PDA

View Full Version : Question for the DJs: Is it Ok to take songs of another DJs mixtape for your mixtape

rchecka
02-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Short n sweet, yes or no will do.

Do you think it's acceptable to rip a song from another DJ's final mix and mix it into your own mix or live set?

rchecka
02-26-2012, 08:47 AM
So since Sigmas trainwreck yesterday, 2 other people besides him voted yes it's ok to jack from a DJ.
Question for the mods, how do you make the poll so you can see who voted yes or no? That was a feature of DJF 1.0 but I can't find it now.
Sound off your votes if you voted, mention why you voted that way. I'd like to know who justifies it and why.

Sigma
02-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Oh dear..... :lol:

rchecka
02-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Ooooooohhhhh!

http://external.ak.fbcdn.net/safe_image.php?d=AQBzmtUuoj_gI9DW&url=http%3A%2F%2Fi2.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2Fq6V51NLAS8c%2 Fhqdefault.jpg

Synergy
02-26-2012, 09:30 AM
i voted no, because its not right. buy the song.

Sigma
02-26-2012, 09:33 AM
This poll came about because someone was asking about using a track from a mixtape where the song was NOT available to buy, but rchecka has left that bit out cos it made it more likely people would vote "no".

Synergy
02-26-2012, 09:56 AM
This poll came about because someone was asking about using a track from a mixtape where the song was NOT available to buy, but rchecka has left that bit out cos it made it more likely people would vote "no".

its always a no. if you can't get the track from the artist or buy it....dont fucking use it!

Sigma
02-26-2012, 09:58 AM
I disagree, but you're entitled to your own opinion.

rchecka
02-26-2012, 10:37 AM

Dude, please stop now, you made your point and you are insulting people's intelligence now. No one needs your coaching. I made the poll question very clear just as the OP of the thread in question did. Your not pulling the wool over anyone's eyes on this thread or the other.

This is a black and white question, yes or no. You voted yes. We get it.

Sigma
02-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Nah, you're being dishonest to push some bullshit ego-driven agenda. It's a black and white question, sure, but considering you made it in response to a thread asking about tunes that are NOT available to buy, then I have to wonder why you phrased the question in such a way.

moyo wilde
02-26-2012, 10:44 AM
6'n the morning' dj police at my door
Fresh adidas squeak across the bathroom floor
Out the back window I made my escape
took a chance grabbed a song off a old mixtape

Ain't mad with no music and happy 'cause I'm free
And the songs in my mix where it should be
got a couple cassettes in pocket weighin' at least a grand
headphones on my neck, ableton's close at hand

I'm a self-made monster of the city streets
Remotely controlled by hard hip hop beats
But just djin' in the city is a serious task
Didn't know what Rchecka wanted
Didn't have the time to ask

Word

6'n the morning
ice t (moyo wilde rerub)

moyo wilde
02-26-2012, 11:00 AM
Give me that beat fool, it's a full time jack move
Chilly chill, yo homie make the track move
And I'll jack any Tom, Dick and Hank
That's the name of the suckers I done ganked

I get away from a Rchecka
Drop a dime, I'll break you off somethin' propp
With the DJF M O B
Moyo wilde and that's Sigma

And here's how we'll greet ya
Stop fool, come off that beat ya
Feel dumb 'cuz you're caught in the dark
(Ya lil' nuttin' ass mark)

Raise up, 'cuz you can't have it back
You said, "I ain't never got gaffled like that"
Off the end of the gat you choke
Short dog's in the house, "Whattup Loc?"

Nuttin' but a come up
Gimme that bass and don't try to run up
'Cuz you'll get banked somethin' sweet
Moyo Wilde and the DJF Mob is jackin' for beats

Play it jack
Play it jack
Play it, play it, play it jack

Huh and even if you're down with my crew
(Yo chuck man, I don't understand this man)
I jack them too

And then we'll freak it
Kick that bass and look what we did
Fade the grade, played and made a few mil
And I keep stealin'

Moyo wilde'll make it funky
But right about now, let's get up in the hump
But I don't party and shake my butt
I leave that to the brothers with the funny haircuts

