PDA

View Full Version : If you had it to do over again, what's the LEAST amount/power/etc. you'd consider?

ghostnotes
04-07-2013, 10:13 AM
I've been thinking a while about how to ask this. This is some great information spread throughout this forum, but I'm interested in the opinions of this collection of working mobile DJs on the gear/prices they'd be looking at if they had it to do all over again. Perhaps an example would be best: regarding speakers, there are plenty of opinions out there about how much bounce to bring per ounce, favored brands, etc. Many mention Mackie SRM450s as being all they need for most gigs and they add subs, while others suggest they simply don't bring enough oomph and they would spend at least X to get whatever (QSC K12s, etc.).

So, I'd like to know the line below which you wouldn't go, either in cost, amount, or power/specs/features/whatever, should you have to replace the following (your average or typical size/shapes of gigs considered):

Speakers
Subs
Lights/Hardware
Your favorite pieces of gear you simply couldn't live without.

You may have guessed, but I'm in the process of planning for eventual gear purchase and I my #1 goal is to not "leave it short." I've made decisions around controller/laptop, but I'm lining up all other gear. I'd rather wait another month or two and save for the good stuff than settle.

Your thoughts greatly appreciated - cheers!

MouseAT
04-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Sound wise, I'm running a pair of RCF ART-422s, which are 400W per side with a 2" compression driver. They're more than adequate for the vast majority of events that I've done. Even in big rooms or marquees they've been OK - nice and loud on the dance floor, audible but not deafening at the other end of the room. I did do a school gig once in a large hall, and there I was having to run them flat out to fill the room completely. They managed, but there was no headroom left. I'd consider them a good baseline - if you're regularly doing big school hall/gym scale gigs where you really need the noise, you'd probably want a bit more power (or at least a good sub), but otherwise something around the 400W mark will probably serve you well.

I love the sound from them. They sound clear, don't sound harsh even at high volumes and are fairly light weight. They also don't need subs to sound good - you can add a sub for extra low end if you're going a gig that warrants it, but they'll give you decent enough bass for most events and types of music on their own.

As for lighting, I'm running a couple of the X-Move LED Plus (10w) moving heads, and a pair of the original Chauvet Obsession LED (Mk1) moonflowers. I'd say they're roughy equivalent to 150W halogen fixtures. They're OK for short throws to the dance floor, but get a bit lost in bigger rooms. If I was buying new kit, I'd be looking for 250W halogen equivalents ie. 25W LED and up.

DJ EZBeats
04-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Typically it's all about budget. You want to maximize your budget to get the absolute best gear you can afford. Obviously the higher the quality, the higher the price, but its usually worth it in my opinion. Do you do mostly weddings? Bar gigs? schools? That dictates what to get sometimes as well. For me, I do mostly weddings..my main system includes 2 K10s and the kw181 sub. I don't do lighting, so I can't answer that, and I had the VCI 300, upgraded to now using the NS6, and haven't seen anything worth upgrading lately (including the ddj sx) and I absolutely LOVE it.

I just redid my sound system, so i kinda just did it all over again, going all QSC was a no brainer for me.

Hope that helps.

ampnation
04-07-2013, 01:29 PM
If buying now I would be torn. SPL isn't the only concern. Mixer section, appearance, DSP, warranty, etc. Come into play.

I have k10s and passive subs but now that I know more I'm trading my passive subs for KW181. They'll work well with no external processing, matched to k or KW tops and performance for a smallish sub is fantastic.

Since I bought the k10's there was a period where RCF art312a were so cheap, I would have jumped on those. Now the value leader seems to be the yamaha DSX line. I'm not convinced their subs are in a class with the KW181 though. JBL PRX 12's with the XLF sub seems a great choice too. RCF of course too but not the screaming deal they were a couple years ago.

Bottom line. If buying now I would probably get yamaha DSX12 and take a chance with the 18 in. Sub from the DSR line.

It seems all the viable options from where I sit are around $2000-2500 with one sub. Going to 2 or more subs, look for the lower priced subs.
Also I think it is smart to avoid an extra piece of equipment in a crossover by getting a matched system in most cases.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

robare99
04-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Yorkville Rig
A pair of Unity15's over LS800p's kicks all sorts of ass all day long.

Lights: lots of LED's.

KLH
04-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Speakers
Subs
Lights/Hardware
Your favorite pieces of gear you simply couldn't live without.
I have the most minimum setup ever:

* Laptop - $500
* Kontrol S4 Controller with Traktor Pro - $800
* Line6 XD-V55 Wireless Mic - $350 (used)
* Two Mackie SRM-450s and a Mackie SWA-1501 sub - $1200 (Used)
* 4' Height-adjustable table - $40
* Black table skirt - $35
* Sony MDR-7506 Headphones - $100
* NO LIGHTS

Total: $3250

This setup is what I use for school events, house parties, and corporate events. While I do mobile DJing "on-the-side", this setup has paid for itself many times over. I have zero regrets on purchasing this setup.

