amp fuse. The 3NX's (RGB)run around $200 + shipping. I would pay more than $500 + shipping for the Minimac Profiles. I have a couple blizzard Fab5's (RGBAW) for lighting the band. They run $250ish + shipping. Great for indoors. Outdoors is a different beast. Then you are looking at 450's, big boy box truss, more power draw etc.

BillESC
05-13-2013, 05:12 PM
Let's throw another curve in your direction.

Blizzard's Torrent F3 offers an output very close to the Elation fixture and features two Gobo Wheels. One rotating and one fixed. This allows for gobo morphing which is an exciting effect. Put this with the $ 999 MAP (less on the street) and you can own a bunch.

I would personally combine the F3's with blizzard Blade RGBW's. You'll have a killer show and a few bucks left over.