PDA

View Full Version : Requiring "x" amount of posts to post a mix or track submission

Baller95
05-02-2013, 09:02 PM
It seems there are lots of noobs who register, post some useless junk and never show up again and I'm not talking about the random spam adverts. Most of the time they post up one of their sh*tty mixes with just the link and a few words. This floods the submission area and drowns good mixes by contributing members. Maybe only allow submission once they have 50+ posts? Thoughts?

Boomcie
05-02-2013, 10:22 PM
That would be nice, but then they would just start posting the mixes in other sections

aaron altar
05-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Maybe set it up so they can't post any links or embed any files until after 50 posts?

alexreedDJ
05-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Seems like a good idea to me. No links until 30/50 posts should help stop spamming too :) while we're on the complaining front... how come you can only search every 30 secs? I can't really see what this stops?

Blue Shoes
05-03-2013, 10:07 AM
This might be more of a suggestion for a brand new site rather than an addition to this but I always thought a site where you had to leave some amount of feedback (approved by the person you're critiquing) before you can post a track or compete in a battle. Like you must vote 5 times on battles and leave feedback which someone would be assigned to approve and award you a 'point' before you can enter a battle yourself.

Probably more of an idea for a standalone website for just battles or critique

Blue Shoes
05-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Seems like a good idea to me. No links until 30/50 posts should help stop spamming too :) while we're on the complaining front... how come you can only search every 30 secs? I can't really see what this stops?

I've never understood that. I assumed it was something to do with putting stress on the server but my limited knowledge suggests that it wouldn't put too much pressure on the system to scan the server for a keyword so I'm not sure

Baller95
05-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Maybe set it up so they can't post any links or embed any files until after 50 posts?

Yeah I was thinking this as well.

Sigma
05-08-2013, 03:02 PM
The Mix Subs section really needs sorting out: -

1. Too many shit n00b mixes. Something has to be done to filter out the crap or to stop people who haven't contributed to the site doing a post and run.

2. No way to click on a tag/prefix and find all of the other mixes with the same tag/prefix.

3. Unless I'm missing the option, there is no way to sort by star rating to see all the 5 star mixes.

4. Star ratings do not show in search results, so even when you use search to find mixes that are of a particular genre, you can't see the star rating.

But it's pretty apparent that this site ain't gonna change. It was set up based on a design that's 8-9 years old and it seems as far as the admins are concerned, that's how it's going to stay.

Adzy
05-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Would it be possible to do it based on time as a member as well? I was hoping to post a mix soon, I frequent the site and have done for a few years but rarely have anything decent to input. May be a waste of time but just a suggestion, because I agree with the whole over saturatedness of it.

Jamie D Music
05-08-2013, 03:49 PM
I think leader board sub forums for the mix and track threads could work because members could go straight to the leader board for the current tried and tested offerings or browse the main forum.

Setting it all up with a way of evaluating mixes and tracks and ensuring fair play could be complicated but it could also involve various aspects such as marks for track selection, equipment, sound quality and all importantly there would be rules so mixes can only be considered for leaderboard status if the author doesn't oversell it all over DJF and automatic bonus points to members who listen to and evaluate a lot of mixes. Possibly making it a great solution to the current saturation issue.

I can't blame new members for posting mixes on their first visit because I did it and it took a few months before I realised that I should hang around more and contribute. It would be a shame if new members were put off by weary responses from veterans because they are new and wont understand. They are basically looking for encouragement and we should be sensitive to that. We all went though that joyful phase of discovering how fun DJing is.

Sigma
05-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Would it be possible to do it based on time as a member as well? I was hoping to post a mix soon, I frequent the site and have done for a few years but rarely have anything decent to input. May be a waste of time but just a suggestion, because I agree with the whole over saturatedness of it.
I think the best solution, maybe, is to do something to help with discovery (such as fixing the search/rating/tag issues) while also trying to get n00bs into an "I need to hone my skills first" mindset. I definitely wouldn't want to see new members penalised, or people with low post counts, because being new to the site or having 19 posts doesn't mean you're not a wicked DJ.

DJ_G3N3R4L
05-08-2013, 04:34 PM
There seems to be a lack of people commenting on the 'good' sets as well.

If people post and support the good ones, they find thier way to the top and the ratings will have more weight. I see pages and pages of 0 or 1 reply dj sets... most are just replied to by themselves.. not boosted by the community.

