PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting Marco Bass vs Baller95 vs DJ Armani - Commercial Battle

JonAvalon
05-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Mix 1 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/marcobass-vs-baller95-djarmani-1.mp3)

Mix 2 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/marcobass-vs-baller95-djarmani-2.mp3)

Mix 3 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/marcobass-vs-baller95-djarmani-3.mp3)

Rules:
~15min
No autosync
Effects/scratching allowed
Loser must include link to winners mix and fan page(facebook) in sig for all of July.

DJTriggz
05-11-2013, 02:42 PM
Mix 3 Killed it!! That transition into Shots!! Could even feel it coming without the lmfao track playing

BOWNSIR
05-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Mix 1- Transitions were on point, but would have really liked to hear you keep them going for a little longer. I would be getting into the track, but they would be mixed into the next track fairly quickly (understandable for being a quick mix.) Overall, the track selection was okay for me; not my style, but I could definitely envision this set in a club/party setting in the city. As the mixed progressed, 9:30 and beyond had my head nodding. I would say that was the climax point for the entire mix. Come to around 12:03 there was a little slip up that threw the flow the mix off just a little. At 12:37 I was like, “Man he should of used this one for the climax point.” The Sweet Nothing track was a good closer.

What I liked the most: The flow of the mix until 12:37. Started off low and got me to that high point.

What I disliked the most: Nothing really. If anything, I would say the slip up @12:37 and the first few tracks (all personal opinion though).

Mix 2- The first track started off weird for me; kind of like it was in the middle of a mix and that point was “cut” and a “fade in” was added. First transition at around (1:47? 2:00? 2:15?) was great. You held it for a while and it mixed into the next song seamlessly. I couldn’t even tell where the initial mix in point was as you can tell from above. I’m at 6 minutes and you know what you’re doing with your levels; seamless. I’m about 12minutes it and the song selection still doesn’t have me as engaged as mix one did.

What I liked the most: Your eqing. You know what you’re doing. I appreciate the precise knob twisting/turning madness that, I’m sure, was going on behind the scenes.

What I disliked the most: The introduction. The presentation of the first track really threw me off and I couldn’t get it out of mind.

Mix 3- I’m not really a fan of quick mixing unless it’s executed in a unique way that catches my “ear.” The first transition into the Minaj (err.. Missy) verse had me like, “Oh shit. . . Surprise!” It just popped in for like 1 ½-2 bars maybe and It didn’t sound off as it fit right in. The whole vibe of your song selection is definitely aimed for the club setting. The “shots” loop chopping into the LMFAO track was genius and perfectly executed. I’ve heard a quite a few djs do something similar with other tracks and it always makes me feel tingly inside when I hear something like that. MJ MJ MJ. . . 9:05 a sign of hope! I’m a sucker for any type of vinyl manipulation and in your case, the backspin. Your quick mixing skills are good. You know your music and know when to drop a track. It almost sounds like several songs combined into one track. However, I doubt that is the case.

What I liked the most: It has the be the shots transition.

What I disliked the most: The fact I thought the Missy verse was nikki minaj...smh

All three mixes had their good and bad points. Narrowing down to two: Mix 1 and Mix 3 are very close to each other. On one hand I actually felt that ride to the top for mix one. On the other hand Mix three has some clever technical skills.
…..Mix…th…one :)

DJ Nada
05-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Mix 1: Pretty tight, very smooth transitions, no tricks or anything.
Mix 2: Really didn't like the track selection. I know this is a commercial battle, but ew. Probably could have used an intro.
Mix 3: Very clever sequencing, great work. A little more variation would have made this the clear winner.

This is difficult, I liked 1 and 3 a lot. I'll think about it a little more.

DJArmani
05-11-2013, 04:35 PM
thanks for the feedback guys!

Baller95
05-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback! ill give these a listen when I can :tup:

Dharry
05-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Just listened to all three mixes......
Mix 1...Technically good with smooth and tidy transitions, except for one that was a little untidy. Generally good tracks that sequenced well. A good all round (safe) mix.

Mix 2....Messy start which was a shame really because the transitions in the mix on the whole were tidy. Not my favorite choice of tracks although they worked together unfortunately I wasn't feeling the vibe with it in general.End of the mix seemed to just 'cut off'.

Mix 3....On point transitions! some executed very cleverly with perfection. I loved the tracks (great choice) and they all worked extremely well together.
The whole mix had great vibe and energy to it. I love how your confident shows through.
No doubt your best mix to date....!

