PDA

View Full Version : Using Loops

MR MIZUN0
05-07-2013, 01:43 AM
Recently, I have been trying to halve loops to create a build-up into a breakdown, but am unable to make it "smooth." I usually have an 8 bar loop to a 4, to 2 to 1 to 1/2....but can't get it to sound smooth when I try to drop in a breakdown of another song. Any tips and comments are appreciated.

alexreedDJ
05-07-2013, 10:55 AM
So, i take it you have the other track on the other deck right? When you want to move to that track i would use the crossfader, much quicker than upfaders.

Also, when you halve the loop make sure you do it at regular intervals. E.g every 4 beats or every 8 beats. This helps a lot with making it smoother and more natural.

Other than that, just keep practicing until you get it perfect. That's the key :D

JackStalk
05-07-2013, 12:20 PM
I would semi-gradually drop the volume on the looped clip while bringing up the volume on the second deck into the breakdown, to create a sort of "wash" sound that is present in most tracks today. The crossfader is probably the easiest way to do this, but you have a lot more control over the volume of each track by using both upfaders and can make it sound much cleaner.

contra
05-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Here's my question, what are you using to trigger the loops? I've tried this exact thing with the loop knobs on my X1/S4, and they work flawlessly. What kind of controller are you using or are you using CDJ's? If you're using a mouse, it could just be your timing or maybe there's a delay between when you push the button and when the software reacts.

Mrspyaman
05-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Timing, is the most important part but I never really viewed this as a smooth transition tool. It kinda builds a peak that the next song has to run with or it sounds dead which isn't always bad but not smooth.

MR MIZUN0
05-07-2013, 09:33 PM
I am using a pioneer ddi-ergo and serato. For some reason I just cant get it to sound "smooth." I remember hearing one of Laidback Luke's set and it just sounded so flawless, not matter how many times I try....nothing even comes close to resembling what he did.

Azaex
05-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Are you halving the loop too early? If you're in a 1/4 loop for instance, going 1_2_3_4_1_2_3_4_, you need to hit the half button after the 4th beat, for example, not in the middle of the 4th beat. Otherwise it'll chop too early, and you'll get 1_2_3_4_1_2_3412341234, when you're looking for 1_2_3_4_1_2_3_4_12341234. Not sure if that's what you're running into, haha, that's the problem that I'm actually trying to practice my way out of right now.

Baller95
05-26-2013, 06:56 PM
I am using a pioneer ddi-ergo and serato. For some reason I just cant get it to sound "smooth." I remember hearing one of Laidback Luke's set and it just sounded so flawless, not matter how many times I try....nothing even comes close to resembling what he did.

Lol but that's Laidback Luke! :P