PDA

View Full Version : Moving heads mounting options

Animal223
04-12-2013, 08:52 PM
Hello,
I'm about to buy a couple of moving head fixtures for my mobile DJ setup, and wanted to get your thoughts on mounting options. I was thinking of hanging them on a lighting T-bar, in order to make setup and take-down easier (I'm a one-man show and sometimes there is not time or space to set up a truss). I also have some wash lighting that's on another tripod.

I know some here have fabricated stands using a tripod and speaker mount adapter. I would not be opposed to that set up, and having one light on each side would probably be more interesting, but I was concerned that with the fixtures oriented up, the lights will spend more time pointing away from the dance floor. Am I wrong in that line of thinking?

My goal is to have an adequate setup for parties and weddings, with a minimal, clean look.

Thanks for any suggestions and advice you can provide!

Jared

djscrizzle
04-13-2013, 02:59 AM
Have you considered totems? They're composed of a base plate, a stick of truss, and the top plate, with the fixture bolted to that plate.

Totems look VERY clean, and can be uplit with an Slimline type LED Par fixture, and can be sleeved w/ white lycra or similar fabric if you'd like to hide the truss but have the Totem look.

BillESC
04-13-2013, 08:00 AM
Which fixtures are you considering? Depending upon the fixture, there are multiple mounting options available.

Animal223
04-13-2013, 08:45 AM
Which fixtures are you considering? Depending upon the fixture, there are multiple mounting options available.

Hi Bill,
I'm going to go with the two Torrent F3's you quoted me last week. Just wanted to make sure I had a good way to position them, hopefully without adding too much extra weight to my setup, before pulling the trigger.

Thanks!

Jared
Shooting Star Entertainment, LLC

DJzrule
04-13-2013, 09:55 AM
Whether they point at the sky is based on your programming. Especially with a fixture lik the F3, you have so many features to utilize for a light show, so you might as well make them pop by programming your pan and tilt to be in a range that covers your audience, not the ceiling.

Synaxis
04-15-2013, 06:55 PM
I know some here have fabricated stands using a tripod and speaker mount adapter. I would not be opposed to that set up, and having one light on each side would probably be more interesting, but I was concerned that with the fixtures oriented up, the lights will spend more time pointing away from the dance floor. Am I wrong in that line of thinking?

If you're not programming them, most moving heads have an option to allow you to set pan and tilt ranges, allowing the fixtures to stay within a defined area. Although, yes, you are right to assume that hanging the heads upside down will provide better coverage, however, that only works well if you can get them high enough. I personally prefer the two on each side, upright look, especially since most venue are disallowing haze. I think gobos projected onto ceiling where people can see them are more interesting than gobos projected onto the floor and guests' faces.

Animal223
04-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Thanks, guys, I appreciate the feedback. Right now truss to do totems is out of my budget, but I may look to do something similar and just program the pan/tilt to stay in a reasonable range.