PDA

View Full Version : Rep etiquette

djeternal
05-08-2013, 07:26 AM
When someone gives you positive rep should you be able to say thanks? Sometimes it's not clear who gave you the rep. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

KLH
05-08-2013, 07:38 AM
If you'd like to see who gave you rep (positive or negative), you need a VIP account... which requires a donation to DJF.

As for etiquette, most typically rep the person who gave the rep initially and say "thanks".

-KLH

Dix
05-08-2013, 07:59 AM
If you'd like to see who gave you rep (positive or negative), you need a VIP account... which requires a donation to DJF.

As for etiquette, most typically rep the person who gave the rep initially and say "thanks".

-KLH

This.

To donate to DJF on a monthly, 6 month or yearly membership basis, you can go here: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

DTR
05-08-2013, 08:01 AM
I always sign my rep " - dave". It's only fair that the recipient knows who left it.

Having said that, with my current username "dave" isn't as obvious as it used to be :lol:

ewe
05-08-2013, 08:49 AM
I rarely put a name at the end of reps, it's better as a mystery imo

djeternal
05-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Okay thanks for the replies. Is there a limit to the number of reps you can give?

Dix
05-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Okay thanks for the replies. Is there a limit to the number of reps you can give?

I believe the number of rep is limited to 10 per day.

Synaxis
05-08-2013, 10:59 AM

Yes. I'm not sure what Stripe has it set at(I believe it is 10?), but you can only give out a certain amount of reputation per day (To prevent abuse of the system). Additionally, you cannot +Rep the same post more than once, and there is a "cooldown" period before you can +Rep the same member again.

For example, I just +repped you. When I try to +Rep you again, I get a message stating "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to djeternal again."

allensmusic
05-08-2013, 11:11 AM
I usually sign the +rep with "- Allen"
I occasionally get it returned. I dont care if it gets returned.

I never sign -rep. let them figure it out.

KLH
05-08-2013, 12:03 PM
[Mod Note: This thread has been stuck. -KLH]

alexreedDJ
05-08-2013, 12:24 PM
I think there may also be a limit on how much rep you can receive in one day, because i've had people tell me mine isn't working.

For some reason when a couple of people tried to give me rep today, they pressed "add to reputation" balloons popped up onto their screen but then nothing happened in terms of reputation.

It's pretty cool... try it :D

djeternal
05-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Okay thanks again. Looks like a good amount of thought went into the rep system. Another reason I like DJF.

allensmusic
05-08-2013, 02:14 PM
I think there may also be a limit on how much rep you can receive in one day, because i've had people tell me mine isn't working.

For some reason when a couple of people tried to give me rep today, they pressed "add to reputation" balloons popped up onto their screen but then nothing happened in terms of reputation.

It's pretty cool... try it :D

I didnt want you to miss out on all the nice rep comments, so I gave you some neg rep to make room for more :eek3dance:

DennisBdrmDJ 2.0
05-08-2013, 02:17 PM
^No ,you didn't.:lol:

alexreedDJ
05-08-2013, 02:20 PM
I didnt want you to miss out on all the nice rep comments, so I gave you some neg rep to make room for more :eek3dance:

^No, you didn't.:lol:

Shhh... don't make him actually do it ;)

Baller95
05-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Shhh... don't make him actually do it ;)

lol :lol:

thehadgi
05-08-2013, 03:15 PM
[Mod Note: This thread has been stuck. -KLH]

http://www.dvdlink.ca/images/Movies%20Covers/1873/9/1214353021_1214462450.jpg

Sigma
05-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Okay thanks again. Looks like a good amount of thought went into the rep system. Another reason I like DJF.
I don't like the rep system here.

I don't think negative rep achieves anything other than causing friction between people. It would be better to just have a "like" button you can click if you think a post is good/helpful/funny.

I think you have to spread too much rep around before you can rep the same people twice.

I think hiding who left rep unless you pay is pretty snidey, plus it increases the number of people who leave anonymous neg rep.