My vote goes for mix 3..

In order of preference...mix 3 then mix 1 and then mix 2

Great job guys! :)

Baller95
05-12-2013, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the feedback dharry! I gave em all a listen this morning and I got to say, you two did a great job! This is serious competition so good luck boys!

I've repped everyone that has left a feedback :tup:

Blue Shoes
05-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Will try to remember to listen to these in the morning. I just realised what time it is :(

KLH
05-12-2013, 11:08 AM
DAMN! THIS WAS A BATTLE!!! I had to listen to all three mixes TWICE to settle upon a winner. Wow. I was blown away. THIS was great. Alright, enough amazement. Let's get down to bizzness!

Mix 1
Nice open. You can't go bad with Daft Punk. I liked the track selection on this mix but I felt that there were too many drops in energy caused by mixing into intros. I bet that if you skipped intros altogether (except for beginning of the mix), you'd maintain some serious energy. Going from first chorus to extended intro to first chorus to extended intro just drops too much energy, IMHO. Drive it home brutha! Don't give anyone a break. This is 15 minutes of heart pumpin' action! Still, the mixing was on point (except for one case) and used nice ramps, cuts, and blends.

High Point: I really liked the vocal-to-vocal of I cry to Feel This Moment (~4:45). I really liked how you put the beat from the new track into the old track for a while so that the transition is smooth like it was designed that way by producers. Magic.

Low Point: Poor transition at 12:02 as you jump between Levels mashups. I don't know if it was because the pitch of the two weren't the same, but it was enough to make me stop and take notice and the flow was great until then.

Start/End: Straight track open. No problem. End was a guy saying "Ain't nothing sweet" with an echo that sounded like "tweet, tweet, tweet..." Huh?

Mix 2
We've gotta figure this mono thing out, Mr. DJ. I hate listening to mono unless there's 10,000 watt sub knocking the air out of me in a club. We'll just table the mono issue.

Let's talk about the mix. I loved the tracks, so great selection there. The mixing was fine. There were the normal blends and echos (a personal favorite) so I can't complain - nicely done.

High Point: Great remix of Pumped Up Kicks and even better was the Where Dem Girls At vs Sexy And I Know It mashup. The fact that they were back to back made me get into this mix big time!

Low Point: The blend into the track in 13:25 caused a massive drop in energy as the vocalist did his/her thing.

Start/End: Fade into a mashup. Ok. End was the low point. By the time the energy attempts to come back, the mix is faded out BEFORE the crowdgasm point. This is an aural c*ck tease! CRIMINAL!!!

Mix 3
After listening to two mixes, I wondered if I really needed to listen to this one. This one was worth listening to... as they all are. This one pulled some transitions that I'd like to know how was done... as I have ideas, but would like confirmation. By the way, there was a drop of white noise that appeared throughout the mix, was that a drop? Enough with the mystery, let's get to it!

High Point: There were two because of the transitions that were EXPERTLY done. The first was Last Friday Night going into Shots at 3:35. Awesome. The second was transition from I'm Sexy and I Know It into Turn Up the Music at 6:54. The lyrics play right into each other. Boss skills right there; I may have to cop that transition!

Start/End: Both great. Kesha at the beginning and a brake at the end. Well done.

While I was moved on all three, I had to vote for Mix 3!

-KLH

Baller95
05-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the feedback KLH :tup:

alazydj
05-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Yeah, clearly #3 is just a better mix.

Marco Bass
05-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks for voting. + rep.:)

Sigma
05-12-2013, 02:55 PM
Mix 1 - Watch your levels. Here's track's 1 and 2 for instance: -

http://i.imgur.com/Gv8eypC.jpg

Some of the tracks were noticeably clipping. Other than that, I thought it was a solid mix - no frills, as someone said above - but solid nonetheless.

Mix 2 - You submitted a 48 KHz, 320 Kbps joint stereo MP3, but as KLH said, it's been recorded in mono. I didn't like the fade in start, but I thought it was another solid mix overall.

Mix 3 - I think some post-editing was done on this mix when it comes to the levels. Either that, or all the music you used is compressed to shit. There's something not right about it, but it was the best mix IMO.

The music in all 3 was not my thing at all and I hated every minute of it, but once I'd listened to mix 1 I thought I better carry on, haha. I voted for mix 3.

