PDA

View Full Version : Battle Voting Reggae club Battle: DJ- Evo vs dlove

JonAvalon
02-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Mix 1 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/dlove-vs-DJ EVO-1.mp3)

Mix 2 (http://www.djfbattles.com/battles/dlove-vs-DJ EVO-2.mp3)

Rules:
-Any format allowed
-20min 30 max
-All sub genres of reggae allowed i.e. lovers,roots, dub etc.

dlove
02-27-2012, 01:18 AM
Cheers Jon :)

dlove
02-27-2012, 01:22 AM
oh drat - some seerious competition :lol:

dlove
02-27-2012, 01:51 AM
rep & reply to everyone who votes & comments :)

monkeystyle
02-27-2012, 02:44 AM
Wtf is "reggae club"?!? You guys need to stop coming up with weird genre names you make up yourself. Before the site closed down someone was talking of "Rasta dub" or something. Unno haffi stop dat! :furious:

Will vote later btw, listening now :ninja:

dlove
02-27-2012, 02:48 AM
Wtf is "reggae club"?!? You guys need to stop coming up with weird genre names you make up yourself. Before the site closed down someone was talking of "Rasta dub" or something. Unno haffi stop dat! :furious:

Will vote later btw, listening now :ninja:

hehe - I think EVO is specifically asking for reggae that would be played at a dance. And 'rasta dub' is probably used now because some young people call dubstep 'dub'

Cheers monkeystyle :tup:

DJ- EVO
02-27-2012, 08:39 AM
Haha,.No, I didn't mean to make it look like a sub-genre but literally as, club based reggae music. So anything you ever heard in a reggae club goes.

dlove
02-28-2012, 01:29 AM
bump :D

Mr Rupee
02-28-2012, 07:49 PM
I am no reggae expert but gonna go with mix 2. kept my interest better and preferred the track selection. Loved the use of the dub track :)

dlove
02-29-2012, 01:19 AM
Thanks for listening and commenting Mr Rupee :) Much appreciated.

squirrelmaster
02-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Jeez, dlove, battling already? You wasted no time! I'll have to give these a listen...

djfaceatl
02-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Sorry but I cannot choose one over the other. 2 completely different styles of reggae. If you kept it early warm vs early warm or dub vs dub then it would make sense. However with these 2, not a fair comparison IMO

However, I do like both.... Good shyt

digi16v
02-29-2012, 03:05 PM
dlove- you wasted no time getting a battle and the post count up...
:lol:
giving a listen now.
will give my vote once done.

dlove
02-29-2012, 04:49 PM
cheers guys!

to djfaceatl - if you feel like voting, just pick the selection & style you'd prefer to hear in a club :)

DJ- EVO
03-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Thanks for listening and voting guys.

g-sep
03-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Just finished listening and voting. I know nothing of reggae, but to me, Mix 1 was more laid back, just chill out with your girl type stuff for me. Mix 2 was more along the lines of what I would want to hear in the club, get yo stuff grinded on, you know, that stuff. Both mixes were mixed well and had great flow. :tup: to the both of you.

Lionman
03-01-2012, 10:15 AM
D/L'd. Will listen & vote when I get home.

digi16v
03-01-2012, 12:24 PM
like others have mentioned this was definitely 2 different interpretations of "club" reggae.
Mix1 is the early hours of the club - like when doors open
Mix2 is a few hours later but still not peak time in the club.

going with mix1.
could have voted for mix2, I liked the effects, but they werent used right IMO.

BuddyUK
03-01-2012, 05:34 PM
be on this tomorrow :slayer:

dlove
03-02-2012, 01:32 AM
nice one, Buddy :tup:

Jimanee
03-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Tough tough call both had greatness and want tracklist of both pls pls.

Now it's tricky because both these mixes come from different school of thoughts, so I am trying to judge this as a promoter deciding which I would pick for my club night, here are some of my cirteria:

1) mix 1 had more mixing than 2, some great some not so great.

The not so great mixes of 1 unsettles the listner whereas mix 2 was smooth as a dream. Though as Mix 1 was mixing he/ she could exit it a song quicker, Mix 2 had to play each song to near the end, I've seen that clearing a floor many times.

Then you have Mix 1's more tunes meant more transitions meaning an increased chance of messing up.

In the end I would book mix 2 for the warm up trusting that it would be a smooth quality experience and then wack mix 1 on to bring the Fiyah when people are too drunk to notice the occasional rough edges.

It should be a draw, but I will be voting mix 1 purely because that's the path I'm following :tup: to both of you!

dlove
03-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Thanks for listening & commenting, Jimanee. Much appreciated :tup:

shocase241
03-02-2012, 03:31 PM
I got to listen to both mixes...I appreciate the two different styles...Had I been from European or overseas...I would lean to book Mix 2 that seems more fit. Coming from the America's I'll have to go w/ Mix 1.
Side note:
Interesting selections from both DJ's though... it is tough to choice between both..because it's really apples and oranges like Face stated.
I say you guys should battle it out one more time sticking to the same genre. Roots vs Lovers Rock/Culture is kinda hairy.
Thanks guys...good stuff either way.

