PDA

View Full Version : Best laptops for DJing

ash2k12
02-25-2012, 10:19 AM
hi

i was wondering what the best make of laptops are when it comes to DJing

Era 7
02-25-2012, 10:27 AM
depends what OS you wanna use. for windows ASUS is pretty much one of the best brands. on the apple side....well there is not moch choice :lol: all MBPs will do.

EDIT: i'm using a Sony VAJO and it works fine for me with Serato.

moyo wilde
02-25-2012, 11:09 AM
grabs popcorn and waits for the apple vs. pc clusterf@<k.

i have a mac served me well, 5 years stable, until i spilled a cup of ice tea on the keyboard. still works stable enough for at home, but i wouldn't take it out. pc's are cool, but i am nowhere near computer savvy enough (i know pretty much nothing) to keep my pc running smoothly or make it sleek enough with all the crap that came with it.

LiteTrix
02-25-2012, 11:11 AM
MacBook Pro

Estacy
02-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Apple laptops are very fool proof and don't need maintenance to run very stable. you could make a windows pc run just as stable, but it would take a lot of tuning and maintenance

Hausgeist
02-25-2012, 11:14 AM
grabs popcorn and waits for the apple vs. pc clusterf@<k.

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a415/DJ_Hausgeist/deinfamous.gif

B3NNY
02-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Macbook pro's to be safe. If you're stuck on windows PC's then yea I had an Asus that always treated me good, ADK laptops are supposed to be nuts for all audio http://www.adkproaudio.com/laptop3.asp but they are basically as expensive as a Apple, Elitebook's are also awesome. I have an Elitebook, it's tremendous for production, doesnt break a sweat DJ'n, and it's built like a tank. They start around 800-900 for a 15.6", but they have smaller.

Sigma
02-25-2012, 12:41 PM
I was gonna say "in before someone mentions lots of tuning and maintenance for Windows" but someone already has. :facepalm:

All we need now is an "I went from a $300 Dell laptop to a Macbook Pro that cost $1,200 and guess what, the Macbook was better!!" post and we've covered most of the bases, lol.

NuDJ
02-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Traktor S4 user here… I tried SONY, HP, Lenovo, Toshiba, Dell (i5 core or i7 core) with windows 7 professional edition and machines were fully or partially config'ed for sound performance… None of them worked as smooth as any of the the MBP 15"s i am currently using. Running on Lion now with zero issue. I believe leopard is better as the machines ran cooler and stay very cool after long usage.

I would vote for MacBook Pro over Windows OS laptop any day.

deejayjsin
02-26-2012, 05:49 AM
Can someone make an "Official Laptop Comparison" thread or something of that nature so we don't have this whole Mac Vs PC thing over and over again...http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080202231027/uncyclopedia/images/archive/1/11/20080202231407!Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Synergy
02-26-2012, 07:22 AM
It depends on what you can afford, get the best computer for the price.

I had a desktop that I thought was the shit but it had some trouble with Traktor, it died on me and I wanted the best thing I could get and something that was going to last, I got a Macbook Pro and I am satisfied with it. I use it for school, net, and djing. I don't game on it, I don't download un needed music or movies or anything like that. Have a dedicated machine, that will help.

JuxtaPoser
02-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Can we all just accept that Macs are better?

http://s-ak.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/web05/2011/3/18/1/enhanced-buzz-15854-1300424464-1.jpg

Phil Noize
02-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Can we all just accept that Macs are better?

Oh dear.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/DeepJoy/broken-record.jpg

Sigma
02-26-2012, 02:32 PM
I was helping a Mac owning friend of mine get everything set up to do multitrack recording last week.

The first thing he couldn't do was monitor the sound via line in. After Googling it, it seems that Apple removed this functionality from OS 9 to OS X so he had to install this: -

LineIn is a simple application for OS X to enable the soft playthru of audio from input devices. In simpler terms, you can use LineIn to play sound coming in through a microphone or any other device plugged in to your Sound In port, just as was once available with OS 9's "Play input through output device" option.
http://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/

That worked, except he had huge latency issues (more on that later).

