PDA

View Full Version : Equipment help would be awsome?!

DJboneZ
02-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Hi everyone.

First of all i would like to apologize and be honest. I have looked for the information im looking for but prolly not to my full potential. im on alot of car forums and i know how frustrating in can be to repeat info all the time.. im in afghanistan and dont really have alot of internet time... okay anyways..

so i wana pick up djing as a hobby first and maybe play in clubs later down the road.. who knows.. basicly i dont know a thing about djing other than i love music and i think its cool.. allways have. i almost just started buying stuff for equipment until i thought about how stupid that would be..

So.. i dont own any vinyls, i own hardly any cds, i have all mp3s in other words... so from what i have researched i guess i fall in the catagory of becoming a digital dj.. like i said i dont really know anything im a noob. i want damn good equipment for the intital budget i have of 2000 big ones to start out.. i have a new laptop which from my understanding is all you need with a program to start out as a basic digital dj. but i dont want that. i want the full dj feel of turn tables and effects of a mixer and all that jazz. i allmost purchased the numark NS6 as a impulse buy a couple days ago but caught myself and decided not to be an idiot and research first. so what i guess im asking for is
-a equipment list for me to start out
-some products that are on the market that will last me for a long time, i can grow into when i get better, and may be user friendly

I like all types of techno, hip hop and rock and thats what i will be djing i guess.. thanks for the help everyone :)

DJ Sunshine
02-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Welcome to the world of DJing :)

It sounds like your best route might be DVS, or a Digital Vinyl System. You would get two turntables or CD players and use them to manipulate software on your computer. For software, the common choices for a DVS setup are Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Serato Scratch Live, and Virtual DJ. You would use two special CDs or vinyl records called "timecodes" that will send data to your computer and allow you to manipulate the audio file you have selected in the program. The Technics SL-1200 is one of the most prestigious pieces of DJ gear when it comes to turntables, the "holy grail" if you will. This is definitely a piece of gear that will be with you for a VERY long time. If you'd rather use CD players, commonly called CDJs, I'd look at the Pioneer CDJ-850. The Pioneer CDJ900 and the CDJ2000 are the cream of the crop in the CDJ market, but are out of your price range. As for a mixer, this is where it gets tricky. Do you want to be a scratch DJ (make the "wiki wiki" sound on turntables) or just put together awesome mixes? Regardless, don't skimp on the mixer, you'll regret it. This is by no means a be-all end-all rule, but scratch DJs normally employ a 2-channel mixer while with mix DJs the norm is a 4-channel mixer. THIS IS NOT SET IN STONE though.

The other option you have is to go with an all-in-one controller like that NS6 you were looking at, although controllers generally do not retain as much of their value as individual pieces of gear. However, the Numark NS7 is the flagship controller in Numark's product line, and would give you a very authentic feel, as it was designed to basically put the feel of DVS into the portability of a controller.

This link might be a good starting point for you as well.

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?646-Sigma-s-n00bs-guide-to-DJing-right

Hope some of this helps.

Welcome to DJForums :)

Btw, I'm sorry if you feel I'm talking to you as if you're ignorant/stupid. I just honestly don't know how much you know, so I'm trying to cover all my bases.

DJboneZ
02-26-2012, 11:53 PM
that was helpful thank you! i was looking at the ns7 last night and im really leaning to that.. i dont think a dvs system or cdj would be the way to go for me.. it sounds like its more gear that i would need to get rather than going the with the ns7 where everythings intergrated into one unit..

Is there anything else i have to buy with the ns7 controller to get started? from my understanding it comes with a computer program when purchaced.. but is that program good and user friendly..? and any ohter gear that would be nessary for me to get started or just nice to have.. as far as what i want to do with djing i want to scratch and mix.. i want to be universal and do everything..

thanks again for the help and the info!

fueledbymusic
02-27-2012, 01:49 AM
You can always do a cd system too. Cause you can make cds using the mp3s you already have, as cdrs are very inexpensive. Thats what I do.

ampnation
02-27-2012, 04:02 AM
The advantages of a controller are compactness and price for the most part. The NS7 is one of the more respected controllers and from what I've seen, the platters are even better than many CDJ platters. In general terms, controllers represent compromise but to put together a superior mixer+decks system you have to spend more. If you spend the same as a given controller, you'll probably end up with components that are even worse quality than the controller or with stripped down features.

