PDA

View Full Version : Martin MX 1s and MX4s or others? New Setup Your Input...

P25CT
04-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Well I have the sound reinforcement set for the new setup now onto lighting..

Looking for a quantity of scanners for reasonable $$ for a startup which in my research brought me to the mx1 and mx4. Also looking at some older Chauvet 605 Intimidators in quantity.

As with my choices of sound equip need quantity not quality however dependable. Looking for 16 to 20 heads total.

What other gear would you suggest? Looking for new RGBs for wash and some strobes hazers/foggers, and a couple liquid sky lasers for dance floor coverage with one seperate laser for projection on dance floor.

For rigging looking at a 15 foot front truss on cranks or 12x12 sticks and a rear 15 foot same as well with cranks or sticks. Your help and suggestions here are appreciated. If I can get trussing inexpensive I will go with a fixed rectangle on sticks. Not sure if we can hang truss but lets assume not for discussion purposes. If i can that makes this part easy. Again your suggestions.

Format is mainstream house and some edm.

Setup will be semi permenant meaning vast majority of time will be set up at a fixed locale and very occasionally parts moved off site for some select gigs but very rare.

Thanks for your input..

Synaxis
04-17-2013, 10:33 PM
What is your budget?

P25CT
04-17-2013, 11:21 PM
So far have 6 mx4s 6 mx1s 6 chauvet intimidator 605s ready to go.

Another 3k available for lighting support

Goal is biggest bang for buck.

Johnnotestine
04-17-2013, 11:36 PM
Well I have the sound reinforcement set for the new setup now onto lighting..

Looking for a quantity of scanners for reasonable $$ for a startup which in my research brought me to the mx1 and mx4. Also looking at some older Chauvet 605 Intimidators in quantity.

As with my choices of sound equip need quantity not quality however dependable. Looking for 16 to 20 heads total.

What other gear would you suggest? Looking for new RGBs for wash and some strobes hazers/foggers, and a couple liquid sky lasers for dance floor coverage with one seperate laser for projection on dance floor.

For rigging looking at a 15 foot front truss on cranks or 12x12 sticks and a rear 15 foot same as well with cranks or sticks. Your help and suggestions here are appreciated. If I can get trussing inexpensive I will go with a fixed rectangle on sticks. Not sure if we can hang truss but lets assume not for discussion purposes. If i can that makes this part easy. Again your suggestions.

Format is mainstream house and some edm.

Setup will be semi permenant meaning vast majority of time will be set up at a fixed locale and very occasionally parts moved off site for some select gigs but very rare.

Thanks for your input..

For trussing I would definitely go with 12" box truss. Get quotes for ProX trussing from Bill. My understanding is it is the exact same thing as Global or TrussT at a better price.

P25CT
04-18-2013, 07:44 AM
Excuse my ignorance. Is Bill a member on the forum by user name? Good info thanks. Pains me to spend money on trussing but its a necessary evil kinda up there with insurance and taxes.. lol.

For a venue of say 200 or 250 how large of a lighted active dancefloor should I be looking toward designing? 20x40 perimitered area? One scanner every about 4 feet on perimiter truss I've been advised. I think thats a bit dense so Im backing it off a bit.

Thanks

BillESC
04-18-2013, 08:15 AM
I'm the Bill John is speaking of. :)

I'd be happy to discount a package of items you're interested in. A 20x40 dance floor is quite big, what kind of venues to you work in?

DJ Nada
04-18-2013, 04:43 PM
Biggest bang for the buck is going to be wash lighting.

You don't plan on pointing a laser down into the dance floor, do you? Because that's not how you're supposed to do it.

Synaxis
04-18-2013, 05:15 PM
Biggest bang for the buck is going to be wash lighting.

You don't plan on pointing a laser down into the dance floor, do you? Because that's not how you're supposed to do it.

Well that depends on the type of atmosphere he wants to create. If you want a more dark, with lots of beams type look, wash lighting is not really that necessary. Nevertheless, I'd buy some anyway because you can always simply turn them off. I don't think you will get much with that 3K budget though, since at least half of it looks to be going for trussing, but a few wash bars here and there would work.

P25CT
04-18-2013, 10:51 PM
Well that depends on the type of atmosphere he wants to create. If you want a more dark, with lots of beams type look, wash lighting is not really that necessary. Nevertheless, I'd buy some anyway because you can always simply turn them off. I don't think you will get much with that 3K budget though, since at least half of it looks to be going for trussing, but a few wash bars here and there would work.

This is true. 3k isnt a whole lot after buying truss. Some wash fog strobe couple lasers for liquid sky. Dmx cabling etc.

I got the dont point the laser at the people thing.

Yeah going for the dark club lots of beams dmx show stuff. Make some scenes and chases and pre can them and I should be good.

As time gies by this will improve. But for the type of work I like to do this will get me off and running..

Any pointers still on giid stuff thats worked for you or anything addressing my questions above.

Heres a good question. When you mix scanners using DMX what should I avoid or stay away from in designing scenes etc..

If anyone has mx1 mx4 or martin scanners of ye old halogen vintage let me know.. or any good dmx strobes foggers rgb wash etc.

Suggestions on rgb wash.. pars or strips? Strips more economical?

Samsung Galaxy Note II

electricsmooth
04-20-2013, 02:04 PM
I have 8x mx4s and they work great. Only problem is trying to get them on different circuits because they are 150w each

P25CT
04-20-2013, 10:17 PM
So after all Ive decided to go with New Chauvet Intimidator 200s. Reasons: Continuity of LED technology, warranty, low power consumption as I will be running multiples, daisyb chain power, light weight, independant gobo/color combos, true white LED strobe effect vs. Halogen yellowish, ability to split effects, and similar price point to older mx.

I originally looked at the 100 Chauvet but its really not provisioned for a pro fixed install type operation. Light and small good for weddings and smaller mobile gigs.

Thanks to Bill for his guidance.

Wash and truss next. Its a slow build but it will come together.

Im simultaneously figuring out sound reinforcement as well.

I have one MX4 if anyone is interested btw nice shape. PM for info. Hot it to test and see how I liked it. Excess to my needs at this point.

djscrizzle
04-21-2013, 02:47 AM
Pm meon that mx 4 when ya get a spare moment. Thanks!