PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting Eric.Brian vs BOWNSIR - Scratch Battle

JonAvalon
04-26-2013, 07:01 AM
File 1 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/bownsir-vs-eric_brian-1.mp3)

File 2 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847651/Battles/bownsir-vs-eric_brian-2.mp3)

Rules:
2-3 minutes

xs2man
04-26-2013, 07:38 AM
VERY difficult to distinguish between them.

I aint a scratcher, so I won't comment on the technical side of things.

They were both excellent, but mix 1 was more up my street. And so that's where I voted.

Good work both though. It was a tough one.

Sigma
04-26-2013, 09:27 AM
1 - I liked the bit from 26-40 seconds in with the chirps/drags. With the transforming, I could tell you were trying to get certain patterns going, but it fell off into sounding a bit random in places. Overall, it was kinda like you had 2 styles - chirps with drags and the odd flare, and transforms - and that made it a bit repetitive as the file is nearly 3 minutes long. A bit more variation of those techniques and/or throwing a couple more techniques in there would have improved it a lot IMO.

2 - I think the "cut like a guillotine" bit was the worst part, because you did some nice scratching on "cut", but you didn't really get a good flow going when breaking down the individual words, although I liked that you slowed things down a bit there and didn't just do double-time stuff all the way through. But overall, I think your cuts are a considerable step up on the cuts of file 1, and the ahhhhhhhh section alone was enough to take the win pretty easily IMO.

Vote goes to file 2.

Baller95
04-26-2013, 09:52 AM
Both were great! Mix 1 was good but a bit off time at times and had fewer scratching techniques than Mix 2 did. Nice intro and scratching technique for Mix 2 and it was on time so Mix 2 it is.

DJArmani
04-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Mix1: The instrumental was a little too loud compared to scratching which kinda sucked. But great variation just a little off in a few places overall pretty good.

Mix2: definetly had better cuts like Sigma said, & I liked the patterns, it was more on time than File 1 & I liked the words (idk that's just me)

TheRabbitMonk
04-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Mix 1 scratching was nice but limited in variety. throw a drag or tear in here and there into you combo's and you will see a mark improvement .

Mix 2 better scratching more variety.

I vote mix 2. good battle all the same.

BOWNSIR
04-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Some good insight. Thanks for the votes thus far. I have repped, all except the "must spread more rep to. . ." people :(.

scottie the goonie
04-28-2013, 11:11 PM
Very proud to see the occasional scratch battle here on DJF :)

Nice files fellas.

Hightopfade
04-29-2013, 12:10 AM
VERY difficult to distinguish between them.

I aint a scratcher, so I won't comment on the technical side of things.

They were both excellent, but mix 1 was more up my street. And so that's where I voted.

Good work both though. It was a tough one.

Exactly what I'm thinking. Something catchy about mix 1.

neks
05-03-2013, 09:36 AM
voted for #2, Sigma summed it up perfectly

funkyfresh
05-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Yep.
#2 seems more technical. Timing needs to be cleaned up a bit though.
#1 seems better suited for top40 club rockin' type scratches.

my vote goes for #2. Great job on both.

DJJD
05-05-2013, 02:05 PM
2 seemed to have slightly better timing and a little more variety of scratches. Got my vote!

eric.brian
05-08-2013, 01:54 AM
Congrats Brownsir! Great display of scratching. Thanks to all who voted and left feedback. Repped!

BOWNSIR
05-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks! I also repped all who voted.

DJ Nada
05-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Awww yeah, a scratch battle! Both participants did an excellent job, and would easily stomp me in a battle. That said, I'll still toss in my two cents.

1: Could use a little more rhythm variations, and one or two additional scratch techniques. It sounds like you had more, but maybe were a little scared to use it?
2: Intro part is pretty dope. Not feeling the "cut like a guillotine" sample, it's slightly off tempo. Scratches were better, but backing track sounds slower. Because of that, I'd go with track 1. Too bad this poll is already closed...

azarraga053
05-09-2013, 09:08 AM
2 definitely had more skill, but while listening to one, I couldn't stop thinking how "clean" it was. Well done both.