Given that you're just starting there are two trains of thought as to how you should gain experience. Some think you should learn how to use all the bells and whistles from the get to but I think the larger consensus is, learn how to do the basics without the distraction of a million effects. With even the most basic equipment, you can learn how to beatmatch. With any digital setup you'll have crutches like wave forms available to you and I think it is simply best if you can exercise discipline and learn how to beatmatch by ear first.

I'm not a digital DJ so I don't know this, but I think most if not all controllers come with a lite or LE version of software and can be upgraded to the full product for additional money. I can only think of one product where that isn't true exactly... the Denon HC4500 IIRC is a Serato Itch product (Itch is the light version and I believe that's what the NS7 comes with too) and the hardware needed to run Itch is in the controller. In order to upgrade, you would need to buy the separate Serato box like an SL4 just like you would if you were adding Serato to a completely analog system.

I would figure out which full product software seems like a better fit for you and narrow your hardware choices based on that. Once you start using a certain software, I think most resist moving to a different platform and I think you want the full version of whatever you get. It is possible that the problem I mention with the HC4500 upgrade exists for most if not all Itch controllers. Make sure you know before you buy.

One more thing to think about... the very best controllers do not equal the level of quality found in the very best standalone components. You won't find a controller that stands up to say a pair of CDJ2000 used with say a Rane 62 mixer. the CDJ2000 + Rane 62 will blow your budget all the heck though.

On the other hand, you can get very reasonable excellent quality standalone components if you're willing to sacrifice bells and whistles. The Xone:22 comes to mind.

And remember, most DJ's that have been around for a while are not on the gear they started on. So think about what you need now, what you'll need in the future and go for it.

DJ Sunshine
02-27-2012, 05:28 PM
that was helpful thank you! i was looking at the ns7 last night and im really leaning to that.. i dont think a dvs system or cdj would be the way to go for me.. it sounds like its more gear that i would need to get rather than going the with the ns7 where everythings intergrated into one unit..

Is there anything else i have to buy with the ns7 controller to get started? from my understanding it comes with a computer program when purchaced.. but is that program good and user friendly..? and any ohter gear that would be nessary for me to get started or just nice to have.. as far as what i want to do with djing i want to scratch and mix.. i want to be universal and do everything..

thanks again for the help and the info!

How could I forget headphones!!! Totally slipped my mind, pick up a good pair of ear cans, the higher quality the better. The Pioneer HDJ2000s tend to be the standard, but this is very much up to personal preference. Me, I went with Beats Studio HDs (the big ol' ones) and I love em. Main thing in good headphones is an accurate bass response and good mid-range.

If I'm correct, the NS7 comes with Itch software. Someone above said that it is very easy to use software as a crutch, and there is very much truth to this statement. I started out on a crap 2-channel mixer and the CDJs that I still have, and I gotta say, that without waveforms/auto-sync/beat grids, it is definitely an uphill battle. However, it is an uphill battle that I'm glad I fought, because I learned and internalized the basics. I understood the structures of songs and where the vocal lines/drops/breakdowns/etc. were, because all I had to rely on were my ears. When I finally went with software (Traktor Scratch Duo 2), I was able to apply all those things I learned and put the power of software behind it. Sorry for the personal history, but I'm now at my point:

The NS7 would be a great first purchase. HOWEVER: Don't let the powerful software and myriad of effects fast track the learning curve, because it will only hurt you down the road. Learn to beatmatch by ear. Study the structures of your songs. I sound like a broken record, I know, but it is because it is much easier to learn and understand how to do these things when you're first starting out than when you have a cushy year of software reliance under your belt. It is the understanding of how songs flow that separates a good DJ from a dime-a-dozen digital DJ who cues up the next song, presses Sync, and crossfades over to the next song. I'm almost tempted to tell you to avoid getting software right away, but I'm aware of the age in which we live in. However, I am now looking back and realizing just how much 2 CDJs and a 2-channel mixer taught me, and I gotta say I'm really glad I did it that way. Go with the NS7, but don't fall prey to the software :P