And it'll drive you nuts, steal your beat and give it that gangsta touch
Like jackin' at night, say hi to the three fifty-seven I'm packin'
And it sounds so sweet
Moyo Wilde and the Lench Mob is jackin' for beats

Play it jack
Play it jack, jack
Play it, play it jack

Moyo Wilde, take a funky beat and re-shape
Locate a dope break and then I break it
And give it that gangsta lean
Dead in your face as I turn up the bass

I make punk suckers run and duck because
I don't try to hide 'cuz you know that I love to
Jack a fool for his beat and then I'm out
So when I come to your town don't crowd me

'Cuz I know, you're gonna wanna kick it with me
But I know, none of y'all can get with me
So you think you're protected
Well you are 'til you put a funky beat on a record

Then I have to show and prove and use your style
'Cuz suckers can't fade the Wilde
And if I jack you and you keep comin'
I'll have you marks a hundred miles and running

jackin for beats
ice cube (moyo wilde rerub)

rchecka
02-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Bootleg - Death Before Dishonesty

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_yKJeSlVbu5w/TPSpwjZN1JI/AAAAAAAAAqs/z_UKlVcOcoQ/s400/bootleg-death+before+dishonesty.jpeg

"If you bootleg I'll break your legs"

This is my last comment, after all, it's Sunday, I got beer to drink and records to spin...

If every DJ jacked from every other DJ's mix not only would all DJs be clones of each other but there would be no need for record stores.

dlove
02-26-2012, 11:37 AM
so far, I got the swinging vote - No. :D

Dj_4-$hure
02-26-2012, 06:28 PM
I bet if the poll was... Is it ok to take a lil wayne track that came from dj pauly mixtape, everyones opinion would change in a second.
Thsi is the truth...And you know this mmmaaannn!

DJ Rob One
02-27-2012, 04:24 AM
not only no, but HELL NO! if it's on a mixtape chances are it's out there some where or it's coming out very soon. Take the time to find the song yourself. The internet has made DJ's lazy.

moyo wilde
02-27-2012, 05:00 AM
what part of NEVER coming out don't people understand. the guy is on to his next mixtape. you guys live in what century? people make all kindsa albums (mixtapes) and the songs are NEVER released outside of the mixtape. yes i searched no i didn't contact the artist to get a copy. there is no white label/BOOTLEG version no IMPORT version.

Some are covers that artists do of other artist's material or beats, some have samples that the artist can not get cleared. if any of you are real hip hop heads you know part of the delay in albums is waiting for and negotiating samples. sometimes when the sample can't get cleared they have to go back and redo the song. would it be wrong to use a copy of the original version? in addition what is the difference in using a white label and what i am talking about? and i have twenty or thirty white labels, yes records.

the music business's paradigm has shifted and part of that is that there are many many many many mixtapes, and many songs that outside of the mixtape. will never be heard.

the whole thing is pointless cause i and many others am/are going to do it anyway. welcome to the 21st century. you guys remind of the people who said usuary was bad you see how that ended. or something more recent, that america shouldn't use stem cells (wait till the US falls behind because of that nonsense).

Ellissentials
02-27-2012, 07:04 AM
As a new producer I have to say this...

If I mix a 74 minute mixtape, and I throw down a track that I made..that I'll never release.. and that I put on the mixtape SPECIAL just for my taste and flavor and personal being.....and someone rips it and uses it...I'd be fucking PISSED! I would bite someones throat the fuck off their neck if I could :)

There's my $0.02 :tup:

dlove
02-27-2012, 07:07 AM
As a new producer I have to say this...

If I mix a 74 minute mixtape, and I throw down a track that I made..that I'll never release.. and that I put on the mixtape SPECIAL just for my taste and flavor and personal being.....and someone rips it and uses it...I'd be fucking PISSED! I would bite someones throat the fuck off their neck if I could :)

There's my $0.02 :tup:

Too right! I'm not a producer, but if someone ripped one of my rare records from my mixtape to play it themselves, I'd be pissed-off too. I went hunting for it, it's in my bag.

moyo wilde
02-27-2012, 07:37 AM
so if big dj "so & so" (actually a cool dj name if no one has used it) played your edit you'd be pissed? and if this is true why would you put stuff on the internet if it is that hot somebody somewhere is gonna do it? (not saying your tracks aren't hot).

in all actuality, i'd be happy somebody played my song/edit/whatever, in this new day and age it is how one gets ahead. get your name your sound out there. it is the 21st century things are done differently. like i said if it has a drop that isn't interuptive to the track i leave it be.

secondly these are not i repeat not those kinds of mixes.

in the end to each his own though.