Next he wanted to know how to do stereo mix recording. On Windows this is easy - select "stereo mix". On a Mac, well, another app was required and a bunch of configuration, as detailed here: -

http://www.shedosurashu.com/stereo-mix-for-mac-os-x

So now he just had to deal with his massive latency issues, so he ended up asking for advice on my forum and another Mac user drew him this diagram of how to set up his gear: -

http://i.imgur.com/e4lJb.jpg

He had to use the effect send on his mixer as an output, then compensate for the recording latency in Reaper (the multitrack software he's using).

And while all of this discussion was going on, just one thing was going through my mind: -

Macs are better for media!!
:lol:

But oddly enough, I have had no issues like this on my Windows box which "just works" for multitrack recording and without "tons of tweaking and optimising".

Unknown DJ
02-26-2012, 07:23 PM
Panasonic Tough book /Thread

ReelDiel
02-26-2012, 07:36 PM
well i have 4 $300 Dell's, and their better then my mac :)

KLH
02-27-2012, 07:43 AM
:banghead: I said it before and I'll say it again...

DON'T USE A COMPUTER IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO MAINTAIN IT!

Use what you like to use AND learn how to maintain it. If you know how to do both, then it won't matter which OS you use.

-KLH

ReelDiel
02-27-2012, 10:47 AM
^^^ agreed I bought my wife and i 2 toshibas 4 years or so ago. I use mine daily for internet, pictures, back up at gigs etc etc. It still works like the day I bought it. I keep it really well maintained, my wifes is a joke she has so much shit its always locking up etc because like a typicall woman, just drive it until the wheels fall off, or the engine siezes!!!

danthedj
02-27-2012, 01:26 PM
:banghead: I said it before and I'll say it again...

DON'T USE A COMPUTER IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO MAINTAIN IT!

Use what you like to use AND learn how to maintain it. If you know how to do both, then it won't matter which OS you use.

-KLH

/thread :stupid:

punky
02-27-2012, 02:38 PM
I was helping a Mac owning friend of mine get everything set up to do multitrack recording last week.

The first thing he couldn't do was monitor the sound via line in. After Googling it, it seems that Apple removed this functionality from OS 9 to OS X so he had to install this: -

http://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/

That worked, except he had huge latency issues (more on that later).

Next he wanted to know how to do stereo mix recording. On Windows this is easy - select "stereo mix". On a Mac, well, another app was required and a bunch of configuration, as detailed here: -

http://www.shedosurashu.com/stereo-mix-for-mac-os-x

So now he just had to deal with his massive latency issues, so he ended up asking for advice on my forum and another Mac user drew him this diagram of how to set up his gear: -

http://i.imgur.com/e4lJb.jpg

He had to use the effect send on his mixer as an output, then compensate for the recording latency in Reaper (the multitrack software he's using).

And while all of this discussion was going on, just one thing was going through my mind: -

:lol:

But oddly enough, I have had no issues like this on my Windows box which "just works" for multitrack recording and without "tons of tweaking and optimising".

Why didn't your friend just use a decent sound interface? It sounds like he was trying to use the onboard sound, which is almost always a recipe for disaster.

Sigma
02-27-2012, 02:45 PM
He was using an interface recommended by people on here.

punky
02-27-2012, 02:47 PM
No shit. Which interface?

DJAkash
02-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Brand shouldn't be your question, to some degree to be fair, I use a vaio, I know exactly how to keep mine in perfect function I usually am using only 4% of my CPU. While watching multiple youtube videos and hulu videos I max out around 10% of CPU. Serato, and VDJ FLstudio only put my laptop at 30% CPU use. my ram is usually is on 50% during my most demanding computer use.