Baller95
05-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Wow this battles got a lot of votes compared to others I've seen... Thanks for the feedback!

Hightopfade
05-13-2013, 03:09 PM
Easier to listen and vote on shorter mixes. All very good, but mix 3 was outstanding.

Marco Bass
05-17-2013, 05:36 AM
any more voters?:)

Blue Shoes
05-17-2013, 07:05 AM
any more voters?:)

listening now. Will vote in ~45 mins if the mixes are the right length

Blue Shoes
05-17-2013, 07:52 AM
Mix 1:
A big 'no no' I have is mixing two tracks from the same artist and I think the first two tracks didn't really work great together anyway. Aside from that it's all mixed fairly well. The track before I Love It might be a little too Prog House for people who enjoyed the rest of the mix and the remix of I Love It (unless that;s a new song) might Be a bit too Electro House for those people. But Still nice. The mixing into levels (skrillex) was a bit awkward. But not too bad. The Diplo Remix of Sweet Nothing is one of my favourite tracks of last year. Absolute killlllller

Mix 2:
The start was strange and sudden. The original start to levels would have been fine. Maybe you just ran out of time and cropped the intro. I don't like the remix of Pumped up kicks much but the mixing wasn't bad. I think the intro to a few songs was too long for a commercial mix but it was beat matched and neat. Like mix 1, there's a track or two that I wouldn't call commercial but also like mix 1, it was in no way 'sloppy'.

Mix 3:
I think the intro song was a good choice. Nice mix into the second track but the bass sounds like it's clipping. Again, a decent transition with no space for people to stand around waiting for the next song to start. I can only imagine that was a pre-made transition to shots. The intro to sexy and I know it was long and wasn't beat matched for a while. It should have been before you dropped it in. Like mix 1, I don't like the same artist twice in a row. Clever transition to Turn Up The Music but Sexy and I know it had only just started. Could have done it a verse later given how long other tracks played out.

Overall: given the relevance of the tracks, the mixing and the general feel of what was played. I'd vote mix 3. I think it was the most club compatible given the short gaps between songs. Each flowed into the next nicely, maintaining good energy.
However if I create a comp in future I might make a no pre-recorded mash ups or transitions rule.

Baller95
05-17-2013, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

Tektonix
05-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Overall i personally prefer mix 3 :) It just seemed more solid and well rounded and just overall better. There were some things i liked in both mix 1 and 2 however, just not quite enough to surpass the 3rd mix

Great Mixes To All 3 Of You!!!

Baller95
05-17-2013, 03:44 PM
Thanks for commenting man!

eric.brian
05-19-2013, 12:23 PM
Great battle. Mix 3 got vote.

Baller95
05-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks! Any more listeners?

Rad
05-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Good mixes, listened to them all twice.

I really enjoyed the two daft punk tracks at the start of the first one, I think the transitions were all good in this one, but there was a bit of a change in style that I think may be too much of a chance for a short mix.
Very energetic mix, maybe the last track did not really fit the tracks before it ?

Mix two started a bit weird, and the end may have been a bit abrupt as well, I think the actual mixing in this one may have been better than that of mix nr. one.

I voted for mix number three, a lot of tracks, and very good transitions in this one, especially the on into the "sexy and I know it" remix (or mash-up ?)

Still, really enjoyed all three mixes !

Baller95
05-22-2013, 07:58 PM
Thanks for listening! Any more listeners?

CountElectrfique
05-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Gave all mixes a listen. All mixes were pleasant to listen!

Mix 1: Really liked the beginning of the mix, Daft Punk is awesome. Transitions were nice, but I feel like you could mix into less intros. Got a bit messy between Levels remixes, and I felt like Wild For The Night was brought in a bit off beat, but that might be just me. Liked the track choice and overall vibe.

Mix 2: Kinda messy beginning, I think. Good transitions, nice mixing skills, but I didn't like tracks much, didn't feel the vibe too. I also didn't like the use of LMFAO acapella, sounded too cheesy to me. Mix was technically good, but it just appealed the least to me.

Mix 3: Cool mix, really cool. Great vibe and energy, the songs went together really well, didn't like some tracks, but I won't deny, they were well placed and incorporated in the mix. Almost flawless transitions. And yeah, that Shots part was really great.

I was choosing between mix 1 and 3, but decided to give mix 3 my vote, even if I like tracks in the first one better, mix 3 is just plain awesome.