DJ- EVO
03-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Thank you all for listening and voting. Your comments were well noted.

monkeystyle
03-02-2012, 09:43 PM
I voted mix 2. I think mix 1 stayed in the same sort of groove throughout the whole mix. Not dynamic enough for me. What often keeps a good energy when you are mixing reggae in a club is to mix things up and between singer tunes and deejay tunes, female vocalist and male vocalist etc. I don't think mix 1 had any female vocalist at all.

moyo wilde
03-02-2012, 10:47 PM
i voted mix one. not too knowledgable about reggae, but here aremy comments. overall two very strong mixes and i wouldn't leave a bar if either dj were playing these sets.

mix 1 i absolutely loved, think i am going to download. if i go in a club bar lounge and this is on i know repeat i know i am going to be meeting a female or brought a female. it did have a few hiccups as has been mentioned. unlike monkeystyle i liked the fact that the mix for the most part stayed on message i think it is the mixes strength.

mix 2 had some good songs and solid programming as well and was more diverse in style and message and solid mixing.

mix 1 is probably going to go into my mixes for when a female is over hahahhaha and special sessions and tings, wish it were longer though, guess repeat'll have to do.

dlove
03-03-2012, 02:05 AM
Thanks for voting & the great comments, guys :)

repped (@monkeystyle, I'll have to wait to give you more rep...must spread it around first?!)

DJ- EVO
03-03-2012, 03:51 AM
Excellent feedback guys much appreciated.

BuddyUK
03-03-2012, 06:11 PM
My immediate thoughts is could I get my dagger on :hump: to either of these mixes and sadly the answer is no :mad: This shit is for the lay-dees, love this and that etc. (insert gay smiley here) Mix 2 drops a classic King Tubby riddim and it's not Mikey Dread - Barber Saloon but some other track on it I've never heard of and i don't know whether to :tup: them or :tdown: them for it, so confusing, first track I like but then we get the riddim from Pressure Drop (not the two tone version, you must have some right muggy skins in your area Jimaneee mate) near the end and I don't know what is even ever even.

Mix 1 liked it too, gotta bow down to Jimanee's opinions as he knows his shit here, dropping a whole lot of tracks, warts and all, to err is human, to not is just letting the computer do it all for you (not saying mixer #2 done that BTW), personally got a fair few reggae records but wouldn't have a scooby how to put a mix together with them, going to have too get a second opinion on this before I vote, because I really can't choose ATM

mix4fix
03-04-2012, 12:54 AM
I don't normally listen to Reggae; but, I liked mix #1.

dlove
03-04-2012, 10:17 AM
cheers guys, repped :tup:

BuddyUK
03-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Absolutely no useful feedback from the girls at work (what is this? I don't like it!) voted for 1 well done both of you, good battle.

DJ- EVO
03-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Thanks a lot guys, great feedback.

dlove
03-08-2012, 01:41 AM
well done EVO, thought I was winning for a while...dang!

Anyway, here's my tracklist for mix 2, all vinyl ,one take

1. Mungo's Hi-Fi with Zeb & Scotty 'Warm Up'
2. Bost & Bim with Lone Ranger 'Jamaican Boy' Dub*
3. Merciless 'Countryboy'
4. Riddim Tuffa Sound 'Good Love'
5. Barry Brown 'Love Love'
6. Askala Selasie/Masiker/Blackout JA 'Proud To Be A Rasta'
7. Dubmatix 'Celebrate My Love'
8. Leanne/Maytals Riddim 'Grapevine'*

*samples Blues Party Dub Plate Specials vol 1

bit of analogue siren at the end, wasn't feelin' it myself :lol:

Cheers for all your comments & time, folks. Next time I'll pack the tunes in and win!

DJ Riddims
03-08-2012, 04:31 PM
I finally have the time to take a listen and the polls are closed, lol. I would have voted for mix 1, the tracks were played for too long in mix 2.

dlove
03-09-2012, 01:50 AM
I finally have the time to take a listen and the polls are closed, lol. I would have voted for mix 1, the tracks were played for too long in mix 2.

yeh, I only cut into two, as I like to keep the vocals making sense and the transitions neat. I could have done something more with tracks 4 & 7 tho', and I've taken on board 'the amount' of tunes on a mixtape, & packed them in for a radio mix I did. I'll post it in the mix submissions once it's aired :tup:

DJ- EVO
03-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. Great tunes dlove. All vinyl as well. I lost my first take and was pissd cause it was pretty decent. Anyw
ays, this one came right after that one not as nice but, hey.

Capleton- That day will come/small world
Natty King- No guns to town
Tarrus Riley- She's royal
Don Ricardo- S.I.L.W.Y
Sugar Minott-Crazy
Morgan Heritage- Don't haffi dread
Spanner Banner- Better must come
Lloyd Brown- Main squeeze
Glen Washington- Sweet love
Freddie Mcgregor- Meet you tonight
Busy Signal- One more night
Peetah Morgan- Golden brown
Maikal X- The best thats in you
Sizzla- ?
Capleton- All is well

dlove
03-12-2012, 10:00 AM
nice one :tup: almost double the tunes! Good battle, well done for winning. We'll have to do it again sometime :D