Defragment, organize, and use an external to store your music, and only your hard drive for songs you will use at a gig, Techno is usually not used so I keep the Gb's of techno on the external.

peterwo2e
02-27-2012, 05:58 PM
if you totally don't know shit about computers go for the mac. my gateway laptop lasted 8 years on me the screen went out. i have now a lenovo edge one year now one single problem running serato mp3 and video. the funny thing is on the gateway i had to tune it and tweak it for music(win xp) on the lenovo edge i did nothing to it out the box no tweaking one year with one freeze during warm up when i first bought it. if you want to be one of those elite apple guys just buy a apple sticker..lol this is another topic that will never end..

VjQue
02-27-2012, 06:13 PM
He was using an interface recommended by people on here. That's probably why.

You get hundreds of answer's and 99% aren't right.

Just like this post on Mac & PC. its always Mac's are better or

My PC lasted 8 years.

But are they on the same software as you.

I was on PC for years but it was ok for Audio but I had to tweak the shit out of it.

Then came video mixing, And that PC would not cut it. I brought every high end laptop and nothing worked took them all back.

Fast forward to a 2007 Macbook pro 2.0ghz and 2 gb memory with 160gb harddrive. Ran vsl video without a hiccup.

all the PC'S murdered the mac in spec's wise. but performance they sucked.

Times my PC would shut down @ A Gig. The Promoter said I can Have you spinning at my club and this shit happens. Next day Brought A Mac and never looked back.

P.S. 1 Thing Is I Never Ask What Laptop Is Better For DJ'ing.

I saw Dj's with Mac's and was like ok they shit works with no issues.

End Result Now I Have 3 Macbook Pro's

2x 15" Unibody Pro's 2011 & 2010
1x 13" Unibody Pro's 2011

The 2007 Is Installed At A Motorcycle Club Thats Been There For 1 1/2 years.

Phil Noize
02-28-2012, 07:29 AM
:facepalm:

jazzyj
02-28-2012, 07:40 AM
lol I'm surprised we never see the argument that we should trash all of our PCs and Macs and DJ without computers :) I guess the vinyl folks don't venture into the Digital forum much lol :squint:

de.j.l
02-29-2012, 08:37 AM
if its up to spec, doesn't crash.. work with it.

when I had an s4, I used a plain old macbook with it. 2.2 ghz duo core 6 gigs of ram. Ran perfectly fine.

mostapha
02-29-2012, 10:22 AM
All we need now is an "I went from a $300 Dell laptop to a Macbook Pro that cost $1,200 and guess what, the Macbook was better!!" post and we've covered most of the bases, lol.

Can't help you there, but I went from a $2,000 ThinkPad to an $1800 MacBook and the Macbook was better.

lol I'm surprised we never see the argument that we should trash all of our PCs and Macs and DJ without computers :) I guess the vinyl folks don't venture into the Digital forum much lol :squint:

I actually specifically want to do that, but it's just a simplicity thing. I'm probably not going to be able to afford to do it for a long time.

Chay
02-29-2012, 07:49 PM

Don't forget about the guys with CDJs! :P

whiterob
03-01-2012, 01:37 PM
OK, so lets change it up a bit.. I have had many PC issues with audio latency (actually have a thread going for help on it) but say I did want to get a Mac and am on a tight budget.. What is the lowest mac a guy should look at to have a stable machine without audio dropouts etc (using external SC obviously)

generation?
processor?
ram?
etc?

I have been a Mac hater for a long time, as the old stuff I used to use was junk, but have since had one Mac Pro (whatever the tower is) and the thing rocked.. So now wanting to buy a second hand Mac to give it a go.

nolimitz
03-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Anything with an I series Intel processor i.e i3, i5 and i7, the i5 and i7 is highly recommended tho, at least 4gb of ram, 6gb would be better and 500gb of hard drive space. A dedicated graphics processor is recommended too. Serato doesnt work well with AMD processors. If you're on a budget then it makes no sense to go for a Mac Book Pro.

moyo wilde
03-02-2012, 04:01 AM
got pc problems, going to make a thread hopefully somebody here can help. it makes my head hurt. the one advantage os has over win is that as far as i know you don't need drivers for devices on macs, just plug and go. windows on the other hand oh well, maybe it 's me, i hope so.

