PDA

View Full Version : swaping bass lines

theritcha
04-28-2013, 06:37 AM
hi, iv always been told not to have have 2 bass lines wit egs at 12oclock in the mix,
but sometimes i mite hav both around 10 or 1 at 10 ant the other at 11, it sounds fine to me threw my speakers tho,
what way do some off yous do it cause i hate to just bass dump, its lazy and uncreative,

TheRabbitMonk
04-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Lower the fader on both of the decks then you can play both bass lines.

Dubphyte
04-28-2013, 02:18 PM
Every song is different, Something which works on two songs may not work on another two. I often have 1 of the basslines as 12 and another at roughly 10 or 11, it just works with my songs.

And also, no offence but please spend a little time with your post. That was pretty hard to read.

Adzm00
04-29-2013, 11:02 AM
And also, no offence but please spend a little time with your post. That was pretty hard to read.

READ: Unless you are 7 years old, you have no excuse for such poor English.

On a related note, it depends with the bassline, sometimes I will leave it out on the track that is being mixed in, the current track has a break, and then when the kick comes in I might drop the bass. I might have one bass at 8 o'clock and the other at 12 to get the lower frequencies of one matched with another.

It's really difficult to say as all tracks are different, depending on what you mix them with. However as a rule you don't really ever have them both set at 12.

theritcha
04-30-2013, 12:39 PM
im nearly 7 :) thats what years of texting have done to me
i would have thought that it depends on your speakers aswell,i have djm 350 and can record straight from the mixer, i do always wonder that the sound from my mixer does not sound the same as what coming from the speakers,
also im fairly brutal at tryin to explain things :) if the dj is playin away in the dj booth and has his monitor or monitors, is what he hears from his monitors the same as what the crowd hears, i wouldnt imaging so, what if the monitors are lame and sound alot more flat,how does the dj do his job?
please tell me i make a bit of sense and that my spelling has improved :)

JackStalk
04-30-2013, 01:03 PM
The RCA outputs on the mixer produce a (very) slightly different quality than recording digitally from the outputs. My songs always sound much better quality before I run them through the RCas to my sound card and then to Audacity (which ruins the quality even more). What the DJ hears through the booth monitors isn't always the same EXACT sound that the crowd is hearing, it depends on the individual venue and the monitors they are using and how many different pieces of equipment everything is run through. Ive been in a booth that had a little behringer powered speaker as the monitor and it was basically trash. I used it as a volume sensor, so I could tell how loud the music was on the floor by how loud the booth monitor was getting. That's about all that monitor was good for.

de.j.l
06-06-2013, 07:40 AM
the primary reason for not having your basslines both @ 12 is you do not want them to phase. Phasing is when you have two frequencies running at the same level and they mash against eachother which is a no no.

Your level meters & gain play a big part in this because the same thing applies.

These general rules apply to your highs mids and lows , to avoid a clash don't run your two tracks that are mixing together at 12 o'clock. Use a variety and level your tracks out.

I personally level my mixer and jump my track ahead to the drop then bring my gain up so my meter is hitting its first yellow from the green and then cue it in whilst adjusting my high mid and low to flow well into the track that is already playing.

With practice you will find that this all comes a little more natural and without hestitation.

I hope this was all clear enough for you to fully understand.

jamesmington
06-11-2013, 11:52 AM
im nearly 7 :) thats what years of texting have done to me
i would have thought that it depends on your speakers aswell,i have djm 350 and can record straight from the mixer, i do always wonder that the sound from my mixer does not sound the same as what coming from the speakers,
also im fairly brutal at tryin to explain things :) if the dj is playin away in the dj booth and has his monitor or monitors, is what he hears from his monitors the same as what the crowd hears, i wouldnt imaging so, what if the monitors are lame and sound alot more flat,how does the dj do his job?
please tell me i make a bit of sense and that my spelling has improved :)

your spelling has improved, but you need to use the period to mark the end of your sentence.

The DJ's monitors will produce what the crowd hears. If the monitors are "lame", the DJ will always have his headphones to use, as well. Also, some DJ's find it more beneficial to have less pronounced bass in their monitors/headphones because it would normally take away from their mixing.