Boomcie
02-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Dude for $2000 You can pick up 2 used Technics or 2 new Stanton 150s or Numark TTXs a mixer and a DVS

DJboneZ
02-28-2012, 02:09 AM
How could I forget headphones!!! Totally slipped my mind, pick up a good pair of ear cans, the higher quality the better. The Pioneer HDJ2000s tend to be the standard, but this is very much up to personal preference. Me, I went with Beats Studio HDs (the big ol' ones) and I love em. Main thing in good headphones is an accurate bass response and good mid-range.

If I'm correct, the NS7 comes with Itch software. Someone above said that it is very easy to use software as a crutch, and there is very much truth to this statement. I started out on a crap 2-channel mixer and the CDJs that I still have, and I gotta say, that without waveforms/auto-sync/beat grids, it is definitely an uphill battle. However, it is an uphill battle that I'm glad I fought, because I learned and internalized the basics. I understood the structures of songs and where the vocal lines/drops/breakdowns/etc. were, because all I had to rely on were my ears. When I finally went with software (Traktor Scratch Duo 2), I was able to apply all those things I learned and put the power of software behind it. Sorry for the personal history, but I'm now at my point:

The NS7 would be a great first purchase. HOWEVER: Don't let the powerful software and myriad of effects fast track the learning curve, because it will only hurt you down the road. Learn to beatmatch by ear. Study the structures of your songs. I sound like a broken record, I know, but it is because it is much easier to learn and understand how to do these things when you're first starting out than when you have a cushy year of software reliance under your belt. It is the understanding of how songs flow that separates a good DJ from a dime-a-dozen digital DJ who cues up the next song, presses Sync, and crossfades over to the next song. I'm almost tempted to tell you to avoid getting software right away, but I'm aware of the age in which we live in. However, I am now looking back and realizing just how much 2 CDJs and a 2-channel mixer taught me, and I gotta say I'm really glad I did it that way. Go with the NS7, but don't fall prey to the software :P

Yea i got some headphones already. i ended up picking up a pair of Ultrasone DJ1s.. i got a warm fuzzy about the reviews and just went ahead and bought them.

as for the NS7 it does come with itch and im kind of worried about it cause i hear the software dosent work well with windows 7.. i have a new toshiba satalite L655 laptop and im worried about it not working with my OS.. i would love to pic up a macbook pro but i just dont have the extra cash for a 1700 dollar laptop right now.. and as for the learning curve thing im very very motivated to take it slow while learning how to be a dj.. i just want good equipment with lots of growing room i want to fight that same battle but want some extra bells and whistles along with it so when the times right i can get into some of those extra goodies..

im also looking at the denon S-3700 digital turntable with the rane TTM 57SL mixer.. there are so many options out there for equipment its a hard decision when your a noob..but that system is pretty expensive for me right now but with how indecisive im being i will prolly be able to afford it by the time im ready to purchace lol..

as for these dvs systems everyones talking about, i dont really understand how there set up.. i mean dont you still have to use vinyl? if so im not about to start spending money on vinyls when i have thousands of mp3.. i know the dvs runs through your laptop and you use your mp3s but i dont really understand the concept because you still have to use a traditional turntable..? please correct me if im wrong but i really need to be educated i guess..

and one more question i have just downloaded some software called MIXXX, is anyone familar with it? it was free and i figured i would try it out and start playing with it to get the hang of mixing or of an idea on how to do some basic stuff.. just trying to find out if its any good or if it will just hinder my ability to learn the right way?

DJboneZ
02-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Im really considering these Denon S-3700 now.. does anyone have any input on a really good mixer that may be a little less expensive with a really good software package option?? i would like to make an purchase soon and some help would be much appretiated! also would there be anything else i need to get to get started with this setup? i guess it will either be the Denon or Numark now.. having trouble deciding tho.. lol

DJNR
02-28-2012, 01:32 PM
If you are looking for software with a mixer, I have a Korg Zero 4 which is Traktor scratch compatible, which means you don't need a sound card, you just plug your decks into the mixer and go.