Ellissentials
02-27-2012, 08:03 AM
so if big dj "so & so" (actually a cool dj name if no one has used it) played your edit you'd be pissed?

I don't give 2 shits... without permission it's truly invasive. I don't care if it's _________ (insert whoever) You do not rip from someones mix.... if ANYTHING contact them and try to get permissions to use it. If it's a PROPER big DJ, most of the time they won't fuck you by not asking first.. and if they do, it's just absolutely wrong.

moyo wilde
02-27-2012, 08:48 AM
you're awfully angry.

what's with all the profanity?

you know what i am out peace. got no time for internet tough guys.

rchecka
02-27-2012, 10:46 AM
you're awfully angry.

what's with all the profanity?

I don't blame him one bit for being dumbstruck by this and pissed off, it's that incomprehensible.
Think about it, he's a DJ.

you know what i am out peace. got no time for internet tough guys.

Can't take the heat, get out the kitchen.

Scenerio: A True Story

Question: How do I jack from another DJs mixtape?

Response: WTF are you serious?

Outcome:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-uxUTwNohQe4/TybF89H8yQI/AAAAAAAABHA/E0APe2aFgso/s1600/MontyPythonRunAway.jpg

By the way, I started this same exact poll on another music forum. That forum doesn't know about this discussion.

Right now it's 19 against 2 for and that gap will grow. The results shouldn't surprise anyone. Diggers With Gratitude (http://forum.diggerswithgratitude.com/showthread.php?11887-Question-for-the-DJs-Is-it-Ok-to-take-songs-of-another-DJs-mixtape-for-your-mixtape)

Ellissentials
02-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Internet tough guys?

:shrug:

Sigma
02-27-2012, 11:01 AM
By the way, I started this same exact poll on another music forum. That forum doesn't know about this discussion.

Right now it's 19 against 2 for and that gap will grow. The results shouldn't surprise anyone. Diggers With Gratitude (http://forum.diggerswithgratitude.com/showthread.php?11887-Question-for-the-DJs-Is-it-Ok-to-take-songs-of-another-DJs-mixtape-for-your-mixtape)
Go Internet warrior, go!

This reply in that thread sums it up for me though: -

I would argue that its all about context - if nicking a skit - bit of music - whatever - adds to the overall quality/artistry of the mix as a whole then go for it - Its Hip Hop - the whole genre is built on nicking other peoples music and messing around with it. If it just because you thought some other DJ had a great idea and you wholesale transplant it over - then that's cheating really I guess. I prefer to use stuff I have on vinyl but if you limit it to that - to some extent you are going to limit the creativity of the mix because you might need to drop something that fits perfectly but you just cant find anywhere else.

The Judge
02-27-2012, 11:11 AM
I don't blame him one bit for being dumbstruck by this and pissed off, it's that incomprehensible.
Think about it, he's a DJ.

Can't take the heat, get out the kitchen.

Scenerio: A True Story

Question: How do I jack from another DJs mixtape?

Response: WTF are you serious?

Outcome:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-uxUTwNohQe4/TybF89H8yQI/AAAAAAAABHA/E0APe2aFgso/s1600/MontyPythonRunAway.jpg

I don't know if people are misunderstanding by accident or being ignorant on purpose. The OP was not talking about taking another DJ/producer's personal creation. He was talking about cutting a track from a mixtape that could not be obtained anywhere else. He wasn't talking about taking some cuts or skits from another mix either. I'm not blaming you, but you didn't clarify that point in your thread on that other forum. I think that makes a huge difference. Reading some of the responses a fair few don't even know what the real question is. Even though the vote is 19 to 2, the posts in that thread are far from equivocal.