FCruzDJ
03-02-2012, 10:31 PM
I've used both Mac and PC.

PC is a Dell Inspiron running Vista Home Premium.

Honestly, the Dell has been a reliable machine since I got it.

Aside from VDJ, IE, and Denon Music Manager (for my HD2500), I've removed virtually every other program that came with it.
And the only time I connect it to Internet is for updates and maintenance.
Virus maintenance is via Trendmicro Housecall (free version) which is online scan only; no extra application installed.
For sanity reasons, I also have Malwarebytes (free version) that I run every two weeks.

The only advice I can tell you regarding Windows is "lighter (meaning little or no bloatware) is better"
Keep what you need and ditch the rest. ;)

The only time I had to get drivers on my own were ASIO for my Maya44 USB card; and that's readily available.

Hope this helps! ;)

peterwo2e
03-03-2012, 07:27 AM
is like saying trash all cars and go back to the horse and buggy. Is not happening!!!!

hewzter
03-06-2012, 06:05 AM
I have used a Sony Vaio i3 laptop w/win7 since april-10 and it still havent crapped out on me one single time while using it for dj'ing (its all this laptop ever do) and I have been using it alot.
I almost paid up the 250 euro extra for a MBP because I was afraid of reliability issues with a PC/win7 but so far so good.

VjQue
03-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Ok on a mac and serato you wont have the issues your pc is having.

deejaygo
03-06-2012, 02:05 PM
I'm running a Macbook Pro 13 with 8GB ram with the older Core 2 Duo processor. I've been problem free for 3 years!

KLH
03-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Umm... didn't we answer this already?

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?2583-Which-is-better-Windows-or-MacOS

-KLH

l0ckd0wn
03-06-2012, 08:25 PM
you could make a windows pc run just as stable, but it would take a lot of tuning and maintenance

Care to elaborate on this without giving me some random link to "PC Optimization's for DJing?"

You get hundreds of answer's and 99% aren't right.

Like this next one:

Ok on a mac and serato you wont have the issues your pc is having.

What problem? The OP didn't have a problem, he just asked for a preference. Why did you invent a problem?

If you were talking about Sigma, his buddy was on a Mac using a 3rd party audio interface. Is it Apple's problem or the interface manufacturer? Same scenarios apply to Windows, yet, the Mac is better because you said so... Hmmm.

Not to mention, regardless of whether using a PC or Mac, the problems tend to be 99.9% created by the user, which would beg further explanation of your own issues you went on and on about; "None of the high end laptops I bought would cut it." You're doing it wrong...

Umm... didn't we answer this already?

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?2583-Which-is-better-Windows-or-MacOS

-KLH

Yeah I thought so too, looks like the circle jerk moved from the OT to the Equipment section.

VjQue
03-07-2012, 01:36 AM
Care to elaborate on this without giving me some random link to "PC Optimization's for DJing?"

Like this next one:

What problem? The OP didn't have a problem, he just asked for a preference. Why did you invent a problem?

If you were talking about Sigma, his buddy was on a Mac using a 3rd party audio interface. Is it Apple's problem or the interface manufacturer? Same scenarios apply to Windows, yet, the Mac is better because you said so... Hmmm.

Not to mention, regardless of whether using a PC or Mac, the problems tend to be 99.9% created by the user, which would beg further explanation of your own issues you went on and on about; "None of the high end laptops I bought would cut it." You're doing it wrong...

Yeah I thought so too, looks like the circle jerk moved from the OT to the Equipment section. I was speaking in general about PC problems for DJing.

That a mac wont have that problem.

Dont get me wrong PC's are good computers.

But not really for DJing unless you feel like tweaking it all the time changing hardware device's etc.

