PDA

View Full Version : Any opinion on Numark's CDJs?

mix4fix
02-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Are they worth a damn?

DJ Sunshine
02-26-2012, 01:40 PM
I have the NDX400s, and I gotta say for the money, you get a buttload. Thumb drive/external HD support, reverse/brake/scratch, full MP3 support, for $170 USD they're hard to beat. I'm actually considering getting a pair of their big brothers, the NDX900s to take advantage of MIDI mapping.

Liam
02-26-2012, 01:54 PM
What ones?

mix4fix
02-26-2012, 05:47 PM
900s.

Roshanbhoj
02-26-2012, 07:34 PM
If they have the Mixtrack jogwheels(which I'm pretty sure they do) then I despise them. They might have all those functions but the jogwheels ruin it for me. So much better jogwheels in the market. Some people like the way the plastic things are and I respect that but yeah.

QuentinisCue
02-27-2012, 06:04 AM
I personally hate them, but hey...

Windows 95
02-27-2012, 06:17 AM
900s.Still fairly new enough to be sure.
I haven't heard a lot of complaints about them, but with the exception of the Axis 9, Numark's CDJs have a terrible track record for reliability.

golem
02-28-2012, 07:47 AM
The biggest problem with NDX-800 (and NDX-900) is that if you are used to mixing with Pioneers it will be very difficult to change your habits into using separate play/pause/cue buttons. You do mistakes very easily (and probably the vice versa when you move from these to Pioneer).

NDX-400 has only two buttons, play/pause and cue. Although it has a bit different logic than Pioneer it is much easier to switch and use alternately the NDX-400 logic and Pioneer logic than NDX-800/900 logic and Pioneer logic.

So I would actually buy the NDX-400s if some of those :)

mix4fix
02-28-2012, 09:40 PM
The biggest problem with NDX-800 (and NDX-900) is that if you are used to mixing with Pioneers it will be very difficult to change your habits into using separate play/pause/cue buttons. You do mistakes very easily (and probably the vice versa when you move from these to Pioneer).

NDX-400 has only two buttons, play/pause and cue. Although it has a bit different logic than Pioneer it is much easier to switch and use alternately the NDX-400 logic and Pioneer logic than NDX-800/900 logic and Pioneer logic.

So I would actually buy the NDX-400s if some of those :)

Never owned Pioneer but I want to try them. I'm looking at Numark as a cheap option.

LoveBass
02-28-2012, 10:09 PM
they crap, i don't know a single person who's had them last long term. Make an investment not a purchase

axilleas1
02-29-2012, 08:48 AM
they crap, i don't know a single person who's had them last long term. Make an investment not a purchase

Do you own them? Well I do, and I could not disagree with you more. State your own experience not hearsay.......

foops
02-29-2012, 08:59 AM
I was the one on djf 1.0 that wrote the 2 page rant about NDX 400's. I originally bought them to have a compact mobile setup - so i wouldn't have to drag my techs out. Short story - I bought a pair that were absolutely awful and numark support basically told me to fuck off. I sold them at a loss on ebay. I suffered everything from cue lag to completely scrambled playback to ejecting cds during playback. This was all within a couple months of owning them. They never even left the house, I was too afraid to play them out.

I bought a set of used pioneer 800 mk1s and couldn't be more happy. They only cost me like $100-150 more total for the set. I should have done it in the first place.

Hausgeist
02-29-2012, 12:00 PM
After selling my Pioneer cdj-400s, I bought a brand new pair of Axis 4s, with warranty and free shipping for $79 each. I've had them for a couple of months or so, and so far they have not given me any trouble. My nephew has had a pair for a few years, and his still work fine. My buddy has a pair of HDXs, and those things have given him nothing but headaches, but they are nice decks when they work. Apparently, the cd drive in those things is a pos.

I never tried the NDX line.

Atomisk
02-29-2012, 12:36 PM
The NDX-400s don't even play .wav from USB. W.T.F. This is the only thing stopping me from playing out on them. I don't want to sound like some scrub VDJ user who plays 320 mp3s running through his integrated soundcard's line out.

Seriously, WTF, since when did mp3 become the industry standard for sound files? I don't even think DJs should be allowed to play mp3s. I never would've bought them if I had known they only play mp3s through USB.

That is all.

DJNR
02-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Errr... Are MP3s even that bad? I mean, I play 320 through Traktor and it sounds good.

Manu
02-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Are they worth a damn?

Absolutely. Damn them to hell.

mostapha
02-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Errr... Are MP3s even that bad? I mean, I play 320 through Traktor and it sounds good.

Yes. Mostly, it's a "why bother?" type thing. The difference is not a big as "scrub" vs. "pro" IMHO. And I can reliably ABX the difference. It doesn't really bother me if I accidentally buy a track as 320mp3 or 256aac…it's better than not using the track. But hard drives are cheap. I think I got 3 16GB USB sticks for like $40 for the next time I play on CDJ-2000s. A good 120GB SSD is under $400. If you're willing to deal with hard drives, they're like $150 to $400 per TB for good externals and cheaper than that for internal drives.

Disk space is cheap, so there's no reason to use 20 MB files instead of 80MB files unless you're broke/cheap. If you're that broke, maybe DJing isn't for you…if you're that cheap, you probably don't care about music enough to be a good DJ.