Now what would you say to that Biggie hypothetical I posted earlier? Post that on the other forum and canvas opinion too. I mean it's all for the sake of discussion, right? I can see where people are coming from but I think it's much ado about nothing.

rchecka
02-27-2012, 11:13 AM
^again, this...

It doesn't matter it's exclusive and it doesn't exist anywhere else or if it's a dollar bin hit. Twist in a few more factors, none of that matters, its all DJ Biting.

rchecka
02-27-2012, 11:19 AM
This reply in that thread sums it up for me though

Good job tracking down the one of 2 guys that agrees with you. How bout quoting the other 19 that thinks its a dirty little secret.

Christ, it's Monday, I gotta get to work. Why am I bothering with you?

The Judge
02-27-2012, 11:29 AM
^again, this...

Well if you're playing that game then all DJing is Artist Biting. Or no? I mean where is the line here? A DJ pulls one song from another DJs mix (i.e. a part of the whole work) and he's a biter, but a DJ uses an artist's whole song (the whole work) and he's good to do that? Similarly with sampling - what's the difference? A producer taking a part of a track that another producer has produced. I mean you can't just pull some 'rules' out of some imaginary rulebook and then dismiss everyone. What's the rationale? What is the difference?

Nineteen guys agreeing with you in an ambiguous poll proves nothing.

rchecka
02-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Theres nothing ambiguous about the poll. I made it clear, just as this poll is, It's a black and white issue. It only becomes ambiguous when people start throwing in what if questions.

What if it's a skit? What if it's a remix that isn't available any where else? What if its from a cassette?

None of that matters because the questions get the same answer each time... "Is it from another DJ's mix, yes or no?" If it's not from another DJs mix, it's irrelevant and doesn't constitute DJ biting.
People can imagine as many "what if" questions as they want, it's still a yes or no question.

If there is a person that thinks it's ok 2 percent of the time in the scenerio that it's a skit, it's still a yes or no question so they should answer it as a black and white issue, there is no confusion there.

I could say: Do you think abortion is right?
A. yes
B. no

or I could say:

Do you think abortion is right?
A. always
B. only when a woman is raped
C. never

I could start the poll like that with 10 different answers, but it doesn't have to be confusing if you boil it down to a yes or no. Your either on one side of the fence or the other, if you are in the middle, one leg is gonna hang over the fence more on one side then the other, so you choose that side as your vote. We can discuss all the scenerios where it might be right or where it might be wrong but the question remains right there in black and white. If you don't feel like the question can be answered with a simple yes or no, that's fine, anyone can comment accordingly but technically they'd be undecided and don't need to vote on such a black and white issue.

Undecided is a wasted vote and never helps anyone, voters should pick a side or not vote. I can't make that any clearer if I tried.

If source = another DJs finished mix then...
A. right
B. wrong.

Sigma
02-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Good job tracking down the one of 2 guys that agrees with you. How bout quoting the other 19 that thinks its a dirty little secret.
What do those guys think about what the guy I quoted said? Particularly this part: -

Its Hip Hop - the whole genre is built on nicking other peoples music and messing around with it
Or perhaps they're like you and conveniently ignore every mention of that when it's raised.

The Judge
02-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Theres nothing ambiguous about the poll. I made it clear, just as this poll is, It's a black and white issue. It only becomes ambiguous when people start throwing in what if questions.

What if it's a skit? What if it's a remix that isn't available any where else? What if its from a cassette?

None of that matters because the questions get the same answer each time... "Is it from another DJ's mix, yes or no?" If it's not from another DJs mix, it's irrelevant and doesn't constitute DJ biting.
People can imagine as many "what if" questions as they want, it's still a yes or no question.

etc.

If source = another DJs finished mix then...
A. right
B. wrong.

You talk about others going off on tangents and then you run with one sentence I said and ignore the rest?

By not fully explaining the scenario, you allowed people to run with situations their minds conjured up. You didn't pose the question that is being debated here. It completely colours the responses made. I'm sure a lot of the peeps who answered haven't even considered what the situation is if the record can't be sourced anywhere else.

Now back to the point you ignored - what about sampling? How is that different?

rchecka
02-27-2012, 12:47 PM
^Are you asking How is sampling different from jacking DJs?

