PDA

View Full Version : Please Rate this setup before I purchase

jsavino
05-13-2013, 10:29 AM
So I have no lighting what so ever and from reading reviews and post here Ive come up with this setup I plan on buying. Please let me know if i should or should not buy certain items or if this setup is good. I also plan on using just 2 t-bars to set this up.

chauvet 4 bar tri x 2
chauvet mini kinta x 2
chauvet 4 play cl x 2
chauvet intimidator spot led 350 x 2(i plan on getting a total of 4-6 of these i just love how they look just cant afford all of them now)
American DJ Micro Galaxian x 2

djeternal
05-13-2013, 11:05 AM
I personally use the ADJ Micro Galaxian and it is awesome in my opinion.

Baller95
05-13-2013, 11:27 AM
I personally use the ADJ Micro Galaxian and it is awesome in my opinion.

:stupid:

Johnnotestine
05-13-2013, 11:46 AM
So I have no lighting what so ever and from reading reviews and post here Ive come up with this setup I plan on buying. Please let me know if i should or should not buy certain items or if this setup is good. I also plan on using just 2 t-bars to set this up.

chauvet 4 bar tri x 2
chauvet mini kinta x 2
chauvet 4 play cl x 2
chauvet intimidator spot led 350 x 2(i plan on getting a total of 4-6 of these i just love how they look just cant afford all of them now)
American DJ Micro Galaxian x 2

If I was starting to purchase lights all over again I would not buy anything that isn't DMX.

Ditch the Galaxians.

I'd probably go for the ADJ dekker over the Mini-Kinta.

The Intimidator spots look great.

jsavino
05-13-2013, 12:54 PM
thanks for the input im going to check out the adj dekker. I really dont want to get into dmx because i am already going to be djaying and mcing and really dont want to have to worry about controlling another device during parties, kind of just want to setup on auto sync and go

Johnnotestine
05-13-2013, 01:26 PM
thanks for the input im going to check out the adj dekker. I really dont want to get into dmx because i am already going to be djaying and mcing and really dont want to have to worry about controlling another device during parties, kind of just want to setup on auto sync and go

Then I would save $2000 and not buy moving heads - no point unless you are using DMX.

DJzrule
05-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Then I would save $2000 and not buy moving heads - no point unless you are using DMX.

I don't understand why anyone would go and spend all that money on lights and not DMX them. Fortunately my well-choreographed and programmed light shows set me apart from my competition. :shrug:

Johnnotestine
05-13-2013, 04:08 PM

I don't understand why anyone would go and spend all that money on lights and not DMX them. Fortunately my well-choreographed and programmed light shows set me apart from my competition. :shrug:

We are in complete agreement. Why did I get the stupid guy?

There are some easy solutions out there for programming and using DMX.

Synaxis
05-13-2013, 04:37 PM
I would ditch the Kinta's, Galaxians, and 4-Play CLs. The Kinta's and Galaxians are not DMX. Even if you don't want to program shows with DMX, it will at least allow you to turn the lighting on and off. Moving heads, and other fixtures, when you apply power to them, go through a "test" phase. So Don't expect that they will just automatically "work" when you turn them on. It will take a minute, which does not look professional.

As for the 4-Play CLs, I personally just hate the effect. It gets boring way too fast, and you only have three colors.

Buy some uplights or different effect lights instead.

Johnnotestine
05-13-2013, 05:41 PM
I think you might be mistaken, the Kinta's are 3 channel DMX.

I agree though they aren't worth it, although I do like a couple derby effect lights for High School dances. That's why I suggested the ADJ Dekker.

BillESC
05-13-2013, 06:18 PM
You should take a look at Blizzard's Weather System, it would be a good starting point to build from.

Synaxis
05-13-2013, 07:17 PM
I think you might be mistaken, the Kinta's are 3 channel DMX.

I agree though they aren't worth it, although I do like a couple derby effect lights for High School dances. That's why I suggested the ADJ Dekker.

Ahh, yes. You are correct. For some reason, I had mistook them for a different fixture which I assumed they were only plug and play.

DJzrule
05-13-2013, 09:12 PM
We are in complete agreement. Why did I get the stupid guy?

There are some easy solutions out there for programming and using DMX.

I was using that to agree with you haha. :tup:

DjNeedleSharp
05-23-2013, 12:50 AM
I'm a bit late but I'll chime in anyways. Scalability is the problem here. I see why you have that setup but after trying to do it myself I've finally found an answer. It can't work... If you do a $400 middle school dance on friday and a $1200 wedding the next day, you will most likely use totally different lighting.

For the dance: 1 4bar, 2 led effect lights.
For the wedding: two Spot 350s on totems, two small led par cans as truss warmers inside totems, possibly a few high powered LED pars on the sides of the totems as floor wash, and 6 high powered LED pars behind me as uplighting.