Dharry
06-02-2013, 04:10 AM
Well done everyone.....Congrats Baller! ....:)

Baller95
06-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Thanks Dharry! :) So yeah as you all know I'm mix 3 and I'm surprised with the outcome (the amount of votes/voters), but thanks to everyone that left feedback and voted, I've repped all of you. :tup: Good battle Armani and Marco Bass, both of you had good mixes, I'm sure we'll battle again in the future! Oh and I'll be reminding you two at the end of the month to change your signature. :P

DJ Remax
06-04-2013, 09:54 AM
Mix 3
After listening to two mixes, I wondered if I really needed to listen to this one. This one was worth listening to... as they all are. This one pulled some transitions that I'd like to know how was done... as I have ideas, but would like confirmation. By the way, there was a drop of white noise that appeared throughout the mix, was that a drop? Enough with the mystery, let's get to it!

High Point: There were two because of the transitions that were EXPERTLY done. The first was Last Friday Night going into Shots at 3:35. Awesome. The second was transition from I'm Sexy and I Know It into Turn Up the Music at 6:54. The lyrics play right into each other. Boss skills right there; I may have to cop that transition!

Start/End: Both great. Kesha at the beginning and a brake at the end. Well done.

While I was moved on all three, I had to vote for Mix 3!

-KLH

Hate to burst your bubble and shout of Mix # 3 but these are pre-recored bootlegs from DJ City.

1. Shots - DJ Ecto1 Last Friday Night Intro
LMFAO (feat Katy Perry)

2.Turn Up The Music - NASA Sexy And I Know It Intr...
Chris Brown (feat LMFAO)

Baller95
06-04-2013, 10:27 AM
My jem tracks :argh:

DJ Remax
06-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Ive used them for ages, just kinda bothers me you kinda let people believe they were your transitions.

Baller95
06-04-2013, 12:40 PM
I never commented about those two specific transitions and I'm not denying it. I just chose not to say anything at all, similar to how magicians don't explain their magic. Whenever I post up tracklists for mixes I don't even post up what remix, etc. You get what I mean.

DJArmani
06-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Damn, well next time we battle we should clarify rules when it comes to if we could use bootlegs or not. Technically there's no rule saying that so you didn't cheat, but you did claim them as your transitions. No creativity there all you really did was blend

Baller95
06-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Where do I ever say that those were my transitions? Transition tracks, remixes, bootlegs, etc are all made for a DJ to use. They're not made for no reason. The two tracks I used are transition tracks released on DJ City that I pay for. I'm not going to buy music and not use it.

DJ Remax
06-04-2013, 02:38 PM
I agree with @Armani. You clearly let everyone in this thread assume those transitions were yours by not properly listing the tracks. You were caught now just admit it. Stop dancing around the issue.

Im only calling it as I see it man. I would expect someone out there to do it to me.

here are the links for anyone that wants to check em out

http://www.djcity.com/digital/lmfao-...ro---19206.htm
http://www.djcity.com/digital/chris-...ro---22303.htm
http://www.djcity.com/digital/michae...it---18359.htm

Dharry
06-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Can i just add my opinion..to be fair to Baller...of course his mix was his own creativity.

The mix that he presented for the competition was planned, prepared, put together and produced by himself and he created a great mix.

Developing an idea...a sound....a final mix, consisting of beats, rhythm and sounds and putting them together to make create a final piece of work with energy and skill.

I would say his mix was well worthy to win....he used his DJ thinking and skill and creativity....I think its a shame that these comments are being posted after the competition.
They are very inapropriate and can only serve to cause upset and ill feeling.

Baller95
06-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Thanks Dharry I appreciate that. I'll mix whatever tracks I have and I don't have to say what I'm using.

Defiance
06-04-2013, 02:54 PM
I was just listening to number 3 and wasn't going to vote, but I knew I had hear that Last Friday Night to Shots mashup before.

Would I discredit mix 3 for it? Nope.

DJ Remax
06-04-2013, 03:02 PM
I was just listening to number 3 and wasn't going to vote, but I knew I had hear that Last Friday Night to Shots mashup before.

Would I discredit mix 3 for it? Nope.

one bootleg, id let it slide. But 3 in one mix that all had comments from other members about how "clean" and "smooth" the transititons were. He did not once say anything about those not being produced or edits by another DJ/Producer.

