PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Bar (or Club) DJs

Windows 95
02-27-2012, 11:33 AM
I'm thinking of storing my records at work.
A. It would give me a lot more room at home.
B. I don't have to worry as much about it getting stolen since I don't have renter's insurance. (Plus I'm thinking it's probably a lot less likely to get stolen from the bar than from my house.)

Anyone else keep their record collection at work?
Good idea, bad idea?

Signal Lost
02-27-2012, 11:37 AM
I don't.

And I wouldn't, especially if it's a vinyl collection.

The reason is because you have invested in this collection. It must have a huge sentimental value also. If you leave it at work, you need to store it somewhere locked, and only you should have the key.

Imagine if an employee stole some vinyls? Or if someone spills their drink (might not happen depending on where / how they are stored though) on it?

In otherwords, unless my collection would be stored in a safe, locked place, I would keep everything at home. Too many risks of getting it stealed or damaged.

Windows 95
02-27-2012, 11:49 AM
unless my collection would be stored in a safe, locked place, I would keep everything at home.I was planing on just putting my bookshelves on the back wall behind the DJ booth.

purex like soap
02-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Bad idea

I keep my vinyl in its own room at my house. I couldnt possibly imagine leaving it anywhere away from me where i wouldnt have access to check on it. I like to on occassion dig through my crates and play some of the rare and obscure forgotten gems.

Signal Lost
02-27-2012, 11:53 AM
I was planing on just putting my bookshelves on the back wall behind the DJ booth.
Hmm.

Take care then :P If you trust the owner and employees, then I guess you could. But it's at your own risk.

Depends on how you use your collection too. If you never listen to records at home, it could be a reason to move it somewhere else.

Windows 95
02-27-2012, 12:03 PM
I keep my vinyl in its own room at my house. I couldnt possibly imagine leaving it anywhere away from me where i wouldnt have access to check on it. I like to on occassion dig through my crates and play some of the rare and obscure forgotten gems.At one time I had a lot of LPs, but they got destroyed (Water damage & mold.) when my brother borrowed them. Now my record collection is pretty small, I only have about 2,400 records.

Windows 95
02-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Depends on how you use your collection too. If you never listen to records at home, it could be a reason to move it somewhere else.At home I only use scratch records (Superseal, Jugglin' Jawz, etc.) & MP3s.

Mahatma Coat
02-27-2012, 12:56 PM
The record collections kept behind the bars and clubs I've played in don't look like they've seen a lot of love from whoever has been using them/spilling beer on them/ generally chucking them about.

Windows 95
02-27-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm the bar's only DJ. When I'm not at work, the jukebox is plugged in.
But you guys are making me think maybe it's not as good of an idea as I thought. :shrug:

VjQue
02-27-2012, 01:06 PM
If someone at the bar know that they can get money from them records they will be gone faster than you know.

All they have to say is DJ Windows told me to pick up the vinyl and thats it. there gone to a record shop that buys records.