PDA

View Full Version : AKG K167 Heaphones broke after 2 months, Need Headphone advice

ClrCreekRdr
05-07-2013, 07:29 PM
I really loved my AKG K167's (Tiesto headphones) before they broke today. They are light, over the ear, comfy, sound excellent, and have a coiled cable. I am frustrated after spending $180 on these in February that these broke. They broke just putting them on normally.

Any help and advice would be great. Here is what I am looking for:

Under $250.
Over the ear.
Very strong and durable.
Sound great and let me monitor well for mixing, eq, etc. I mix with both sides (L/R) on my ears.
Not too heavy, but I am not worried about a little weight.
Have a coiled cable.

The "V-Moda Crossfade LP2" looked great, and then I learned of no coiled cable. Also, I hear they have low volume. This worries me as I have felt like my current headphones connected to my Traktor Kontrol S4 could be louder.

I also looked at the AIAIAI TMA-1 headphones, but it seems these are not over the ear.

I also looked at the Pioneer HDJ 2000's. Pricy, and I am worried they will break.

Thoughts?

Jason Cerna
05-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Have you contacted AKG about it?

akswun
05-08-2013, 01:18 PM
I suggest the TMA1s. They're on ear but if you spend a little more money you can get the Studio versions which have larger over ear cups.
But I've heard of a few people snapping the TMA headband but very rare. And as JC said, that shit should be on warranty or something, 2months of regular use is BS especially if you spend over $100 on them. HDJ2k are known to break as well regardless of the reinforced articulation areas.

Jason Cerna
05-08-2013, 11:19 PM
The TMA-1 headband snapping issue has been addressed by AIAIAI, mine broke a month or so ago[after a year of use] and they just sent me a new pair of headphones.

Phil Noize
05-09-2013, 04:47 AM
As Jason said, contacting AKG should be the first thing you do. Their phones are usually very good, and the standard warranty should cover replacement.