PDA

View Full Version : Looking to spend about $1,000 on lighting...Ideas please.

DJLishis
05-12-2013, 03:48 PM
I have been DJ'ing awhile now and have always borrowed lighting from a friend in the business but I'm getting into the DJ business more now than I was before and I would like to invest around $1,000 in some lighting. I have none now so from the reading I have done it suggests, wash lights first but I really would like some input on what I would be best doing with the $1,000. I DJ mostly weddings.

Thank You!!
DJ Lishis

DJzrule
05-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Especially for weddings, go for lots of LED wash lighting. They call for a more elegant look, and when it comes to effect/intelligent lighting, look at mid-range scanners and moving heads. Some good brands to look at are Blizzard Lighting (Puck series, Colorstorm, Stormchaser, etc...), American DJ (QWH5X and similar), and Chauvet (SlimPAR/SlimPAR Pro, Colorrail, Colorstrip, etc...). :tup:

As for scanners or movers, definitely look into Blizzard Lighting's Torrent Series, Elation's Design Spot series, American DJ's Vizi Series, and Chauvet's Q-Spot or Intimidator Series. My PERSONAL preference are Chauvet and Elation scanners/movers.

Synaxis
05-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Especially for weddings, go for lots of LED wash lighting. They call for a more elegant look, and when it comes to effect/intelligent lighting, look at mid-range scanners and moving heads. Some good brands to look at are Blizzard Lighting (Puck series, Colorstorm, Stormchaser, etc...), American DJ (QWH5X and similar), and Chauvet (SlimPAR/SlimPAR Pro, Colorrail, Colorstrip, etc...). :tup:

As for scanners or movers, definitely look into Blizzard Lighting's Torrent Series, Elation's Design Spot series, American DJ's Vizi Series, and Chauvet's Q-Spot or Intimidator Series. My PERSONAL preference are Chauvet and Elation scanners/movers.

Couldn't have summed it up any better myself. Of Course, with only a $1000, a pair of movers is going to be tough. I would suggest about 4-6 uplights (Blizzard Puck 3's) to get you started. You can place those around your DJ Booth, and they can act as an additional wash if needed. You can get a bar type wash light (Chauvet ColorRail) for the dance floor, and maybe two different effect lights of your choosing.

Later on, with a higher budget, all you would need to do is add a pair of scanners or movers, Since you will pretty much have a good wash lighting base.

sss18734
05-12-2013, 05:37 PM
A pair of Chauvet Mini 4-Bar 2.0's will get you started. I still bring mine to tons of events.

I wouldn't bother with LED pucks yet... You'll only be able to afford two decent ones along with the wash lighting. Save $500, and apply it towards a pair of movers in the future, or other gear you need.

BillESC
05-13-2013, 08:35 AM
Blizzard's Weather System would be a good starting point and only use up about half your budget. It will provide dance floor wash and also 'eye candy', after that consider a gobo projector as an extra revenue stream for your business.

DJLishis
05-13-2013, 07:07 PM
So, I was originally looking at getting: Chauvet 4BAR LED Lighting System & Chauvet 4Play CL Stage Lights and adding some inexpensive effect lighting temporarily until I can upgrade it. Am I better off going with a bar/rail or something like the 4bar and 4play?