And @Dharry I only now just listened to the mix and thought it was unfair to the competition to be loosing votes to a mix that was presented as his own that was not. By clearly labeling the tracks by thier orginal titles how are we supposed to know when you are mixing and when its another DJ's pre-recored edit.

Hell you could have just played a 16 minute bootleg as passed it off as your own.

This is all just my 2c and I mean no disrespect to Baller. All I was asking is that you properly label your tracks so in a MIX competition we know when your mixing.

Dharry
06-04-2013, 03:25 PM
DJ Remax.... Its a shame that u missed voting when the battle was ongoing because maybe then You could have voiced your thoughts and opinions in a correct way and critiqued each mix rather than criticising just one after the voting is closed ? Most people who voted also left critique for each mix which is open for interpretation for everyone to see and read but falls within the battle duration.

Defiance
06-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Remax, I understand what you mean, he shouldn't take credit for it. But at the same time isn't this suppose to be private (as in the DJs shouldn't comment on the sets) and shouldn't say anything until after the voting?

If I was Baller95, I simply would of said something along the lines of "That was a last friday night and shots transition (mashup, or w/e)" I don't expect him to give us the exact remixes he uses which in my personal definition that mashup was a remix. I would of explained it better after the competition than him, but I see no foul in how he handled it.

With that said I'd like to do a battle like this. Haven't done one before.

BOWNSIR
06-04-2013, 04:09 PM
But if Remax didn't say anything, would Baller95 come out and say that some of the tracks he used were pre-mixed transitions? I don't think he would have, and now that the truth has been uncovered excuses come out (i.e. people make them for use, i'm like a magician not sharing my secrets, etc.) Sure, he didn't claim them as his own, but I honestly thought those were his blends and if you read most of the comments, those are what got him his votes as those were the main highlights. If we negated those tracks, his mix would be on par with the other two, and the voting poll may have had a more balanced outcome.

I get it, producers/djs make these tracks to use, which is okay for the club/party scene. But when in a mix competition, being judged by other djs who are looking for style, creativity, and are overall more critical on analyzing skills of "mixing" why use these types tracks? He had me fooled.

Baller95
06-04-2013, 04:42 PM
DJ Remax.... Its a shame that u missed voting when the battle was ongoing because maybe then You could have voiced your thoughts and opinions in a correct way and critiqued each mix rather than criticising just one after the voting is closed ? Most people who voted also left critique for each mix which is open for interpretation for everyone to see and read but falls within the battle duration.
Agreed, you should have pointed that out for the other members to see if it bothered you so much.

Remax, I understand what you mean, he shouldn't take credit for it. But at the same time isn't this suppose to be private (as in the DJs shouldn't comment on the sets) and shouldn't say anything until after the voting?

If I was Baller95, I simply would of said something along the lines of "That was a last friday night and shots transition (mashup, or w/e)" I don't expect him to give us the exact remixes he uses which in my personal definition that mashup was a remix. I would of explained it better after the competition than him, but I see no foul in how he handled it.

With that said I'd like to do a battle like this. Haven't done one before.
Exactly, he keeps saying I should have put up a proper tracklist but you don't do that for a competition.

But if Remax didn't say anything, would Baller95 come out and say that some of the tracks he used were pre-mixed transitions? I don't think he would have, and now that the truth has been uncovered excuses come out (i.e. people make them for use, i'm like a magician not sharing my secrets, etc.) Sure, he didn't claim them as his own, but I honestly thought those were his blends and if you read most of the comments, those are what got him his votes as those were the main highlights. If we negated those tracks, his mix would be on par with the other two, and the voting poll may have had a more balanced outcome.

I get it, producers/djs make these tracks to use, which is okay for the club/party scene. But when in a mix competition, being judged by other djs who are looking for style, creativity, and are overall more critical on analyzing skills of "mixing" why use these types tracks? He had me fooled.

I didn't want to reply to anyone directly as battle was still on but I could have after it ended but decided to wait for someone to ask me how I did it afterwards. Also the rules never said no transitional tracks, bootlegs, etc.

Defiance
06-04-2013, 04:44 PM
But if Remax didn't say anything, would Baller95 come out and say that some of the tracks he used were pre-mixed transitions? I don't think he would have

You are probably right. But as I listened (I didn't listen to the others the only one I listened to was Mix3 because it had so many votes) I picked up on the Friday/Shots transition, because I've personally tried to recreate it at the time it was out. And found out while I could it took 3 or 4 decks and being perfectly timed lol, something at the time I couldn't do.