I think the levels to hit each star rating are too low.

I think the "rep boosting" thread in VIP makes the concept of rep even more worthless and not only that, it's kinda pushed as a reason to pay for VIP.

djeternal
05-08-2013, 04:07 PM
I don't like the rep system here.

I don't think negative rep achieves anything other than causing friction between people. It would be better to just have a "like" button you can click if you think a post is good/helpful/funny.

I think you have to spread too much rep around before you can rep the same people twice.

I think hiding who left rep unless you pay is pretty snidey, plus it increases the number of people who leave anonymous neg rep.

I think the levels to hit each star rating are too low.

I think the "rep boosting" thread in VIP makes the concept of rep even more worthless and not only that, it's kinda pushed as a reason to pay for VIP.
I think they thought of most if not all of the points you mentioned. For better a worse I still think a lot of thought went into it :)

thehadgi
05-08-2013, 04:14 PM
I don't really ever neg rep people. If I decide to deride someone I'd rather have a public showing of the verbal flogging I'm handing out so everyone can see it

:lol:

DennisBdrmDJ 2.0
05-08-2013, 04:49 PM
I don't really ever neg rep people. If I decide to deride someone I'd rather have a public showing of the verbal flogging I'm handing out so everyone can see it

:lol:This!....I have only ever giving out 1 neg rep....I sign every rep.........I love the rep party in VIP......I love the power (my reps are worth 75 point,what's your worth?)...spreading the joy!....rep bomb, for all! :zany: Join VIP! it's for a good cause,and we show tits!(shameless plug).

allensmusic
05-08-2013, 05:18 PM
I have never really cared about rep. I joined VIP in djf 1.0 after I got my maximum stars, and it seemed that the only conversation in vip was about giving rep. since I dont care about rep, I dont see the point in VIP.

DennisBdrmDJ 2.0
05-08-2013, 05:26 PM
^reps,and VIP,doesn't mean a f*cking thing.....buying VIP,helps support DJF,with it's overhead.....what's so hard to understand?.~You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to allensmusic again.

Baller95
05-08-2013, 05:35 PM
I always said I'm going to join VIP when I'm at a 1000 posts, I'm almost there! :D

allensmusic
05-08-2013, 05:36 PM
I didnt say I didnt understand anything... and I have to spread rep around more as well.

thehadgi
05-08-2013, 06:55 PM
since I dont care about rep, I dont see the point in VIP.

You get a blue handle. = moar 'spect = moar honiez = all ur dreamz come tru

djeternal
05-08-2013, 07:02 PM

:) Good one. I agree.

allensmusic
05-08-2013, 07:18 PM
You get a blue handle. = moar 'spect = moar honiez = all ur dreamz come tru

:love:

allensmusic
05-08-2013, 07:21 PM
I always said I'm going to join VIP when I'm at a 1000 posts, I'm almost there! :D

on djf 1.0 I decided that when I had maximum stars I would join VIP. I joined for the first time about one year after I started, and found out it was mostly about rep.

I am not saying I am against supporting DJF, I just do not think the VIP forum was as much fun as I thought it would be.

Baller95
05-08-2013, 07:54 PM
on djf 1.0 I decided that when I had maximum stars I would join VIP. I joined for the first time about one year after I started, and found out it was mostly about rep.

I am not saying I am against supporting DJF, I just do not think the VIP forum was as much fun as I thought it would be.

Yeah I see what you mean, just wanna checkout what's good there and also to support the forum because the only other major forum for DJ's is DJTT and I'd much rather be here than there!

Dix
05-08-2013, 08:01 PM
DJF has been good to me & has really improved my business.. I don't think $3.95 per month is too much to ask.... Personally, I'm happy to give that to have a place to hang out.