I think if more people were rating and commenting, the better sets would inevitably become more visible.

Thoughts?

Catch22
05-08-2013, 04:36 PM
There seems to be a lack of people commenting on the 'good' sets as well.

If people post and support the good ones, they find thier way to the top and the ratings will have more weight. I see pages and pages of 0 or 1 reply dj sets... most are just replied to by themselves.. not boosted by the community.

I think if more people were rating and commenting, the better sets would inevitably become more visible.

Thoughts?

This. People complaining about sets, probably just assuming it's shit because it's from a newbie. Even regular posters don't get much feedback/comments on mixes.

Baller95
05-08-2013, 05:39 PM
This. People complaining about sets, probably just assuming it's shit because it's from a newbie. Even regular posters don't get much feedback/comments on mixes.

I'm sure there are good mixes but the few that I have listened to posted by noobs were just utter shit so I didn't really bother listening to the other mixes by noobs.

M!TCH
05-08-2013, 06:02 PM
You need to be able to filter the mixes. Mix/track submission should only be open to those who have posted 100 or more posts. Unless it is someone's name I recognize that pops up in the What's New tab I ignore damn near every mix as there are so many that are just absolute shit. I don't mind critiquing but sometimes the beat gallops are so bad I cannot make it past 10 minutes in.

Baller95
05-08-2013, 06:11 PM
You need to be able to filter the mixes. Mix/track submission should only be open to those who have posted 100 or more posts. Unless it is someone's name I recognize that pops up in the What's New tab I ignore damn near every mix as there are so many that are just absolute shit. I don't mind critiquing but sometimes the beat gallops are so bad I cannot make it past 10 minutes in.

I think a 100 is a bit too much, 20-50 is more reasonable IMO.

DJ_G3N3R4L
05-08-2013, 06:19 PM
I see a number of "first time mixes" from people with more than 20-50 posts. I don't know if that's going to solve anything.

DJNR
05-08-2013, 06:40 PM
I think 50 posts before a mix submission is reasonable.

Sigma
05-08-2013, 06:48 PM
I really don't think a post limit is the answer.

Filtering the mixes needs to be made easier. To filter them by prefix, you have to click Search Forum - Advanced Search - select the forum section - click on a prefix, or multiple prefixes by holding down the Ctrl button when you click them - choose to show the results as threads instead of posts - then hit Search Now. The prefixes are not sorted into alphabetical order, which makes that process even longer and you have to do it every time you want to filter the mixes down, but as I mentioned before, the star rating system isn't part of advanced search, nor are the ratings shown in the search results.

I tend to go in the section, scan the first 2 or 3 pages looking for mixes that have prefixes of hip-hop, soul, funk or "other" and if I don't see anything then that's that. 90% of the mixes posted are not genres I'm interested in. In a way, it's worse if you've got fairly broad tastes in EDM as that's what 90% of the mixes are and I imagine people get tired of looking for the good stuff.

I think the issue is how people see the section, as in, their opinion of the content, and if that's the case, it will only get worse if nothing is done. It's similar to how I got tired of checking new hip-hop and not liking it, so I just gave up looking. Instead, I find new stuff cos it's recommended to me, or because someone else (maybe a blogger) whose opinion I respect has done some filtering for me. If I want to hear new mixes, I will listen to ones recommended by friends or that I find via sites like Pipomixes. There is also a handful of DJF members whose mixes I check for, but browsing random mixes is a bit of a pain these days.

DJ_G3N3R4L
05-08-2013, 06:52 PM
I agree with you in part. However, as I said, the rating system means nothing unless users are actively rating mixes, and rating them in an honest enough fashion to generate 'trustworthy' feedback.

No stars .. or 5 stars based on the rating of the submitter and maybe a friend or two. That doesn't really work. The community needs to feed into the sub forum in addition to improving the way they interact with it.

Sigma
05-08-2013, 07:02 PM
I agree with you in part. However, as I said, the rating system means nothing unless users are actively rating mixes, and rating them in an honest enough fashion to generate 'trustworthy' feedback.

No stars .. or 5 stars based on the rating of the submitter and maybe a friend or two. That doesn't really work. The community needs to feed into the sub forum in addition to improving the way they interact with it.
I agree. I don't think the submitter should be able to rate their own mix. Also, I definitely agree that people should use the star rating system more - and use it for ratings other than 5 stars.

