PDA

View Full Version : Easily the most MODDED DJ mixer known to man: Behringer DDM4000 - Lets discuss it.

DJ Whrr
04-30-2013, 07:48 PM
Hey folk,

New on the forums here. I own a DDM4000. In my opinion, its the most modded mixer known to us DJs. What do you guys think?

I know it has a bad rep, but I've used it and like it just as much as ANY DJM mixer. It sounds sexy!

I own CDJs, so I'm a Pioneer man at heart too! But you can't beat the DDM4000 for the price and the mods you can do to it!!!

What do ya'll think? :)

DJ Whrr

DTR
04-30-2013, 10:37 PM
But you can't beat the DDM4000 for the price and the mods you can do to it!!!

What are the mods you can do to it?

allensmusic
04-30-2013, 10:41 PM
do they mod it so much because it isnt worth a crap the way it is?

DTR
04-30-2013, 10:42 PM
...but while we're on the subject, I'd say the Urei 1620 is the most moddable mixer I can think of. I've heard of DJs swapping out various components to alter the sound. I've even heard of people installing IC sockets so they can swap out the ICs on a whim :)

KLH
05-01-2013, 06:04 AM
You can DTR it, Mod.

That was funnier before I wrote that down.

-KLH

Estacy
05-01-2013, 07:37 AM
yeah I'm wondering about the mods possible on a digital mixer too...

I'd say that indeed the old rotary mixers are without a doubt the most modded mixers, but the Vestax PMC 05s spring to mind as well

DJzrule
05-01-2013, 08:06 AM
You started a thread saying something is so moddable but haven't thought of any mods?

Adzm00
05-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Hey folk,

It sounds sexy!

But you can't beat the DDM4000 for the price
:eek:

Will MaXimal
05-01-2013, 12:30 PM

Still waiting to hear about said mods...

DJ Whrr
05-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Gosh chill out folk! Lol. I'm going through finals right now, so let me get back on this convo for tomorrow.

However, I'm specifically talking about modding the mixer to use for Serato Video.

Also, you can use it to control Serato's midi. (OK, not necessarily a MOD per se, but still not a basic functionality that most users would know about - in my opinion).

I'll get back on tomorrow and we'll discuss more. ;) Finals time, baby!

DJzrule
05-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Gosh chill out folk! Lol. I'm going through finals right now, so let me get back on this convo for tomorrow.

However, I'm specifically talking about modding the mixer to use for Serato Video.

Also, you can use it to control Serato's midi. (OK, not necessarily a MOD per se, but still not a basic functionality that most users would know about - in my opinion).

I'll get back on tomorrow and we'll discuss more. ;) Finals time, baby!

Half the reason people buy the DDM is because it was made for MIDI control in mind. That's not a mod, and its a known feature. :shrug:

Estacy
05-01-2013, 05:10 PM
Yeah, using MIDI on a DJ mixer on software that isn't necessarily for DJ's... thats not modding

mr_ragz
05-01-2013, 05:31 PM
OP has been smoking that shit.

DJ Whrr
05-03-2013, 01:18 AM
Dang, not a very welcoming forum. What's up with the culture here? Ya'll haven't even heard me speak and you're already rippin' on me. Lol I hope most of this is just joking. If not, then dang...

Anyways:

Serato Video Mod (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbuPNuSOuos)

SSL3 Inside the DDM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p77UoLqeNOo)

Innofader in the DDM (not necessarily a "hardware mod" but still a sick add-on!) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qms8Hbco3wY)

And of course using the mixer to control Serato/Traktor - something that I have found many people don't know how to do. I see what you saying DJzrule
, but at the same time a lot of people don't know about this stuff lol.

I think, for the price, the DDM is the best 4 channel mixer to buy. The mixer is a beast! I recommend it to people all the time. Yeah, it's made by Behringer, but who cares. It's a pretty decent product for that price! Shoot, I'll probably use it for the rest of my DJ career!

Anyways, not going to try to explain myself, was just trying to start some friendly conversation up.

