PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting Trance Battle - ChrisHynds vs Sedna

JonAvalon
02-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Mix 1 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/ChrisHynds-vs-Sedna-1.mp3)

Mix 2 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/ChrisHynds-vs-Sedna-2.mp3)

Rules:
30 minutes
any type of Trance

Sedna
02-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks Jon, repped!

Sedna
02-27-2012, 12:22 AM
Great mix, Chris. Toss me a tracklist when you get a chance.

ChrisHynds
02-27-2012, 12:26 AM
Thanks man, Im just on my way home, Ill check yours when I get in and flick through the tracklist :)

and thank Jon +rep

ChrisHynds
02-27-2012, 01:43 AM
Solid set man :) I reckon its gonna be tight, as usual!

Eddie
02-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Mix two for sure :) Track list?

ChrisHynds
02-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Thanks for voting mate, +rep,

EuroRSN
02-28-2012, 01:57 AM
Great Job to the both of you but Mix2 is more me :)

mix4fix
02-28-2012, 07:09 AM
Hard to decide but I chose mix #2.

utrolig
02-28-2012, 08:17 AM
I have to choose mix 1, even though the tracks in mix 2 fit my personal taste a bit more. Mix 1 flowed like a set should flow, and actually took me through a "journey" (sounds so f**king cheesy :D) but I couldn't find a better word for it.
Mix 2 just sounded like "ahhh these are my favourite tracks now imma mix em together it'll be awesum xD" kind of mix. So yeah, I figure both of you are on the same level when it comes to the technical aspect, but the structuring of Mix 1 was better.

Rick_N
02-28-2012, 10:48 AM
I'll give this a listen tonight when I get off work. Haven't listened to any trance in a long time, excited!

Xzentric
02-28-2012, 01:07 PM
Just had a listen, And both mixes were really good.

1st mix was very dark, started off slow and built up the energy which can't be easy in 30 minutes. Love the inclusion of Ferry corsten - this is love at the end.

2nd mix goes full on from the start with no let up, but loving the tune selection on this one. More euphoric trance on this mix.

Both mixes were seamless and it's hard to choose...

But have to go with mix 2 for track selection.

GG both of you.

Ohmega
02-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Mix 1:
Overall music selection starting out was a bit odd to me, but after listening to mix 2 it had a similar feel so they are both equal in that respects. I wanted to hear more of a melodic build vs. starting at Dark/Psy Trance. A few of the transitions felt rushed and the decays were a bit drawn out-first mix in particular. After about the third song I was tired of hearing the same beat structure and kick sample. That hard knocking sound only goes so far. There was a tune about half way in that made me feel like the old GOA days, major props for that. That tune kicked some arse. The end took a different direction with the wind down. The set started out dark but ended with “Were all made of Love”? Great tune but I question the overall set structure and message. Good mixing, but a few things could have complimented better.

Mix 2:
I was surprised to hear a similar taste in leading off tracks. Were you trying to play harder? Well since you went in that direction I am going to hold a high standard in the enery level approach. Mixing was tight all around with some good builds and transitions at the exact right moment-nice phrase work. Around mix 4 I heard some interesting FX stacking, not sure if that was you or the track playing. Sounded like I heard a loop stacked with delay and a filter sweep at the cut point. The eq work at that point was good too with the mid sweeping out to let the new track in. Sunrise at the end was well placed and the version was a nice touch. In all I did not notice the transitions as much as mix 1 so the lead ins were well done. I still felt that the mixes were both a bit choppy in some respects with the quick 32 bar transitions versus 72-128 bars.

In conclusion I am a bit torn on this one, Mix 1 had some minor flaws in it and the set direction did not hit home. Mix 2 however had a similar feel to it so I was tired of the harder set before it even started. However Mix 2 clearly had an advantage in the phrase work and lead-ins, plus Sunrise kind of sealed the deal with such a classic tune.

My vote: Mix 2

Thanks for sharing the tunes guys!!!!

ChrisHynds
02-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks for voting guys, + Rep to every1 that has taken the time to listen.

digi16v
03-01-2012, 03:02 PM
I know nothing about trance music so I hope I dont offend anyone.
like both mixes..
mix#1 didnt know any of the tracks. well mixed.
Mix#2 didnt know any of your tracks either.
:lol:
but I like the way your set was put together little better.

gave my vote to mix#2.

good job fellas!!!:tup:

tekno_violet
03-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Great job guys!

My thoughts..

Mix 1 was executed very well and I think you accomplished exactlly what you were aiming for. Great mixing.
I felt like I just walked into a club and the DJ opening for Tiesto or some big name was playing. I like how the set was building.

Mix 2 was more of what I was looking for, in your face trance at its best. Great tunes, phrasing and buildup. I would have loved to hear that shit in a club...I wouldve peed on myself.

So I voted Mix 2.

If you guys played to the same scenario voting would be dead even.

cant wait for round 2!

ChrisHynds
03-10-2012, 12:33 AM
Am I right in saying this is officially done???

ChrisHynds
03-10-2012, 07:09 PM
For anyone thats interested I was mix No.2 - Solid set Sedna, I dont think it was as clear cut as the votes show.

Sedna
03-13-2012, 04:17 PM
For anyone thats interested I was mix No.2 - Solid set Sedna, I dont think it was as clear cut as the votes show.

Thanks dude. I don't think people around here are into the psy stuff as much as I might have liked.... next time I'll head back to the tech side =)

For those interested in my setlist-

Ace Ventura - Maximum Overdrive
Man With No Name - Floor Essence (Apogee Remix)
Timelock - Xtractor
John 00 Fleming - Fight the Darkness (Ovnimoon Remix)
John 00 Fleming - 1440 Minutes
Ferry Corsten - Made of Love