But the question is, how do you encourage that? Why are people not using the rating system, or if they do, they pretty much only use it when they rate a mix 5 stars? Is it because they just forget it's there? But these are things the admins should be finding out about.

DJ_G3N3R4L
05-09-2013, 11:14 AM
You could give your rating level 'power'... the more you rate, the more heavy your rating is?

Something similar to rep... when sets get lots of good rep, or stars they can become more visible.. separate title color or moved into a premium set area?

Just throwing ideas into the ring.

Sigma
05-09-2013, 01:01 PM
I think those are great ideas, but it's probably hard to implement them unless there's specific add-ons for vBulletin that do exactly that.

I think a separate section for 5 star rated mixes would be great though, as long as it was made harder to get a 5 star rating so that people didn't just game the system.

DJF could do a monthly newsletter via email too. Pick a random 5 star mix of the month. Push the ratings system. That kind of thing.

Sigma
05-09-2013, 01:39 PM
I've made a thread in the Mix Subs section to try and push the ratings system.

Admins - Is there a way to block people from rating their own mixes?

Manu
05-10-2013, 05:30 AM
I coined the idea again in a recent beginners thread, considering the amount of junk posted by one-post members. I reckon you should earn your membership before being able to clog up the mix submissions forums with pointless amounts of crap that no one will look at anyway.

Waste of data on one side, waste of space for every other true member. Imagine having to dust and do the cobwebs in your attic every time you attempt to have a look. I know there is a function in Vbulletin that is specifically built for that, for purposes such as preventing unwanted scammers in for the sale sections of forums.

Adzm00
05-15-2013, 08:10 AM
Either that or have a mix forum for noobs who want feedback and a mix forum for those of us who have been at this a while and the well respected DJs who post mixes, Umek etc.

xs2man
05-15-2013, 08:49 AM
I'm not sure how many of my mixes are listened to. I try to listen to at least one mix a day, but I admit I rarely comment. I guess it's much the same for everyone, as I have noticed that I get more listens to my mixes if I post on here.

For example, recently I have entered a few mixes into the battle forums. Now these mixes I upload to mixcloud also, and post them on facebook and DJTT, but not on here until the battle is over. And even then, I often still don't post them here because it's too late, and I have newer mixes available.

Anyway, these mixes don't get as many plays as mixes that aren't battle related, and as such are posted here in the mix submissions section.

However, I VERY rarely get a comment on my mixes. Now I know I aint as good as some of the other guys on here, and don't have a following, but I do try to put up relevant info (tracklisting etc...) to make my post as good as they can be. I am not looking for in-depth analysis either (as I saw, I think it was either KLH or Sigma give to a new members first non-sync mix, it was great to see), but a little comment to say they enjoyed it, or not. Or even just rate it without comment, or comment just to say it has been rated.

More use of the rating system would be more inspiring though.

Right, off to pick a mix, listen, rate and comment...

Zafire
05-15-2013, 11:43 AM
I do listen to peoples mixes on the mix section but i very rarely post.

I agree a rep rating kinda system would be good for the mix section if possible and the newsletter idea too!

KLH
05-15-2013, 05:18 PM
There are multiple issues going on:

1. Newbie DJs looking for feedback on if they are improving (aka validation)
2. Popularity of being a DJ is still happening - so there are more newbie DJs posting
3. Newbie DJs aren't reading stickies so the same questions are being asked
4. Older members just want to be entertained, and newbie DJs are an easy target

Somewhat thinking it through maybe the answer is more complicated than just applying a post-count. I think that the issue is that there's no incentive for newbies and members to act in a mutually-beneficial manner. "Rep" isn't enough incentive to slog through multiple newbie mixes and feedback from newbies isn't really valuable to members... THAT is the problem to me.

-KLH

dlove
05-16-2013, 05:14 AM
^^ why not make it so we've got to listen and comment on 3 mixes before we're allowed to post ourselves? 3-1 ratio every time?

Adzm00
05-30-2013, 11:20 AM
Is there an issue to having a noob submission and submission for people who can actually DJ?

I am asking because I haven't a clue how easy or hard this would be to implement.

alexreedDJ
05-30-2013, 01:40 PM
Is there an issue to having a noob submission and submission for people who can actually DJ?