So, the quesiton isn't why use wavs when mp3s are almost as good, the reason is why make the sacrifices for mp3 when there are no real benefits.

The only exception IMHO are the mobile jocks that actually need 20,000 records because they have no idea what to play at a gig……but I'm not convinced that they actually need that many records considering that every mobile jock I've ever heard, added up, maybe played 200 distinct songs from 1997 to last week when a mobile guy accidentally got a bar gig.

DJ Que Yi
02-29-2012, 05:10 PM
So is the NDX 800 a good player or not? I have read that they are a good value. But I don't see where anyone uses them to play out. If you could purchase a set for half off would you play out with them?

Hausgeist
02-29-2012, 05:14 PM
So is the NDX 800 a good player or not? I have read that they are a good value. But I don't see where anyone uses them to play out. If you could purchase a set for half off would you play out with them?

Honestly, with all the issues Numark has had over the years with their cd players, I would not. But if it is just for knocking around at home, sure.

DJ Que Yi
02-29-2012, 05:28 PM
I found this demo on the web which looked impressive but if quality is an issue then i would be leary of their longevity. I have played on the NX7 and the platters are the best that I have played on- but they are also motorized. I'm looking for a good alternative to my 1200's. I'ved tried the Pioneer top models and good not getthe control I am use to. Any suggestions? I hear the Denon S5000's are great. Any opinions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHix3ZUxJBo

Hausgeist
02-29-2012, 05:32 PM
I'm looking for a good alternative to my 1200's. I'ved tried the Pioneer top models and good not getthe control I am use to. Any suggestions? Any opinions?

I'd suggest getting used to the Pioneers. It's not that hard. You'll get the hang of them.

DJNR
02-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Yes. Mostly, it's a "why bother?" type thing. The difference is not a big as "scrub" vs. "pro" IMHO. And I can reliably ABX the difference. It doesn't really bother me if I accidentally buy a track as 320mp3 or 256aac…it's better than not using the track. But hard drives are cheap. I think I got 3 16GB USB sticks for like $40 for the next time I play on CDJ-2000s. A good 120GB SSD is under $400. If you're willing to deal with hard drives, they're like $150 to $400 per TB for good externals and cheaper than that for internal drives.

Disk space is cheap, so there's no reason to use 20 MB files instead of 80MB files unless you're broke/cheap. If you're that broke, maybe DJing isn't for you…if you're that cheap, you probably don't care about music enough to be a good DJ.

So, the quesiton isn't why use wavs when mp3s are almost as good, the reason is why make the sacrifices for mp3 when there are no real benefits.

The only exception IMHO are the mobile jocks that actually need 20,000 records because they have no idea what to play at a gig……but I'm not convinced that they actually need that many records considering that every mobile jock I've ever heard, added up, maybe played 200 distinct songs from 1997 to last week when a mobile guy accidentally got a bar gig.

Thanks for the honest explanation. I understand now. +rep

mostapha
02-29-2012, 07:33 PM

No, but I wouldn't buy any CDJs to play out with. If I have to bring my own equipment, at this point, it'll probably be a controller…that I don't own yet. Everything else is either too heavy to too expensive to risk.

spicaly
03-01-2012, 10:21 AM
i've been using a pair of icdx's for a good 4 or 5 years for mobile work, they work pretty good for using serato, but ones stopped reading cds and the other one of the rca's stopped... im happy they've lasted as long as they have

mix4fix
03-02-2012, 06:00 PM
I was just curious on the Numarks; I wanna try Pioneer or get Denon.

Is it a bad time to get 2000s if they will soon be replaced/discontinued?

DJ Sunshine
03-04-2012, 05:08 PM
I was just curious on the Numarks; I wanna try Pioneer or get Denon.

Is it a bad time to get 2000s if they will soon be replaced/discontinued?

Considering that the Pio 2000s are a beast of a deck, it would probably be a great time to get em. Where did that come from though? You were asking about a Numark deck that costs 3-400, but you're also considering a Pio deck worth over 1k?

Archon
03-05-2012, 08:06 AM
i have the mixdeck, forget what the haters say, numark makes nice products. people just dislike them cuz they arent ZOMG PIUHNEAR or TEEHEE TEKNIX!!!!!! if you dont have 6,000 dollars to throw at a new setup, get numark.

Archon
03-05-2012, 08:09 AM
dennon is great. the DNS-5000's are good if you're hooking them up to a computer but other than that they suck. if you aren't using a computer get the DNS-3700's although the play/pause buttons on those are kidna shit tier

mix4fix
03-05-2012, 08:10 AM
Considering that the Pio 2000s are a beast of a deck, it would probably be a great time to get em. Where did that come from though? You were asking about a Numark deck that costs 3-400, but you're also considering a Pio deck worth over 1k?

I was just looking at the Numarks as a cheap option. I had the 2000s in mind but wasn't sure about buying them if they would be discontinued/changed.

JonnyFlash
03-06-2012, 05:51 AM
I have had Numark Axis 8's, then went to Pioneer CDJ 800's then to Numark HDX. For their time they were all great. The 800's were a beast of a player. I still have my HDXs and love them except for the lack of portability. I have never had any issues with them but I have also never used the cd drive as they are a hard drive based player so I loaded it up with tracks and never had to worry about CDs. Now I have a controller and love the portability. But I still have the HDXs to scratch on at home.