DennisBdrmDJ 2.0
05-08-2013, 08:29 PM
I always said I'm going to join VIP when I'm at a 1000 posts, I'm almost there! :Dhurry up there,this isn't "Mission Impossble",Mr.Hunt.:lol:(inside joke)

Baller95
05-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Lol I'm gettin there! :lol:

ewe
05-08-2013, 11:11 PM

Yeah this annoys me a bit.

And regarding VIP, have you seen other forums that don't have a VIP type section and are riddled with ads? It's a nightmare

Baller95
05-08-2013, 11:20 PM
Yeah this annoys me a bit.

And regarding VIP, have you seen other forums that don't have a VIP type section and are riddled with ads? It's a nightmare

This site does real well with ads even for non VIP's!

ewe
05-09-2013, 12:32 AM
:lol: I had never noticed the ad at the bottom before

Baller95
05-12-2013, 01:19 PM
hurry up there,this isn't "Mission Impossble",Mr.Hunt.:lol:(inside joke)

Lol I'm gettin there! :lol:

Done! :D

DennisBdrmDJ 2.0
05-12-2013, 02:43 PM
^my Man!:tup:

den1213
10-01-2013, 08:08 PM
How do you rep a person?

Dix
10-02-2013, 07:42 AM
Click the star at the bottom of my profile on the left.

<---

Baller95
10-02-2013, 09:35 PM
How do you rep a person?

Click here (http://www.djforums.com/forums/reputation.php?do=addreputation&p=307514) then click the "Add to Reputation" button :tup:

Hygro
10-03-2013, 01:16 AM
It's cool you wanna thank people. No stress, just stick around and rep people back when they post helpful things or fun things or whatever you value on DJF and eventually it works itself out and the thanks take care of themselves :)

allensmusic
10-03-2013, 02:17 AM
Click here (http://www.djforums.com/forums/reputation.php?do=addreputation&p=307514) select "I disapprove" then click the "Add to Reputation" button :tup:

fixed

Mjay
03-31-2014, 12:39 PM
One question, how many rep points do you need to get two or more stars?

Sigma
03-31-2014, 01:31 PM
Not many, considering I just bumped you up to 2 stars. :D

Mjay
03-31-2014, 03:22 PM
Wow that's great that means I'm less of a noob, yeah! Keep bumping me with rep and I won't need to practice to get better =D :dance:

allensmusic
03-31-2014, 03:27 PM
Wow that's great that means I'm less of a noob, yeah! Keep bumping me with rep and I won't need to practice to get better =D :dance:

oh you can have lotsa stars and still be a noob

allensmusic
03-31-2014, 03:28 PM
One question, how many rep points do you need to get two or more stars?
I just gave you a third star...

Mjay
03-31-2014, 03:32 PM
Hahaha now you MUST respect me for my talent, three stars in six days, not bad, not bad haha, now I have to live up to my reputation and upload amazing mixes. (;

fueledbymusic
03-31-2014, 04:06 PM
It's actually uncommon for me to get negs. But it's usually easy for me to know who negged me. (I know who they are):D

fueledbymusic
03-31-2014, 04:07 PM
One question, how many rep points do you need to get two or more stars? I think it's 200 points. Maybe 100 points per star??

Mjay
03-31-2014, 05:45 PM
I think it's 200 points. Maybe 100 points per star??

Thanks, if someone else can confirm this I would be grateful (;

Dix
03-31-2014, 07:24 PM
Yep, generally speaking, its 100 points per star. 200 points to get a circle star. However, there are other variables, so its not always correct.
And to answer your next question. Five starts & six circle stars is the max. You can continue to build points but not stars.

Tkevik
03-31-2014, 11:39 PM
Spread some rep around... apparently I have to spread more before I can hit some of y'all again;)

Sigma
04-01-2014, 02:03 AM
The amount of rep you need per star is WAY too low IMO. A couple of people can rep a n00b and they go from 1 star to 3 or 4 straight away. It should be 1,000 points per star, not 100.