Manu
05-03-2013, 06:19 AM
Yeah, it's made by Behringer, but who cares

I do, hence why I wouldn't buy one :tup:

I own a DDM4000. In my opinion, its the most modded mixer known to us DJs. What do you guys think?

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating/lebowski-opinion.jpg

DjBlanco
05-03-2013, 06:51 AM
Dang, not a very welcoming forum. What's up with the culture here? Ya'll haven't even heard me speak and you're already rippin' on me.

get used to it

also.... i still haven't seen any mods either some "cool" features that are standard on any professional mixer that wont catch fire during a gig.........gotta say the built in pyrotechnics mod is the only thing berhinger has over the competition they look swell aflame while you do a WTF JESUS POSE during your gig

KLH
05-03-2013, 07:25 AM
Dang, not a very welcoming forum. What's up with the culture here? Ya'll haven't even heard me speak and you're already rippin' on me. Lol I hope most of this is just joking. If not, then dang...
Don't take it personally, DJ Whrr. Many new members have jumped on DJF, claimed crazy crap and then disappeared.

-KLH

Adzm00
05-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Two things you should note, don't listen to Zrule (even if he is right for once) and don't recommend a behringer mixer to anyone, when it breaks they will want to punch you.

djpenguin
05-03-2013, 11:27 AM
I've even heard of people installing IC sockets so they can swap out the ICs on a whim :)

This activity is popular among a certain subset of audio folks, and not just with DJ mixers. I've seen it with headphone amplifiers, stereo amplifiers, and a couple other bits of gear too. Unfortunately, it's not a smart thing to do. Op-amps (the ICs being switched out) are supposed to be acoustically transparent, and they are when part of a properly designed circuit. Unfortunately, they also tend to have very specific design characteristics, which means that even though they may share the same package (DIP-8 being a very common one), they do not necessarily share the same electrical characteristics. Swapping an op-amp into a circuit which is not designed for it can cause all kinds of interesting issues, with simple distortion on one end of the spectrum and RF emission on the other end. Basically, any changes to the audio character from doing that are likely to be destructive, unless the change is designed by someone with engineering knowledge of audio circuitry.

Baller95
05-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Dang, not a very welcoming forum. What's up with the culture here? Ya'll haven't even heard me speak and you're already rippin' on me. Lol I hope most of this is just joking. If not, then dang...Anyways, not going to try to explain myself, was just trying to start some friendly conversation up.

Like KLH has said, don't take it personally man. Surely they're just messing around. When I first saw the title I wasn't sure what you were talking about lol. But be sure to stick around the forum though because seeing from this and other posts of yours, you do contribute to it well! :tup:

DTR
05-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Dang, not a very welcoming forum. What's up with the culture here?

Welcome to DJF :teef:

I think "modded" was a poor choice of words. If you had said "most customised DJ mixer" this thread might have gone differently. That said, two of those links you posted (SSL 3 and Innofader installs) are definately what I would call mods, and cool ones too. They can of course be done on many other mixers too...

This activity is popular among a certain subset of audio folks......

I knew you was going to say that :P

fatcatdj
05-04-2013, 04:11 AM
Although I hate Behringer products and laugh at those who think they are good, I myself own
a Behringer NOX1010 as a backup. Its built like a tank and a solid mixer. Sound-wise its not bad,
but lacks the warm sound a Rane or A&H has.

Don't knock the OP, he has never owned a mixer that cost over $500. This is all he knows. Kind of
like a film student who uses Final Cut Pro and thinks its supreme but never used Avid, Premiere Pro or
any other editing software.

Manu
05-04-2013, 05:51 AM
An interesting fix on the DDM would be addressing the mic issues. What I see here is somewhat a solution to a problem that doesn't exist., then it may be likely to cause other problems.

http://www.digitalproductionme.com/pictures/Norman%20Cook.jpeg.jpg

punky
05-05-2013, 04:02 PM
Good to see people using and enjoying the Innofader. :)

DJ Donnie Lewis
05-09-2013, 08:12 AM
I swear FatBoy Slim was in the movie Field Of Dreams