DjDisArm
02-27-2012, 12:52 PM
okay check this out... im thinking he was talking about a track like this... for example
like there wont be another version released cause it might just be featured by a no name rapper so he might not be able to hear it anywhere else but the original album which would be 'nothin but slap vol 5'

http://youtu.be/JtE74QkfkEc

DJ Boom Bap
02-27-2012, 01:44 PM
There are two totally different arguments going on here: Sampling and Jacking a song. They are totally different, I don't believe there is a grey area.

Sampling: Taking pieces (samples) of someone else's work and making something different with it, creating something of your own.

Jacking: Taking someone else's song and making it your own.

The original post about the mixtape jacking, to me falls under jacking. Editing out the drops or whatever, making your own edit/mix and treating it like your own is not cool.

Let's say I'm making a mixtape of Detroit artists and I commission Guilty Simpson to do a song for said mixtape. I make the beat, a beat that I made from samples I took from a Bob Seger record, then pay Guilty to spit over it. I spend time and money to get this song made, then put it out. I take the time to add a drop or two, because that's the only recognition I'll get, and juggle the intro. The reason I did all of this was to promote myself as a DJ/Producer in hopes that it will help get my name out there, and perhaps set me apart from other DJs.

Here comes along DJ_________ who really likes the song, but can't find a version of the track without the juggle and drops, so he decides to throw that song into Live or Audacity and edit my stuff out. Then puts it on a mix of his own. This DJ didn't try to contact me or Guilty to obtain the original track w/o the drops, he just jacked it. This DJ has a following online, and people start to associate this DJ with my track, because I was edited out.

I don't have a right to be pissed and think that is wrong? Bullshit.

Sigma
02-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Taking pieces (samples) of someone else's work and making something different with it, creating something of your own.
That's basically what a DJ mix is too.

I don't have a right to be pissed and think that is wrong? Bullshit.
Yeah, you do have that right. How is that different from Clyde Stubblefield having the right to be pissed and think it's wrong that tons of hip-hop records sampled his beats without so much as a "thanks!" on the back of the record sleeve, never mind paying him any cash?

Now, you can say that that's wrong too, but you can't say that if you have any records like that in your collection, cos by buying them you are advocating the same attitudes that you're condemning here.

Because I said that I would sample from anywhere, including from another DJ's mix, all of a sudden I'm being portrayed as some microwave DJ n00b. I stand by what I said 100%, even though I have never sampled from another DJ's mix because I have never needed to. If a certain situation arose, I would though. I'm not buying all of this "you have to own it on vinyl" bullshit one bit. That's dinosaur mentality. But the reason rchecka hasn't once addressed the question of hip-hop producers ripping off other artists is because he knows there isn't a good rebuttal to it. All you can say is "the pieces they're taking are smaller", but that's like saying it's OK to steal $1, but not $100,000. Theft is theft. It's black and white. No middle-ground, just like the poll here. ;)

The Judge
02-27-2012, 02:12 PM
If anything 'biting' a song from someone else's mixtape is less reprehensible than sampling. Through 'biting' you're taking a work that the other DJ has done nothing to but play, provided you get it clean of any drops, cuts and blends. We're not necessarily talking about a track that the DJ has produced/commissioned, people. When you sample someone else's work, you're actually using their creative art. Admittedly in both situations you can argue you're screwing the original artist but that isn't the issue here.

DJ Boom Bap
02-27-2012, 02:23 PM
:facepalm:

Do what you do.....

Sigma
02-27-2012, 02:39 PM
:facepalm:

Do what you do.....
But what is the difference?

I sample a song that you wrote and recorded. I use the sample to make my own record, which sells well and I make money out of it, but I don't give you any of it nor do I say "I sampled this from DJ Boom Bap".

I take a song that you made from one of your mixes and play it in one of my mixes. People associate that track with me cos I'm more well known than you.

Why is the second example worse than the first for you? Cos the first example happened plenty of times in hip-hop. If you say "I refuse to buy any tracks like that" then fine, but who does that? If anything, a more well known DJ making your entire track known to people would be good for you, cos when the poll question says "claim it as yours" it doesn't mean that I lie and say "I made this song!".