I'm not trying to advertise. There are other mixers too, just look for some like the 57SL or any other Traktor certified mixer.

DJ Sunshine
02-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Yea i got some headphones already. i ended up picking up a pair of Ultrasone DJ1s.. i got a warm fuzzy about the reviews and just went ahead and bought them.

as for the NS7 it does come with itch and im kind of worried about it cause i hear the software dosent work well with windows 7.. i have a new toshiba satalite L655 laptop and im worried about it not working with my OS.. i would love to pic up a macbook pro but i just dont have the extra cash for a 1700 dollar laptop right now.. and as for the learning curve thing im very very motivated to take it slow while learning how to be a dj.. i just want good equipment with lots of growing room i want to fight that same battle but want some extra bells and whistles along with it so when the times right i can get into some of those extra goodies..

im also looking at the denon S-3700 digital turntable with the rane TTM 57SL mixer.. there are so many options out there for equipment its a hard decision when your a noob..but that system is pretty expensive for me right now but with how indecisive im being i will prolly be able to afford it by the time im ready to purchace lol..

as for these dvs systems everyones talking about, i dont really understand how there set up.. i mean dont you still have to use vinyl? if so im not about to start spending money on vinyls when i have thousands of mp3.. i know the dvs runs through your laptop and you use your mp3s but i dont really understand the concept because you still have to use a traditional turntable..? please correct me if im wrong but i really need to be educated i guess..

and one more question i have just downloaded some software called MIXXX, is anyone familar with it? it was free and i figured i would try it out and start playing with it to get the hang of mixing or of an idea on how to do some basic stuff.. just trying to find out if its any good or if it will just hinder my ability to learn the right way?

The DVS system basically uses two specially encoded CDs (or vinyls, if using turntables) and that send data to the USB interface which then sends it to the computer. The computer interprets the data and manipulates the program accordingly. The signal is sent back out from the program, back into the box, and then into the mixer, where it is then sent to the speakers. So once everything is hooked up, I would load a song into a virtual deck on the program of my laptop, and press play on my corresponding CDJ/turntable. This would play the song from the computer, and send it to the mixer. The main great thing about DVS is that you get the full feel of using vinyl turntables (a very big thing for some people) while still being able to mix your MP3s from your computer. I went with a DVS setup, because I already had 2 CDJs and a mixer, and it was the simplest way to incorporate my laptop and still utilize the gear I have now. It also lets you show up at any club with your timecode CDs/vinyls, your USB box, and laptop and play a set. Here is a video I made of my setup, which runs on timecode/DVS. Hopefully this can give you a better idea of how it works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrHDAgSzBA4

As for the DN-S3700s. That would be a very good choice, and will definitely last you a long time. Spinning platter, some effects to play with, and USB/hard drive support to plug in thumb drives with all your MP3s on em = a solid choice, and I guarantee they will grow with you. And if you want to get a program later, you would be able to hook them into your computer and use them as controllers. A Rane TTM57 is one of the best scratch mixers out there, and would definitely be a good choice. If, like you said, it's a bit out of your price range, maybe do some research into Pioneer's DJM (the 400 perhaps?) series or Allen and Heath's Xone series. The Xone series is a solid line, and just about anything in there will serve you well.

Keep messing around in MIXXX. I know very few DJs who use it as their software of choice, but the purpose at this point is to get you an idea of what you can do as a DJ, and messing around with a free program is a great way to do that before going and dropping a small fortune on gear.

DJboneZ
02-28-2012, 02:25 PM
If you are looking for software with a mixer, I have a Korg Zero 4 which is Traktor scratch compatible, which means you don't need a sound card, you just plug your decks into the mixer and go.