I know lots about PC and if I don't I got friends that are IT.

The Problem I had they would say since I'm not making money from you buy a Mac for djing.

No Need to keep bringing in your Gig laptop for repair.

Last time he got my laptop was in 2007 and after he said that I still didnt listen did a gig and the laptop shut off middle of the gig 5 time's. and the promoter was hot.

got that mac and been good ever since 2007

Incognito
03-07-2012, 02:05 AM
I was speaking in general about PC problems for DJing.

But not really for DJing unless you feel like tweaking it all the time changing hardware device's etc.

The Problem I had they would say since I'm not making money from you buy a Mac for djing.

Last time he got my laptop was in 2007 and after he said that I still didnt listen did a gig and the laptop shut off middle of the gig 5 time's. and the promoter was hot.

I use a gaming PC laptop for DJing, no need for any tweaks, tuning, maintenance, no issues, no failures, no crashes, just plug & play running Serato Itch 2.1.

There have been noted issues people using Macbooks as well just as there are noted cases of people having issues with PC laptops.

The common trend I see is people using low end $400 - $600 or so laptops that they want to use as a DJ laptop without taking into consideration system requirements & spec. They have issues with the laptop so they go out & replace this low end laptop with a cutting edge $1,400 or more Macbook Pro & then right off laptops as a whole but aren't making an apples to apples comparison.

This whole PC vs Mac issue is silly because it really comes down to system spec, I DJ alongside other DJs who use Macbook Pros & there is no difference between their systems performance or mines but I do have faster boot & load times (thanks to my 8gb of ram & my 256gb 6gb/sec SSD, overclocked 3.6Ghz i7, Windows 7 64 bit Pro) & in the end I spent far less ($1,100) then they did for their $2,500 (& above) macbook Pro of lesser spec.

Best thing is my laptop functions as my portable gaming rig while waiting for my gigs to start with the Mac guys just staring over my shoulder begging for a turn.....

Phil Noize
03-07-2012, 06:16 AM
I was speaking in general about PC problems for DJing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/DeepJoy/broken-record.jpg

mr.smashy
03-07-2012, 09:14 AM
I use a 3-year-old Thinkpad for DJing. I don't have it tweaked to fuck. I run Photoshop and Lightroom and use it as a mobile workstation. I also run Traktor Scratch Pro 2 on it. I don't have any problems. Maybe because I built my image from scratch and installed all my laptop drivers, and keep them up to date, and if I install software, I keep it up to date or I remove it. I'm a systems/network engineer and have been using Thinkpads for 10 years, so I guess I know a thing or two about how to make a Thinkpad run well, but I don't have to come up with bullshit scripts or hack the registry to get Traktor to run smoothly. My current Thinkpad is a Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of ram and a 500 GB WD Scorpio Black, not a powerful machine, but the faster IO helps hold it up.

I have no doubt Apple hardware is outstanding, but it doesn't seem any better than Thinkpad hardware to me, and both have optimized drivers. I'd say the same goes for Panasonic Toughbooks, however most models of Toughbook would be inappropriate for DJ use. As long as you are smart enough to turn off some graphic BS if you have an integrated graphics interface, and you can push a Win7 DVD or thumb drive into a laptop and then load drivers, you will have a machine that performs well for years.

The other advantage of being a Thinkpad user is they are semi-ruggedized. My laptop and Thinkpad before have both survived spills onto the keyboard; the keyboard is a tray that catches liquid and will either drain it through drain holes to the bottom of the laptop or allow you to pour off the liquid. In both cases the laptop was running and in both cases no damage was caused. I was able to order a replacement keyboard for my current laptop for $35 and install it myself because it was a Customer Replacement Unit. Complete service guides are available online and parts are available from Lenovo or from eBay. When my WXGA+ screen got smashed, I ordered the part off eBay for $135 and replaced it per the factory manual, saving hundreds of dollars versus a factory repair or a shady repair shop. What I'm getting at is the Thinkpad is an open platform, well documented, and if you are good with a screwdriver, you can fix simple to major hardware issues yourself. And it runs Windows 7 like a house on fire, so you don't need to tweak or dick around with your config to get performance out of it.