DJ Boom Bap
02-27-2012, 03:22 PM
The second example is worse for me, because the song is still the same, not a new song. If you sample it and make it another song, that's another song.
If you want to rip a track from a mix, loop it, chop it, add drums and more bass, a horn sample whatever and REMIX it, I got no problem, its a new song. If you just edit out my drops, I'm gonna have a problem with that. That's the difference between jacking and sampling. It's kinda like the sync button, can you use it yes, should you use it?

If copyrights are involved and you don't pay who needs to be paid, and you get busted, then thats a risk you take with either option.

What you do I'm cool with, you make it your own. Would you appreciate me taking your juggled/looped/remixed track that you spent time making your own, and have me just mix in the Sigma edit, and in the track lists I just put the name of the song or (Remix)?

Sigma
02-27-2012, 03:25 PM
I don't see how a bigger name DJ making your song more well known is worse for you than someone taking part of your track, making their own track, then not crediting nor paying you anything.

rchecka
02-27-2012, 03:26 PM
The second example is worse for me, because the song is still the same, not a new song. If you sample it and make it another song, that's another song.
If you want to rip a track from a mix, loop it, chop it, add drums and more bass, a horn sample whatever and REMIX it, I got no problem, its a new song. If you just edit out my drops, I'm gonna have a problem with that. That's the difference between jacking and sampling. It's kinda like the sync button, can you use it yes, should you use it?

^Boom Bap got it down to a T. You are right on point B.

If copyrights are involved and you don't pay who needs to be paid, and you get busted, then thats a risk you take with either option.

Especially on point w/ this.

Sigma
02-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Boom Bap got it down to a T. You are right on point B.
ORLY: -

If you want to rip a track from a mix, loop it, chop it, add drums and more bass, a horn sample whatever and REMIX it, I got no problem, it's a new song.
So he's right on point, even though he's saying that there ARE times when you can cut something out of a mix and use it, as it depends what you do with it? You boys really need to think before you post.

rchecka
02-27-2012, 03:42 PM
So he's right on point, even though he's saying that there ARE times when you can cut something out of a mix and use it, as it depends what you do with it? You boys really need to think before you post.

He's talking about sampling and production not masking a completed song as his own. I know the difference, he knows the difference, and so do you. He's on point.

Sigma
02-27-2012, 03:45 PM
He's talking about sampling and production not masking a completed song as his own. I know the difference, he knows the difference, and so do you. He's on point.
Haha, now this is fucking back-pedalling!

One minute it's "own every track on vinyl or you're a poser", then you're co-signing a guy who says that there ARE circumstances where chopping shit out of a mix is acceptable.

Clown shoes.

DJ Boom Bap
02-27-2012, 03:49 PM
ORLY: -

Yes, exactly. This poll is about taking a song and claiming it as your own. If you fucks with the song and make it a new song (remix), I have no problem where or how you got the original. But if all you do is edit out a drop and label it as your own, that's wack.

DJ Boom Bap
02-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Haha, now this is fucking back-pedalling!

One minute it's "own every track on vinyl or you're a poser", then you're co-signing a guy who says that there ARE circumstances where chopping shit out of a mix is acceptable.

Clown shoes.

I don't own any records anymore, it's not about stuff being on vinyl. It's about ethics and showing respect to fellow DJs.

If you can make my song better go ahead. If you take my song edit out my drop and say it's yours, you're not cool with me.

rchecka
02-27-2012, 04:02 PM
Sigma you keep on deflecting the topic off base and it's not helping you.
Do you think no one will know you are trying to change the subject?
It's the worst possible way to debate, you can't even defend yourself any longer so you are trying to muddy the waters. It's still see through.
Not once was this topic or the other topic ever about sampling music to create new music, you can admit that.
Go back again and reread the poll and the original post by moya and come back when you are ready to talk about DJ Biting. This is clearly about DJs biting DJs, NOT producers biting DJs.

RDRCK
02-27-2012, 04:06 PM
I voted yes, because I don't think it really matters, in this life or the next.

Sigma
02-27-2012, 04:15 PM
This poll is about taking a song and claiming it as your own.
What do you mean by "claiming it as your own"? Like if I took your remix and said that I made it? Cos I don't think that's what the poll is about.