-KLH

fueledbymusic
04-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Well, if I had to start over. I would stay with the tuba 24s, perhaps upgrade the driver. Probably stay with the QSC GX3, and the BR12s.
I would change my CD sys to a Numark Mixdeck quad. And for my lights I would stay with what I have now. Only cause I made sure I did all lights LED, when I shopped for lights. So for the most part, I'm happy with my set up.

Robdogg
04-07-2013, 06:48 PM
I just finnished my re-build/re-tool of my system. I'm running DSR15's over DXS15's for my main system, power to weight it was the best setup I could come up with for the money. I still have a pair of LS801's for the big events though. I'm amazed by the output of the new yamaha stuff for the size. In Canada for the money the tops cant be touched. In my neck of the woods a lot of the mini systems coming out would be useless as the average wedding crowd is still 200+.

Brom
04-07-2013, 07:23 PM
I have the most minimum setup ever:

* Laptop - $500
* Kontrol S4 Controller with Traktor Pro - $800
* Line6 XD-V55 Wireless Mic - $350 (used)
* Two Mackie SRM-450s and a Mackie SWA-1501 sub - $1200 (Used)
* 4' Height-adjustable table - $40
* Black table skirt - $35
* Sony MDR-7506 Headphones - $100
* NO LIGHTS

Total: $3250
-KLH

That sounds like the setup I used for years, but I bought all my gear new so you saved quite a bit. Bought the Mackie PA new back in 1999/2000 when the 450/1500 combo first came out and used it for 10 years of band & DJ gigs. Got the S4 and the XDV70 mic when they first came out in early 2011. Got my MDR-7506 headphones back in 1995 and still going strong!

Upgraded to RCF 312a tops in summer 2011 and sold all the Mackie gear in 2012. Used the money for a KV2 EX2.2 sub and just last week bought a pair of used KV2 EX12 tops to complete that setup. Fitting since the KV2 guys designed the original Mackie stuff I had. After hearing the sound quality I'd never run anything else unless I stepped up my game to Danley, Meyer, or Fulcrum Acoustic. Keeping the RCFs around for a while since they're mint in bags and can always use them as monitors at band gigs.

Just for kicks I might rent a Meyer 600-HP sub and a pair of UPA-1P tops for a big wedding later this summer at the Shedd Aquarium. The sound company I'd originally rented the KV2 gear from just got that sub in - double 15" and 200+ pounds. My KV2 system would be more than adequate but I'm eager to see how the Meyer sub sounds compared to a Danley TH-118.

Guess my motto is "buy once, cry once." Save your money and buy something better quality (either new or used) and do it right the first time. Replacing something that craps out on you is more expensive than just saving/waiting and buying something nicer in the first place.

DJ Higgumz
04-07-2013, 10:07 PM
I love everything I own, they all have their uses. If I didn't like it I would have sold it. one being a sonic crapimizer.
my BFM t60s are probably the most impressive, as i don't think there is any pa cab that goes down to 25 hz

DjNeedleSharp
04-07-2013, 10:58 PM
I second the pair of K10 and a Kw181 setup. $2300 for the set of 3 with totes.

For lights, there's a huge variance...
I'd say my Blizzard Q6a's are the best buy I've ever made. 4 of those things can easily fill a school gym with adequate wash.
For "Bang for the Buck" effect lights/scanners, I still miss my old Chauvet Intimidator 2.0s which you can pick up for $120 each used all the time. I'd stay far away from movers unless you have over $1k each and at least 4 to invest in. Just not worth it for the budget stuff IMO...

Oh and stick to T bar setups until you can afford or need anything larger and go with real 12" box truss. The cheap ladder truss is trash.

ghostnotes
04-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Great input all, each of you has touched on some of everything, and this has been really helpful! I'll be sifting through these recommendations and adding to/adjusting my plans - if anyone has more suggestions, please fire away! For those wondering about budget before answering - fair enough - thing is, I'm trying to establish it via some of this input. Again, my goal is to start out with equipment that's going to help distinguish starting with most critical/valuable for the dollar components first, then adding on later. If that's a $1k controller, a $1.5k laptop, and a $3k speaker setup along with cabling, stands, table and no lights at all, nothing else, so be it. If that's everything mentioned, but $5k on the speakers, $2.5 on a 6x13 enclosed trailer, $1k on trussing with $2k worth of lights, so be it.

So, if it's possible to pretend money is no object while at the same time remaining somewhat practical, let me know what you'd require to be as comfortable as you are now with your rigs without being too unnecessary.

DJ Grimes
04-08-2013, 11:01 AM
To me, It's all a process in motion. I started with 2 JBL JRX125's and a crown amp, 2 1200's that I've had since 1985, and a Pioneer 600 mixer and no lights. I am now on my third speaker setup, 2 JBl PRX718s subs and 2 JBl PRX615m tops. I purchased 1 sub and then got the other one 6 months later. 2 cdj 800's for bigger gigs and ns6 for smaller gigs. I purchased 2 four play/four bar setups for lights. Actually taking the time to learn what lights to get now (So upgrade in lights coming soon). And I would also like to get another speaker set-up for smaller gigs/rooms. I find that you will always be tweaking your setup here and there to get what you really want.