I'm not trying to advertise. There are other mixers too, just look for some like the 57SL or any other Traktor certified mixer.

thats a pretty good mixer then? or are you just saying that since its compatible all i have to do is just plug the system in and download traktor scratch and go? i understand that concept.. im just trying to find the right peice of equipment for me..

what do people normally recomend for mixers? i would really like to get something with effects in it for later down the road.. i really dont even care if its around the same price as the rane anymore, or if it even is the rane.. i just can pay more than that.. ill bite the bullet.. i have came to my decicion on the turntables tho. im getting the denon's over the numark's.. i just need to figure out the best mixer that has pro durablity and options but noob friendly..

DJNR
02-28-2012, 03:26 PM
thats a pretty good mixer then? or are you just saying that since its compatible all i have to do is just plug the system in and download traktor scratch and go? i understand that concept.. im just trying to find the right peice of equipment for me..

what do people normally recomend for mixers? i would really like to get something with effects in it for later down the road.. i really dont even care if its around the same price as the rane anymore, or if it even is the rane.. i just can pay more than that.. ill bite the bullet.. i have came to my decicion on the turntables tho. im getting the denon's over the numark's.. i just need to figure out the best mixer that has pro durablity and options but noob friendly..

It's a good piece of gear. You can do some research. Some people on here even have one, you can check my thread in the Equipment for Sale thread and people keep saying that they really like it. The mixer has built in effects, and individual effects for each channel, so you can double stack effects. It's also 4 channels. I'm selling it for about $300 cheaper than a Rane, and it has a innofader installed, which is better than the Rane fader for many people.

As for mixers you should look at, people often tend to go with the big three: Rane, Pioneer, and Allen and Heath. All three companies offer great products, but of course, you have to pay the price.

ampnation
02-28-2012, 08:34 PM

disclaimer... I'm not a digital DJ so this is all learned from the boards and talking to people, not actual experience. Still I think I know enough to answer your questions,

DVS involves what is called time code vinyls. Some systems come with time code vinyls. You can also pick up those individually. I'm guessing they wear out after a while even more so than real vinyl records with recorded content because you're using them constantly, not switching the record for each song. With the right hardware the time code vinyl will send information back to the computer which allows you to simulate real vinyl records. It kind of creates a virtual vinyl copy of your mp3. Now when you move the platter, the effect is, your mp3 sounds like you're scratching the vinyl version of the record. Instead of buying a vinyl copy and carrying it around, you buy the mp3 or rip the mp3 to your computer from a CD and you have a single timecode vinyl for each deck.

I'm not sure the term DVS is applied to CDJ's too, but the same basic setup is available for CDJ's with timecode CD's. Some CDJ's need a timecode CD and others like the CDJ400 don't. I've owned CDJ400's and toyed with Virtual DJ using them which is how I know this. IIRC, the feature on the CDJ400's that allows this is called HID. Make sure and ask before buying if you decide to go this route.

With vinyl turntables, you obviously ALWAYS need timecodes to do a DVS system.

As far as MIXX, I haven't seen anyone give a glowing review and plenty of "don't bother". I figure, a word to the wise is sufficient.

Hope that helps.

DJboneZ
03-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Hey everyone thanks for your help and the information that you have passed on! this reply is just letting everyone know my final decision and what i purchased recently.. I ended up picking up the Denon S3700 Turntables with a Denon X1600 mixer, i will be running Traktor Scratch Pro 2 on a Mac. I also got the Traktor Kontrol X1 controller to help control some looping and fx. I also picked up a coffin case to protect my gear and of course a pair of headphones..

I am acctually considering my self very luckily and a little shocked because one of my good friends is giving me a complete dvs system.. unfortunatly i found out after i bought my gear but oh well now i will have more than i know what to do with i guess.. The gear that is being givin to me happens to be 2 technics 1200's, a mixer and crates of vinyls.. there apparently is cases, stands, mics, headphones, and all kinds of stuff being givin to me and all i have to do is pay for shiping... my friend fell into this stuff when one of his friends passed away. he jsut has no interest in djing.. everything else that comes with the stuff is unknown by either of us right now but i should find out what everything is exactly in the next few weeks..

DJNR
03-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Congratulations on your purchase! Enjoy. :)