Using a track in a mix that you've bought should not equate to "making it your own". You're using another artist's music without their permission the vast majority of the time, cos buying it does not give you the right to mix it, remix it, sample it or whatever and then distribute it for free. It's some honour amongst thieves shit and you know how that goes.

If I made a song of my own and used it in a mix and some other DJ took it, remixed it, but in my opinion they made it sound like shit, then I would be less happy about that than if they'd just taken and used the tune as it is. The music comes first to me.

If I sample your track and don't credit you as the originator of the sample, then I am still claiming your work as my own though.

Sigma you keep on deflecting the topic off base and it's not helping you.
Oh it is, cos you just co-signed using another part of a DJ's mix in your work in certain circumstances, when previously you said it was NEVER acceptable. Stealing is only acceptable when rchecka says so! We get that! If I post a complex multitracked mixtape intro that I made, what would you call it? It's DJing/sampling/production/remixing rolled into one, so then presumably you're cool with me jacking a part of a DJ's mixtape to make it as you co-signed Boom Bap saying exactly that. Your question is not as black and white as you seem to think it is.

DJ Boom Bap
02-27-2012, 04:31 PM
We are going in circles:zany:

RDRCK is right, it doesn't really matter, people are going to do what they are going to do. (But I don't have to like it)

I'm agreeing to disagree. We could go on forever, it's like the Sync Button, Mac vs. PC. Digital vs. Vinyl.

The Judge
02-27-2012, 04:37 PM
What the deuce? I'm with Sigma. I don't think Moyo's thread was about at all. He wasn't trying to take a track and say he made it or commissioned it. He just wanted it for his mix. As far as I'm concerned, if he attributed it to the DJ who had it exclusively, fair play. Rchecka got it all twisted I think. But he claims that even using a track from another DJ's set is biting even if you don't claim it as your own. We are talking about DJs who play another artists track, not their own production. Why is this so hard to understand?

If you play another person's song, even if it's in your own mix, you don't own copyright for the track. You own copyright for the mix but not the track. If the track 'bitten' is one of two in a mix, then it will be considered a substantial part and potentially invoke copyright laws, although it will be damn hard to argue. If it's one of thirty, it's not substantial at all - it will be hard to show misappropriation. Either way, you can be screwed for sampling, just as you can for taking a whole song.

How can you get butt-hurt over someone using a song to which you don't even have copyright in the first place though? If you got sole rights of distribution, then ok, I can see the gripe. But even then, if someone uses the track and gets your permission, it's not cool? Or if they can't get hold of you, they attribute you - that's also not cool?

moyo wilde
02-27-2012, 11:14 PM
in all actuality i just want to toss it on at parties.

if i made a mixtape i would credit the artist and the dj sure i would put his/her name on it. the particular song is produced by somebody else and the dj used it. the dj just faded one song to another like itunes while he shouts himself out. like i also said i have no problem leaving a drop in if it is tasteful and works with the track, so the dj would get his proper respect.

the other song, which the op is also about, i wanted to use is a singer who covered a rapper's song it is just low quality (192) mp3. she can't sell it isn't her song, it is a cover.

it is a new day & age scouring is the new digging.

Jaybrown
03-02-2012, 11:47 AM
I said no .. And I DO fully understand the question in its entirety . I said it in the original argument , and I'll say it again , the tracks in question are exclusive to that mix tape for a reason , and should stay that way .

jazzyj
03-02-2012, 11:52 AM
I have played some DJ mixes at weddings before... but if anyone asks ZOMG what mix was that - I show em/tell em and give full credit to whoever :) esp Liam Keegan cuz he's my dude, but I don't think y'all really care about some wedding DJ playing your mix at a wedding in Kentucky esp if we telling who's mix it is.

Dj Real 2009
03-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Be careful here thought. MY OPINION ONLY. I'll give you an example. Some artists with have mixtapes mixed by dj's. I used Rapper Big Pooh as an Example before. Another one that comes to mind is Thee Tom Hardy which was done by Green Lantern. Now...They also released a "NO Dj" Version for those that just want the tracks. Fair game on those.