PDA

View Full Version : Few turntable questions

electricsmooth
02-27-2012, 12:27 AM
My next Dj purchase will be a pair of technics. I am waiting for my Denon 3700s to sell before I go ahead with it. I've never used real turntables before and just had a few questions to help me decide. I'll be using only control vinyl BTW. Here are some questions/concerns:

1. Needles: they seem expensive. How often do they need to be replaced (I know this depends on the amount of use but how often do you go through them)?

2. Skipping: I have two 18" powered subs that are usually placed near my set up. I've heard some people say that turntables will skip.

These two issues may sway my decision so any input is appreciated.

drzinc
02-27-2012, 12:36 AM
Are you going to play actual vinyl or run a dvs system?

As for replacing the actual styli it depends on how heavy you track them and how rough you are at scratching.

As for skipping it can skip if subs are placed close enough to the turntables also feedback can happen if you play actual records.

Rick_N
02-27-2012, 02:04 AM
I'll be using only control vinyl BTW.

That's what you think for now, just wait till the bug bites.

As for styli it all depends but they last for awhile. But you'll begin to tell when they need to be replaced.

And yep the subs can make your needles skip, but you would have to be bumpin pretty good lo. Just try it out and then go from there. No need to worry about it now.

a-mart
02-27-2012, 03:00 AM
The bigger problem I had with my subs was that the bass would cause interference with serato's signal causing the track to skip a bit.

DTR
02-27-2012, 01:52 PM
1. Needles: they seem expensive. How often do they need to be replaced (I know this depends on the amount of use but how often do you go through them)?

As you would be using a DVS, a pair of Shure M44-7s would be ideal. They are cheap, work well with control vinyl, and they are the Challenger tank of the stylus world.

2. Skipping: I have two 18" powered subs that are usually placed near my set up. I've heard some people say that turntables will skip.

Serato has a "Relative" mode which allows for a skipping control record.

That's what you think for now, just wait till the bug bites.

It is a slippery, slippery slope...

electricsmooth
02-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Ok cool. Looks like I'm running out of excuses. That's a good thing

CharlieSpriggs
02-29-2012, 05:17 PM
I have a couple of questions to add to this if you don't mind. I have an 18 year old pair of tech 1200mk2s they seem to be working okay. But I'm not really sure if they are or not. I've been using cdjs since I started djing and finally found these pair that I bought. But are there any kind of tests I can do to see if the motor is good or anything needs to be replaces? I know if the dots flutter the motor might be bad. But they don't the only thing that really puzzles me is the starting and stopping of the platter it seems like it takes longer on one of them than the other to actually start. Isnt there like break or something I can adjust?

Thanks guy

Synergy
02-29-2012, 05:24 PM
well u can look at the pitch dots and see how those look at the specified pitches. you can place a record on the table and play it and see how it sounds.

you can adjust how hard the platter stops with the brakes. you can adjust speed too.

djpenguin
02-29-2012, 06:01 PM
I have a couple of questions to add to this if you don't mind. I have an 18 year old pair of tech 1200mk2s they seem to be working okay. But I'm not really sure if they are or not. I've been using cdjs since I started djing and finally found these pair that I bought. But are there any kind of tests I can do to see if the motor is good or anything needs to be replaces? I know if the dots flutter the motor might be bad. But they don't the only thing that really puzzles me is the starting and stopping of the platter it seems like it takes longer on one of them than the other to actually start. Isnt there like break or something I can adjust?

Thanks guy

There is a brake that you can adjust, but before you do that, I'd recommend cleaning and calibrating the decks to factory standards, as that usually fixes a lot of small problems with the 1200.

L2daGee
03-05-2012, 11:50 PM
Also perform the floating tone arm test