I am asking because I haven't a clue how easy or hard this would be to implement.

But then there would be like no feedback for the beginners because no one would want to just listen to mixes by new DJs?

DJNR
05-30-2013, 02:09 PM
But then there would be like no feedback for the beginners because no one would want to just listen to mixes by new DJs?

Nobody does that anyways. The number of submissions to the mixes section makes it near impossible to distinguish them from each other. By having a dedicated "noob" section, people who want to help beginners would have an easier time finding mixes to critique.

Sigma
05-30-2013, 08:30 PM

It's easy to set up the forum section - it just takes a few minutes to create it and set the permissions/mods - but the problem is that the only people who can actually do this stuff either don't read this section or if they do, they don't respond to it. I get the feeling that I'm just shouting out into the wilderness when I post in this section of the forum.

I don't agree with that. I've given feedback on quite a few "my first mix"-type threads. I think that there are people who like giving feedback and help to n00bs and then there are those that don't, and I don't think that would change just because the mixes were separated.

I think it may even benefit both groups, because there is some sentiment amongst the more long standing members that the current Mix Subs section is becoming a bit of a dumping ground for n00b mixes which makes it harder to find the good stuff and, in turn, that drives the number of views down overall. Some members have even said that they just don't post their mixes up any more because it's not worth it and that only makes things worse - we need more quality mixes, not fewer.

There's numerous issues that need sorting out, but unless someone has the time and/or inclination to look at this stuff, all of these Site Discussion posts are a waste of time.

M!TCH
07-23-2013, 02:15 PM
Any update on this? Getting real sick of people who have zero posts spamming the shit out of their tracks or their label's tracks throughout the forum and people with 3 posts posting mixes in the wrong section.

Sigma
07-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Nobody here gives a shit about any of these issues apart from other regular members.

Baller95
07-23-2013, 07:50 PM
Oh I forgot there even was a site discussion section :facepalm:

Tommy D
07-24-2013, 08:44 AM
Oh I forgot there even was a site discussion section :facepalm:

Maybe the section should be removed as nothing ever gets actioned from here. Who can we speak to about getting that done? :teef:

Christian_A_LF
09-25-2013, 07:33 PM
@Adzm00 As @Sigma said it literally takes about 5 minutes and shouldn't take no more to implement this into the forum.

@DJNR I really like that suggestion it is so easy to implement and it will be great for the forum we could have a Section for Beginners which would require 0-50 , Intermediate which is from 50-100 and experts which would be from 100+ these numbers are just random but if there was such a thing we shouldn't allow Beginners to post in a higher level section but if you are in the intermediate category you could post in the beginners also and for Experts in Intermediate and Beginners. Such a thing as this would encourage beginners to help each other out and list out the obvious and if higher level people would want to do so also they could jump in. Something like this would really improve the quality of the forum.

I have thought as there may be professional Dj's out there that would have just registered and we could give them the chance to submit their mix to Moderators and if they think it is professional enough it can skip the requirements.

Era 7
09-26-2013, 02:26 AM
so since the issue has recently come up again: is there an admin around?

Baller95
09-26-2013, 07:08 AM
so since the issue has recently come up again: is there an admin around?

Of course!

Fultron
09-27-2013, 02:21 PM
so since the issue has recently come up again: is there an admin around that will do something?

Fixed

M!TCH
01-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Oh man, just went through ten pages of the mix submission forums to find some trance mixes to listen to. Almost without exception, every trance mix was posted by someone with 1-5 posts who contributes nothing to the forum. I saw one user with 91 posts and thought hey, let me check out his mix. I then realized it is Robbie4Ever who only posts in the mix submission forum to post his mixes. :facepalm: I really hope there is some talk going on about making it 50 post counts or more.

Badger
01-12-2014, 09:42 PM
Oh man, just went through ten pages of the mix submission forums to find some trance mixes to listen to. Almost without exception, every trance mix was posted by someone with 1-5 posts who contributes nothing to the forum. I saw one user with 91 posts and thought hey, let me check out his mix. I then realized it is Robbie4Ever who only posts in the mix submission forum to post his mixes. :facepalm: I really hope there is some talk going on about making it 50 post counts or more.

That would be awesome. I get so tired of posting mixes only to have them buried under an avalanche of newbie fluff within a fraction of a day.

:badger: