PDA

View Full Version : Incorporating Production Elements into DJing

KLH
04-17-2013, 10:23 AM
It's time that we call attention to the movement to incorporate production elements into DJing. Some have called it Live Remixing (http://heavyinthestreets.blogspot.com/2007/05/dj-enfernothe-live-remix-project.html), Controllerism (http://www.controllerism.com/about), "PA"/Performance Assisted, and the "Future of DJing". Regardless of what you call it, the movement to embrace digital technology and push the bounds of mixing - via decomposing tracks into production elements, stems, samples, and more - is freeing mixing is creative ways not imagined.

While tools and techniques are still being discovered and explored, there are tools and techniques that are becoming a repeatedly seen. Notice that I do NOT say standard or even defacto standard. This area is experimental and very immature. Still, I tend to hear and see these tools pop up and be discussed more and more:

* Laptop - THE key enabler for all other tools
* DAW - Software that allows for sample recording, manipulation, management, and control via the controller
* Controller - AKAI MPC-like controller with 16 pads at a minimum. The more the merrier
* DJ setup - TTs, CDJs, or controller-based setup that allows for tracks to be played DJ-style

Artists that are known for this style of performance:

* Richie Hawtin
* Moldover
* Enferno
* Ean Golden

If you are planning to explore this style of performance, share your vision with others so that we can share...

-KLH

KLH
04-17-2013, 10:32 AM
I guess that I'll go first. Here's my setup:

* Laptop - Windows 7 32bit, Core2Duo @2GHz, 4GB RAM
* Traktor Pro
* Kontrol S4
* Kontrol F1

This simple setup allows me to explore (what I call) Live Remixing via Traktor's Remix Decks. I envision the use of popular song samples to create live remixes on-the-fly to keep my mixes fun and high-energy.

For examples of this style of performance, please watch this video and jump to these time slots:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/29816395

Jump to 28:00, 55:00, and 1:10:00. Please note that at the time I hadn't figured out that my webcam program caused sound glitches. Now I use another program.

-KLH

Atomisk
04-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Current "hybrid" DJ/live setup:
Macbook Pro 13" (aka the big sync button)
Xone:42 (everything runs through this)
Audio 8 DJ (soundcard)
2x Kontrol X1 (overall deck controllers)
Traktor F1 (for Remix deck)
Maschine (running alongside in its own program as a step sequencer)
EFX-1000 (for general FX processing, especially on the Maschine)

Unfortunately I don't have any videos of me performing using this setup, but I do regularly play on Faderwave Radio.
Right now I'm putting together an Ableton Live performance set, which I'm modeling after Richie Hawtin's Plastikman show, but that won't be complete until pretty far down the road.
ugnSmDu4a3c

Sebt1890
04-18-2013, 11:59 AM
I plan on using my skills in Pro Tools and Logic to pick apart songs and then create some Bootlegs of my own. I've been doing Original Mixes, I think its time to do a few little mashups and bootlegs for more practice.

Sigma
04-18-2013, 12:17 PM
I've been combining production and mixing for quite a few years now, but not in a live situation. I make multi-tracked mixes that can be 9 or 10 layers deep in places. It's kind of a dying art I guess.

I have dabbled with this kind of thing, both with my Z2 (not with any depth) and with a friend's setup (Ableton + APC-40).

Buszaj
04-18-2013, 01:10 PM
If I sort my budget out for this summer, I'd like to get Traktor Scratch Pro, an X1, and an F1. While mixing with the 2 CDJs I currently have, I'd like to work with effects on the X1, and samples + loops on the F1.

I'd like to start experimenting in the direction that Chris Liebing plays, seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pohTY2x0J2Q

KLH
04-18-2013, 05:06 PM
[Mod Note: Thread cleaned up. Some posts moved to the F1 thread (http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?19242-Traktor-Kontrol-F1-Anyone-using-this) in DDJ Tools - KLH]

Mrspyaman
04-18-2013, 05:24 PM
3 techs, 2 mixers, a couple radio shack reverbs 2 gemini 5 bank samplers and a boss DR-660 (just for 808 kicks).
My setup in 1993 when I did live remix sets (I actually never used the term mashup) and still got everything on 12's that had Instrumentals and acapellas. A challenging set was doing a live remix with Fiji (Hawaiian Artist) as he performed the song in concert.
Technology has opened the door to be even more creative but I would in no way classify this as new.

Mrspyaman
04-18-2013, 05:28 PM
I am not knocking technology and agree that it makes remixing easier, I am just saying i sampled the same bits I did 20 years ago I just didn't have to time them as well or mess with the levels as much.

Manu
04-20-2013, 08:47 AM
I used an additional deck for years just to be able to add samples at any given moment. More recently I've programmed a max/msp patch specifically to play samples, with the possibility of onboard fx and used it for a while. I quit using that because the program being uncapable of dealing with larger files. Now I'm more onto Logic pro and keyboard mapped samples on Reason.

I've also had quite a few gigs with a few other folks, when all the gear is all setup you actually get a full CDJ/technics/Ableton/maxmsp/traktor/keyboards/instruments/fx/etc rig running up to 8.2 surround sound. Then one set after another you get to see all of what these guys do, it goes a little beyond mixing on just 2 decks. Add to that visuals and lights on a secondary rig and you get something that is upper level.