You don't use a SINGLE cheap led effect light at that wedding damn it! And why bust out with your nice gear for the cheap asses at the school? Personally I went with Blizzard Q6a's for my high powered LED pars but there are lots of great options as long as they are 3 watt or higher tri or quad color LEDs. As far as DMX programming, I'm going to start a thread soon with a tutorial showing how easy it really is to make a super easy show for your gigs that requires very little attention during the gig. On my lighting program I have 8 buttons that I use:

1. Client Custom- this is for the gig specifically. Most of the time it is a static color of whatever their theme color is. If this doesn't apply, I'll pick a 3 color fade and slow scan around the room.
2. Slow- lights all pink, slow scan around the room
3. Red blue slow scan
4. Red blue sound activated
5. Random color sound activated
6. Strobe slow
7. Strobe fast
8. Blackout

I play my songs in sets of 4 or 5 meaning I try and stick to a genre or theme for 4 or so songs before changing them. So it's dinner time? Button number 1 "client custom". I fill the floor with some new top 40 remix and slamming into different genres to try and get a feel for the crowd and don't have time to pay attention to the lights so i throw on button number 5 "random color sound activated" and flash on the strobe when I remember. Now 20 minutes later people are getting tired so I'm playing a slow song so button number 2- "slow". When I'm walking around and doing some crowd interaction I'll throw on button number 3 "red blue slow".

My biggest reason for doing DMX is so I could not have my scanners flailing around and my washes strobing randomly during a slow song. It is so damn tacky I HATE IT. The other reason is so I could control when I want to strobe all my lights. You worked so hard on filling the floor and you strategically drop Rihanna- We found love, you have your "blue red sound active" going as the song starts as the song slows you throw on your "slow" as the build up comes you splash in some "strobe" and right before the drop comes you "blackout" and go into your "random color sound activated" with flashes of "strobe." and then you're done. Nobody on the floor is thinking "MAN THAT DMX PROGRAMMING WAS THE SHIZZZ" but they are going crazy and the floor is filled with more energy than there would have been with your plug and play master/slave set.

jsavino
05-23-2013, 10:52 AM
I'm a bit late but I'll chime in anyways. Scalability is the problem here. I see why you have that setup but after trying to do it myself I've finally found an answer. It can't work... If you do a $400 middle school dance on friday and a $1200 wedding the next day, you will most likely use totally different lighting.

For the dance: 1 4bar, 2 led effect lights.
For the wedding: two Spot 350s on totems, two small led par cans as truss warmers inside totems, possibly a few high powered LED pars on the sides of the totems as floor wash, and 6 high powered LED pars behind me as uplighting.

You don't use a SINGLE cheap led effect light at that wedding damn it! And why bust out with your nice gear for the cheap asses at the school? Personally I went with Blizzard Q6a's for my high powered LED pars but there are lots of great options as long as they are 3 watt or higher tri or quad color LEDs. As far as DMX programming, I'm going to start a thread soon with a tutorial showing how easy it really is to make a super easy show for your gigs that requires very little attention during the gig. On my lighting program I have 8 buttons that I use:

1. Client Custom- this is for the gig specifically. Most of the time it is a static color of whatever their theme color is. If this doesn't apply, I'll pick a 3 color fade and slow scan around the room.
2. Slow- lights all pink, slow scan around the room
3. Red blue slow scan
4. Red blue sound activated
5. Random color sound activated
6. Strobe slow
7. Strobe fast
8. Blackout

I play my songs in sets of 4 or 5 meaning I try and stick to a genre or theme for 4 or so songs before changing them. So it's dinner time? Button number 1 "client custom". I fill the floor with some new top 40 remix and slamming into different genres to try and get a feel for the crowd and don't have time to pay attention to the lights so i throw on button number 5 "random color sound activated" and flash on the strobe when I remember. Now 20 minutes later people are getting tired so I'm playing a slow song so button number 2- "slow". When I'm walking around and doing some crowd interaction I'll throw on button number 3 "red blue slow".

My biggest reason for doing DMX is so I could not have my scanners flailing around and my washes strobing randomly during a slow song. It is so damn tacky I HATE IT. The other reason is so I could control when I want to strobe all my lights. You worked so hard on filling the floor and you strategically drop Rihanna- We found love, you have your "blue red sound active" going as the song starts as the song slows you throw on your "slow" as the build up comes you splash in some "strobe" and right before the drop comes you "blackout" and go into your "random color sound activated" with flashes of "strobe." and then you're done. Nobody on the floor is thinking "MAN THAT DMX PROGRAMMING WAS THE SHIZZZ" but they are going crazy and the floor is filled with more energy than there would have been with your plug and play master/slave set.

I didnt know dmx was that easy thanks for the info i will look into it