Mjay
04-01-2014, 08:48 AM
I think it should be different for every star. Because I consider myself level 2 or 3 out of 11 in dj skills. I have still lot's to learn but I can still mix. A level I is like the noob of noobs that doesn't understand the basics. I would make the first stars easy to reach but the stars in the circle should be when you are becoming an "expert" at djing and should be harder to get.

Or maybe changing the whole system, I understand by the stars your level in djing and not only being nice and spreading rep, there should be like an evaluation to give a star to someone at least the last 6 stars. This can be done with mixes or tracks, maybe some other stuff. I get that it's a hastle to evaluate everyone but every day I can see who is interested in actually learning and improving and those are the ones that look out for help, like myself. I know I'm new and all but I think that some things can be changed for the benefit of all.

Sigma
04-01-2014, 09:00 AM
The rep stars haven't got anything to do with how good a DJ you are. There are people on here with a bunch of stars who haven't bought their first piece of DJ gear yet, lol.

Your rep goes up when someone likes your post enough to give it a +1, so it's not a reflection of anything more than someone liking your posts - which may not even be about DJing at all a lot of the time.

Mjay
04-01-2014, 11:56 AM
I know what it means, what I'm saying is that the impression it gave me when I first got here was that it represented your djing level and I think that it would be a great tool for that, maybe not the stars but something else. It would help newbies like me see our progress and desire to reach the top.

allensmusic
04-01-2014, 01:16 PM
I know what it means, what I'm saying is that the impression it gave me when I first got here was that it represented your djing level and I think that it would be a great tool for that, maybe not the stars but something else. It would help newbies like me see our progress and desire to reach the top.

what it represents is that you have told funny jokes, and that you have not offended very many people with a lot of rep power.
it has absolutely nothing to do with DJ'ing whatsoever.

Mjay
04-01-2014, 01:27 PM
Again, I understand what it means, but I see better uses to it. A member should have good rep for his skills not his speaking capabilities as a Dj forum as this is. This is my opinion

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

allensmusic
04-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Again, I understand what it means, but I see better uses to it. A member should have good rep for his skills not his speaking capabilities as a Dj forum as this is. This is my opinion

its a forum, how can anyone know our crowd reading abilities? unless we posts long youtube videos of events how could we judge each others abilities?

Mjay
04-01-2014, 02:43 PM
its a forum, how can anyone know our crowd reading abilities? unless we posts long youtube videos of events how could we judge each others abilities?

What I had in mind is kind of a mix submission, where the person specifically requests the star, then the community or some selected dj's that have already the experience tu judge the ability of others can decide or vote if he or she deserves it. Not everyone can do this, only people that have participated in some way in the forum, this can be spotted by the messages written.

allensmusic
04-01-2014, 02:55 PM
What I had in mind is kind of a mix submission, where the person specifically requests the star, then the community or some selected dj's that have already the experience tu judge the ability of others can decide or vote if he or she deserves it. Not everyone can do this, only people that have participated in some way in the forum, this can be spotted by the messages written.

ok, I could sit down with a video editing software and use it to make an absolute sick ass mix but it wouldnt mean I am a DJ at all.

the only way a mix means anything to me at all is if the mix is a live video showing both the person making the mix, and showing the mix is being made "on the fly".
it is way to easy to fake a mix or spend weeks making a mix in a non-DJ software.

Mjay
04-01-2014, 03:15 PM
Ok, the live mix could be an option. But really who would fake a mix to get stars? If I'm here in the first place is to learn and improve not to waste my time faking mixes. These details can be discussed but I think the idea isn't bad.

allensmusic
04-01-2014, 03:20 PM
But really who would fake a mix to get stars?

anyone that cares about stars.

anyone that truly cares about the quality of the mix doesnt care about the stars.
people that care about the stars would likely do anything to get them (see VIP for proof)
while good DJ can certainly post a good mix, posting a good mix most certainly does not make anyone a good DJ

allensmusic
04-01-2014, 03:27 PM
Ok, the live mix could be an option. But really who would fake a mix to get stars? If I'm here in the first place is to learn and improve not to waste my time faking mixes. These details can be discussed but I think the idea isn't bad.

another thing to keep in mind, there isnt any real rules for mixes posted online. you have no way of knowing if it was made in a few minutes, a few hours, or weeks. was each song researched for compatability, or did each song get picked while the previos song was playing? can or will the DJ change the set based on crowd reaction? I feel this is one of the most important parts of DJ'ing. but if the mix is all preplanned then making changes are not an option.