Sigma
03-07-2012, 11:17 AM
But Smashy! Your laptop doesn't have a glowing Apple on the back! How can you possibly look cool in the club?

mostapha
03-07-2012, 11:17 AM
I have no doubt Apple hardware is outstanding, but it doesn't seem any better than Thinkpad hardware to me

Before I switched to Apple, I exclusively use thinkpads. Maybe Lenovo is better than IBM at making laptops, but in my experience, thinkpads are a lot more fragile. I do still think they look better, though.

Phil Noize
03-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Fragile? ... I think not ... shamelessly stolen from Wikipedia ...

Industrial Design

NASA purchased more than 500 ThinkPad 750 laptops for flight qualification, software development, and crew training.
Laptops used aboard the space shuttle and International Space Station feature safety and operational improvements for the unique, weightless environment they must operate in.

The ThinkPad 750 flew aboard the Space Shuttle Endeavour during a mission to repair the Hubble Space Telescope on December 2, 1993. The ThinkPad 750C's task was to run a NASA test program which determined if radiation inherent in the space environment causes memory anomalies in the 750C or generates other unexpected problems.

Throughout 2006, a ThinkPad A31p was being used in the Service Module Central Post of the International Space Station and seven ThinkPad A31p laptops were in service in orbit aboard the International Space Station.

As of 2010, the Space Station was equipped with 68 ThinkPad A31 computers along with 32 Lenovo ThinkPad T61p laptops.

As an IT consultant myself, I too have a fair bit of experience with Macs & ThinkPads. They are all good. We all have our own preferences. I think this horse was dead some time ago.

mostapha
03-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Concerns in space are different from concerns in backpacks.

Phil Noize
03-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Concerns in space are different from concerns in backpacks.

I think that these ...
NASA purchased more than 500 ThinkPad 750 laptops for flight qualification, software development, and crew training. ... were probably subjected to plenty of backpack usage.

Whilst I appreciate that NASA will have had a contract for this, the initial selection of using ThinkPads will have been carefully thought out. My X200 regularly goes out all day with me in my backpack (& has been today).

mostapha
03-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Enh…maybe I just had a bad one, but my last thinkpad was falling apart after a year. I've had to replace screens and logic boards from damage/drops that didn't even make my Apples restart. My macbooks and MBP (which I've treated the same way or worse) have either been fine or been subjected to really ridiculous things that nothing would survive (like a car wreck).

To each his own, though. If I suddenly needed a computer that wasn't to be used for music, there's a good chance it'd be a thinkpad (running Linux and probably bought used to avoid the windows tax).

mr.smashy
03-07-2012, 08:45 PM
I do still think they look better, though.

Quotes single line, glosses over the rest of the post, I love it. So, pour any cups of tea into your running Apple laptops lately? Purchase any replacement keyboards for $35? Mine was OEM'd by ALPS and came in an IBM part box. I see Apple MBP keyboards that are Chinese OEM "Guaranteed to Meet or Exceed Original Specifications." for $60. Or you could go $6 a key. Is that what people call the "Apple tax"? But I mean, Apple sends their laptops into Space, they are bomb proof. Wait, no, NASA sends Lenovo laptops into space. Shit, this is all fucked up now.

Someone want's a high quality laptop. Lenovo makes ThinkPads that are semi-ruggidized, can survive a drink spill (this happened to me twice), have a magnesium chassis, and NASA chose them for use on earth and in space. If you break it, you can get parts cheap and easy to fix it if it's out of warranty. And mostapha thinks they look better. Someone call Lenovo and tell them to put a glowing thingy on their laptops so DJs will buy them.

mostapha
03-07-2012, 10:25 PM
No, someone call Lenovo and tell them to make them run a real OS that also runs real Music software…which OS X is the only current option for.