I'm not picking sides, I understand both views on it and don't think there is a right answer.

However, I'd like to say this, in old school drag racing. If someone thought something was up with the winner. The track could make the winner disassemble the motor in front of everyone to make sure there were no 'cheats' or the winner could forfeit his prize/trophy.

In DJ terms I think this would be equal to posting the actual song (remix/edit/mashup) used, which btw is something I never do, unless it was necessary for a challenge or deemed necessary for . But it doesn't change anything for this challenge.

Baller95
06-04-2013, 04:51 PM
In DJ terms I think this would be equal to posting the actual song (remix/edit/mashup) used, which btw is something I never do, unless it was necessary for a challenge or deemed necessary for . But it doesn't change anything for this challenge.

It pretty much comes down to this. Also when remax made a comment saying "you've been caught" I was never hiding anything in the first place. Do you think I'm so stupid that I'd get a track from a DJ record pool and hope that no one on a DJ forum would find out?!

BOWNSIR
06-04-2013, 05:51 PM
I didn't want to reply to anyone directly as battle was still on but I could have after it ended but decided to wait for someone to ask me how I did it afterwards. Also the rules never said no transitional tracks, bootlegs, etc.

Fair enough. However, I’m not mad at the fact that you used a bootleg, what got to me to respond initially is that you would have continued to lead people on thinking they were your blends if Remax hadn’t said anything. How did I come to this conclusion? When I posted my critique and thought the second song was a Niki Minaj song, you did not hesitate to PM me directly stating that it was in fact a Missy Elliot song. This isn’t the actual problem. We went back and forth a few times and you finally said, “btw I’m mix 3” And I was like, “Oh snap! Good on the transition” ect. I even mentioned in my critique post that the shots mix (thinking that you actually did it) was genius. My thing is, you were quick to correct me on the Missy Elliot song and quick to let me know which mix was yours (while voting was still going on) but you didn’t “correct” me on the shots blend. You could have easily mentioned, “oh yeah, that blend wasn’t actually live” Some people could care less about what you used in your mix, but what I dislike is when your cover was blown you play it off like you’re not the type to give a full tracklist or it wasn’t listed in the rules when your initial intention of passing those pre-mixed songs off as your own failed. At least own up to that. :squint:

M!TCH
06-04-2013, 09:27 PM
I didn't listen but thought I might opine. No one should ever comment on the mixes, even if there are questions from the voting public as to authenticity of something until voting is over. If it comes out that it wasn't fair, either a rematch or someone forfeits the win.

With regards to what tracks are used, in commercial music and the amount of mash ups people listen to nowadays people should be used to bootlegs/mashups/edits, etc. If I'm listening to a battle mix I'm not necessarily only focused on the transitions, I'm focused on a multitude of things (not to mention, I never know where the transitions are in this "genre") so unless a transition is obvious I refrain from commenting on it.

Blue Shoes
06-04-2013, 10:40 PM
I Cbf looking through the thread but I think I pointed out earlier that they were pre recorded transitions. Now I'm sure he's not stupid enough to think he was fooling anyone into believing that he was mixing them 'on the fly'.

While I don't like the idea of using that sort of edit in these comps, I would have thought that anyone with any real experience would easily spot that these were pre made and judge on the track selection rather than commend the transition.

I mean I might post a remix in my entry but I'm not expecting people to believe that I'm adding in a big drop 'on the fly'.
It's a remix. I'm surprised people would actually believe he was doing this live.

Plenty of people post mash ups here and I can usually spot something pre-made vs an acapella over an instrumental. No one seems to complain about these.

I don't think there's any foul play here. Just someone spicing up a set and a grey area in the rules. Well not even a grey area. Just a rule that maybe should have been there but it comes back on whoever started the Calling Out thread.

Again, I haven't bothered to find my earlier post but I'm pretty sure I mentioned that if I started a calling out thread, I would include a rule against pre mixed transitions or mash ups.

But this one didn't have that rule so fair play.

DJArmani
06-05-2013, 06:45 AM
@BlueShoes: same thing I said, there were no rules against it so there wasn't really any cheating. Haven't had time for battles so I'm not calling a rematch or anything as of now.

