PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting DJ Tectonix vs Dubphyte - Quick Dupstep Battle

JonAvalon
05-11-2013, 10:26 PM
Mix 1 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/djtectonix-vs-dubphyte-1.mp3)

Mix 2 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/djtectonix-vs-dubphyte-2.mp3)

Rules:
Genre: Dubstep/Pop
Sync: Yes
Time limit: 8 Minutes
Only 3 sound affects allowed, MIDI CONTROLLERS ONLY
LOSER HAS TO PUT "DJ ___ is better than me" for a month

LondonSoundMan
05-15-2013, 02:48 PM
Mix2 is a little full on at first :?? Wooooow lol it's like some hardcore grabber dub step mash up

Shishdisma
05-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Why is the genre tagged as dubstep? Mix 1 was electro with a broken pitch fader, and Mix 2 had about 1.5 Dubstep tracks in it.

Dubphyte
05-16-2013, 05:32 AM
Why is the genre tagged as dubstep? Mix 1 was electro with a broken pitch fader, and Mix 2 had about 1.5 Dubstep tracks in it.

EDM is a clusterf*ck at times. I just use my best assumption

DJ Tectonix
05-16-2013, 03:55 PM
How do you mean a "Broken Pitch Fader" mine works perfectly

Baller95
05-16-2013, 04:04 PM
^ :lol: but really, you're not suppose to let people know who's mix is who's till the end!

Dubphyte
05-17-2013, 01:29 AM
Also, Sorry about the quality of my mix. I haven't been able to practice in ages, and i'm still not exactly an expert! (Plus my laptop i have to use is rubbish, so sometimes it stutters)

DJ Tectonix
05-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Also, Sorry about the quality of my mix. I haven't been able to practice in ages, and i'm still not exactly an expert! (Plus my laptop i have to use is rubbish, so sometimes it stutters)

Same as well

CountElectrfique
05-18-2013, 04:32 AM
I dunno what was that in first mix, some remix or just a 128 track insanely pitched up, but it had nothing to do with dubstep, sounded like some gabba. Second mix had little to do with dubstep too. Not sure how to judge it. Tbh, I disliked both of em.

Dubphyte
05-18-2013, 08:57 AM
I dunno what was that in first mix, some remix or just a 128 track insanely pitched up, but it had nothing to do with dubstep, sounded like some gabba. Second mix had little to do with dubstep too. Not sure how to judge it. Tbh, I disliked both of em.

Failure is the stepping stones to success. I know mine is kinda crap, but it'll help my become better, and That in itself is good enough :P

DJ Tectonix
05-18-2013, 11:05 AM
I dislike you

Baller95
05-18-2013, 11:16 AM
Dubstep? Not quite, but anyways, here's my critique -

Mix 1 - What was this 160BPM or something?! Also were there only two tracks in this? Where it transitioned I could barely notice it so that was good if you had more tracks in there that's even better because I didn't even know what happened! I did hear some effects... Lots of flange and phaser. I hope this wasn't an 8 minute mix of two tracks though.

Mix 2 - Liked the intro track, first transition was good but incoming track had a slightly higher gain making the transition more noticeable, this track isn't too bad either, the last transition was ok, another noticeable one but the track is alright, too bad it was only played for 30 seconds. So 3 tracks in 8 minutes, that's a bit better I guess lol.

I preferred the tracks in mix 2 more than mix 1 but this isn't really about track selection, it's about mixing skill (though track selection does get factored in a bit). I'm pretty sure mix 1 was only 2 tracks so it's hard to judge off of hearing 1 transition even though it was it good transition. Hmm, this is a tough one to decide! I'm probably going to have to go with mix 2, it had a better vibe and didn't feel like the same beat being played for 8 minutes. But good job both of you, you're both on the right track! :tup:

CountElectrfique
05-18-2013, 12:40 PM
I dislike you

I am okay with that. Being hostile towards others for not liking your mixing is not cool though.

Dubphyte
05-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Ahem. Tectonix? I believe that sig needs changing...

Oh and also, thanks for the feedback. I'm definately gonna have to keep an eye on my levels a bit more. It was quite full-on, but i didn't have much time, needed to smash something great out fast! For anyone who wants the tracks, here they are...

Skrillex ft. Damian Marley Jr. - Make It Bun Dem (Pegboard Nerds Remix)
Revolvr - Feel Good
Zomboy ft. Lady Chann - Here To Stay (MitKlass Remix)

I was aiming for a more specific vibe in that one :P

DJ Tectonix
05-23-2013, 01:48 PM
yeah dubphyte ill change it lol

Coley
05-26-2013, 12:37 PM
Dude, if you're up for another dubstep-ish battle, I'd be happy to take you on. I haven't done a full mix in agessss and dubstep battles seem a pretty rare occurence around here, give me a shout back if you're up for it and I'll sort the call out ;)

fat8ack
05-29-2013, 08:23 PM
guys, mix 2 was almost dubstep so I choose it. Mix 1 is not even remotely dubstep. Sounds like the bpms were turned way up on internet friends. I mean if you are gonna call out or challenge at least know the genera you are gonna play....just sayin.

TheRabbitMonk
05-30-2013, 02:02 PM
i'm listening to this when i get home and for the record i'm looking forward to it. Read most comments and it sound interesting.:P

TheRabbitMonk
05-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Mix 1: Like that start tune (now your going to die), although the tune to me sounds more old skool happy hardcore i think it was called. As i don't know this song i couldn't tell you where the cuts are if any. I might be wrong as i don't know the tunes but it's definitely not dubstep.
Hard to say whats going on here, either your a really tight blender or there isn't much blending going on. Verdict:interesting.

Mix 2: at leased starts with a dubstep type beat. not bad. I find the 1st tune not bad when it drops. Like your second tune was rocking when it came in (Ragga Twins might be breakbeat ). Yea i like it i would play this tune, mix to next one is ok. again decent tune.
verdict:better than mix 1, some blending etc, you were doing something in there what was very slight and occasional what didn't sound very good. it only happened like twice so no biggy.

two gets my vote, but this is far from a dubstep battle.
if you both want to try again and go against me? but this time proper dub step tracks give me a shout.

but guys fairplay you tried and i can't knock that.
good battle