PDA

View Full Version : EPIC SHOWDOWN: 7506 versus HD25-II

KLH
04-08-2013, 09:32 AM
EPIC SHOWDOWN DJF-style. This is for bragging rights. Which is the better headphone?

Just in case you were wondering, this isn't scientific. F science. This is strictly opinion, bishes. If you've got one like a real DJ does, then vote.

In the left corner, Sony's MDR-7506. It is the "standard" production headphone. It's sweet. So sweet, if fact, I own two. That's how much I love them... so, yeah, you know where my vote will be.

http://www.ohiohdvideo.com/images/products/Headphones.jpg

In the right corner, Sennheiser's HD-25-II. It's said to be the "standard" headphones for DJing. I've never heard them, but even I must admit that HD-25 II's reputation proceeds it.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/product/1916-sennheiser-hd-25-ii--large.jpg

So... vote away. Oh, and describe why you voted the way you did. If you just happen to be violently passionate about your headphones and it's not these, list what you use... and then go and buy one of these.

-KLH

Panotaker
04-08-2013, 10:12 AM
I personally like the HD-25II's. It is built like a tank. It is designed not to break. You might wear out the ear pads and the cord, but that is about it. I bet you can probably run them over with a car and they will probably bounce right back. For DJing, you don't need much sound quality, at least I don't. So I can pretty much use anything that makes noise. For listening to music, I use the Sennheiser HD-650's with either a tube headphone amp, or my Dragonfly USB DAC plugged into my MBP. I never heard the Sony's, so I can't comment on them. Im sure they sound just as good if not better than the HD-25II's. They don't look as durable however, but not too many people run over their headphones with their cars.

KLH
04-08-2013, 10:14 AM
... the Sony's... don't look as durable however, but not too many people run over their headphones with their cars.
Yeah, the Sony's would be dead if a car ran over them.

-KLH

M!TCH
04-08-2013, 10:30 AM
I'm going to have to disagree with Panotaker, I have the HD-25 II and while built well, are not something I would say "is built like a tank." They are well constructed, albeit, maybe not the most aesthetically pleasing cans on the market but who cares, as long as they work well.

I like the HD-25s as they worked better for me than the HDJ2000s. Better at isolation and not as fatiguing both weight, heat, and sound wise. I just love the sound they offer for the price you pay. I don't like very much color (cough Beats).

Manu
04-08-2013, 10:33 AM
I prefer the Sonys, but that has a lot to do with (production) versatility and circumaural design. The HD 25s are more of a DJ gig beast type. Slightly better design from sennheiser in terms of replacing parts if needed.

moyo wilde
04-08-2013, 11:05 AM
like a rock star!
http://images.thoughtsmedia.com/resizer/thumbs/size/600/wpt/auto/1274537145.usr11811.jpg
like a boss!

voted other. never going back. forget over ear, on ear, it is all about the in ear.

haven't had either of the listed earphones, have had technics headphones from day one, seven years ago, pure work horse.

Baller95
04-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Anyone wanna get me 1 of each headphone to test and review? :P

Finnish_Fox
04-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Wow, this is a tough call.

I like the 7506 more all-around but for DJing specifically, I am really liking the HD25s.

xs2man
04-08-2013, 11:40 AM
I have 2 pair of HD 25's, and one pair of Xone XD2-53's.

I use one pair of HD's for listening to music in general (ipod / phone / travelling), and another is used for Dj-ing, although I haven't really used them for that since getting my XD's.

And, to be fair, I was really wanting a pair of AIAIAI TMA-1's for DJ-ing before getting my first pair of HD's, but they were out of stock everywhere at the time, hence getting the HD's. The second set were bought second hand because they were cheap, and are my travelling 'phones, for planes etc...

Estacy
04-08-2013, 11:40 AM
neither are Beats.... why leave out the very best?

xs2man
04-08-2013, 11:43 AM

Ha ha ha...

Connor
04-08-2013, 11:48 AM
The HD 25 II is fantastic.

Adzm00
04-08-2013, 11:57 AM
it is all about the in ear.

It is never about in ear (except maybe when you are playing sport).

I voted HD25. I've never tried the sony, but I own the HD25 and I do own a lower version of the MDR (or whatever) for general listening walking around and they do sound good.

HD25's I remember were just so surprisingly good the first time I used them for a gig.

djpenguin
04-08-2013, 12:01 PM
7506 all day long. I've had mine for 13 years, and they're still going strong.

moyo wilde
04-08-2013, 12:22 PM
It is never about in ear (except maybe when you are playing sport).

I voted HD25. I've never tried the sony, but I own the HD25 and I do own a lower version of the MDR (or whatever) for general listening walking around and they do sound good.

HD25's I remember were just so surprisingly good the first time I used them for a gig.

seriously i am totally in love with them. i don't have to crank the volume up on them to hear, everything is crystal clear. i plug in and i always have to turn the headphone volume down from the previous dj. they all have them up waaaaaay too loud so that they can hear. used to be the same for me no longer. i leave one in for two plus hours with no discomfort, from fit or sound.

don;t knock it till you try it.

KLH
04-08-2013, 12:50 PM
[Thread moved to Accessories. Yes, I'm modding my own post. I can't hold myself down! -KLH]

Andrew B
04-08-2013, 01:05 PM
[Thread moved to Accessories. Yes, I'm modding my own post. I can't hold myself down! -KLH]

Infracted. :argh:

jz416
04-08-2013, 04:50 PM
seriously i am totally in love with them. i don't have to crank the volume up on them to hear, everything is crystal clear. i plug in and i always have to turn the headphone volume down from the previous dj. they all have them up waaaaaay too loud so that they can hear. used to be the same for me no longer. i leave one in for two plus hours with no discomfort, from fit or sound.

don;t knock it till you try it.

The only reason i dont use my IEMS when im djing is because of how long it takes to put them in and out. Do you do all your mixing in the phones?

Ntertainment
04-08-2013, 05:30 PM

You got sold to son!

Ntertainment
04-08-2013, 05:37 PM
I own the HD-25 they were my first pro headphones. Since then i've bought Pioneer HDj-2000, they suck, and ATHm-50, those are pretty nice. Neither compares in my mind to the HD-25. I love the size, sound, build, and comfort of the HD25. Plus they are made in Ireland what's not to like.

Phil Noize
04-09-2013, 07:11 AM
I own a pair of HD25-IIs, and a pair of Pioneer HDJ2000s. Of these the Senns are definitely the best IMO.

Having said that, I also own a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT1350s, and these are even better IMHO.

I haven't tried the Sony MDR-7506s, but their reputation precedes them as excellent phones for production. They're just not very flexible/adjustable for DJing (think on-the-shoulder monitoring etc).

moyo wilde
04-09-2013, 10:23 PM
i just put an iem in one ear my right ear. i mix off the monitors. it took some getting used to. i don't think i would want to mix in the headphones it would feel way too separated from the floor.

moyo wilde
06-02-2013, 10:31 PM
wanted to add i don't pull the iem out till i am done. i always put the iem in an hour before i play so that i can listen to the other dj playing and adjust my hearing so i know what everything should sound like with an iem in one ear.