Or someone tell Microsoft that they need to write a real-time kernel, a driverless audio/midi spec, that they need to actually follow ieee1394 and usb standards instead of making manufacturers bend to their whims, to give the OS a real shell, and to write APIs that are actually the least bit legible……and we'll talk.

I use Apple only because things like Serato, Maschine, Logic/Pro Tools/Reason, etc. aren't available for Linux…and low-latency Linux audio is made out of some kind of solidified version of the Platoinic ideal of a headache. If those issues were fixed, I'd switch back in half a heartbeat.

Believe me, Apple gets on my nerves at least as much as yours, and I'm terrified that they're going to stop being so positive on the whole computer music/video thing…mostly because more and more people are using Windows for that and they screwed up so badly with Final Cut Pro X that the "pro" upgrade path from FCP9 was to Avid Studio.

But the alternative–to me–isn't Lenovo with Windows. I'd rather give up. The alternative is vinyl that costs more than food, CDJs that cost more than a Mac Pro, and a studio that costs more than a house.

I use Apple because it's cheap. And I get fed up and throw them across a room or out off 3rd floor balconies only to not touch a computer for over a week a lot less since I stopped using Windows. (If you see gaps in my posting…it's usually because I've thrown my computer at something hard and don't want to turn it back on for a few days so it can think about what it did).

And, yes…I've done that with Thinkpads, Macbooks, and Macbook Pros…and Apples survive that kind of abuse a lot better than Thinkpads. Most of the time, the Apples don't even shut off. Never done it to a PC without destroying the screen, the hard drive, or dislodging components from the logic board. Worst damage to an apple was having to re-seat a monitor cable.

Also…uhh……just thinking about not having to touch a computer to do music has me with a ridiculous hard on. The reason I haven't bought PT 10 yet is because I'm honestly wondering if that money isn't better spent on a Zoom R24.

I can't wait 'till the day I give up and actually buy a couple synths, a machinedrum, an octatrack, a GS-R24M, an HD24xr, and a couple compressors……and take a fucking baseball bat to my computers.

I like forums, and I love having the whole world's knowledge at my fingertips………but really my Apple fanboyism is just saying that OS X makes me rage the least. And it ain't because I don't know what I'm doing. It's because when you know enough about computers that you start actually thinking in code…it sucks the fucking life out of you.

I need to go have a cigarette…I'm contemplating smashing this thing, and I don't even know why………I'm just sick of fucking seeing it (oh right…I've been coding all day).

BTW, Java might be the worst invention in the history of mankind.

oliosky
03-07-2012, 11:10 PM
Its just music man. Life and music doesn't have to be so serious that you need to throw computers on a regular basis.

mr.smashy
03-08-2012, 08:55 AM
This thread has gone so far from the OP's question it makes me ashamed.

mr.smashy
03-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Stuck as an example of how poor these threads go. The "What laptop is best for DJing" threads are a non-starter here, unless you have a specific question.

KLH
12-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Just piling on, if you want to vent Windows versus MacOS, go here:

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?2583-Which-is-better-Windows-or-MacOS&highlight=official+windows

-KLH

KLH
04-14-2016, 06:51 AM
I received this in a PM, so I thought that I'd share:

I'm looking for a good PC (good soundcard, drivers) to take with me and Traktor to club and bar gigs this summer, any recommendations? I've tried Macs many times (at work) but just prefer my trusty HP Pavilion even if Windows 10 is pushy. I'm thinking to keep my Pavilion at home and take another, audio-friendly PC with me to gigs. Any and all advice most gratefully appreciated.
I too, prefer Windows to MacOS and I've had great experiences with Dell and Lenovo laptops. I tend to prefer Intel CPUs over AMD and I'm pretty conservative with RAM (8GB). My current laptop is a Lenovo T410 with a 2.4GHz i5 and when I really push it with Traktor, the CPUs don't go over 60%.

Good luck and welcome to DJF!