Mjay
04-01-2014, 04:05 PM
another thing to keep in mind, there isnt any real rules for mixes posted online. you have no way of knowing if it was made in a few minutes, a few hours, or weeks. was each song researched for compatability, or did each song get picked while the previos song was playing? can or will the DJ change the set based on crowd reaction? I feel this is one of the most important parts of DJ'ing. but if the mix is all preplanned then making changes are not an option.

I think that the stars should have a better use than they have now, if you don't think so then I don't see the point in discussing about it. I put the idea out there, if people see the advantage it can bring then we see what we can do about it. It should have to do with dejaying skills and not chatting skills IMO.

allensmusic
04-01-2014, 04:14 PM
I think that the stars should have a better use than they have now, if you don't think so then I don't see the point in discussing about it. I put the idea out there, if people see the advantage it can bring then we see what we can do about it. It should have to do with dejaying skills and not chatting skills IMO.
the stars are just a cutesy thing that is part of the chat forum format. they currently serve no purpose at all, and I personally do not see a valid way to make them useful to show DJ skills.
this is, after all, just a chat forum and not a nightclub.

Dix
04-01-2014, 06:26 PM
The original intent for the rep system here was for people to give rep for people on this site who help others. It can be in the form of technical knowledge in voltage for example. It could be good solid information on speakers. It could be good solid info/advice/knowledge on mobile or club gigs for example. As well, it can be giving/sharing knowledge on good DJing skills etc.

The REP system was designed & was intended ... & is still, intended to support those who assist & give good valuable information or insight to those who come here seeking that information.

It is not & should not be based on how good of a DJ you are (although that is generally a good thing to have). There are many people here who have no DJ gear &/or do not DJ at all, at anytime who are very capable of providing excellent, quality information whether it be technical or otherwise. The first person that comes to my mind in this specific scenario is BillESC. As well, there are people here who have excellent DJing skills but have no advice to give, or simply do not care to help.... here only to criticize others or newbs & keep stink stirred. IMHO, whether or not you're a good DJ should not be the source of the REP system, although it should be (and is) acceptable to give REP for someones DJ skills.

diceallion
05-12-2014, 08:16 PM
I know what it means, what I'm saying is that the impression it gave me when I first got here was that it represented your djing level.

I must have been such a disappointment for you... :lol::lol::lol:

Baller95
05-12-2014, 08:36 PM

Mjay
05-12-2014, 10:08 PM

Hahaha at first I thought you were an experienced DJ until I read that you got your controller recently then I started asking questions hahaha those stars are the most confusing part of the forum

Xujih
12-10-2014, 05:26 PM
How can I see my total rep?

Dix
12-10-2014, 06:31 PM
Look in the top right corner of your page. Right beside "My Profile" you will see "Settings". Click settings. That will show you your total rep... well actually like the last 10 rep that you have received & what you have given.

Xujih
12-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Look in the top right corner of your page. Right beside "My Profile" you will see "Settings". Click settings. That will show you your total rep... well actually like the last 10 rep that you have received & what you have given.

Thanks dude, I'm looking there but I can't see any rep section at all? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume that nothing even shows up unless you have some rep?

DTR
12-11-2014, 02:32 AM
Thanks dude, I'm looking there but I can't see any rep section at all? I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume that nothing even shows up unless you have some rep?

You should have some rep now!

Xujih
12-11-2014, 04:46 PM
There we go! Thanks guys :)