Baller95
06-05-2013, 07:57 AM
Fair enough. However, I’m not mad at the fact that you used a bootleg, what got to me to respond initially is that you would have continued to lead people on thinking they were your blends if Remax hadn’t said anything. How did I come to this conclusion? When I posted my critique and thought the second song was a Niki Minaj song, you did not hesitate to PM me directly stating that it was in fact a Missy Elliot song. This isn’t the actual problem. We went back and forth a few times and you finally said, “btw I’m mix 3” And I was like, “Oh snap! Good on the transition” ect. I even mentioned in my critique post that the shots mix (thinking that you actually did it) was genius. My thing is, you were quick to correct me on the Missy Elliot song and quick to let me know which mix was yours (while voting was still going on) but you didn’t “correct” me on the shots blend. You could have easily mentioned, “oh yeah, that blend wasn’t actually live” Some people could care less about what you used in your mix, but what I dislike is when your cover was blown you play it off like you’re not the type to give a full tracklist or it wasn’t listed in the rules when your initial intention of passing those pre-mixed songs off as your own failed. At least own up to that. :squint:
We did message yes but I don't recall you mentioning specifically about the shots transition. If you did mention it, there was no intentional purpose to not respond to your comment. I don't think any cover was blown and I wasn't playing anything off. Like I said before and as M!TCH and Blue Shoes have mentioned, I wouldn't use a song that mainly DJ's have access and hope I wouldn't get caught using it for a mix I made for a DJ forum. Also, I've never posted a tracklist anywhere, where I give the names of the remix, mash up, etc. I don't even have to put up a tracklist, I chose to just put the original song name to give people an idea of the type of music they're going to hear.

I didn't listen but thought I might opine. No one should ever comment on the mixes, even if there are questions from the voting public as to authenticity of something until voting is over. If it comes out that it wasn't fair, either a rematch or someone forfeits the win.

With regards to what tracks are used, in commercial music and the amount of mash ups people listen to nowadays people should be used to bootlegs/mashups/edits, etc. If I'm listening to a battle mix I'm not necessarily only focused on the transitions, I'm focused on a multitude of things (not to mention, I never know where the transitions are in this "genre") so unless a transition is obvious I refrain from commenting on it.
I agree with this because Commercial/Top 40 music is probably the only genre with so many variants of remixes, mash ups, etc so I think it's fair to say tracks like mine can be used unless noted not to.

I Cbf looking through the thread but I think I pointed out earlier that they were pre recorded transitions. Now I'm sure he's not stupid enough to think he was fooling anyone into believing that he was mixing them 'on the fly'.

While I don't like the idea of using that sort of edit in these comps, I would have thought that anyone with any real experience would easily spot that these were pre made and judge on the track selection rather than commend the transition.

I mean I might post a remix in my entry but I'm not expecting people to believe that I'm adding in a big drop 'on the fly'.
It's a remix. I'm surprised people would actually believe he was doing this live.

Plenty of people post mash ups here and I can usually spot something pre-made vs an acapella over an instrumental. No one seems to complain about these.

I don't think there's any foul play here. Just someone spicing up a set and a grey area in the rules. Well not even a grey area. Just a rule that maybe should have been there but it comes back on whoever started the Calling Out thread.

Again, I haven't bothered to find my earlier post but I'm pretty sure I mentioned that if I started a calling out thread, I would include a rule against pre mixed transitions or mash ups.

But this one didn't have that rule so fair play.

Yeah, this is really what it's about. I don't think I did anything wrong and try to hide and cover it up the fact afterwards.

Anyways, I'm sorry if I've mislead anyone, like I said before they weren't my intentions. I can gurantee you that after the voting if you had asked me how I did them I would have told you that they were transition tracks I've got from DJ City. IIRC a few battles ago someone PM'd me asking about a track I used in my mix and I gave them the link to where I got it. If I've upset you Armani or Marco Bass I apologize but yes I was still playing within the rules but if ever you want a rematch, I'll be glad to.

DJArmani
06-05-2013, 07:40 PM
@baller95 It's no big deal, like I said there was no rule to clarify that!

Baller95
06-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Yeah man for sure!

DJ Remax
06-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Baller 1V1 battle? pick the genre House, techno, top 40, pre-made dj city mash ups?

Defiance
06-06-2013, 02:43 PM
I want in on a battle as well

Baller95
06-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Baller 1V1 battle? pick the genre House, techno, top 40, pre-made dj city mash ups?

Yeah let's go, I'll actually find a good mix from the submissions thread and use that instead :tup: