PDA

View Full Version : Any DJforums reviews on the Chauvet Colorband Pix Effect Light?

den1213
04-18-2013, 09:25 PM
I'm thinking about using this for a small wash in front of my set-up for smaller shows. How bright or how functional is this light to use as a wash?

DJzrule
04-21-2013, 09:20 AM
It's eh. Not that bright for a wash, it's more for the eye candy, which I really can't understand how Chauvet expects DJs to afford. The price point isn't right for something that's just aesthetic, its just not a real wash. :shrug:

Synaxis
04-21-2013, 02:12 PM
It's eh. Not that bright for a wash, it's more for the eye candy, which I really can't understand how Chauvet expects DJs to afford. The price point isn't right for something that's just aesthetic, its just not a real wash. :shrug:

Are we sure we are talking about the right fixture here? I know alot of DJs, including myself, use Chauvet ColorRails for a front dance floor wash, and they work great.

The New ColorBand Pixs, being Tri-LED, are significantly brighter than the ColorRails. I don't see why they wouldn't work well.

DJzrule
04-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Are we sure we are talking about the right fixture here? I know alot of DJs, including myself, use Chauvet ColorRails for a front dance floor wash, and they work great.

The New ColorBand Pixs, being Tri-LED, are significantly brighter than the ColorRails. I don't see why they wouldn't work well.

Tri LED just means you're slapping a Red, Green, and Blue LED in one lens, so as to make color mixing more seamless and to eliminate that ghosting ring of colors you get with separate Red, Green, and Blue segments.

The Colorband PIX series are bright, but they're really there for the eye candy of the fixture lenses. If going for a wash (and I'm 90% a Chauvet user) I would look into the American DJ QWH5X. Lot of output, very lightweight and small, and they're around $200 a pop. 4 can fill a crowd of 200 people pretty easily from what I've seen.

den1213
04-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Well, I've ordered it and should be receiving it Monday--->we shall see:) I couldn't find many reviews on it, and the local shops didn't carry it. I do like the fact that it adds, as DJzrule says, eye candy. I just want a nice wash, or lights in front of my table on the floor. I will add a small review after I receive it. As usual, Thanx guys for the opinions.

BillESC
04-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Tri LED just means you're slapping a Red, Green, and Blue LED in one lens, so as to make color mixing more seamless and to eliminate that ghosting ring of colors you get with separate Red, Green, and Blue segments.

The Colorband PIX series are bright, but they're really there for the eye candy of the fixture lenses. If going for a wash (and I'm 90% a Chauvet user) I would look into the American DJ QWH5X. Lot of output, very lightweight and small, and they're around $200 a pop. 4 can fill a crowd of 200 people pretty easily from what I've seen.

I wonder why you'd suggest a fixture offering 5 x 5w RGBW diodes for $ 200 when you can get Blizzard's Fab 5 which offers 7 x 15w RGBAW diodes for about the same cost.

Synaxis
04-21-2013, 07:05 PM

Yes, I'm very well aware of what Tri, Quad, and Pent-LEDs are. Bar type lights though are meant to provide a nice wider wash exactly for dancefloors and such, which is why they don't clump up all the LEDs into a small round fixture, but instead spread them out. Unlike pars, which wash a more concentrated area.

How often do you have a dance floor full with 200 anyway? That's the size of your average sized wedding, and the OP stated this was for smaller shows. You don't want to blind your audience either.

den1213, please get back to us on how you like it.

DJzrule
04-22-2013, 08:37 AM
I wonder why you'd suggest a fixture offering 5 x 5w RGBW diodes for $ 200 when you can get Blizzard's Fab 5 which offers 7 x 15w RGBAW diodes for about the same cost.

Unfortunately no one has the Fab 5 locally for me to compare, I've just seen lots of DJs (Arnoldo, Brian, Stewards Productions) who like the coverage. I'd assume the Fab 5 would have better output and color mixing.

den1213
04-24-2013, 08:37 PM
den1213, please get back to us on how you like it.

I just received it today. I'll kinda give a raw review because I'm not very advanced on lighting specs and so forth. First out the box, it is a nice looking piece of equipment. It has 12 LED lights across the unit. The light, (to my surprise), is protected by a clear plastic strip, (glass like), across the front of the unit. If you are familiar with Chauvet, the unit's back is pretty much the same as most Chauvet built for mobile units. The 12 LED lights are pretty bright for similar items in its category. On a scale of 1-10 I give it 8 in brightness. As I stated up the thread, I wanted to try it simply for some uplighting in front of my system for smaller gigs. As far as functionality, just going through the preset scenes, the light is very interesting as it runs light patterns from side to side, to middle to ends, to ends to middle and offers a bit of a strobe affect as well. You can do this with any color pattern you chose. The sound active mode is super sensitive, as I tested with my iphone volume just above the 1/2 volume line. I could really see the potential if you had 6-8 units running together.(I think that is the true reason for these lights, but of couse at 268 per unit that would add up to a very expensive piece of equipment). Running with just one of these units would probably get boring after a while. However, mixed in with other lights in your rig, it would be a small but nice touch to compliment your 'show stomper' lights. All in all, I give it about a 6, maybe 7 in overall performance, however, could see me giving this unit a 10 because of the potential that a multiple stack of these could offer. Someone with a creative mind could really go to work with 6 or 8 of these units. Well, that's about the best I can do thus far right out the box. Would I recommend it after this right out the box review, ummmm, perhaps, especially if you have in mind to build a bigger show with stacks of these. However, to buy it for one lighting unit, I think I'm thinking twice about buying this unit. I 'll play with it some more, and maybe there is more to it.

Final rating;
tup::tup::tup::tdown::tdown:

Arnoldo Offermann
04-24-2013, 08:50 PM

Because ADJ stocks parts better than anyone else and has incredible warranty and service. This is the same reason I buy Apple instead of Dell.

BillESC
04-24-2013, 09:12 PM
Because ADJ stocks parts better than anyone else and has incredible warranty and service. This is the same reason I buy Apple instead of Dell.

My friend, this is not always true. Sure, Blizzard is a relatively new and up and coming company but their customer service is exceptional IMHO and I'm a dealer for both companies.

Arnoldo Offermann
04-24-2013, 09:39 PM
My friend, this is not always true. Sure, Blizzard is a relatively new and up and coming company but their customer service is exceptional IMHO and I'm a dealer for both companies.

Never said they didn't... remember I'm friends with a few Blizz employees; however, my loyalty goes with the brand that's offered the best service in the long-run term.